Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nickname for Defense

LJpalmbeacher2

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Until they play a decent OL and decent offense (next week vs Browns), they don't deserve a nickname.

If they don't look good next week, I'm going to laugh at all the people going "what happened".... 

Not that I think we'll do bad, I just think folks aren't paying enough attention. 

I was perusing Youtube last night for post-game commentary, and I came across the NBCSports Chicago post-game.  It was 5 guys, some former players, that sit around and talk about the game.  They were blown away and mentioned like 3 times just how many guys the Colts seemed to have around the ball.  They even felt that Chicago got out-Chicago'd on defense.  I guess I hadn't really payed much attention to the swarming aspect of the defense but they certainly noticed and were impressed by it.

26 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I was perusing Youtube last night for post-game commentary, and I came across the NBCSports Chicago post-game.  It was 5 guys, some former players, that sit around and talk about the game.  They were blown away and mentioned like 3 times just how many guys the Colts seemed to have around the ball.  They even felt that Chicago got out-Chicago'd on defense.  I guess I hadn't really payed much attention to the swarming aspect of the defense but they certainly noticed and were impressed by it.

Well, it stands out because the Colts’ brand for many years has been associated more with offense than defense.  If we were the Ravens or Steelers, it would just be business as usual.

I don’t want to get out over our skis, though.  I also don’t want to take anything away from our D.

They’ve played really well for 3.5 of our 4 games and have definitely, at times, looked like an elite NFL defense.  But, as many have said, we haven’t yet played a top offense yet.

Since a Week 1 debacle where they only put up 6, the Browns have scored 35, 34, and 49.  Rank 3rd in scoring offense, 8th in total offense.

So we’ll be getting a much stiffer test this week.

5 hours ago, jmac_48 said:

Perfect but way outdated...

the youngsters won't understand.

:lol: we be getting old

Yeah, good point.  To be good, a cultural-reference nickname has to be at least somewhat timely — like the Purple People Eaters, the Bruise Brothers, and the Legion of Boom.

Only old farts remember who the wrestler “The Blue Meanie” was....and only really old farts remember who the original Blue Meanies were.

18 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Yeah, good point.  To be good, a cultural-reference nickname has to be at least somewhat timely — like the Purple People Eaters, the Bruise Brothers, and the Legion of Boom.

Only old farts remember who the wrestler “The Blue Meanie” was....and only really old farts remember who the original Blue Meanies were.

I resemble that remark. :lecture:

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Until they play a decent OL and decent offense (next week vs Browns), they don't deserve a nickname.

If they don't look good next week, I'm going to laugh at all the people going "what happened".... 

Not that I think we'll do bad, I just think folks aren't paying enough attention. 

Putting the cart before the "Blue Beasts" .......oh wait we said it's too early for nicknames. I agree with you 100%. Outside the Bengals and Texans will really show if the defense has turned the corner!!

Honestly, I think I agree with those who said that it's early to be talking about a nickname.  We've played 4 offenses that range anywhere from average to bad.  And one of the better offenses we played just changed jockeys.

But it's still kind of a fun exercise....especially since it's not a common thing for people to be taking notice of our defense.

I'm going to try to think of some more....

Blu-Tang Clan - still dated, but certainly not as much as a Beatles reference

Tangled Up In Blue - 70s Dylan.  OK, I'm officially showing my age here.

Horseshoes and Hand Grenades - Maybe politically incorrect?

Cobalt Chaos - Alliteration is always good.  Maybe a bit generic...trying to find a different word for blue

Teal Curtain - Too bad teal has green in it and is an official Jags color...plus it would be ripping off the 70s Steelers.

Circle City Swarm - More alliteration.  But I wish Circle and City started with S.

10 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Putting the cart before the "Blue Beasts" .......oh wait we said it's too early for nicknames. I agree with you 100%. Outside the Bengals and Texans will really show if the defense has turned the corner!!

Really hoping we stone cold shut the Browns down. Doubt we do, but I guy can hope. Much bigger task for our entire D.

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Really hoping we stone cold shut the Browns down. Doubt we do, but I guy can hope. Much bigger task for our entire D.

It's all relative.  A defense doesn't have to shut down a really good offense in order to positively affect the outcome of the game.  Merely slowing them down is often enough to do the trick.

But that's why the offense is going to have to do its part in putting points on the board.  We're going to need more Red Zone TD conversions than we got against the Bears if we're going to win -- 19 pts. probably wouldn't get it done against a Top 5 offense.

Like the song by America   "Horse with no name"  " To much like no name defense" 

"Biden our time"        " To Political"

"Blue State Trump"     " Still to Political

" Horse Feathers"        " Funny, but wouldn't be taken seriously"

" Mr. ED        " Who ever heard of a talking horse' also could be misconstrued as  a male dysfunction

Maybe we should hold off on the name game. LOL 

Archived