Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Vinatieri (Merge)

chad72

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Or it could be he had a rough start figured it out and just had a shaky game today.  Time will tell.  

Also despite his misses today he wasn’t a liability as they don’t win the game without him.

He missed the PAT in the third quarter. Not early in the game like his missed fg. Again, inconsistent.

An inconsistent kicker is a liability in the nfl. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

He missed the PAT in the third quarter. Not early in the game like his missed fg. Again, inconsistent.

An inconsistent kicker is a liability in the nfl. 

Do the Colts win today without Adam?  Even with the misses?  If the answer is no he wasn’t a liability today.  Just like Jacoby’s fumble.  Yeah he made a mistake but the Colts don’t win that game without his escape and throw to TY.  

No Adam wasn’t perfect and I highly doubt those were his last misses of the season but this isn’t the Chargers game where you can say if he just made one kick the outcome is different,  he did more good than bad today.  You can live with the two misses if he still wins you the game and you don’t win it without him.

By the way since week one Adam is now 10-12 on field goals, that supports the argument of maybe he figured out his early season struggles and just had an off game today.  

Also, his field goal miss was a 45 yarder that’s not a give me.  The other one in the Raiders game was 50 yards, again, not a give me.  

The extra points are a bit more concerning however if you watch him kick those he does it differently than his field goals.  He short legs them.  McAfee pointed that out after week two.  It could be that’s the issue there.  

• Like 2

There seems to be a distinction here between those who are trying to point out that he is diminishing, and that point needs to be looked at....and those who feel Adam is going to be fine. 

Here is a my take. It is obvious to all that his numbers are descending. But the discussion should really be on whether or not he is the right guy for right now. That discussion should include:

*) The numbers and how he stacks up against those in the league right now. 

*) The availability of replacement players, and how their numbers stack up in comparison. 

*) Analyzation as to how often his missed kicks have affected the Colts in W/L. Includes timing of the miss. 

*) Conversations with Adam about how he feels about his game. (This sadly, is the part that fans don't get to hear)

*) The gut factor. Adam V is in rarefied company when it comes to walking out on the field for decades with all the pressure on him. I can't imagine the memories he has of doing his craft. When he stepped up for that 55 yarder today, I thought to myself, "You know what...he's probably going to hit this". That is the power he still exudes, even while we're witnessing his descending numbers. Yep, he is missing some kicks. But if the Colts should find themselves in a tight battle in December and a kick is going to win the game? I want the guy with massive experience under a long career of pressure. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

There seems to be a distinction here between those who are trying to point out that he is diminishing, and that point needs to be looked at....and those who feel Adam is going to be fine. 

Here is a my take. It is obvious to all that his numbers are descending. But the discussion should really be on whether or not he is the right guy for right now. That discussion should include:

*) The availability of replacement players, and how their numbers stack up in comparison. 

*) Analyzation as to how often his missed kicks have cost the Colts in W/L. Includes timing of the miss. 

*) Conversations with Adam about how he feels about his game. (This sadly, is the part that fans don't to hear)

*) The gut factor. Adam V is in rarefied company when it comes to walking out on the field for decades with all the pressure on him. I can't imagine the memories he has of doing his craft. When he stepped up for that 55 yarder today, I thought to myself, "You know what...he's probably going to hit this". That is the power he still exudes, even while we're witnessing his descending numbers. Yep, he is missing some kicks. But if the Colts should find themselves in a tight battle in December and a kick is going to win the game? I want the guy with massive experience under a long career of pressure. 

Exactly, I concede age is catching him and this is probably going to be the worst year of his career but I feel a lot more comfortable with a shaky AV than a guy like Cody Parky (one of the guys the Colts brought in to workout after week two).  

Ive also said the thing that makes Adam the GOAT isn’t that he’s automatic, he’s not, he’s only a career 84% kicker (Vandy was 87% just for comparison sake), it’s that he’s clutch.  I can think of one clutch kick he’s missed in his time here and that was in 07 to beat the Chargers and that was almost the perfect end to that game if people remember how wacky it was.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Do the Colts win today without Adam?  Even with the misses?  If the answer is no he wasn’t a liability today.  Just like Jacoby’s fumble.  Yeah he made a mistake but the Colts don’t win that game without his escape and throw to TY.  

No Adam wasn’t perfect and I highly doubt those were his last misses of the season but this isn’t the Chargers game where you can say if he just made one kick the outcome is different,  he did more good than bad today.  You can live with the two misses if he still wins you the game and you don’t win it without him.

