Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Vinatieri (Merge)

chad72

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Sounds like they talked him out of it.   We just have to hope he works it out

Gonna need a game winner or two at some point

I agree. If anything talked him in to giving it another week or two. Maybe I'm foolish, but I trust Adam to hang it up when it's time. He certainly sounds like he knows it's getting close

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Sounds like they talked him out of it.   We just have to hope he works it out

Gonna need a game winner or two at some point

Didn't play out that well for Andrew IF the reports that he tried to talk him into staying are true.

Hey, it's Jim's money, but I wouldn't make the same decision.

1 minute ago, coltsva said:

The mental and physical side of any athlete must co-exist for them to be successful. AV is human, just like the rest of us. As soon as a smidgen of doubt creeps in, the physical part suffers, and it usually gets worse before it gets better. 

I dont care care how many big time pressure kicks he’s made. Right now he has some doubts about his ability to make even a routine kick. 

There’s no way in a practice to mimic the feeling of kicking in a game. It’s totally different, especially mentally. 

And, in my opinion, the pressure is much greater at home than away.

• Like 1

Just now, MB-ColtsFan said:

Didn't play out that well for Andrew IF the reports that he tried to talk him into staying are true.

Hey, it's Jim's money, but I wouldn't make the same decision.

You have to remember,   those guys all know each other.   They work with one another everyday.    If his problems are correctable,  they would know.    I trust them to make the right call

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You have to remember,   those guys all know each other.   They work with one another everyday.    If his problems are correctable,  they would know.    I trust them to make the right call

We have no real choice but to trust them, but I'm just wondering if they're hopelessly  trying to revive the patient on the table.  I think I saw that they have been working with him already?  Don't seem to be getting much success if true.

I'm really hoping he recovers and proves me wrong.  Really, really hoping.  I want him to go out on top, not like this.

• Like 1

Just now, MB-ColtsFan said:

We have no real choice but to trust them, but I'm just wondering if they're hopelessly  trying to revive the patient on the table.  I think I saw that they have been working with him already?  Don't seem to be getting much success if true.

I'm really hoping he recovers and proves me wrong.  Really, really hoping.  I want him to go out on top, not like this.

I think we all do

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

Forgive me if this has already been said, i havent read through 15 pages...

I do not think home or away matter in this.  AV seems to be one of the most mentally tough kickers ever.   If they keep him one more week to see if he can do it, it will not matter that its a home game.

This is pure speculation on my part as i am not a doctor but i am a 50 year old.  I think it is physical.  I don't think it is leg strengh.  I think it is leg/knee stability.  At 35, even 40 his knee may have kept solid through all that torque but now it may have even the slightest movement which for driving a ball 30 yards can be all the difference.  

That is a great point. I'm 68 and have fly fished for years. Last year I missed my annual trip to MI. Just got back from this year trip this weekend. While there I quickly learned that I can no longer wade, even in less than knee deep water. Why, the knees are no longer stable enough to walk against the current. Almost fell twice even with a walking stick. This happened during the one year I missed. In 2017 I had no issues.

You could be on to something. Obviously you have to plant your off foot and expect it to remain stable. Whether it's slippery turf or less than secure knee joint the result is the same.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Myles said:

Not me and not most successful GM's.   You cannot accept poor performance because of past deeds.   If the decline was just a continuing slow decline like he has shown the past 5 years, it is one thing.   He's currently the worst kicker in the league.   I hope he turns it around, but you can't let him to continue to cost us games.  

Which is why I’m not the GM, nor did I say I was. I would be a bad GM.

Contrary to some other people I think personal respect for people who have put their body on the line for my entertainment is worth the price of maybe losing a game. I totally understand that most people aren’t ok with that, but I’ve come to the point where I value other things higher than winning, such as showing what I think to be proper respect to people who I believe deserve it.

If that’s not your prerogative I understand, but to me the chance of winning a SB is not the reason I’m a Colts fan. Guys like AV, Manning, Luck, Mathis, those guys are the reasons why I stay proud to be a Colts fan, not because we beat the Bears in a SB or because we beat the Titans every year. That stuff is just bonus stuff to me

Obviously your opinions will vary, just explaining my reasoning

• Like 1

The problem is who can we bring in on this short of notice that we know can go out and make a clutch 40-50 yarder?  I think we stick with AV & quietly start bringing guys in for workouts. This will give AV a chance to get over his yips. If he can’t, he’ll retire after another bad performance & we will have collected some data on some potential replacements. 

• Like 2

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/16/colts-coach-frank-reich-adam-vinatieri-is-our-kicker/

The Colts have talked Adam Vinatieri into sticking around.

Amid widespread speculation on Sunday that the future Hall of Fame kicker would be retiring on Monday (and it was leaning in that direction), Vinatieri will stay with the team.

Coach Frank Reich told reporters on Monday that Vinatieri will kick for the Colts on Sunday, in the home opener against the Falcons...

