Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Superbowl - takeaways

Rackeen305

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's because I quoted the wrong post... I was responding to your other post about two of the top lauded QBs, but we're talking about the trenches.

And I'm thinking that having good QB play is essential, but if your team gets dominated in the trenches, you're going to have a problem, even if you have great QB play. (Didn't help that the Chiefs receivers were unable to catch any of those crazy throws that Mahomes somehow was able to put in their hands...)

I don't think the Chiefs have a flawed roster or a flawed approach. Like you said, their OL is beat up. But I think they were expecting a bit more from their own defensive front (pass rush and run defense), and fewer penalties from their secondary. 

others said it, but Pat looked like Luck at points, just trying to make it happen despite little support up front. 

The difference between the two might simply be circumstance.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, The Fish said:

others said it, but at points Pat looked like Luck at points, just trying to make it happen despite little support up front. 

The difference between the two might simply be circumstance.

Their offense kind of looked like ours in the 2014 AFCCG.

Just now, Superman said:

I guess I'm overly snarky this morning. My bad, just had some pent up sarcasm I guess.

Just saying that if the roster times out on rookie contracts and we don't have a QB, it's mostly because Ballard's team building has been undermined severely by losing the franchise QB with no warning. He spent at least $20m extra in cap space over the last couple seasons to stabilize the QB spot, and didn't get anywhere near Luck's level of playmaking. And that $20m might have been useful for a playmaker at another position.

Certainly a factor a team can't do everything overnight. 

I'm just saying that there's pieces to the puzzle that need paid soon and they're not dictating the celling. I wouldn't be shocked if quality players are let go in FA- while stuff is still being built. 

48 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

- Some of those plays where Mahomes wouldn't throw the ball. I have never seen him play like that. And it wasn't the toe injury...because he ran nearly 500 yards in scramble drills.

I saw your post and assumed you were exaggerating. But I just saw this stat, and wow. 497 yards scrambling.

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I'm just saying that there's pieces to the puzzle that need paid soon and they're not dictating the celling. I wouldn't be shocked if quality players are let go in FA- while stuff is still being built. 

Early in the season when Rivers wasn't playing well and the run game wasn't performing, I started feeling like we might be headed for a tear down. Don't know how that shakes out now, but I don't think our roster is as close as everyone likes to say. The biggest issue is we don't have any proven and reliable edge rushers, and I don't think we have a path to getting any this offseason.

52 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Agree...just an awful watch all around. Terrible product...and inevitable TB slob fest (deserved...but still ugh). I didn't care who won...but I was very disappointed that this was the end of the season.

The KC OL/TB DL was a huge part...but as an unbiased fan...the officiating was terrible. Just because the refs got bailed out in the 2nd half (by TB winning by a lot)...doesn't mean they shouldn't be held to account. They definitely allowed 11-14 points to score that most likely wouldn't have scored. And that allowed TB to go up by multiple scores...where the game script completely favored TB against KC's battered OL.

I would love to see the All 22 to see:

- Some of those plays where Mahomes wouldn't throw the ball. I have never seen him play like that. And it wasn't the toe injury...because he ran nearly 500 yards in scramble drills.

- Would love to see if the KC OL was just standing up and letting guys through...because it looked like that at times in the 2nd half.

- If TB's DBs were getting away with being physical. Considering they were all over every pass...I am guessing they were given a lot more rope.

TB was definitely the better team...but it should have been a much closer game...oh well.

What I saw was Kelce and Hill not being as wide open nearly as often as usual.  Kelce had a few moments, but many of his targets had a defender right there.

I'd like to see a stat on the number of passes defended by TB.  I'll bet it was a lot higher than what usually happens to KC.

And several passes were behind KCs receivers, even when Mahomes wasn't pressured.  The screen passes were awful.

And Hill only caught 3 balls, so Bowles figured a way to take him out of the game.  And KC didn't seem particularly innovative in finding other ways to get him the ball.

Concussion protocol.  Bad toe.  Relying on LeBron's good play to be the entire offensive game plan could come crashing down on KC next season.

50 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I'd suggest they're missing most of that list tbh.

QB and Secondary for sure. TE? Not bad here, but not dominate, at all. Explosive WR's? We've got guys who are supposed to be good in the future is what I'm gathering, and I think they will be.

