Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The 2020 Colts

CR91

Mostly excited to see “The big 4” All of Rivers, Taylor, Pittman, Buckner will have major impacts from day 1 on IMO. 

That said. It’s gonna end up being the “big 5” IMO. I’m extremely excited to see Rhodes. He’s always been one of my favorite CB’s. I wanted him in the 2013 draft but yeah. We won’t go there. I’m Just glad we picked him up. He had a bad year last season but I think with a new team, new environment, he can and will revive his career and go back to being one of the top corners in the NFL. I really believe he’s gonna come out and just kill it with us. 

I’m also interested in seeing how Pinter and O’Donnall look in camp and preseason. Both are a couple year projects I know. But I’m pretty excited about both. 

Imma throw my boy Hot Rod in this conversation too. I think he can be out K of the future. 

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Which of the free agent additions and draft picks are you excited to see? Honesty I can't wait to see Eason in the preseason. Weird choice I know, but I'm curious in what we have.

I wanna see Eason throwin fastballs in preseason like the Wild Thing in major league.  
Cornerbacks better have their heads on a swivel!

It would Be REALLY cool to take out the opposing mascot and make a name for himself early.

I was thinkin about the “overall”.  Alot will depend on things working out but... this offseason and draft, it appears we have made MAJOR improvements at QB, WR,RB, DT(Buckner) at the very least.

We made significant improvements and /or solid depth (or better) at CB, DT (day),S,OL,

We also added players for long-term plans with Eason,Taylor,Pittman, and some exciting later picks as well as a potential kicker.  

QB, DT, WR i believe were the  main offseason needs in most peoples views.  Ballard added major talent improvements at all three, as well as depth and future development.  The offseason really looks better the more you study it.  
  At cuts, there will be several very serviceable vet OTs to offer 1 or 2 year deals as depth. Maybe even a TE, CB, DE, or whoever Ballard feels can improve the team.  This was a great draft for most teams.  There will be some good players cut this year.

2 hours ago, coltsfan_canada said:

Our top 2 picks Buckner & Taylor

That would technically be Buckner and Pittman.  

Still I want to see all three plus hot rod.

i am also curious to see how Eason will look in the pre-season.

The Ball State grad in me is excited to see Pinter.  Chirp chirp.

I considered it a head scratcher at the time b/c RB wasn’t on my early-round radar, but Taylor is starting to really excite me.  I want to see him behind our line.  I’m hoping it’ll be like Derrick Henry in Tennessee’s playoff run...

Buckner, Taylor and Pinter. Buckner because he is expected to be 

"the man" on the defensive line and the brass moved up or fanatically 

tried to move up to get Taylor and Pinter so I gotta see what all of the 

hubbub is about with these two, especially Pinter.

Nelson pulling to the right with Nix leading Taylor with the ball. Plowing over the defense...Defensive players falling to the ground( CBs on purpose out of fear). arm tackles being broken, Taylor finds a crease and outruns a safety for the end zone. 

9 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Nelson pulling to the right with Nix leading Taylor with the ball. Plowing over the defense...Defensive players falling to the ground( CBs on purpose out of fear). arm tackles being broken, Taylor finds a crease and outruns a safety for the end zone. 

This sounds like a future NFL safety commercial. “Rule 294-7 bans Big Q from pulling, followed by a FB and massive HB. This reduces injuries by players not actually getting killed by this locomotive of power”

Just now, Hark said:

This sounds like a future NFL safety commercial. “Rule 294-7 bans Big Q from pulling, followed by a FB and massive HB. This reduces injuries by players not actually getting killed by this locomotive of power”

100% Taylor.  I'm a big Marlon Mack fan and love how he can keep runs going with his jump cut and stiff arms... but I just think Taylor is that top tier level RB that you see in the league.  As good as Mack has been he's not been in the Saquon/Zeke/Gurley/Bell/CMac tier.  I think JT can be.

It will also be interesting to see how we use Pittman and what he can bring.  I'm very intrigued by Blackmon but I'm not really going to use any playing time that he could possibly get in 2020 as much evidence, since he should honestly probably just sit out the whole year.  I hope we don't see Pinter in the regular season but if we do, I'll be excited to check him out.

