Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Kelly time

mirobi48

It would be nice to find out under game situations where they stand with how Kelly will be if given a chance. Too many people on this forum have a man crush or are afraid of being labled wrongly for wanting a better option at QB. They will jump all over the kicker with no problem.

The time has come to fish or cut bait for the coaching staff. Do what is best for the team and move forward. I think the head coach knows they spent to much money on Brissett and Hoyer.

He wasn't even allowed to hire his own coordinators. I'm sure if he had his way, Vinny would be gone too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I mean I get wanting to see what the kid can do and once the Colts are officially eliminated you might very well see that but I don’t think he’s going to be anything close to the answer people want him to be.  

He won a backup job in Denver but couldn’t win the starting job over one of the worst starting QBs in the league.  Every team in the league has had multiple chances to sign him, even after he had a good pre-season and some teams were in desperate need of a QB and passed.  

I seriously doubt he’s going to be much better than Jacoby and even if he is I think it will be fools gold and you will see him struggle once other teams get film on him.  

I get wanting him to be better and be the answer but I doubt he is.

• Like 4

Just now, MPStack said:

Probably not until mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. 

Not to mention the contract they gave JB, makes the management look bad, if they admit they made a mistake.

I don't remember the specifics of his contract, but I'm pretty sure it is easy to get out of and he could be cut after this season with minimal financial impact

32 minutes ago, Indy_Mike said:

Kelly was inactive today...my guess is they don't want to hear fans chant KELLY from the stands? It will be interesting to see if Kelly is inactive when Carolina comes to town!

Have you ever been to a home colts game?  The fans would not be chanting against a player.    Our fans aren't like that

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheMiz said:

I don't remember the specifics of his contract, but I'm pretty sure it is easy to get out of and he could be cut after this season with minimal financial impact

Basically a year extension, but he got a substantial raise. 

Personally, I would have waited till the end of the season, before resigning him, because it wasn’t like JB was going to hold out. 

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

Not to mention the contract they gave JB, makes the management look bad, if they admit they made a mistake.

Think of this one moment. A fan spends a fortune for season tickets. He gets to watch crappy football, food is expensive, fight the traffic home. The team is not going to get any better because Management is afraid to look bad after making bad decisions. WOW! I guess you all bought your tickets before Luck left the building. I hope the food is good?

34 minutes ago, MCurtis32 said:

It would be nice to find out under game situations where they stand with how Kelly will be if given a chance. Too many people on this forum have a man crush or are afraid of being labled wrongly for wanting a better option at QB. They will jump all over the kicker with no problem.

The time has come to fish or cut bait for the coaching staff. Do what is best for the team and move forward. I think the head coach knows they spent to much money on Brissett and Hoyer.

He wasn't even allowed to hire his own coordinators. I'm sure if he had his way, Vinny would be gone too.

Must be too * to think clearly.  Reich has hired coaches he wants, including his OC i think?  If not, he clearly gets along with Sirianni, and doesn't really mind flus

2 minutes ago, MCurtis32 said:

Think of this one moment. A fan spends a fortune for season tickets. He gets to watch crappy football, food is expensive, fight the traffic home. The team is not going to get any better because Management is afraid to look bad after making bad decisions. WOW! I guess you all bought your tickets before Luck left the building. I hope the food is good?

I will say this, Luck chucking the ball during camp in front of the fans was “dead wrong” if he even had a notion, he was retiring. That goes for everyone up top as well. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MCurtis32 said:

A lot of assumptions in this post,  some of which are clearly wrong.   Siriani and Strausser are both Frank hires

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I will say this, Luck chucking the ball during camp in front of the fans was “dead wrong” if he even had a notion, he was retiring. That goes for everyone up top as well. 

Luck said he didn't make the decision until he hurt his ankle,   and didn't tell the front office until close to the preseason game he announced it. 

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Luck said he didn't make the decision until he hurt his ankle,   and didn't tell the front office until close to the preseason game he announced it. 

I’m not a season ticket holder, so I hold no grudge, nor have any ill  feelings towards Luck. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Have you ever been to a home colts game?  The fans would not be chanting against a player.    Our fans aren't like that

they did boo Luck.... 

Chanting FOR Kelly would not be as bad as Booing Luck for retiring.

16 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I don't think it makes them look bad, or like they've made a mistake. Perhaps a little bit of bad optics, but really they didn't have a lot of choices. Sure they could have waited on the extension, but it wasn't a big deal, and wasn't long term. To me, the contract says "we believe in you, but you have to prove it"... 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

they did boo Luck.... 