Our D line has Buckner. That's good. He makes other guys better. Not sure though that when a guy like Suh could just be had, that trading a first to do that was really the best long term plan, but we'll see.

Ha, crap. Ballard has more work cut out for him than you'd normally project for a playoff squad. I guess this is why the turnover rate is so high for playoff participants. 

The Colts are absolutely missing multiple big pieces. And these needs are going to clash with having to pay substantially more to keep the core players they do have. Not to sound rude...but at times I think there's some delusion from fans with it comes to the current roster construction. 

Consider this example of roster construction. Ali Marpet is a fantastic G...and TB drafted him near the end of the 2nd round (with the Colts original 2nd round pick that year ugh). TB re-signed Marpet for 5/$55M in 2018 (when the cap was $177M...which is probably close to what it will be this year).

Contrast to Big Q...who was the #6 pick in the draft. And in a similar cap environment (perhaps even less favorable due to the unknowns around COVID)...you have Colts fans that want to make Big Q the highest paid OL in the NFL (not G...OL player). Big Q is a great player...but he's not worth 2x as much as Marpet. And a move like that has substantial opportunity cost to the rest of the roster.

And then there's Leonard...who I think is going to want damn near DE money. Not that he shouldn't want that...he's worth what someone will give him...but paying a WILL like that is going to have an impact on the roster as well. 

Not that those two players are at all a problem...but their cap hits will be compounded by the needs that still exist on this team.

I have no doubt the "IND has a roster just like TB" narrative will run rampant...but the reality is that the Colts aren't really that close TB....who is probably better at every position group...except STs and RBs...and STs didn't hold TB back. Not to mention that TB's running game actually finished higher than the Colts (according to DVOA).

At best...IND is a poor man's TB...and like you said...Ballard has his work cut out for him. I still contend the only way to elevate the Colts roster to that type of level is to get a good young cost-controlled QB (ideally a rookie)...which allows for the flexibility to be much more aggressive via other means like FA and trades. I would be surprised if that was Eason...but if it was...even better. But the alternative of signing a FA or trading for a vet starter under a big contract just feels like a step sideways at best.

/end of rant

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

The more I think about it, the more I realize we're further away than a lot on social media are giving us credit for. There's a lot of holes in this team that need fixing, and not a lot of resources to do much with for another year or so. 

yes and it will take a long time to fix it if ballard wont sign proven talent

12 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

The Colts are absolutely missing multiple big pieces. And these needs are going to clash with having to pay substantially more to keep the core players they do have. Not to sound rude...but at times I think there's some delusion from fans with it comes to the current roster construction. 

Consider this example of roster construction. Ali Marpet is a fantastic G...and TB drafted him near the end of the 2nd round (with the Colts original 2nd round pick that year ugh). TB re-signed Marpet for 5/$55M in 2018 (when the cap was $177M...which is probably close to what it will be this year).

Contrast to Big Q...who was the #6 pick in the draft. And in a similar cap environment (perhaps even less favorable due to the unknowns around COVID)...you have Colts fans that want to make Big Q the highest paid OL in the NFL (not G...OL player). Big Q is a great player...but he's not worth 2x as much as Marpet. And a move like that has substantial opportunity cost to the rest of the roster.

And then there's Leonard...who I think is going to want damn near DE money. Not that he shouldn't want that...he's worth what someone will give him...but paying a WILL like that is going to have an impact on the roster as well. 

Not that those two players are at all a problem...but their cap hits will be compounded by the needs that still exist on this team.

I have no doubt the "IND has a roster just like TB" narrative will run rampant...but the reality is that the Colts aren't really that close TB....who is probably better at every position group...except STs and RBs...and STs didn't hold TB back. Not to mention that TB's running game actually finished higher than the Colts (according to DVOA).

At best...IND is a poor man's TB...and like you said...Ballard has his work cut out for him. I still contend the only way to elevate the Colts roster to that type of level is to get a good young cost-controlled QB (ideally a rookie)...which allows for the flexibility to be much more aggressive via other means like FA and trades. I would be surprised if that was Eason...but if it was...even better. But the alternative of signing a FA or trading for a vet starter under a big contract just feels like a step sideways at best.

/end of rant

I feel that if the Colts have to make the most out of their draft picks, they need to get their LT and a key pass rusher in free agency to give them all the options they need in the draft. Can't go into the draft needing both a QB and LT, IMO.

24 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Are people really saying this?