An exciting offseason to be sure!

1 hour ago, Archer said:

I considered it a head scratcher at the time b/c RB wasn’t on my early-round radar, but Taylor is starting to really excite me.  I want to see him behind our line.  I’m hoping it’ll be like Derrick Henry in Tennessee’s playoff run...

Ya his 18 fumbles in college are a concern but I think it can be fixed. Also I believe we got the best back in the draft and a steal is a major upgrade over Mack not that i'm saying he isn't good cause he is but Taylor is just better. Plus Wilkins is primarily useless.

35 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Ya his 18 fumbles in college are a concern but I think it can be fixed. Also I believe we got the best back in the draft and a steal is a major upgrade over Mack not that i'm saying he isn't good cause he is but Taylor is just better. Plus Wilkins is primarily useless.

I haven’t fact checked it but heard on a podcast that said Taylor had so many carries that if you average his fumbles out it comes to like one every 41 carries. Obviously that’s not a number I wanna see but it’s not as terrible sounding as 18 fumbles. One of every 40ish carries is potentially every other game assuming Mack and Wilkins still get touches. 

9 hours ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Was just a highlight reel but Windsor from Penn State..cant wait to see if that motor and enthusiasm is real. My pick is kind of weird too

that is weird that you picked a guy who won’t even make the team.

9 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I wanna see Eason throwin fastballs in preseason like the Wild Thing in major league.  
Cornerbacks better have their heads on a swivel!

It would Be REALLY cool to take out the opposing mascot and make a name for himself early.

But with better control than the wild thing

10 hours ago, CR91 said:

Which of the free agent additions and draft picks are you excited to see? Honesty I can't wait to see Eason in the preseason. Weird choice I know, but I'm curious in what we have.

It’s understandable to want to see the new quarterback.   Most important position and all that....

But a reminder...  even if there IS a preseason, odds are Eason would face the backups.   The 3rd and 4th strong.  Just like Kelly did.   Rivers will face the first.  JB faces the second, and so on.

Do you have to factor who Eason is facing.   As we tried to do with Kelly.

Just saying....

24 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

that is weird that you picked a guy who won’t even make the team.

He’ll be on the practice squad his first year.   Likely make the squad in 21 or 22.   He likely has a future....

Give the kid a chance... 

42 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s understandable to want to see the new quarterback.   Most important position and all that....

But a reminder...  even if there IS a preseason, odds are Eason would face the backups.   The 3rd and 4th strong.  Just like Kelly did.   Rivers will face the first.  JB faces the second, and so on.

Do you have to factor who Eason is facing.   As we tried to do with Kelly.

Just saying....

I don't think it's out of the question to see Eason get some reps with the 2s

Well, there are two obvious answers for me, the first being Philip and the passing game, but don't be surprised if we don't actually see that until the season starts. In the last two years, he hasn't played a snap in the preseason. They replaced those live reps with two sets of joint practices with two other teams, each containing a lot of live reps. I don't know if the Colts will do that or not, but if they do, we won't see Philip until the first real game.

The next obvious one for me is the entire team, as I'm new to the Colts, so I want to see the whole team.

But if there is one guy other than the above, it's easily Xavier Rhodes. And here's why. If you took any new guy to this team and said he'll be the only new guy to stink this year, which one would hurt the team the most if that were true? To me that is EASILY the X man. Because what experience do they have behind him to replace him if they need to? Even with Philip and Buckner (who aren't going to stink, but for academic purposes), they at least have experienced guys behind them to step in. But I just don't see that behind Rhodes. Yes, they signed Carrie, too. But he really needs to play a different role than Rhodes.

Yes, if Rhodes isn't back to his Pro Bowl level of play (forget about his All Pro level - that would be gravy), or if he misses time, then I think this defense may really suffer.

I am optimistic about the Colts this year

Buckner is an improvement by 2-3X and key to making this defense work

Rivers is an improvement over Brissett.... how much is still to be determined

He is a rookie, but I think we will see improved play at Outside WR spot with Pittman and will be a great RELIABLE red zone threat that this team didn’t have last year

Campbell is back from injury

Turray is back from injury... he was a force early on....

