Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Vinatieri (Merge)

chad72

21 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

I don't think he's a liability. I think if you omit his first 2 games where he had the yips, he's been decent since. A liability doesn't make 55 and 51 yarders, the latter being the game winner.

I don't care about his inconsistency because I'd very obviously rather have an inconsistent kicker versus a plain bad one.

I think the fan base has already acknowledged that Adam is in decline and will probably be gone by the end of the year. 

I’ve said it before, inconsistent players (especially kickers) are liabilities in this league. That’s fine your feelings say otherwise.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

Huh? What does the importance of points have to do with how important the Chargers game was?

You were very clearly talking about later in the season. I was talking about later in the season. I was referencing the fact that in the chargers game he left 7 points in the field and yesterday left 4 points on the field. Can’t do that against good teams and expect to win.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Heard a interesting thought on the  first FG he missed. The podcast I was listening to said he had to shank and miss it on purpose otherwise it was going to be blocked and might of went for a broncos TD.

This suggests he "missed" on purpose, I don't think that's the case at all. The pressure no doubt had an effect though. I mean.... 

mikcUns.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure if he missed on purpose or not, but the deception and amount of shadiness that the Broncos put into that was unreal! Very Belichickish for sure! Can they be fined for that after the fact the same way players like Nelson get fined for crap that wasn’t flagged during the game?

15 hours ago, bluebombers87 said:

I’ve said it before, inconsistent players (especially kickers) are liabilities in this league. That’s fine your feelings say otherwise.

Inconsistent players are better than consistently bad players. Once again, you throw around claims of my points being emotionally influenced without actually refuting them.

Once again...

You said "That chargers game may end up costing us more than we know when the end of the season comes."

My understanding was that you were talking about the significance of the Chargers game in relation to seeding and standings.

I then replied that the Chargers game is looking less and less important since the Chargers are looking less and less like contenders.

You then stated that he cannot leave points on the board against good teams. I don't know if I'm misunderstanding something, or if I'm being slow, but how is that relevant to how significant the Chargers game was?

15 hours ago, bluebombers87 said:

You were very clearly talking about later in the season. I was talking about later in the season. I was referencing the fact that in the chargers game he left 7 points in the field and yesterday left 4 points on the field. Can’t do that against good teams and expect to win.

11 hours ago, BigQungus said:

Inconsistent players are better than consistently bad players. 

Consistently good player are even better. :D

I know I won't feel confident in any FG or XP the rest of this year.    I hadn't felt like that for over a decade. 

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Look at that he was so much of a “liability” this week that he won special teams player of the week.

Yep! haha

I know he's not perfect... and I know he's not Mr. Automatic sure thing, like years past, but this past weekend he was still clutch when needed. 

Some can't admit that.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BigQungus said:

Inconsistent players are better than consistently bad players. Once again, you throw around claims of my points being emotionally influenced without actually refuting them.

“I don’t care...” = your feelings. I cant refute your feelings, it’s how you feel. Therefore pointless to try.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, BigQungus said:

Once again...

You said "That chargers game may end up costing us more than we know when the end of the season comes."

My understanding was that you were talking about the significance of the Chargers game in relation to seeding and standings.

I then replied that the Chargers game is looking less and less important since the Chargers are looking less and less like contenders.

You then stated that he cannot leave points on the board against good teams. I don't know if I'm misunderstanding something, or if I'm being slow, but how is that relevant to how significant the Chargers game was?

We lost the Chargers game. That loss (being in the L column) may hurt us down the road, when they take such factors as wins and losses into consideration when determining seeding. The other point was saying we can’t afford to not score points when given the chance. Beyond that I have no idea what you’re talking about.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Look at that he was so much of a “liability” this week that he won special teams player of the week.

GREAT! So god this award wipes away all of his previous bad kicks and we won’t have to worry any more. Whew!

So does he have to carry the award with him for its magic ability to work or just be in the area?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

GREAT! So god this award wipes away all of his previous bad kicks and we won’t have to worry any more. Whew!

So does he have to carry the award with him for its magic ability to work or just be in the area?

Question.......

And Be honest.

Were you happy to see him kick that FG to win the game, or disappointed?

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Did any of you bother to read the twitter post I posted above. There was a clear  reason why he missed missed. He may have even missed on purpose to not get it blocked and give Denver a chance at a TD.