Bucs are significantly better at edge rush and WR.

32 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

/end of rant

But what an excellent rant it was.  The Colts were heading for this awkward roster construction when they went C, FS, and G in three years using picks no less than pick 18,

I understand that if we had Luck now like we are supposed to, things would look different, but we would still have the same roster awkwardness that his play would have to make up for too much.

Having said that, having two ILBs like TB does is a good thing.  But Leonard is no LaVonte David, at least yet, and I hope he's not looking for twice David's money.

29 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

/end of rant

this is a thought out take on what's going on..

I see it similarly 

52 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Honestly...I would applaud Ballard for having the cojones to do something like that...like trading a stud player (who is up for a new huge contract) for picks and then using those picks to address QB...while also saving money to use elsewhere.

If done right...the team can definitely get better.

That said...I don't see him doing that. 

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Honestly...I would applaud Ballard for having the cojones to do something that build...like trading a stud player (who is up for a new huge contract) for picks and then using those picks to address QB...while also saving money to use elsewhere.

If done right...the team can definitely get better.

That said...I don't see him doing that. 

Can't speak for the current GM, but I know I've got post Grigson stress disorder (lol) about trading guys in their prime who can actually play, given that for a time, finding the next guy up simply didn't happen. That said, moving one of these guys who are going to want premium pay at a position that doesn't require it, would have some upside attached to it, but.. I don't see it happening either.

39 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What I saw was Kelce and Hill not being as wide open nearly as often as usual.  Kelce had a few moments, but many of his targets had a defender right there.

I'd like to see a stat on the number of passes defended by TB.  I'll bet it was a lot higher than what usually happens to KC.

And several passes were behind KCs receivers, even when Mahomes wasn't pressured.  The screen passes were awful.

And Hill only caught 3 balls, so Bowles figured a way to take him out of the game.  And KC didn't seem particularly innovative in finding other ways to get him the ball.

Concussion protocol.  Bad toe.  Relying on LeBron's good play to be the entire offensive game plan could come crashing down on KC next season.

There were downs when he wasn't pressured?

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Are people really saying this?

Bucs are significantly better at edge rush and WR.

Not yet...aside from homers on Twitter. But if the Colts go out and trade for Wentz...I think you will start to hear more about how IND can win like TB did. 

Admittedly though...I was exaggerating for effect (as I often do). I am more speaking more to the idea that IND has TB's blueprint...when they aren't particularly close in that regard. The Colts are missing several pieces that TB has (before you even get to QB).

Just now, The Fish said:

Can't speak for the current GM, but I know I've got post Grigson stress disorder (lol) about trading guys in their prime who can actually play, given that for a time, finding the next guy up simply didn't happen. That said, moving one of these guys who are going to want premium pay at a position that doesn't require it, would have some upside attached to it, but.. I don't see it happening either.

Ballard and his staff appear to be dramatically better at drafting than Grigson and his staff were. They traded Hughes for a nobody, then drafted Werner, who couldn't play.

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

There were downs when he wasn't pressured?

Well, screen plays is what I was referring too.  They have pressure by design, and he was inaccurate on every one of them.

Just watching KC play alot, Mahomes never seems to stay in the pocket anyway, so its hard to tell how much the pressure really mattered. 

Maybe it was simply that TB has proper edge rushers that keep him contained and Suh can clog up the middle lanes.  

And with how many passes the TB DBs and LBs defended, Mahomes problems may have been coverage sack related.  

I'd just rather point to superior game plan and execution by TB rather than making excuses for KC, but I don't like LeBron-ball in the NFL so I see it that way.

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Not yet...aside from homers on Twitter. But if the Colts go out and trade for Wentz...I think you will start to hear more about how IND can win like TB did. 

Admittedly though...I was exaggerating for effect (as I often do). I am more speaking more to the idea that IND has TB's blueprint...when they aren't particularly close in that regard. The Colts are missing several pieces that TB has (before you even get to QB).

Yeah, our blueprint isn't the same because what they've built looks significantly different than what we've built.

(I'm also not entirely on board with propping up the Bucs as the definitive experts on team building. They have a lot of older players who played well for two months, but could completely fall apart next year. They have several FAs, including their best pass rusher, and other defensive vets. They have a good team. They're not the ideal to which every team should aspire, IMO.)

