Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Oliver Luck quote

zibby43

Even if that did happen guys, that doesn't mean Andrew is re-thinking it all.  

Let me give an example.  If I talk about how much fun college was, does that mean that I'm thinking about going back to school?  Does it mean that I'm not happy with my life now?  No. . . It just means that I had fun in college.

With Andrew in his retirement speech he said that he loved throwing the football to his friends and that he had more fun throwing the ball to TY than probably should be allowed.  But he citied the constant injures and that he oftentimes attached some of his self worth to how he played on Sundays.  Also indicated that football harmed his relationship with his now wife.  

I'd like to see him come back for selfish reasons, so would most of Colts Nation.  But we have to realize it's not in the cards and move on.

And don't worry, I'm sure Jim Irsay has mentioned to him many times that if he ever wanted to come back he could, no questions asked.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t but I think this is people looking for anything to say Andrew is coming back.  Oliver has said over and over again that Andrew is happy away from football and hasn’t offered a hint that Andrew is coming back.  

You’re probably absolutely right.

That said, this is the first quote that we have seen that conveys the fact that, at least a part of Andrew is/was unhappy/sad with the decision, in some facet.

The fact that he is lamenting the fact that he bailed on an offensive scheme that he thought was “good” is an indicator, no matter how small, that he still cares about football.  

Just my opinion though.  I think it’s a 1% chance he returns at some point.  And I always thought that was the percent chance he’d retire before age 32.

Part of me believes that Irsay and Ballard may be willing to hold off on majorly addressing the QB position another year to see if Luck still has no desire to return.  This isn’t like when we moved on from Manning because the next great one stumbled into our laps.  There are no easy/high probability solutions in this draft...

The quote about Andrew being "Mr. Mom" and "doing a lot of babysitting" further suggests to me his wife pushed Luck into retirement. I keep thinking back to this article:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/08/01/andrew-luck-indianapolis-colts-shoulder-injury-wife/1892487001/

I believe his wife gave Luck an ultimatum: Quit football, or we're done. Luck crying at the podium when announcing his retirement just shows how tough the decision was for him.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

The quote about Andrew being "Mr. Mom" and "doing a lot of babysitting" further suggests to me his wife pushed Luck into retirement. I keep thinking back to this article:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/08/01/andrew-luck-indianapolis-colts-shoulder-injury-wife/1892487001/

I believe his wife gave Luck an ultimatum: Quit football, or we're done. Luck crying at the podium when announcing his retirement just shows how tough the decision was for him.

Come on dude.   1st of all you don't baby sit your own kid .   

13 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

S

Just now, WifiGuy said:

Sorry ReMeDy .  I mis read the post, and thought you were saying this 

13 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

43 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

Come on dude.   1st of all you don't baby sit your own kid .   

Sorry ReMeDy .   I mis read and thought it was you saying this, when infact it was Olier

14 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

I kind of felt some kind of way the day I heard Luck and his wife were having a baby.   Peyton didn't do that until late in his career.  I'm probably grasping at straws, but when Peyton was super focused on his career he didn't go the baby route at all until it was getting more clear he would be hanging them up in a couple years.   I was shocked a little bit that Andrew was already focusing on building his family 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I really wouldn’t be surprised to see him take some kind of administrative role with the XFL in the coming years. 

I mean who wouldn’t want to work with their dad running a football league?

You're assuming the XFL will be around in the coming years

On 2/12/2020 at 12:26 PM, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t but I think this is people looking for anything to say Andrew is coming back.  Oliver has said over and over again that Andrew is happy away from football and hasn’t offered a hint that Andrew is coming back.  

This is also Andrews father not some espn writer. Even if Andrew said he was considering coming back it’s not like his dad is going to leak it.

17 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

You're assuming the XFL will be around in the coming years

Vince McMahon has sold enough of his WWE stock that it will be. We’re talking significant 9 figures here. 

And he’s still got a bunch I’m sure he’s willing to dump to fund it. 

It also looks like he’s about to make a significant cash in by selling the rights to their PPV events to a major streaming service. 

This isn’t Charlie Ebersol and his empty pocketbook launching something that was dead in the water before the paint was ever even on the field. 

