Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Kelly time

mirobi48

6 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Why is he expected to turn it around against N.O.? Legit question, I have no idea.  Receiving targets healthy by then? It can't be that the saints D is worse than Tampa's.... definitely not that our D should be expected to carry the load?

It's not "turning it around" so much as I believe he deserves a chance to go up against a legit contender and have the opportunity to change the minds of those that doubt him and validate those that supported him throughout (myself included).  Or prove the opposite.  I'm not really that invested in him. I want the best possible player on the field.

I wont make excuses for what the team refuses to (injuries) and I want to see him against better competition, not lesser.

Hes earned his spot here, after this game, show me kelly.  My feelings on it are pretty simple.

Everyone should know by now what brissett brings to the team. Time to find out what Kelly brings to the team in real games. This will let the team know if they need to draft a qb this year. 

I think bressett is a mid level qb, so they will need a better qb to be a championship team.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think we need to punish Chad for all his maturity issues by starting him next week on the road vs the Saints.

I know you are joking here but once the Colts are officially eliminated from playoff contention it would be smart to see what they have in Kelly unless they really feel like Brissett is the franchise guy.  Personally I don’t think he is and I don’t think Kelly is either but I would understand seeing what exactly they have in him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

That would be cruel. 

I would rather see Brissett get pounded by the Saints.

Doubt he gets pounded. Even when he holds the ball forever and only gets sacked once, the whole "OL sucks", or "Nelson is regressing" crowd comes out to defend JB.

He'll have 150 yards, a TD or two, and many will say he had a great game because he didn't throw an INT.

The bar is low.... 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I know you are joking here but once the Colts are officially eliminated from playoff contention it would be smart to see what they have in Kelly unless they really feel like Brissett is the franchise guy.  Personally I don’t think he is and I don’t think Kelly is either but I would understand seeing what exactly they have in him.

I think it's absolutely a no-brainer to want to get a look at Kelly in a real game situation.

And...

If he's bad, cut him.

If he's good, cut Hoyer

Even if they are in love with JB, JB doesn't need Hoyer to be big brother and tech him the art of INTs if Kelly is at least capable.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ojsglove said:

I'm posting this for the last time,   I promise.  :thinking: I will never understand the Hoyer signing??????????????

I understand it because he is a VET who has decent moments but I will agree with your thinking Kelly would probably play better. I have a feeling next year it will be JB, whoever we draft, and Kelly on the roster. I think Hoyer is gone.

6 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

I'm posting this for the last time,   I promise.  :thinking: I will never understand the Hoyer signing??????????????

Kelly was suspended for two weeks they needed a backup QB who could learn the offense quickly.  That equals vet.  The other choice was Philip Walker and he can’t play vs other teams scrubs.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

This is my view

I doubt that CK is the answer, but I just want to give the kid a chance.... at this point we have nothing to lose

I was at the game yesterday, and when you see the open WRs and how ugly the passes looked

you just sort of know....... JB isnt the answer.

At one point he was 4 of 12.  (If I remember correctly)

I may look at things differently than others. I would have never brought in Hoyer.

To me, you ALWAYS have a young QB that you are developing, that is your backup.

I really dont want someone who isnt able to start and win a game. Hoyer has lost 100% of the games he started ... There is a message there. 

I would rather lose with a young QB that might develop into more as a backup than an older career backup who cant win a game, when counted upon.

I was hoping that JB was THAT guy..... someone that could garner draft picks in trade, or actually play when needed.  To me......  AFTER THE SEASON, I would move on from BOTH Hoyer and JB.  Its great that they are leaders, but dang........  They just arent NFL starting QBs.  Why have someone that cant be a starter, and has no future chance to be?

Why have someone on your roster like that? If JB was getting better, I say keep him in.

He is not.    

Our vaunted OL cant block 8 man boxes.  We are playing against teams that have horrible pass defenses or are in a situation where 3 of 4 regular starters are out (Houston) and we STILL CANT PASS.

There is no way that the loss is 100% on JB, though.... we didnt tackle well, we didnt do a lot of things well.  When you give up almost FIVE HUNDRED passing yards, you have other problems as well 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, husker61 said:

Everyone should know by now what brissett brings to the team. Time to find out what Kelly brings to the team in real games. This will let the team know if they need to draft a qb this year. 

I think bressett is a mid level qb, so they will need a better qb to be a championship team.

I was a big supporter of giving JB a chance to show us. Sadly, I was mistaken.  I thought he'd get much better as the season went along, but even taking into consideration the revolving door at WR, its clear JB hasn't improved much at all since 2017 in the things he does control. Time to find some competition with him.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I was a big supporter of giving JB a chance to show us. Sadly, I was mistaken.  I thought he'd get much better as the season went along, but even taking into consideration the revolving door at WR, its clear JB hasn't improved much at all since 2017 in the things he does control. Time to find some competition with him.

Other than MPstack, I was probably the BIGGEST supporter of JB......

I am highly disappointed, and was hoping for more.

But..... it happens. 

Time to find the next QB. 

The defensive coordinators have figured out what JB can do, and he doesnt have the downfield accuracy and reads to overcome it........     We will get a VERY stacked box the rest of the way.

We have a developing team that lost a franchise QB at the last second.......  

The sky truly is the limit, and my confidence in the front office and head coach is still very high.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/7/2019 at 2:34 PM, richard pallo said:

I think that was on cut down day and all of the teams were set at QB.  They were happy with their guys.  And yet Ballard signed him to a very lucrative practice squad contract to help keep him away from other teams.  Very smart I would say and an indication of what Ballard thinks of his potential.  

I think the Broncos had him on their roster  a regular salary rookie contract , it might have affected how the Colts had to pay him too. (Broncos and Colts pay, cap, dead cap, etc...)

21 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Pretty sure the Colts won’t put Chad Kelly on the active roster in fear of JB going down and being forced to display that Kelly shows better potential than what we’ve seen from JB.

Because coaches don''t want to use the players they think has the best chance of winning, thus securing their jobs. Got it.

There is simply no reason to have Kelly on the team if you have zero intentions of using him.

Coaches see him against their players everyday. There is a thing called 'development'.  And it doesn't require starting NFL games right away.

You could literally use Hoyer as the mentor, film room study guy and all those reasons you’ve listed for having him, not dress him and use Kelly as a back up and still have Hoyer mentor the kids as a non dressed QB making millions of wasted dollars.  

Since it's Indy, I'll give a race analogy to the NFL saying-

You cannot win the race in the first corner, but you can most certainly lose it.

It's hard for inexperienced QB's to win an NFL game, but very easy for them to lose it.

Those guys practice, study, and play hard.  They want to win. While playoffs were still a possibility, the coaches and team (via reports) were in on JB leading them.  Not sure how it goes from here, though.

I wonder how CK does in the off season (maturity), and passing that test, competes in training camp 2020 (performance).

It’s almost like CB is forcing his decisions to be correct because he is sticking with the same garbage plan. He is losing some credibility from the fan base on how he and Reich are running this show. It’s at a level not far from the Grigson/Pagano led duo. It’s maddening. 

GM's make decisions on what personnel to acquire/keep/cut.  Coaches decide who is active, who plays, and at what position(s).  And yes, they communicate with each other to try to work in unison rather than against each other as much as possible.

Giving JB a two year contract extension does not say “we believe he is our long term answer.” It says “ he’s our guy for this year, and if we can’t find anyone better, he MAY be our guy next year.”

Time to find out if Kelly is a keeper for next year. 

• Like 4