TY is back from injury

Our RB stable is MUCH better...... JT is a STUD that is tough to bring down, and will be a welcome addition for games in Dec and January

Our kicker situation HAS to improve over last years debacle.... are we really still speaking with AV?...

my hope is... logic will overcome, and we will get the rookie K from GA or Chase....

After a rough start of the year... Rock YaSin.... played really well.... We should have a further improvement

Willis, Tell, and Banagu, should all also step up a bit from their rookie seasons

On paper, AND IF HEALTHY, this is an much improved team, possibly to 10 wins

In the second half of last year, we were running into an 8 man box.....JB couldn’t hit any of the depleted receiving team...... 3 and outs were common with JB trying to run for 3rd and long......

There was ZERO fear of the deep ball..... if the defense tries to play us with a box, WITH THIS TEAM....we should be able to actually pass

I can just imagine how well we will do running the ball against a true 7 man front, with the opponents DBs scared to death that Campbell and TY may streak past them.

I see some possible risks, as we really aren’t prepared for injuries along the OL. I would bring in a late cut or an older OT that wants a single year paycheck (Peters?)

I also see a risk with Rivers ... do we get 2018 Rivers, or 2019 Rivers.....

2018 Rivers play gives us 10-11 wins

2019 Rivers gives us 8-8

Fingers crossed, but I am hopeful for better times

15 minutes ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

Well, there are two obvious answers for me, the first being Philip and the passing game, but don't be surprised if we don't actually see that until the season starts. In the last two years, he hasn't played a snap in the preseason. They replaced those live reps with two sets of joint practices with two other teams, each containing a lot of live reps. I don't know if the Colts will do that or not, but if they do, we won't see Philip until the first real game.

The next obvious one for me is the entire team, as I'm new to the Colts, so I want to see the whole team.

But if there is one guy other than the above, it's easily Xavier Rhodes. And here's why. If you took any new guy to this team and said he'll be the only new guy to stink this year, which one would hurt the team the most if that were true? To me that is EASILY the X man. Because what experience do they have behind him to replace him if they need to? Even with Philip and Buckner (who aren't going to stink, but for academic purposes), they at least have experienced guys behind them to step in. But I just don't see that behind Rhodes. Yes, they signed Carrie, too. But he really needs to play a different role than Rhodes.

Yes, if Rhodes isn't back to his Pro Bowl level of play (forget about his All Pro level - that would be gravy), or if he misses time, then I think this defense may really suffer.

Your logic for the second bolded pretty much eliminates the first bolded from happening - from a Rivers perspective.

If it were Luck returning from a 1 year absence I could see it *possibly* happening.  With a veteran QB entering a new team with (probably) no spring camp, I can see Rivers getting as many reps as he can with the starters - with respect to his age.  He has to get the timing down with his receivers in game action before the season starts.

Well, if you ever got the chance, you could ask Philip himself. I'm just taking it from what he has said the last two years. The live reps his teams have gotten in those scrimmages were every bit the same to them as they are in preseason games. Hence the point. Since they are the same, he IS getting game reps in those scrimmages. He wouldn't be starting the first game without any.

We just wouldn't get to see them. That's the only difference. Once again, that's coming from Philip himself, not me.

Ballard added 3 Premium players with Buckner, Pittman, and Taylor. What a haul.
  Rivers, Rhodes, Burton can add a lot too. And i love the idea of a good fullback.

And we have a number of young guys ready to make a jump.

10-12 wins 

I'm excited to see how a few of the younger guys (non rookies) develop.

I think Turay was really starting to come around last year before his injury.  The addition of Buckner should help him, plus it looks like he's been working his tail off this offseason to get healthy and keep improving.

Banogu showed some flashes last year.  We knew he was a project pick, so it'll be interesting to see if he continues to improve and add a new threat to our DL.

Rock Ya-Sin definitely had some ups and downs, but I think he ended the year strong.  Improved DL play/pass rush should help him out, so should his development.  

EJ Speed I think is a guy who will see a lot more snaps this year -- he's a very good athlete who came into the league raw as a football player from a small school.

Okereke -- he impressed me last year, I think he's going to be something special for us going forward.