...Reich called Vinatieri an “instrumental leader” on the team, which is an important element as the team continues to trudge forward still only 23 days after the stunning retirement of quarterback Andrew Luck.

Vinatieri continues to get treatment on his knee, but Reich said that, physically, the kicker is a “powerhouse.”

10 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/16/colts-coach-frank-reich-adam-vinatieri-is-our-kicker/

The Colts have talked Adam Vinatieri into sticking around.

Amid widespread speculation on Sunday that the future Hall of Fame kicker would be retiring on Monday (and it was leaning in that direction), Vinatieri will stay with the team.

Coach Frank Reich told reporters on Monday that Vinatieri will kick for the Colts on Sunday, in the home opener against the Falcons...

...Reich called Vinatieri an “instrumental leader” on the team, which is an important element as the team continues to trudge forward still only 23 days after the stunning retirement of quarterback Andrew Luck.

Vinatieri continues to get treatment on his knee, but Reich said that, physically, the kicker is a “powerhouse.”

Yea and bring manning and edge out of retirement  while you are at it. Stupid  move.

I haven’t had time to scroll the litany of posts here but I think it is 95% mental. The “yips” in golf terms. Dude is missing kicks a high schooler could make, not 50 yarders that are landing short: My old boss was at the game in Nashville and said he was drilling 55 yarders with room to spare in warmups. I know that’s not a game situation but it leads me to believe this may be a mental thing, originally brought on by something physical (remember he had an issue in camp) and it’s screwing with him. If it were a legit injury issue the Colts would have brought in a guy or two as insurance. Since they don’t look to be doing that, they’re banking on this being a slump Adam can work out of. They’re publicly backing him to boost his confidence IMO, and give him a shot at pulling it together until season’s end. It may work, it may not...I’m hopeful it does and he wins us a game or two this year. Bc with Jacoby at the helm this isn’t a “blow your doors off” offense. It’s more ground game, grind it out, physical football that can lead to close finishes like these past two weeks. Adam needs to get right....I’m praying when it’s his first time kicking next Sunday, the crowd goes nuts in support....but also fear booing from the *

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I wonder if all this we are behind him talk is just to give the team a chance to try out kickers this week. That way they can at least look this week and not feel like they just have to pick someone.  Maybe Sunday will be his last game.

With all the coaches hype, how they have absolutely no concerns...

I highly doubt the management will try out other kickers.

That would make them look like liars.

Giving him 2 more weeks seems reasonable.  I know (as does everyone) that the chances of this team winning in spite of the kicking we've seen are very low, and if he continues to cost the colts games it will become a locker room issue.  But for now it's ok (especially if they dont have a guy lined up) to send a message that they wont overreact to players "slumping".   This FO is a thoughtful one and no matter how many of us are screaming "vinny's lost it! move on!"  Theysee him all week and they're going to take the appropriate time to make a decision.  If that's tomorrow, its tomorrow but it will be on their timetable.  We just need to trust the process,  they didnt panic over mcdaniels, they didnt panic over luck, they wont panic over adam.

9 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

Giving him 2 more weeks seems reasonable.  I know (as does everyone) that the chances of this team winning in spite of the kicking we've seen are very low, and if he continues to cost the colts games it will become a locker room issue.  But for now it's ok (especially if they dont have a guy lined up) to send a message that they wont overreact to players "slumping".   This FO is a thoughtful one and no matter how many of us are screaming "vinny's lost it! move on!"  Theysee him all week and they're going to take the appropriate time to make a decision.  If that's tomorrow, its tomorrow but it will be on their timetable.  We just need to trust the process,  they didnt panic over mcdaniels, they didnt panic over luck, they wont panic over adam.

Two weeks is to long. You can’t lose both home games to a kicker. This week should of been enough. There should of been this discussion after week one.  He actually never should of been resigned after that KC game and a not to good season last year. Why is he still getting treatment on his knee if he isn’t injured. He needs to go on IR.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Two weeks is to long. You can’t lose both home games to a kicker. This week should of been enough. There should of been this discussion after week one.  He actually never should of been resigned after that KC game and a not to good season last year. Why is he still getting treatment on his knee if he isn’t injured. He needs to go on IR.

The coaches see him in practice every day.   Stop freaking out.   They have more information than we do.   I know you love this team,   but you overreact too much

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

They havent played either of those home games much less lost them.  There probably were, and are, continued discussions concerning the way forward.  It they had an out they'd probably take it........I'm sure every player undergoes some form of "treatment" every week doesnt mean IR.  And not signing him at all would require hindsight.

Bottom line is they have more info than any of us.  If these forums were fact:  Irsay, Ballard, luck, manning, and Dungy would all be on trial for conspiracy to commit fraud,  we'd still have pagano, or KCs special teams coach as a HC, we'd have blown the bank on AB and bell, and brock osweiler would be under center.  All I'm saying is let it play out a little and see what happens. 

Mobs with torches rarely make good decisions.  This is a winning organization,  reich , Ballard, irsay, and vinny arent blind, or dumb, or in denial.  They know the situation. If they havent made a move I have to believe it's because the moves available to them aren't any better than holding pat for the time being.