Chanting FOR Kelly would not be as bad as Booing Luck for retiring.

I don't think it makes them look bad, or like they've made a mistake. Perhaps a little bit of bad optics, but really they didn't have a lot of choices. Sure they could have waited on the extension, but it wasn't a big deal, and wasn't long term. To me, the contract says "we believe in you, but you have to prove it"... 

A couple hundred fans booed Luck before they were able to hear him give his reasoning.   A far cry from thousands of fans Chanting for a 3rd string qb most of them have never heard of

Just now, MCurtis32 said:

Well...... you all booed Andrew Luck.

Read above

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don't think it makes them look bad, or like they've made a mistake.

I most definitely do with all the praise and we wouldn’t trade JB for a 1st etc, etc.

Perhaps a little bit of bad optics, but really they didn't have a lot of choices.

Definitely and they had a year to better evaluate, before giving the money. Players tend to work a lot harder in a contract year. I’m not implying he didn’t do that. 

Sure they could have waited on the extension, but it wasn't a big deal, and wasn't long term. To me, the contract says "we believe in you, but you have to prove it"... 

Do they believe in him now? 

A couple hundred fans booed Luck before they were able to hear him give his reasoning.   A far cry from thousands of fans Chanting for a 3rd string qb most of them have never heard of

Read above

You don't think a couple hundred who know who Kelly is, couldn't be as loud as the couple hundred booing... I doubt it would happen, but I wouldn't be shocked either. Losing can do something to people, especially losing + a lot of beers..... 

I most definitely do with all the praise and we wouldn’t trade JB for a 1st etc, etc.

I expect them to "coach speak" everything, and that includes the JB situation. I think they did it in 2018 to potentially create a market for him, and this year, to simply give him confidence. 

Definitely and they had a year to better evaluate, before giving the money. Players tend to work a lot harder in a contract year. I’m not implying he didn’t do that. 

The money we gave him didn't impact really anything. We had a bunch that wasn't going to be spent, and we gave him midling starter pay. It can easily be dumped. It's not going go impact our ability to do anything.

Do they believe in him now? 

I honestly don't think they were 100% to start the season. I think they did and said all the things they were supposed to do and say to build confidence in your starter, even if you're not totally sold on him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You don't think a couple hundred who know who Kelly is, couldn't be as loud as the couple hundred booing... I doubt it would happen, but I wouldn't be shocked either. Losing can do something to people, especially losing + a lot of beers..... 

A few hundred fans would not be loud in a stadium of 60+ thousand.    This isn't philly.    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MCurtis32 said:

Now you know why Irsay did not want any money back.

Why?  He would have looked bad asking for money back for a guy that has had the serious injuries Luck had.   He also can't come back to the NFL for any other team without getting compensation

1 minute ago, MCurtis32 said:

just another assumption?

Yes

• Like 3

Never been to a game I assume. It's a huge building.   Getting a chant going amongst a smattering of fans is highly unlikely 

A small group of us in the 80s and 90s got chants going pretty loud after (or late) just about every game. And that was the HD/RCA. Ours were happy chants for a few specific players we knew, but it was very easy to get it going. It's easy to get buzzed fans to do things. If you add angry to that mix, probably a lot easier. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

A small group of us in the 80s and 90s got chants going pretty loud after (or late) just about every game. And that was the HD/RCA. Ours were happy chants for a few specific players we knew, but it was very easy to get it going. It's easy to get buzzed fans to do things. If you add angry to that mix, probably a lot easier. 

Painter and Tolzien didn't get chants going.   Jacoby certainly isn't going to.   Plus in the 80s and early 90s their weren't many people in the stands late in games.   

They can move on in the off-season if they wish, but if you yank JB at this point you'll look like a crappy organization to potential FA starters if they went that route. 

You have to see how this plays out with JB at this point. If Kelly's the guy (let's just say) he should shine come next summer if he's been 'seasoned' by at least being around.

If I was coach I just play out the string, have to see if JB can improve, once you're 100% it isn't him you move on. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Painter and Tolzien didn't get chants going.   Jacoby certainly isn't going to.   Plus in the 80s and early 90s their weren't many people in the stands late in games.   

I don't think fans cared near as much back then to be honest. IMO, they care a lot more post Manning/Luck. 

And while they might not have been sell outs, it wasn't bad from what I remember. 

• Like 1