Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Kelly time

mirobi48

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I would rather draft our future. But I get what you are saying if he can give you a year next year as a starter. I think I would just rather start our rookie. Once we draft the rookie it’s over for chad getting the further starting job.

My primary desire is simply to see what he's got. 

1) if he stinks, cut him

2) if he's better that Hoyer, cut Hoyer

3) if he's better than JB and Hoyer, cut Hoyer and figure out JB later

4) if he's better than JB but you still want to draft, show case him as much as possible and try to trade him.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Indy_Mike said:

Kelly's 2015 season at Ole Miss was pretty special, then his 2016 season was cut short with a torn ACL. 

Kelly played in his first game with Mississippi on September 5, 2015, against UT Martin and completed 9 for 15 pass attempts for 211 yards and two touchdowns while adding a 20-yard rushing touchdown. On September 19, 2015, he led Ole Miss to its second victory ever at Tuscaloosa. In the 43–37 victory over No. 2 Alabama, he completed 18 out of 33 passes for 341 passing yards and 3 passing touchdowns. On November 7, 2015, Kelly accounted for 478 total yards and six touchdowns against Arkansas. Although he completed 24-of-34 passes for 368 passing yards and three passing touchdowns, Mississippi lost to Arkansas, 52–53, in overtime. The following week, he threw two touchdown passes and rushed for two touchdowns in a 38–17 victory over No. 15 LSU. On January 1, 2016, he helped lead Ole Miss to a 48–20 victory over No. 16 Oklahoma State in the 2016 All-State Sugar Bowl. He won Sugar Bowl MVP Honors after accounting for 21 completions out of 33 passes for 302 passing yards, four touchdowns, and one interception. Kelly also led the team with 73 rushing yards on 10 carries. His 4 passing touchdowns tied a Sugar Bowl record and were most ever by a Rebels' quarterback in the Sugar Bowl.

Kelly finished his first season with Ole Miss with 298 of 458 (65.1%) completions for 31 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. He also accounted for 10 rushing touchdowns while appearing in all 13 games. While finishing the season with a 10–3 record, he became the first Ole Miss quarterback to lead the Rebels with victories over Alabama, Auburn, and LSU in the same season.

Kelly returned for his senior season in 2016. On November 5, 2016, Kelly suffered an injury during a 37–27 victory over Georgia Southern. The following day, it was reported that he would miss the rest of the season due to a torn ACL and a torn lateral meniscus. On February 16, 2017, the NFL rescinded an offer previously made to Kelly to participate in the NFL Scouting Combine. (This section is from Wikipedia)

If Kelly doesn't get hurt in 2016, he definitely would have been drafted much higher. Yes he has had problems off the field, but it's possible those are behind him now? He could be bust or he could be the biggest steal in the league....we're fools if we don't find out!

The Colts see the guy in practice right.... 

I assume if the guy was the next Manning coaches and players would see it in practice lol. 

I wish Kelly was the man... It's gonna be awhile before the Colts suck it up enough in the regular season to draft a good Qb. 8-8 won't get us a top pick 

10 minutes ago, Indy_Mike said:

Kelly's 2015 season at Ole Miss was pretty special, then his 2016 season was cut short with a torn ACL. 

Kelly played in his first game with Mississippi on September 5, 2015, against UT Martin and completed 9 for 15 pass attempts for 211 yards and two touchdowns while adding a 20-yard rushing touchdown. On September 19, 2015, he led Ole Miss to its second victory ever at Tuscaloosa. In the 43–37 victory over No. 2 Alabama, he completed 18 out of 33 passes for 341 passing yards and 3 passing touchdowns. On November 7, 2015, Kelly accounted for 478 total yards and six touchdowns against Arkansas. Although he completed 24-of-34 passes for 368 passing yards and three passing touchdowns, Mississippi lost to Arkansas, 52–53, in overtime. The following week, he threw two touchdown passes and rushed for two touchdowns in a 38–17 victory over No. 15 LSU. On January 1, 2016, he helped lead Ole Miss to a 48–20 victory over No. 16 Oklahoma State in the 2016 All-State Sugar Bowl. He won Sugar Bowl MVP Honors after accounting for 21 completions out of 33 passes for 302 passing yards, four touchdowns, and one interception. Kelly also led the team with 73 rushing yards on 10 carries. His 4 passing touchdowns tied a Sugar Bowl record and were most ever by a Rebels' quarterback in the Sugar Bowl.