I really do believe that Vince will fund this project for no less than 5 years before he ever considers pulling the plug. He’s got the TV clout to get broadcast deals that are beneficial to him. Vince is a baron of the TV industry. He’s not gonna get bullied around and stymied into bad TV deals by networks and executives. 

A lot of this doubt being cast on this league and Vince are misguided this time around. Vince is a much more business savvy man now than he was 20 years ago, and he’s maintaining his focus on the business side where he belongs and letting the football people handle the football. He’s also a hell of a lot richer now than he was 20 years ago, and he’s not afraid to spend. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I really do believe that Vince will fund this project for no less than 5 years before he ever considers pulling the plug.

Agreed. What fans and business are likely looking for in a new league is consistency. Vince will most surely take an initial loss, but once he gets past year two and promises to go onto a year three, investors will be realizing this league is legit and it will look a lot more attractive. Vince just has to whether the storm and show people this is not a one-and-done league.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Agreed. What fans and business are likely looking for in a new league is consistency. Vince will most surely take an initial loss, but once he gets past year two and promises to go onto a year three, investors will be realizing this league is legit and it will look a lot more attractive. Vince just has to whether the storm and show people this is not a one-and-done league.

The NFL is the only league that has stood the test of time.   So many other leagues have come and gone

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

The AAF launched in need of the NFL to step in as an angel investor to save it. They had an ugly TV deal that likely wasn’t to their benefit in any way. It was dead on arrival. 

The original XFL was literally run by Vince and members of his wrestling creative team who wanted less than nothing to do with the league. Vince wanted his fingerprints all over the league the same way he does with the wrestling product. That’s why we saw all the ridiculous gimmickry. Scripted skits, cheerleader locker room cameras, the sort of content that has no place on a football broadcast. There were no actual football people involved. By the time NBC pulled the plug it was clear that to fix the broken foundation that he had laid it was going to take a lot of effort and money. And quite frankly at that time, even as rich as he was, that was a much loftier investment than Vince could realistically commit to. 

Vince is literally a billionaire now. Need another $500,000,000 to find a few more years? No problem it’ll be done by the end of the day. Literally that easy for him. People  really discount how much he is worth, how much he’ll be willing to spend, and just how much more authority he has in the world of television and entertainment. 

He’s learned from the last attempt at starting this league and he’s got a team full of actual football people in charge. Will it work? Who knows. But this won’t be the here today gone tomorrow efforts of the AAF and XFL2000. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John Waylon said:

The AAF launched in need of the NFL to step in as an angel investor to save it. They had an ugly TV deal that likely wasn’t to their benefit in any way. It was dead on arrival. 

The original XFL was literally run by Vince and members of his wrestling creative team who wanted less than nothing to do with the league. Vince wanted his fingerprints all over the league the same way he does with the wrestling product. That’s why we saw all the ridiculous gimmickry. Scripted skits, cheerleader locker room cameras, the sort of content that has no place on a football broadcast. There were no actual football people involved. By the time NBC pulled the plug it was clear that to fix the broken foundation that he had laid it was going to take a lot of effort and money. And quite frankly at that time, even as rich as he was, that was a much loftier investment than Vince could realistically commit to. 

Vince is literally a billionaire now. Need another $500,000,000 to find a few more years? No problem it’ll be done by the end of the day. Literally that easy for him. People  really discount how much he is worth, how much he’ll be willing to spend, and just how much more authority he has in the world of television and entertainment. 

He’s learned from the last attempt at starting this league and he’s got a team full of actual football people in charge. Will it work? Who knows. But this won’t be the here today gone tomorrow efforts of the AAF and XFL2000. 

The XFL will be done in less than two years

13 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

The XFL will be done in less than two years

The one reason I think they may have a real chance to last is they are not restricted to the 2 years out of high school restriction the nfl has.  If they get one year college stars or even high school stars that don’t want to continue in college they may have something there.   I’m not sure it will work or if those players will want to play for that amount but better than playing for free in college if an education isn’t there goal and/or if booster money isn’t as much (a little sarcasm in the later)

im interested to see how this plays out.  

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 6:21 AM, John Waylon said:

I really wouldn’t be surprised to see him take some kind of administrative role with the XFL in the coming years. 

I mean who wouldn’t want to work with their dad running a football league?

personally, I think Luck is going to be a QB in the XFL next year.  What better way to add some validity to his daddy's league?