By the way since week one Adam is now 10-12 on field goals, that supports the argument of maybe he figured out his early season struggles and just had an off game today.  

Also, his field goal miss was a 45 yarder that’s not a give me.  The other one in the Raiders game was 50 yards, again, not a give me.  

The extra points are a bit more concerning however if you watch him kick those he does it differently than his field goals.  He short legs them.  McAfee pointed that out after week two.  It could be that’s the issue there.  

He left four points on the field. He put himself in that position. Again, an inconsistent kicker is a liability in the nfl. If a RB fumbles two or three times in a season through week 8, he’s considered a liability. This isn’t anything new. There are 21 other kickers ranked better than him and only 10 ranked worse. His very inconsistency is a liability to the team. Yes he pulled through this week but what if we get into another chargers situation? 

And you can’t cherry pick games to ignore. That’s ignoring reality. We can look at the body of his work this season and he’s had 3 bad games out of 7. He’s 77% for all kicks this season. That’s the cold hard truth of it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

He left four points on the field. He put himself in that position. Again, an inconsistent kicker is a liability in the nfl. If a RB fumbles two or three times in a season through week 8, he’s considered a liability. This isn’t anything new. There are 21 other kickers ranked better than him and only 10 ranked worse. His very inconsistency is a liability to the team. Yes he pulled through this week but what if we get into another chargers situation? 

And you can’t cherry pick games to ignore. That’s ignoring reality. We can look at the body of his work this season and he’s had 3 bad games out of 7. He’s 77% for all kicks this season. That’s the cold hard truth of it.

Do the Colts win the game without him?  You seem like you don’t want to answer that because that means giving Adam some credit and not hitting the panic button.  

Like I said his extra points are concerning and I think age is catching him but with the game on the line I will still take Adam over most kickers in the league.

Also I didn’t cherry pick.  I acknowledged his extra point struggles and then pointed out since the disaster of the Chargers game Adam has been good on field goals.  He’s had two misses since then both from 45 or longer.  Pardon me for not losing mind over the field goal part of it and thinking maybe the GOAT figured out that part of the problem after a really bad game.

As for the extra points that’s a bigger concern.  I think that has something to do with him short legging it like McAfee pointed out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

*) Analyzation as to how often his missed kicks have affected the Colts in W/L. Includes timing of the miss. 

*) Conversations with Adam about how he feels about his game. (This sadly, is the part that fans don't get to hear)

The point I’m making isn’t that we need to boot him. There isn’t anyone that has a better shot at winning games in free agency than Adam and we’d be silly to trade anything of value for a kicker.

My point is that kicker isn’t an area where we can say “no worries there”. Everyone is riding high cuz he kicked a game winner. I’m pumped he did that but I’m not fully confident he’s gonna be able to hold up the whole season.

After the first two games everyone said wait till we get home and see if it gets better. We were outdoors in both games he struggled. We get back to LOS and he does better. Back to normal. But today was an indoor game with no real weather and good temps. He still struggled. What’s gonna happen when we ply on the road with inclement weather in the cold? Maybe he’s fine. Maybe not. His play so far this year is inconsistent. That’s a bad thing for a kicker going into the cold months where it gets harder to kick 

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Do the Colts win the game without him?  You seem like you don’t want to answer that because that means giving Adam some credit and not hitting the panic button.  

Like I said his extra points are concerning and I think age is catching him but with the game on the line I will still take Adam over most kickers in the league.

Also I didn’t cherry pick.  I acknowledged his extra point struggles and then pointed out since the disaster of the Chargers game Adam has been good on field goals.  He’s had two misses since then both from 45 or longer.  Pardon me for not losing mind over the field goal part of it and thinking maybe the GOAT figured out that part of the problem after a really bad game.

As for the extra points that’s a bigger concern.  I think that has something to do with him short legging it like McAfee pointed out.

You keep falling back on the idea that the Colts dont win without Vinny but Vinny's the reason Vinny had to win the game.

Thats like crediting an arsonist for putting out the fire he started himself. That doesnt make you a hero. 

• Like 1

:scratch:

I don't understand some folks around here.

You know..... No QB completes every attempted pass.  No kicker makes every attempted kick.   No-one gets that sack every time, and so on. 

This is a team sport.

And this is a good team.  

I loved Seeing that game winning  kick, and the love and admiration and RESPECT given to Vinny  from the team after the game :coltsfb: in the locker room. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Also despite his misses today he wasn’t a liability as they don’t win the game without him.

