Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Kelly time

mirobi48

Watched the video. Definitely over the top.

The guy is praising Chad Kelly non-stop, even while he's getting sacked.

Chad Kelley throws a pick-6 and the guy says, "That's not Chad Kelly's fault" although the replay clearly shows that the ball was thrown well behind the intended receiver, so that the defender could get a hand on the ball, causing the INT.

But, Chad Kelly does show more talent than JB. He goes through his reads, finds the open receiver and fires it in.

25 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Watched the video. Definitely over the top.

The guy is praising Chad Kelly non-stop, even while he's getting sacked.

Chad Kelley throws a pick-6 and the guy says, "That's not Chad Kelly's fault" although the replay clearly shows that the ball was thrown well behind the intended receiver, so that the defender could get a hand on the ball, causing the INT.

But, Chad Kelly does show more talent than JB. He goes through his reads, finds the open receiver and fires it in.

Guy is definateley over the top.

I don't know if the int was his fault, but was on his trailing breast plate.  I wouldn't however call that well behind.  more often than not you should come up with that as a receiver.

What I like is that he has quiet feet while he scans the field, and you can actually WATCH him go through his reads.  Then he has a quick trigger when he makes a decision.

People say that quiet feet dont matter, but I disagree.  It shows how comfortable he is operating in the pocket and he has a good base when he decides to throw.

11 minutes ago, bhougland said:

I don't know if the int was his fault, but was on his trailing breast plate.  I wouldn't however call that well behind.  more often than not you should come up with that as a receiver.

I think we respectfully disagree here, and that's alright on a fan forum.

The ball was on his trailing breast plate, as you've mentioned, and that is usually a catch-able ball. I would argue that the receiver slowed down his route and the ball was still a bit behind (trailing breast plate). The ball should have been out in front of the receiver who was running on out route.

Since the ball was on the trailing breast plate, it allowed the defender to get a hand on the ball. This would not have happened if the ball was out in front of the TE.

Nonetheless, I think we agree on everything else that we see from Chad Kelly.

6 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I think we respectfully disagree here, and that's alright on a fan forum.

The ball was on his trailing breast plate, as you've mentioned, and that is usually a catch-able ball. I would argue that the receiver slowed down his route and the ball was still a bit behind (trailing breast plate). The ball should have been out in front of the receiver who was running on out route.

Since the ball was on the trailing breast plate, it allowed the defender to get a hand on the ball. This would not have happened if the ball was out in front of the TE.

Nonetheless, I think we agree on everything else that we see from Chad Kelly.

I agree, the pass was not ideal and neither was the result.  I was just mentioning that it wasn't a throw directly to the opposition like we saw in the Titans game, and many times the receiver will catch this.  Still not the placement that you want.

8 hours ago, bhougland said:

Seemed to do fine in the preseason with these very same receivers.  The windows he was throwing into were also tight, unlike the backyard windows that Jacoby seems to require.

Jacoby never throws open a receiver.  The wide open throws that he make are a credit to Frank Reichs play calls, especially scripted plays.  After those run out he seems lost.  \

Here is film analysis someone did, which is kind of funny:

He is not an Indy fan and at some point says that Chad would give Luck a run for his money at the starting position (which is going over the top), but it is still fun to watch.  He also calls out Brissett in the pre-season, and is pretty spot on.

Yeah, I doubt that any other team in the league would take Brissett and start him for a season.

Can we all just stop with this Chad Kelly starting... ever... nonsense. He will never be the face of this franchise and he will not start a game this year. 

At what point has either Ballard or Reich given you even the impression that they will pull Brissett. Never. Even when he was hurt and Hoyer looked god awful, Kelly didn’t go in. 

On one of the many Colts podcast that I listen to Gregg Doyle said he had no clue why he was still on the active roster. 

I know you will say they are paying him a lot to be a practice squad player, but I promise you he will not start a game, unless it is the preseason next year. There is a reason he was cut from Denver and before that drafted as Mr. Irrelevant. Yes he has talent but he does not have the maturity to every be the face of a franchise. 