Kelly finished his first season with Ole Miss with 298 of 458 (65.1%) completions for 31 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. He also accounted for 10 rushing touchdowns while appearing in all 13 games. While finishing the season with a 10–3 record, he became the first Ole Miss quarterback to lead the Rebels with victories over Alabama, Auburn, and LSU in the same season.

Kelly returned for his senior season in 2016. On November 5, 2016, Kelly suffered an injury during a 37–27 victory over Georgia Southern. The following day, it was reported that he would miss the rest of the season due to a torn ACL and a torn lateral meniscus. On February 16, 2017, the NFL rescinded an offer previously made to Kelly to participate in the NFL Scouting Combine. (This section is from Wikipedia)

If Kelly doesn't get hurt in 2016, he definitely would have been drafted much higher. Yes he has had problems off the field, but it's possible those are behind him now? He could be bust or he could be the biggest steal in the league....we're fools if we don't find out!

Exactly. And this is what all of us who watched him play in college and preseason games with both the Colts and the Broncos. Just give the guy a chance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

at 6-6 with 3 of 4 on the road its asking wayyy to much of JB to pull

this out. He's not even 100%.  Sit him now not only for his health 

next year but to keep his stock somewhat high. Its a win win win

for everyone. Fans are happy we get to unwrap a new toy to play

with in CK with absolutely no expectations,  JB keeps his stock

at a high note by improving his win loss record from the prior start

and the colts win because believe or not fans will come back if 

there is a chance they find a diamond in the rough. Or they dont

and end up picking high in the draft. 

If Irsay can ship Manning to Denver to suck for Luck then we can

send a patriot now colt  backup QB to the bench. If they dont, I will

have lost all hope in the management of this team. Get over this

nice guy nonsense. We have a locker room of nice guys but you dont always

win with them.

• Like 2

I don’t think the colts brass can come to grips with what if Kelly were to ball out. Would it show a stubbornness and would it expose coaches (and CB) for overestimating JB? It could also show that the coaches know more than us, Kelly could come out and be Curtis Painter. 

I don’t see the colts letting Kelly see the field honestly, even if they felt he could give us 5 wins. I just don’t. Egos at this level don’t like to take risks. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Indy_Mike said:

Season ticket holder for 17 years son....they already were chanting for Kelly, many were chanting for him during the Miami fiasco, try to keep up!

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/11/10/brian-hoyers-rough-first-half-prompts-chants-chad-kelly/2557751001/

The day the team starts making decisions that were affected by chants from the fans, is the day I stop being a fan after almost 50 years. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

The day the team starts making decisions that were affected by chants from the fans, is the day I stop being a fan after almost 50 years. 

I’ll agree. You can’t make choices based on the fans knee reactions but they dang well should be capable of making factual and real life information. JB isn’t cutting it. Is he injured? Perhaps but was he tearing it up before that? No. It’s time to see other people. 

I don't want to see fans booing or chanting. I do want the FO however to make decisions based on play or lack of though.

@2006Coltsbestever honest question, because I think you're fair. If JB wasn't a good guy, or played another position, do you think folks would be so divisive? IMO, we see people bag on all other positions when play is below average, and nobody seems to care. Folks are even ready to move on from good guy and GOAT AV. People weren't to upset when a good guy fighting his way back from injury was sent back down to the PS and claimed by Pitt. Folks still bag on Rogers all the time and he's a nice dude that improved each year until this year. Folks bag on Geathers and he's a captain. Many are also talking about replacing TY who's got a C on his uni and has fought injury the last two years. 

Just seems like there's some hypocrisy with JB/QB.

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

I agree.  Let’s not forget some Colts fans booed Andrew Luck when the retirement news leaked.  I don’t want people who at least some of do that making decisions about my football team.  

24 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don't want to see fans booing or chanting. I do want the FO however to make decisions based on play or lack of though.

@2006Coltsbestever honest question, because I think you're fair. If JB wasn't a good guy, or played another position, do you think folks would be so divisive? IMO, we see people bag on all other positions when play is below average, and nobody seems to care. Folks are even ready to move on from good guy and GOAT AV. People weren't to upset when a good guy fighting his way back from injury was sent back down to the PS and claimed by Pitt. Folks still bag on Rogers all the time and he's a nice dude that improved each year until this year. Folks bag on Geathers and he's a captain. Many are also talking about replacing TY who's got a C on his uni and has fought injury the last two years. 

Just seems like there's some hypocrisy with JB/QB.

I have no problem with people being critical of JB. That is what the forum is for - opinions, etc.. What gets to me is when he gets most of the blame for a loss when sometimes a lot of it isn't his fault. He played like a turd at Houston but today he actually didn't, we have a lot of injuries. I guess it comes with the territory though as I know over the years = the QB and coach always get the blame from most fans when you lose. I don't like when people say JB stinks either and bash him. He isn't great but he is above average.