The Colts not in the position of needing to drive down the field with two minutes on the clock and kick a 50+ yard field goal if it wasn't for him missing the other field goal and an extra point.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He hasn't been good this year but when he came out to attempt the game winner, I had a good feeling he would make it. That makes me feel good anyway, I still have faith in him of making a clutch game winning kick.

Every time he steps on the field I think to myself, "Please don't miss. Please don't miss."

15 minutes ago, Gramz said:

You know..... No QB completes every attempted pass.  No kicker makes every attempted kick.   No-one gets that sack every time, and so on. 

This is a team sport.

And this is a good team.  

I loved Seeing that game winning  kick, and the love and admiration and RESPECT given to Vinny  from the team after the game :coltsfb: in the locker room. 

The average quarterback throws two dozen or more passes per game and maybe throws an interception. Adam is missing at a much higher rate. For reference Jacoby has attempted 231 passes with only 3 interceptions. Adam on the other hand has attempted 17 extra points and missed 3. 76.5% success rate. Second worst in the league.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fahlman said:

The average quarterback throws two dozen or more passes per game and maybe throws an interception. Adam is missing at a much higher rate. For reference Jacoby has attempted 231 passes with only 3 interceptions. Adam on the other hand has attempted 17 extra points and missed 3. 76.5% success rate. Second worst in the league.

I'll have to take your word for it.  I don't look at all the statistics for everyone.  I only know what I see watching games. Nugent missed two for the Pats yesterday.   Vinny not the only one missing some kicks, but he proved yesterday he is still clutch when we needed him to be.  Nothing but respect for him from me.  I hope he can finish the year well, and retire on his own terms.  I do believe this may be his last hurrah.

• Like 1

I think they need to keep him through this season.   Not much choice, but he needs to be done at seasons end.   He's 23rd in FG% and 30th in XP%.   Been trending down for several years.   Why not, he's in his mid 40's.

I'm not confident in him making each FG and XP he attempts, but I wouldn't be confident with someone else we brought in either.   I say stick with him and switch in the offseason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I think they need to keep him through this season.   Not much choice, but he needs to be done at seasons end.   He's 23rd in FG% and 30th in XP%.   Been trending down for several years.   Why not, he's in his mid 40's.

I'm not confident in him making each FG and XP he attempts, but I wouldn't be confident with someone else we brought in either.   I say stick with him and switch in the offseason.

Unless the wheels completely fall off, he's not going anywhere during the season. But I think there's a very strong likelihood that he's done after this year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gramz said:

This is a team sport.

And this is a good team.  

I get the point you’re making but you can’t compare QBs to kickers. Apples and oranges. That’s why players aren’t compared to other positions within the team but against other teams at the same position.

The same question I always ask, if his name wasn’t Adam Vinatieri, would we still be ok with this? His career aside, this season, I don’t think so. Other teams would be looking elsewhere or look to see if something can be corrected. Unfortunately for Adam, it may be Father Time has caught up. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

I get the point you’re making but you can’t compare QBs to kickers. Apples and oranges. That’s why players aren’t compared to other positions within the team but against other teams at the same position.

The same question I always ask, if his name wasn’t Adam Vinatieri, would we still be ok with this? His career aside, this season, I don’t think so. Other teams would be looking elsewhere or look to see if something can be corrected. Unfortunately for Adam, it may be Father Time has caught up. 

Except he is Adam Vinatieri and we know that 1. the clutchness and non-physical factors are completely there and 2. He can still boot it 55 yards. Everyone's ignoring that that's his longest since 2002.

I don't care that he's inconsistent, it's a no brainer to take Vinatieri over Cody Parkey or whoever his replacement would be. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

I didn't mean to compare positions.  I was just trying to say, no one is perfect every game.

And I agree... father time is catching up.  It happens to everyone if they play long enough.

Hard to comprehend he's still kicking 55 and 51 yds...  but he did.

I agree, if his name wasn't Adam V. Even more would be calling for him to go.   But it is. He is Adam, and he's earned the respect. 

I am okay with him retiring at the end of the season. I hope he has enough left to last. 

52 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

Except he is Adam Vinatieri and we know that 1. the clutchness and non-physical factors are completely there and 2. He can still boot it 55 yards. Everyone's ignoring that that's his longest since 2002.

I don't care that he's inconsistent, it's a no brainer to take Vinatieri over Cody Parkey or whoever his replacement would be. 