Done, period, end of rant.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Can we all just stop with this Chad Kelly starting... ever... nonsense. He will never be the face of this franchise and he will not start a game this year. 

At what point has either Ballard or Reich given you even the impression that they will pull Brissett. Never. Even when he was hurt and Hoyer looked god awful, Kelly didn’t go in. 

On one of the many Colts podcast that I listen to Gregg Doyle said he had no clue why he was still on the active roster. 

I know you will say they are paying him a lot to be a practice squad player, but I promise you he will not start a game, unless it is the preseason next year. There is a reason he was cut from Denver and before that drafted as Mr. Irrelevant. Yes he has talent but he does not have the maturity to every be the face of a franchise. 

I am glad you have settled the situation. :banana:

51 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

There's a lot of reasons Chad doesn't need to be starting, but this once immature always immature mentality you have is really a bunch of nonsense.  We all make mistakes and if we were held responsible for them in perpetuity, no one would succeed at anything.

• Like 7

Kelly - everyone seems to see something in him.  I definitely did in preseason.  Ballard obviously did.  If not, given his past, he wouldn't be here.

Not sure how he gets a chance though.  It might be the smart thing to do, however. 

12 hours ago, blackcoffeeguy said:

This makes me go hmmm. If this really happened then why would you wait for over a year to sue? I think the guy might just be fishing for some money. 

Do you think it really happened? Supposedly, there are witnesses. I don't doubt for a second that it did happen, but that's my personal take on it.

Put yourself in the other guy's situation. You get beat up randomly, and for no reason, by some drunk cocky football player. You wouldn't want to sue him for as much as possible?

I hear you but it was over a year ago and that is why I get red flags on this.

1 hour ago, Flash7 said:

Do you think it really happened? Supposedly, there are witnesses. I don't doubt for a second that it did happen, but that's my personal take on it.

Put yourself in the other guy's situation. You get beat up randomly, and for no reason, by some drunk cocky football player. You wouldn't want to sue him for as much as possible?

8 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Why do you get so worked up about Kelly .... Did he kick your dog or something? I don't get this intense hate you and some others seem to have for him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, esmort said:

Why do you get so worked up about Kelly .... Did he kick your dog or something? I don't get this intense hate you and some others seem to have for him. 

No hate for him. Just tired of hearing he would be amazing qb or he is definitely better than brissett. Just classic case of the backup always being loved. 

16 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

No hate for him. Just tired of hearing he would be amazing qb or he is definitely better than brissett. Just classic case of the backup always being loved. 

Ok, just seemed like there was a little more to it than that the way you seem stuck on his maturity, past issues, too many chances, etc ....  and not whether he has the skills/talent to be an NFL starter.

What's the downside to giving him a chance the last couple games if we are eliminated?  You don't think it would be beneficial to see what he can do under "live fire"? If you limit him to camp and pre-season than we end up with the same situation a lot of people use as a knock against him ... "he only did well against the back ups in pre-season" or "Hes never done it against the starters in a real game", etc .... 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Why are so many so against the Colts giving CK a chance to see how he can perform with the #1s. He looked very good in preseason. Are some afraid he could perform well? If we are out of the playoff I would think the Colts brass would like to see what they have with him. We know what we have with JB and Hoyer. This off season is huge for the franchise.

• Like 3

I don't know if this has been discussed anywhere else on this forum but regarding Kelly and others, Reich and Ballard are always harping on competition and position battles to build a stronger team. It seems to me the 2 weakest areas on this team are the 2 they haven't allowed any competition, qb and kicker. Just an observation. I can't complain about being 6-6, I thought we'd go 11-5 or 10-6, just couldn't get it done in key moments of some games(the qb and kicker really let us down at times). It's not over yet though, if we can win out we still have a chance at the post season.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Two_pound said:

I don't know if this has been discussed anywhere else on this forum but regarding Kelly and others, Reich and Ballard are always harping on competition and position battles to build a stronger team. It seems to me the 2 weakest areas on this team are the 2 they haven't allowed any competition, qb and kicker. Just an observation. I can't complain about being 6-6, I thought we'd go 11-5 or 10-6, just couldn't get it done in key moments of some games(the qb and kicker really let us down at times). It's not over yet though, if we can win out we still have a chance at the post season.