I also am judging JB off of this season alone, not 2017 which Luck would've been lucky to even go 8-8 with that crappy supporting cast and coaching, we sucked that season. Going by this season, I see JB as an above average QB that can win games if we as a team have a good roster. We played without TY, Ebron, Campbell, Rogers, and Mack today. That is just steep odds for JB to succeed. How many guys on our team would be a #1 for any other team? TY that is it, Mack nor Ebron would even be IMO. JB is blessed with a great O.Line but he isn't with playmakers IMO. 

JB is a hell of a guy (shows leadership) so yeah it is easier to cut him slack and trust him compared to someone like Kelly who has screwed up with the law, so that is natural. I do not trust Kelly or his leadership myself. 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have no problem with being critical of JB. That is what the forum is for - opinions, etc.. What gets to me is when he gets most of the blame for a loss when sometimes a lot of it isn't his fault. He played like a turd at Houston but today he actually didn't, we have a lot of injuries. I guess it comes with the territory though as I know over the years = the QB and coach always get the blame from most fans when you lose. I don't like when people say JB stinks either and bash him. He isn't great but he is above average.

I also am judging JB off of this season alone, not 2017 which Luck would've been lucky to even go 8-8 with that crappy supporting cast and coaching, we sucked that season. Going by this season, I see JB as an above average QB that can win games if we as a team have a good roster. We played without TY, Ebron, Campbell, Rogers, and Mack today. That is just steep odds for JB to succeed. How many guys on our team would be a #1 for any other team? TY that is it, Mack nor Ebron would even be IMO. JB is blessed with a great O.Line but he isn't with playmakers IMO. 

JB is a hell of a guy (shows leadership) so yeah it is easier to cut him slack and trust him compared to someone like Kelly who has screwed up with the law, so that is natural. I do not trust Kelly or his leadership myself. 

I think you and I started from completely different places. As you know I follow a ton of CFB. I was never in awe of JB in college, and was pretty meh when we got him in 2017. In college I saw him as very limited and knew he struggled with a lot of basic things. I wasn't unhappy with him, but just looked at him as a bridge back to Luck. This year, I didn't have a lot of expectations but thought he might do OK in a dink and dunk system with a good dose of running. I never really bought the top 20 stuff, but was open to seeing what he had.

I didn't think he'd still struggle so much with the same things he did in college, and to be honest, bought into a little of the hype from the FO. I thought he's make mistakes, but would improve as the year went along. He hasn't really improved in most of the areas I thought he would. He still struggles reading Ds, progressions, and can't identify a blitz to save his life. The missing of open guys has happened all year and continues. I think you'll see the same thing from film this week as you did last. The week he just was a little bit better hitting the underneath stuff in their soft zones early in the 1st half. 

Regardless, I just don't see him making a big jump in the last 4 games of the season. He seems like the same guy from NC State. I really wish I was wrong because he a fantastic kid, but just not seeing it. I get the injury stuff, but he's got a bunch of guys wide open that you just can't miss. It doesn't matter if Rogers or others are limited receivers, if they're open, they're doing their jobs and JB needs to hit them. 

And I understand you don't like all the criticism, but some of the excuses drive even more criticism. How many times did folks say that our WRs and TEs weren't getting separation, or that the OL was to blame. That drove people to bring up high TTT and film of guys running wide open. The laying blame of other units drove folks to prove what was being said was inaccurate. In short, I know what the stats say, and I know what the film shows. None of it paints a great picture. Could he improve with another year... maybe, but I think it's unlikely.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think you and I started from completely different places. As you know I follow a ton of CFB. I was never in awe of JB in college, and was pretty meh when we got him in 2017. In college I saw him as very limited and knew he struggled with a lot of basic things. I wasn't unhappy with him, but just looked at him as a bridge back to Luck. This year, I didn't have a lot of expectations but thought he might do OK in a dink and dunk system with a good dose of running. I never really bought the top 20 stuff, but was open to seeing what he had.

I didn't think he'd still struggle so much with the same things he did in college, and to be honest, bought into a little of the hype from the FO. I thought he's make mistakes, but would improve as the year went along. He hasn't really improved in most of the areas I thought he would. He still struggles reading Ds, progressions, and can't identify a blitz to save his life. The missing of open guys has happened all year and continues. I think you'll see the same thing from film this week as you did last. The week he just was a little bit better hitting the underneath stuff in their soft zones early in the 1st half. 