Then you’re letting your emotions control you. I can’t help that. The point of my post is that he’s inconsistent this year and flossing over that because of his past isn’t beneficial to the team now.

Where did I ever say that I think we should get rid of him this year? In fact I very clearly stated there isn’t a better option than Adam for us.

53 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I didn't mean to compare positions.  I was just trying to say, no one is perfect every game.

And I agree... father time is catching up.  It happens to everyone if they play long enough.

Hard to comprehend he's still kicking 55 and 51 yds...  but he did.

I agree, if his name wasn't Adam V. Even more would be calling for him to go.   But it is. He is Adam, and he's earned the respect. 

I am okay with him retiring at the end of the season. I hope he has enough left to last. 

As do I. That’s the problem with inconsistent players. You never know when they’ll be great or be bad.

Ive never been accused of being warm and fuzzy, but services rendered can’t make you immune to criticism or the truth. All it does it give you an extra shot or two to fix what isn’t working. We do owe him that but how many is the question.

I agree, I think this is his last season. I think he knows it too. That chargers game may end up costing us more than we know when the end of the season comes.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Then you’re letting your emotions control you. I can’t help that. The point of my post is that he’s inconsistent this year and flossing over that because of his past isn’t beneficial to the team now.

Where did I ever say that I think we should get rid of him this year? In fact I very clearly stated there isn’t a better option than Adam for us.

It is not an emotional decision to choose Adam Vinatieri over Cody Parkey. That's absurd. It is, however, a knee-jerk emotional decision to choose Parkey over Vinny.

I never denied that he has become inconsistent. Nor did I state that you said we should get rid of him this year. But you did question whether we would be ok with this if he wasn't Vinatieri (I don't really know what this means actually, because we very clearly are not ok with this. If "ok with this" means not calling for his head, then yes I guess we are ok with this, but it also means that you do think we should cut him, since you answered your own question in the negative), and I answered your question. Other than quibbles over what exactly being "ok with this" means, I don't see how we disagree. We both think that we should keep Vinny until the end of the year. We both think that we should move on after the year. We both agree that Vinny has gotten a little inconsistent, you more than I, but this slight variation in takes doesn't impact our recommendations for what to do with him. So I don't see how I'm somehow letting my emotions control me and you're not, when we're saying the exact same thing

44 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

As do I. That’s the problem with inconsistent players. You never know when they’ll be great or be bad.

Ive never been accused of being warm and fuzzy, but services rendered can’t make you immune to criticism or the truth. All it does it give you an extra shot or two to fix what isn’t working. We do owe him that but how many is the question.

I agree, I think this is his last season. I think he knows it too. That chargers game may end up costing us more than we know when the end of the season comes.

Actually it's starting to look less and less important than when it first happened, because we're leading the South, and even if we weren't, the Chargers don't look like they're gonna challenge us for a Wild Card spot this year...

4 hours ago, BigQungus said:

It is not an emotional decision to choose Adam Vinatieri over Cody Parkey. That's absurd. It is, however, a knee-jerk emotional decision to choose Parkey over Vinny.

I never denied that he has become inconsistent. Nor did I state that you said we should get rid of him this year. But you did question whether we would be ok with this if he wasn't Vinatieri (I don't really know what this means actually, because we very clearly are not ok with this. If "ok with this" means not calling for his head, then yes I guess we are ok with this, but it also means that you do think we should cut him, since you answered your own question in the negative), and I answered your question. Other than quibbles over what exactly being "ok with this" means, I don't see how we disagree. We both think that we should keep Vinny until the end of the year. We both think that we should move on after the year. We both agree that Vinny has gotten a little inconsistent, you more than I, but this slight variation in takes doesn't impact our recommendations for what to do with him. So I don't see how I'm somehow letting my emotions control me and you're not, when we're saying the exact same thing

That’s quite the stretch to say I think we should cut him, regardless of the grammatical gymnastics you are using. I very clearly said we shouldn’t as we don’t have a viable replacement and don’t want us to trade for another.

Hes more than a little inconsistent. He’s a liability. Doesn’t mean I’m hating on him. But 77% in this league means he’s a liability. That’s the question of are we ok with this. The last x amount of pages are of how great he is. I was offering a counter opinion that he’s not out of the woods as this last game showed. He’s still Adam but any other kicker and he wouldn’t enjoy this reprieve for the truth. All other factors including his legacy aside, that’s a fact.

The emotion aspect comes into play when you say you don’t care about his inconsistency. Adam is the greatest of all time but the truth is, he is becoming a liability to our ability to win games when he’s leaving points on the field.