Well they just signed another kicker.  

As for QB is possible after watching them in practice they know Kelly and Hoyer aren’t better than Brissett.  You don’t have competition for the sake of competition.  If you already know who is better you go with that guy.  For example there was no competition for TY’s spot or Nelson’s because the Colts know those guys are the best that they have there.  

I know people WANT Kelly to be better and they WANT any kicker to do better than Adam has done but wanting doesn’t automatically make someone else better or worthy of competition.  

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 11:24 AM, OffensivelyPC said:

Giving Luck a run for his money is an overstatement.  But what he actually said was that Chad Kelly would beat Andrew Luck.  That's a disqualifying statement.  I had to stop watching at that point because I just couldn't trust his film analysis (which was based off pre-season no less).  Plus I couldn't get over his voice.

Kelly has a much stronger arm than Andrew and better accuracy...tested out better than Mahomes.

Andrew had a very strong "feel" for the game (presence), a high ability to read defenses and a high ability to "throw open" his receivers.

Brissett is a whole level below these guys and what he lacks is not learnable.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

Kelly has a much stronger arm than Andrew and better accuracy...tested out better than Mahomes.

Andrew had a very strong "feel" for the game (presence), a high ability to read defenses and a high ability to "throw open" his receivers.

It's learnable, just beyond Brissett's capacity. He just can't see the field develop. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

And yet not one single team picked him up after Indy put him on the waiver wire.

NOT

ONE

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

And yet not one single team picked him up after Indy put him on the waiver wire.

NOT

ONE

I think that was on cut down day and all of the teams were set at QB.  They were happy with their guys.  And yet Ballard signed him to a very lucrative practice squad contract to help keep him away from other teams.  Very smart I would say and an indication of what Ballard thinks of his potential.  

On 12/3/2019 at 11:43 AM, buccolts said:

As enjoyable as it was to watch 'swag' (God, I hate that) play as well as he did under those circumstance, BOY that was a difficult watch.

I know it's not a professional offering, and I don't need it all polished up and such, but it was kinda incredible how that guy managed to cram 5 minutes of video/commentary into a 20 minute bag.

That's a bargain! 

I don't see it. Getting hyped about a 2nd stringer (maybe) beating up on 3rd stringers or worse is less than meaningless.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think that was on cut down day and all of the teams were set at QB.  They were happy with their guys.  And yet Ballard signed him to a very lucrative practice squad contract to help keep him away from other teams.  Very smart I would say and an indication of what Ballard thinks of his potential.  

I agree rp. This is way over Southside's head. 

On 12/4/2019 at 6:59 AM, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

And yet he IS on the 53. Somebody is Fried and it isn't Ballard & Reich.

Colts Mailbag

Colts.com beat writer Andrew Walkers take on Chad Kelly getting a chance...

“Do you envision Colts giving Chad Kelly a chance to show what he can do because I have seen him play numerous times. I do believe that he can be a superior player to Brissett and Hoyer.”

Walker: We get this question (or a version of it) a lot, Jess, and, no, at this point I don’t really see Chad Kelly getting an opportunity to play any sort of significant snaps at quarterback for the Colts over the final four games of the regular season (barring any unforeseen injuries, of course). That’s just my take on the situation. Kelly’s not only the third-string quarterback, but it seems as if the Colts would want to continue to see what they have in starter Jacoby Brissett, no matter how the rest of the season plays out. Then there’s this: Indy doesn’t even typically carry three quarterbacks on its active roster, so while Kelly has clearly done a good job coming in and showing development and taking advantage of his opportunities, his status, according to Frank Reich, remains “week-to-week.”