Regardless, I just don't see him making a big jump in the last 4 games of the season. He seems like the same guy from NC State. I really wish I was wrong because he a fantastic kid, but just not seeing it. I get the injury stuff, but he's got a bunch of guys wide open that you just can't miss. It doesn't matter if Rogers or others are limited receivers, if they're open, they're doing their jobs and JB needs to hit them. 

And I understand you don't like all the criticism, but some of the excuses drive even more criticism. How many times did folks say that our WRs and TEs weren't getting separation, or that the OL was to blame. That drove people to bring up high TTT and film of guys running wide open. The laying blame of other units drove folks to prove what was being said was inaccurate. In short, I know what the stats say, and I know what the film shows. None of it paints a great picture. Could he improve with another year... maybe, but I think it's unlikely.

I love our Line, I think JB has time, I just don't like our WR core. They are too injured and drop too many balls. I like Doyle and that is about it haha . Maybe Ballard will take a QB in round 1 or 2 and he will play better than JB? Just not sure.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I love our Line, I think JB has time, I just don't like our WR core. They are too injured and drop too many balls. I like Doyle and that is about it haha . Maybe Ballard will take a QB in round 1 or 2 and he will play better than JB? Just not sure.

Our WR core is made of glass and I am not the bashing type. I love the Colts but they are. TY and Ebron out, Campbell out, Rogers out after 1 play. Tired of it. You get paid millions a year, play or retire like Luck did. Funchess breaks his collarbone, that is a 2 month heel with him it is a year I guess.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

All I know is that this daft will be the most interesting draft thus far in the Ballard years.

• Thanks 1

I'm not saying Kelly is going to be the answer at QB, and it's not up to us who is starting......

I'm just saying I'd like to see him with the 1's so the fans can see what they have in him. If he sucks, great! Now everyone can shuddup about him. If he's worse than Brissett but better than Hoyer, then great too! 

But if he lights up the world (doubtful) we'll probably need to log out of the forums for awhile, because all the told-you-so's will be in full force lol. 

Never going to happen. Even if Ballard has decided to look at QBs in this draft and take the team in that direction he’s not going to dump Brissett at this time and here’s why:

People around the league still think highly of Brissett. I was talking with a Titans fan yesterday and he said they he wishes they had Brissett over Tannihill. There is likely still some life left in the Brissett market. Someone somewhere thinks they can coach him up and be the missing piece of his puzzle. By not benching him Ballard is keeping his value high. It makes him look bad if he can’t even beat out lowly Chad Kelly. Brissett is on a very team-friendly deal beyond this season. We may actually be able to get some very decent value out of him because there’s a high likelihood of someone being willing to take a chance on him with his contract structure. Ballard isn’t going to jeopardize that for Kelly. 

• Like 1

My first reaction regarding Kelly was: why have the guy on the team if you won't ever play him and find out what he can do.  But, after thinking it over I have to wonder if it was that the team never thought they'd really "need" a third string QB.  With Luck & Brissett at #1 & #2, a third QB was really a remote need.  When Luck quit, they realized they needed a reliable #2 and went out and got a used car named Hoyer.  The thinking probably changed when JB got injured and Hoyer failed to prove himself worthy, but teetering on elimination may not make any difference.  I truly believe part of the reason Kelly was invited was as a favor from Reich to Jim Kelly - in large part to allow the younger Kelly to show whether he can keep out of trouble and remain a viable, potential NFL QB.  I'm not so sure the team had or has any real intention of playing him.

That said, once eliminated from playoff contention (mathematically), I'd like to see him get some time on the field - but I'm not banking on seeing it.

Right now, the Colts offense needs a shot in the arm. They are boring, predictable, and pedestrian. They need to make defenses plan for something other than RB's and a dink and dunk passing game. Kelly can run. Throw him out there and give defenses a different look and the threat of pulling it down and the QB hurting the defense with his legs. Even if it's just a few plays a half to keep the defense off balance.

Kelly is likely not the savior of the franchise or the future QB. but for the sake of giving this team and the offense a chance to succeed in the last 4 games, try something new. I understand there are injuries at the skill positions, but all the more reason to do something a little creative.

• Like 1

No logical reason to not give Kelly a shot to see what he can do. IN MY OPINION the Colts will never get anywhere with JB as the starter. Again, in my opinion, he is a good game manager and a good #2 to fill in when needed but that is it. Flame away...have at it.

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I'm not saying Kelly is going to be the answer at QB, and it's not up to us who is starting......