Leonard -- I know he's a 2x all-pro, but I imagine with Buckner and an improved DL, he's just going to keep getting better.

Khari Willis -- he played better than I expected last year.  I thought he was kind of a low ceiling guy out of the draft, but I want to see if he can continue to improve in year 2.

I think the OL we have  a good idea of what to expect.  My two guys I'm looking at there are Pitner (can the rookie come in and compete with Glow) and LeRaven Clark.  Clark was a project pick when he was taken, and I thought he played well for the most part when he has been called upon.  I found it slightly odd that we resigned him and let Haeg and Josh Andrews walk.  I'm curious to see if Clark is actually developing well.  I doubt it, but don't think it'd be totally out of the blue if he could help the OL improve by balling out at RT and allowing B. Smith to move inside to RG.

Obviously excited to see if Rivers can turn back to the form he was in 2-3 years ago instead of last year (I think if our weapons stay healthy, he will be much improved with the OL we have compared to what he had with the Chargers last year).

Excited to see this Trey Burton guy, he's a Reich guy.  I'm not that high on him, but I think TE is currently our weakest/least amount of depth position on O right now.  Can this guy or MAC compliment Doyle?

How will Hines be used in the O?  Can he pick up where he left off as a punt returner?

How will Mack and Taylor split the load at RB?  

Can Campbell stay healthy and turn into a solid WR for us?  Can TY stay healthy?  What will Pittman Jr and Patmon bring to the table as rookies?  Who will emerge as our 5-6 WRs?  

Does the addition of Nix mean we're going to utilize a FB in this offense?  Or was he brought in more to compete on STs and play in very rare O situations?  

_______

All in all, this is one of the most excited I've been about a Colts team in a while.  I think we have a legit shot to win the AFC South and make a run in the playoffs.

12 hours ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

But if there is one guy other than the above, it's easily Xavier Rhodes. And here's why. Ifor the defense to be successful. f you took any new guy to this team and said he'll be the only new guy to stink this year, which one would hurt the team the most if that were true? To me that is EASILY the X man. Because what experience do they have behind him to replace him if they need to? Even with Philip and Buckner (who aren't going to stink, but for academic purposes), they at least have experienced guys behind them to step in. But I just don't see that behind Rhodes. Yes, they signed Carrie, too. But he really needs to play a different role than Rhodes.

IMO with the acquisition of Buckner you will see all of our D backs be much improved. 

All Rhodes has to do is be good. He will not have to play at pro bowl level for this defense to play very well. 

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

IMO with the acquisition of Buckner you will see all of our D backs be much improved. 

All Rhodes has to do is be good. He will not have to play at pro bowl level for this defense to play very well. 

I may be wrong, but I expect Rhodes will also be utilized as a traditional Cover 2 type DB rather than having to shadow #1WRs on other teams.  This should be very beneficial to him and his performance on the field, IMO.  

And agree wholeheartedly that the addition of Buckner (along with the assumption that Turay comes back healthy and Banogu develops from last year to provide more consistent pass rush) will greatly improve the play of our secondary.  More pressure (and faster pressure) limits the time WRs have to develop routes while minimizing the time our DBs have to be in coverage and also forces more errant throws from the opposing QB.  I said in another recent post, we saw Leonard lead the NFL in terms of INTs by a LBer last year... with improved pass rush, I expect his numbers will stay up near (or at) the top of INTs for a LBer this year.  Also, I think Okereke really started to show he can excel in pass coverage at the LB position, another year under his belt with more pressure on the QB from our front 4 and I think we'll see him make some major plays.

On 5/3/2020 at 1:06 AM, CR91 said:

Rivers and Buckner.  

People are expecting allot of things with Buckner.   I hope they are not disappointed.   In San Fran, he played with  a great group on defense.  He may not be as dominant on this Colts line.   It'll be improved for certain though.  

I'm fairly certain that Pitt & Taylor will be impact players early. I really can't wait to see Julian Blackmon and how/when he's used whenever he gets healthy. Ballard says he's a FS, but is he displacing Malik? Will we move on from Malik altogether soon? Also, I think Isaiah Rodgers may be better than just a ST player.

Archived