“Chad has earned it,” Reich said on Nov. 27, when asked how long the team would likely keep three quarterbacks on the 53-man roster. “He has done a good job. So right now we have been able to do that. We will probably stay that way as long as we can.”

https://www.colts.com/news/mailbag-adam-vinatieri-nfl-draft-2019-week-14-tampa-bay-buccaneeers

Pretty sure the Colts won’t put Chad Kelly on the active roster in fear of JB going down and being forced to display that Kelly shows better potential than what we’ve seen from JB. There is simply no reason to have Kelly on the team if you have zero intentions of using him. You could literally use Hoyer as the mentor, film room study guy and all those reasons you’ve listed for having him, not dress him and use Kelly as a back up and still have Hoyer mentor the kids as a non dressed QB making millions of wasted dollars.  It’s almost like CB is forcing his decisions to be correct because he is sticking with the same garbage plan. He is losing some credibility from the fan base on how he and Reich are running this show. It’s at a level not far from the Grigson/Pagano led duo. It’s maddening. 

8 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Pretty sure the Colts won’t put Chad Kelly on the active roster in fear of JB going down and being forced to display that Kelly shows better potential than what we’ve seen from JB. There is simply no reason to have Kelly on the team if you have zero intentions of using him. You could literally use Hoyer as the mentor, film room study guy and all those reasons you’ve listed for having him, not dress him and use Kelly as a back up and still have Hoyer mentor the kids as a non dressed QB making millions of wasted dollars.  It’s almost like CB is forcing his decisions to be correct because he is sticking with the same garbage plan. He is losing some credibility from the fan base on how he and Reich are running this show. It’s at a level not far from the Grigson/Pagano led duo. It’s maddening. 

Kelly is active because of the uncertainty surrounding Brissett's knee. Pure and simple. He'll likely stay active the rest of the season so the Colts don't have to expose him to waivers. But the Colts aren't going to bench JB. I expect him to play a bit better with some extra weapons around him. In the end, these last four games will be a time for the Colts brass to make a final evaluation of JB. Do they roll with him in the future or start looking for their next starter in the draft? Kelly will be watching all of this from the sidelines, like it or not. 

18 minutes ago, blackcoffeeguy said:

Kelly is on the active roster but I wonder if he is active for the game.

This was my intention of the post, Kelly is not activated for any of the games so far and I contend he won’t because it would show up either CB or Reich for sticking with a below avg JB at QB. Can you imagine if this team put Kelly in at QB because JB got injured and he balled out? Those who have been saying JB needs to sit would get so loud it would be scary and it would lend some to push the narrative that CB and Reich are time deaf and playing “their guy” come hell or high water. 

my saying this is not an endorsement that says Chad Kelly is the guy and possesses all worldly skills that only Manning and Brady had, no, it’s simply saying that I don’t see JB as a future and it would be nice to see the team see what they have in live action with Kelly as opposed to trying to save their own face. Kelly could also flat out be garbage and fail, at least come time of the draft, the team knows fully that they have 3 QB’s on the roster that are not the future. 

i disliked Grigson because he was arrogant and unwilling to bend to common sense after his first successful season and we are flirting with watching a repeat of that horrific era in CB and Reich if they don’t learn to adapt in real time. The way they are handling JB, Kelly, Wilson and Ebron is so odd. The Cain train was weird because we cut a guy who was extremely well thought of in last season and during the preseason.  It was witnessed and reported on by people inside and outside the organization how well this kid was looking yet we cut him in lieu of Dulin or Rogers or even Williams. Personnel issues are handled haphazardly here so far this season. No rhyme or reasoning really. 

oh well, we shall watch old JB hobble out in the big. Race and throw those 2 yard dump offs and the holding of the ball for an hour and a half while his stare down target tries to get 10 yards wide open and stopped at a spot for JB to rifle it in there. 

• Like 2

After the Saints game.  Jacoby deserves that one.  Gives him a chance to go out on a great performance.  Wont likely affect our playoff chances (win or lose).  After that, yea, I'd want to take a look.

Edited by Sumo63
Fat thumbs

18 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

After the Saints game.  Jacoby deserves that one.  Gives him a chance to go out on a great performance.  Wont likely affect our playoff chances (win or lose).  After that, yea, I'd want to take a look.

Why is he expected to turn it around against N.O.? Legit question, I have no idea.  Receiving targets healthy by then? It can't be that the saints D is worse than Tampa's.... definitely not that our D should be expected to carry the load?