I'm just saying I'd like to see him with the 1's so the fans can see what they have in him. If he sucks, great! Now everyone can shuddup about him. If he's worse than Brissett but better than Hoyer, then great too! 

But if he lights up the world (doubtful) we'll probably need to log out of the forums for awhile, because all the told-you-so's will be in full force lol. 

Some third stringer named "Duck" came out of nowhere and is doing pretty good for Pittsburgh. You never know.

• Like 1

I think the Colts have had ample time to see what they have with JB and with BH.  They should start CK the rest of the season to see what they have with him.

JB's performance has hurt his trade stock, and it is obvious he is a back-up at best.  He cannot beat anyone with his arm or legs.  BH is a veteran back-up who can win, or lose games for you on any given day.  Neither one can carry a team.  It is time to find out if CK should be kept, or released.  

The Colts will have won too many games to get one of the top QB's in this years draft, and I agree that, "political correctness" will play a large part in the retention of a QB for next year.  But objectively speaking, a new starting QB is necessary.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Our WR core is made of glass and I am not the bashing type. I love the Colts but they are. TY and Ebron out, Campbell out, Rogers out after 1 play. Tired of it. You get paid millions a year, play or retire like Luck did. Funchess breaks his collarbone, that is a 2 month heel with him it is a year I guess.

And it doesn't stop on offense. Look at the same thing on defense.  Seems the draft picks are fast and fragile.

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I totally agree.   

He is what he is.   We know that and I suspect Reich does too.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Turftoe said:

My first reaction regarding Kelly was: why have the guy on the team if you won't ever play him and find out what he can do.  But, after thinking it over I have to wonder if it was that the team never thought they'd really "need" a third string QB.  With Luck & Brissett at #1 & #2, a third QB was really a remote need.  When Luck quit, they realized they needed a reliable #2 and went out and got a used car named Hoyer.  The thinking probably changed when JB got injured and Hoyer failed to prove himself worthy, but teetering on elimination may not make any difference.  I truly believe part of the reason Kelly was invited was as a favor from Reich to Jim Kelly - in large part to allow the younger Kelly to show whether he can keep out of trouble and remain a viable, potential NFL QB.  I'm not so sure the team had or has any real intention of playing him.

That said, once eliminated from playoff contention (mathematically), I'd like to see him get some time on the field - but I'm not banking on seeing it.

I think some part of this is correct, except I think they do think highly of his skill set for the following reasons:

1.  Chris Ballard said that his scouts watched everything about Chad and they thought long and hard about bringing him in.  He never mentioned the relationship to Frank (however, I don't believe he would). This is a minor point.

2. He is the highest paid practice squad player in the the NFL.  This is a poison pill to many teams that have cap issues.  However, it is still a relatively low amount.

15 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I’ll agree. You can’t make choices based on the fans knee reactions but they dang well should be capable of making factual and real life information. JB isn’t cutting it. Is he injured? Perhaps but was he tearing it up before that? No. It’s time to see other people. 

When the D gives up 31 points and 150 yards rushing, I'm hesitant to blame the guy who threw for 300 yards for the loss.

You guys aren't actually mad at Brissett.  you're mad because we lost.  Brissett is just the convenient scapegoat.

• Like 1

Just now, Imgrandojji said:

When the D gives up 31 points and 150 yards rushing, I'm hesitant to blame the guy who threw for 300 yards for the loss.

You guys aren't actually mad at Brissett.  you're mad because we lost.  Brissett is just the convenient scapegoat.

Who inconveniently threw 2 interceptions....:lol:

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Indy_Mike said:

I guess in all of those years you have never seen a coach change their mind and go for a 4th down, or go for 2, or try to score a TD instead of settle for a FG because of crowd reaction....because I've seen that happen plenty of times in the almost 50 years I've been a fan. I'm glad you didn't notice, would be a really stupid reason to stop being a fan!

No, I have never witnessed that. I have, however, seen many obnoxious fans screaming at the team....have the coach decide something that aligned with those fans, and they misread that as something that they influenced. ANY coach that would do that, is not worth their salt. 

I can see we see two different worlds in this, and I am fine with ending the discussion...and agree to disagree. Good day and go Colts. 

1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

Wow, can’t tell if you are serious on this or not. JB is just not starting caliber material, he just isn’t. If you’re ok with the picks and you’re ok with the missed wide open receivers to throw into double or triple coverage and you’re ok with him still not going through progressions or reading defenses well, then I guess it’s all the defenses fault and I’m voting for JB as the AFC QB to represent in the pro bowl this year because you’re seeing someone many of us are not. 

• Like 2