I think our roster is good enough to compete, maybe get hot for a few weeks and do something special, if we have good enough QB play. I don't think we have a roster that will just dominate in the AFC. Like Ballard said, we haven't even won the division in six years. 

14 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Scramble = Buy time. Just because your can scramble (Brees, TB12, Rodgers) doesn't mean you are mobile (Josh Allan, Lamar, Jackson, Watson). Scramble is the key word.

Better yet, because I know people like you love to fact check with lose arguments, here is the definition of scramble 

"make one's way quickly or awkwardly up a steep slope or over rough ground by using one's hands as well as one's feet."

In other words, the opposite of RIvers. Try again.

I don't recall TB12 scambling that game...and Brees doesn't strike me as one to scramble either.

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

Ballard and his staff appear to be dramatically better at drafting than Grigson and his staff were. They traded Hughes for a nobody, then drafted Werner, who couldn't play.

That happened didn't it..

Hughes was the last Polian era pick?

Grigson probably didn't know he couldn't pick yet.. lol

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

That happened didn't it..

Hughes was the last Polian era pick?

Grigson probably didn't know he couldn't pick yet.. lol

Hughes was picked in 2010, AC was picked in 2011, and was the last first rounder of the Polian era. 

I think Hughes had a problem with the Colts, based on some comments he made after he was traded. But they picked Werner in 2013, then traded Hughes a couple months later. If Werner becomes a good pass rusher, maybe we don't feel it as much, but still, why not keep your good young pass rushers?

As it turns out, Werner was awful. Hughes didn't become a HOFer, but was definitely better than Werner, and is still in the league more than five years after Werner retired. 

I think Grigson had a good first year. After that, he made very few good decisions, IMO. Maybe ironically, his last first round pick was pretty good.

And yet they just won the sb???? Our roster is more than good enough to compete. So we haven't won the division in 6 years? When was the last time Tampa won their division??? The answer is laughable. Tampa must not have had a 3-5 year plan Arians has only been there 2(that's less than Reich here). I just don't understand all the negativity, obviously there are more factors at work to winning in the nfl than roster building.

22 minutes ago, DougDew said:

But what an excellent rant it was.  The Colts were heading for this awkward roster construction when they went C, FS, and G in three years using picks no less than pick 18,

I understand that if we had Luck now like we are supposed to, things would look different, but we would still have the same roster awkwardness that his play would have to make up for too much.

Having said that, having two ILBs like TB does is a good thing.  But Leonard is no LaVonte David, at least yet, and I hope he's not looking for twice David's money.

David was another example I was going to use. But he's 5 years older than Leonard...and signed his second contract in 2015. That deal was 5/$50M...when salary cap was $143M. So it will have grown about ~25% since then...so let's just say $13M in current AAV.

I cannot imagine a scenario where Leonard signs for $13M/year. 

I do agree that having (2) athletic talented LBs is key. I even wanted to draft Fred Warner even when they had drafted Leonard. And I was really excited about the prospect of a Leonard/Oke combo...but Oke wasn't very good this season. And if you watch a LB group like David/White...the Colts LBs don't seem on that level.

So as crazy it sounds...you might even have to add ILB to the list of team needs in a season or two (if Oke doesn't take a big step forward).

1 minute ago, Two_pound said:

And yet they just won the sb???? Our roster is more than good enough to compete. So we haven't won the division in 6 years? When was the last time Tampa won their division??? The answer is laughable. Tampa must not have had a 3-5 year plan Arians has only been there 2(that's less than Reich here). I just don't understand all the negativity, obviously there are more factors at work to winning in the nfl than roster building.

What could possibly be more important to winning than the quality of your roster?

Tampa dramatically supplemented their roster in 2020. They weren't just a QB away. The point with regard to the Colts is that our roster needs to be better to be a real competitor in 2021, we're not just a QB away. 

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

And in a similar cap environment (perhaps even less favorable due to the unknowns around COVID)...

The cap environment isn't similar. In the short term, there's uncertainty, but in all likelihood, the cap increases that were previously expected -- due to the new CBA and new partnership deals -- will still be realized. 

Yes, need a left tackle because Costanzo retired, need more help at wr. I think this defense is outstanding when we are aggressive and  don't play "stand around and watch" the opponent  complete easy pitch and catch slants(see Cincinnati and Pittsburgh games for 2 obvious examples). Qb will be a problem, we should go with Eason or a reliable veteran like Wentz, but I would not trade our 1st rounder for him, so there would have to be other options. And we also need to stop making critical errors at crucial moments of a game. That has happened way to often these past 25 years or so.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

What could possibly be more important to winning than the quality of your roster?