When the opportunity presents itself I'm confident they'll take it.  Could be tomorrow,  could be in two weeks, could be in the offseason.  Hell, Vinny could turn it around and ball out for the rest of the year...........

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Which is why I’m not the GM, nor did I say I was. I would be a bad GM.

Contrary to some other people I think personal respect for people who have put their body on the line for my entertainment is worth the price of maybe losing a game. I totally understand that most people aren’t ok with that, but I’ve come to the point where I value other things higher than winning, such as showing what I think to be proper respect to people who I believe deserve it.

If that’s not your prerogative I understand, but to me the chance of winning a SB is not the reason I’m a Colts fan. Guys like AV, Manning, Luck, Mathis, those guys are the reasons why I stay proud to be a Colts fan, not because we beat the Bears in a SB or because we beat the Titans every year. That stuff is just bonus stuff to me

Obviously your opinions will vary, just explaining my reasoning

My feelings exactly.  Post of the year.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Do you ever sleep or relax? It's not a competition to post every thought that enters your mind on this board. We haven't even played any home games yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don't know how many years ago exactly this was created,  but I'd guess 8-10 years ago,  someone came up with the expression "Over Reaction Monday" for the NFL regular season.   And it stuck.

Every Monday,  NFL fans make fools of themselves as they demonstrate how little they know about football and even their favorite team.     Total fools.

Which leads us today.   A Monday.   And we won.   And yet,  here's a dreadful thread,  one of the worst I've ever seen here,  filled with nonsense.

Boo Adam Vinitiari?     There's a stroke of genius!   How did Colts Nation look the last time we booed one of our hero's off the field for the last time?    And you want to do that again?     Did we learn.....    nothing?

Heads are going to roll over this?    Dear God....

Adam should stop being so selfish?     This stuff hurts my eyes to try and read it.

There's much more.     Fortunately,  about a half-dozen really good posters tried to talk sense into the crowd.   They tried to herd cats.    A thankless task here.

For a while, it played out as if posters were in serious competition to come up with the silliest posts humanly possible.    Plenty of competition for top honors!

I've said this every year I've been here....   posters value opinion over facts.   Opinion over good information.     Even the craziness of a month ago didn't slow things down.    At the time I'm writing this,   this thread is 16 pages long.    No shortage of opinions here.    Just a shortage of wisdom, common sense,  and the ability not to get carried away so easily.

This won't be a popular post......    but there it is....      what a mess here....

• Thanks 3

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

A lot of people do overreact after someone has a bad game or 2. The same people ripping AV will be the same people praising him next Monday if he kicks a game winning 50 yard FG as time expires. 

I love AV. 1 game is a blip. 2 games in a row is a trend. Kickers typically don't get long leashes, but AV will get longer than most. At the end of the day, kickers are paid to win games. Kickers can get by on making gimmees and not losing games. Regardless what the FO is saying, I guarantee ya they are concerned. At some point, age is a factor.

My opinion.... If he's hurt, let him focus on getting well and bring in another. If he has a 3rd bad game in a row, I don't see how the FO doesn't make a move to at least sign someone temporarily. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I love AV. 1 game is a blip. 2 games in a row is a trend. Kickers typically don't get long leashes, but AV will get longer than most. At the end of the day, kickers are paid to win games. Kickers can get by on making gimmees and not losing games. Regardless what the FO is saying, I guarantee ya they are concerned. At some point, age is a factor.

My opinion.... If he's hurt, let him focus on getting well and bring in another. If he has a 3rd bad game in a row, I don't see how the FO doesn't make a move to at least sign someone temporarily. 

If he looks bad this coming Sunday they may have to do something then. Kicking badly in a dome would be a bad sign. Father time does catch everyone.

Adam is the GOAT.  Unfortunately he is not a very good kicker right now and will most likely cost the Colts a few more games before they get the good sense to get rid of him or let the man retire with dignity.  This has the makings of a season where every win will count to make the playoffs and misplaced loyalties to an over the hill great could be the difference between making or missing the playoffs. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If he looks bad this coming Sunday they may have to do something then. Kicking badly in a dome would be a bad sign. Father time does catch everyone.

I honestly don't think "dome impact" has anything to do with his problems. He sliced the heck out of a few. Father Time is a beeeacth.

48 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

A lot of people do overreact after someone has a bad game or 2. The same people ripping AV will be the same people praising him next Monday if he kicks a game winning 50 yard FG as time expires. 

Well, obviously... We praise successful field goals not failed extra points.

Those people are called fans who want their team to win games. Vinny isn't helping us do that right now unfortunately. 

11 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yup, and let him later sign a 1 day deal with Kraft and retire a Patriot. Nice.

No Ring of Honor for him at L.O.S.  right?

Wow. Overreact much?

First, the Pats will do that regardless I think.

Second, Vinny has the worst kick rate in the NFL. Nobody will sign him. 

Third, what does any of this have to with the ring of honor?