Again the argument isn’t about what to do with Adam, it’s about whether the fan base is ready to acknowledge that reality. With how hard it is to kick in bad weather, and that time is coming in the season, fans would be doing a disservice to themselves to not prepare for that fact. All this talk about him being back and that one kick erases all the bad ones is what I’m trying to counter.

4 hours ago, BigQungus said:

Actually it's starting to look less and less important than when it first happened, because we're leading the South, and even if we weren't, the Chargers don't look like they're gonna challenge us for a Wild Card spot this year...

4 points in the post season and even late in the year are not something we can just shrug off. Let alone 7. Not with this team. We need all the points we can get.

17 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

If you followed any of the red zone play this past weekend, there were a lot of missed field goals and extra points across the board in match ups. We are so use to seeing "Mr. Automatic" that it had become an after thought. I believe he will finish this year out and retire.  

I get that throughout the league FG and XP are down, but he’s 22/32. He’s worse than most this season.

And when the day comes that he hangs them up, I’ll be incredibly grateful that I got to see him play.

• Like 1

I am not gonna attack Adam but I just saw the post-game locker room video and Reich gave Adam a game ball . Under the circumstances of this particular game the Head Coaches I played for no way he would have gotten a game ball. My Head Coach always said game balls went to players who had 4 GOOD quarters of football which lets Adam OUT for this particular game at least .

11 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

I am not gonna attack Adam but I just saw the post-game locker room video and Reich gave Adam a game ball . Under the circumstances of this particular game the Head Coaches I played for no way he would have gotten a game ball. My Head Coach always said game balls went to players who had 4 GOOD quarters of football which lets Adam OUT for this particular game at least .

I disagree.  He misses that kick.. We lose the game.

But, he nailed it. I completely agree with Coach giving him the ball.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

We're you in the NFL and also the greatest kicker to ever live.    Cracks me up to hear high school stories and relate them to the NFL.  gtho

10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

We're you in the NFL and also the greatest kicker to ever live.    Cracks me up to hear high school stories and relate them to the NFL.  gtho

Heard Bill Parcells in an interview say  " Game balls went to players who had 4 GOOD quarters of football " …….Nuff said !

1 hour ago, HOF19 said:

Heard Bill Parcells in an interview say  " Game balls went to players who had 4 GOOD quarters of football " …….Nuff said !

Haha.     Oh ok.  Must be universally true then.    Pretty sure Adam played 4 quarters as well, oh, and won the game

• Like 1

Vinny has earned his respect.  Kicking him to the curb would send a terrible message to this team.  No matter how well you do, no matter how much you have contributed to the franchise, it means nothing.  I think Mr. Irsay still regrets the way the Peyton Manning situation turned out, I don't think he will repeat it with Vinny.

11 hours ago, bluebombers87 said:

That’s quite the stretch to say I think we should cut him, regardless of the grammatical gymnastics you are using. I very clearly said we shouldn’t as we don’t have a viable replacement and don’t want us to trade for another.

Hes more than a little inconsistent. He’s a liability. Doesn’t mean I’m hating on him. But 77% in this league means he’s a liability. That’s the question of are we ok with this. The last x amount of pages are of how great he is. I was offering a counter opinion that he’s not out of the woods as this last game showed. He’s still Adam but any other kicker and he wouldn’t enjoy this reprieve for the truth. All other factors including his legacy aside, that’s a fact.

The emotion aspect comes into play when you say you don’t care about his inconsistency. Adam is the greatest of all time but the truth is, he is becoming a liability to our ability to win games when he’s leaving points on the field.

Again the argument isn’t about what to do with Adam, it’s about whether the fan base is ready to acknowledge that reality. With how hard it is to kick in bad weather, and that time is coming in the season, fans would be doing a disservice to themselves to not prepare for that fact. All this talk about him being back and that one kick erases all the bad ones is what I’m trying to counter.

I don't think he's a liability. I think if you omit his first 2 games where he had the yips, he's been decent since. A liability doesn't make 55 and 51 yarders, the latter being the game winner.

I don't care about his inconsistency because I'd very obviously rather have an inconsistent kicker versus a plain bad one.

I think the fan base has already acknowledged that Adam is in decline and will probably be gone by the end of the year. 

11 hours ago, bluebombers87 said:

4 points in the post season and even late in the year are not something we can just shrug off. Let alone 7. Not with this team. We need all the points we can get.

Huh? What does the importance of points have to do with how important the Chargers game was?