Tampa dramatically supplemented their roster in 2020. They weren't just a QB away. The point with regard to the Colts is that our roster needs to be better to be a real competitor in 2021, we're not just a QB away. 

Yes and No.  Depends on the QB.  Had luck came back for the 2020 season, I think the team would've won 2 more games.  That would have been a 13-3 season.   Won the division and hosted a playoff game.  

With a retread like Darnold, Trubisky or Wentz, you are correct, they would not be good enough to win 13 games.   Assuming we draft a LT in the first round, I think the O-line will be good.  RB situation is good.  I'm pretty happy with the WR core.  TE needs addressed.   I'd like to see them sign and keep Cox.   maybe draft a TE in the mid to later rounds of the draft.  The holes on defense will be harder to fill.  

3 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I’m just happy Belichick was sitting at home watching the QB he drove out of town win without him. The hoodie is obviously good but this ends the discussion of who was more important. Brady is the GOAT and I’m happy he just got his 7th championship.  We are witnessing something that will probably never be duplicated.  I can appreciate this on a historic level before I go back to hating that pretty boy pansy in a day or two. 

Man I hate him.  But yeah.  He's friggin awesome.  Since 2014 he's been the GOAT.  Like just 2014 until now.  Before that he hadn't won a SB in a decade and you could put several QBs above him.   Unreal.

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yes and No.  Depends on the QB.  Had luck came back for the 2020 season, I think the team would've won 2 more games.  That would have been a 13-3 season.   Won the division and hosted a playoff game.  

With a retread like Darnold, Trubisky or Wentz, you are correct, they would not be good enough to win 13 games.   Assuming we draft a LT in the first round, I think the O-line will be good.  RB situation is good.  I'm pretty happy with the WR core.  TE needs addressed.   I'd like to see them sign and keep Cox.   maybe draft a TE in the mid to later rounds of the draft.  The holes on defense will be harder to fill.  

There's a lot of "ifs" in this post...

To the bolded... but who's playing QB if you spend your first rounder on a LT? And is that LT ready to play on an island in Year 1? (Probably not.)

Wentz is better than Darnold or Trubisky. I'm not thrilled about giving up a high pick for him, but I think he would be good for us.

And on defense, we don't have good pass rushers outside of Buckner. Do you bring back Houston and/or Autry, and even if you do, are you expecting the pass rush to somehow be better? Are you counting on Turay to do something? 

Who's playing corner? Are you bringing back Rhodes?

Like I said, if we got hot, that would be one thing. If we had a good QB who could carry the offense/team through a dry spell, maybe. But thinking that our roster -- as we see it now -- is just a QB away from looking like either of the teams in the SB is just fooling ourselves. I was very happy to hear Ballard say 'we're not a SB team.' 

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, our blueprint isn't the same because what they've built looks significantly different than what we've built.

(I'm also not entirely on board with propping up the Bucs as the definitive experts on team building. They have a lot of older players who played well for two months, but could completely fall apart next year. They have several FAs, including their best pass rusher, and other defensive vets. They have a good team. They're not the ideal to which every team should aspire, IMO.)

I think our roster is good enough to compete, maybe get hot for a few weeks and do something special, if we have good enough QB play. I don't think we have a roster that will just dominate in the AFC. Like Ballard said, we haven't even won the division in six years. 

Same here. And they didn't even really have success until Brady showed up.

But Licht has done a pretty good job since showing up in 2014. Winston was an unfortunate whiff, as was the 2016 draft class, but many of the key players in that SB came via the draft. Had they hit on the Winston pick...they were set up for a lot of success I think.

Their FA moves panned out this season...but I am sure Brady had a lot to do with those players coming to TB. 

But I do appreciate their commitment to bringing in consistently drafting skill position players. 

8 minutes ago, The Fish said:

*Colts fan..

but yeah.. He's now the greatest North American team sport athlete. Without contemporary peer. Sorry Jordan. 

He just needs to retire for a couple of years and come back and win 3 SBs. Then I will put him on the same level as Jordan. People forget how hard it was that MJ did. :thmup:

Archived