I read it. I suppose it's a possibility, it's hard to say. Only Adam knows for sure.

I am just glad he came through at the end!

Not a secret here, I'm pulling for him to finish the year on a good note!

Some people here confuse me.  I get the impression some here  wish that he had missed it. :scratch:

5 hours ago, Myles said:

Consistently good player are even better. :D

I know I won't feel confident in any FG or XP the rest of this year.    I hadn't felt like that for over a decade. 

Oddly enough, I feel confident in field goals, but not confident in XPs. I just don't like the way Vinny hits those nowadays. But he hasn't had much trouble with field goals past the first 2 weeks, other than the 45 yarder against the Broncos, and even then he may have changed the direction of his kick because of that dude coming up the middle.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluebombers87 said:

“I don’t care...” = your feelings. I cant refute your feelings, it’s how you feel. Therefore pointless to try.

??

I don't care is another way of saying the factor doesn't matter in the long run to the course of action recommended, but obviously I'm not gonna say that cause that's long and clunky and most people know what I don't care means

2 hours ago, bluebombers87 said:

We lost the Chargers game. That loss (being in the L column) may hurt us down the road, when they take such factors as wins and losses into consideration when determining seeding. The other point was saying we can’t afford to not score points when given the chance. Beyond that I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Every loss hurts us, but you specifically said that it's starting to look worse (in other words, affect our playoff seeding further) than when it first happened

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

I didn't get that feeling from anyone.   

Well good.  I hope not.  It just seems so silly to me to be arguing his capability and pointing out past flaws, and continuing to have little faith going forward instead of celebrating the winning kick and feeling more confident about him.   :dunno:

7 minutes ago, Gramz said:

Well good.  I hope not.  It just seems so silly to me to be arguing his capability and pointing out past flaws, and continuing to have little faith going forward instead of celebrating the winning kick and feeling more confident about him.   :dunno:

I have one of those.   I was ecstatic with the win, but I don't think I'll be confident in the kicking game again this season.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Myles said:

I have one of those.   I was ecstatic with the win, but I don't think I'll be confident in the kicking game again this season.   

7 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

Agree !

I'm the opposite. Just like Coach, I have all the confidence in him.  :hat:

Having said that... I think this is probably his final season. 

On 10/29/2019 at 7:10 AM, bluebombers87 said:

Spot on....

The man is 24th rated kicker in the league based on FG percentage (using ESPN stats as my source):woah:

This guy will cost us Big Time... This is something I'm shocked that Ballard has treated with kid gloves. He seems no nonsense but rolling with Vinny is NONSENSE

17 minutes ago, Introspect said:

Spot on....

The man is 24th rated kicker in the league based on FG percentage (using ESPN stats as my source):woah:

This guy will cost us Big Time... This is something I'm shocked that Ballard has treated with kid gloves. He seems no nonsense but rolling with Vinny is NONSENSE

How many kickers have a 55 yard game winner?  I'll take Ballard's assessment of his ability

4 hours ago, Gramz said:

Question.......

And Be honest.

Were you happy to see him kick that FG to win the game, or disappointed?

Yes. I was ecstatic.

The issue, and the overall issue I’ve made repeatedly is that Adam By making that kick is magically back to normal. That argument could’ve been made after the first two games but he had another bad game kicking wise. I’m well aware that he made a 55 and a 51 but he also missed an XP and a FG (regardless of the circumstances).

All I’ve been saying is that he’s inconsistent, which apparently is tantamount to slapping some posters mothers here. And inconsistent kickers are a liability in this league.

How anyone can take from that that I wasn’t happy about a him nailing a game winning kick is astounding.

Here is my take on Vinatieri, I think Ballard brought people in and didn’t like what he saw from them.  After talking with the coaching staff decided to go with Vinny.  We as fans have to realize that Ballard and the coaching staff have a better pulse on the team than us.  Am I nervous when he kicks yes but at this point I am willing to roll with him this year.  I hope he finishes strong and rides off in to retirement as the greatest kicker ever.  Jmo 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Yes. I was ecstatic.

The issue, and the overall issue I’ve made repeatedly is that Adam By making that kick is magically back to normal. That argument could’ve been made after the first two games but he had another bad game kicking wise. I’m well aware that he made a 55 and a 51 but he also missed an XP and a FG (regardless of the circumstances).

All I’ve been saying is that he’s inconsistent, which apparently is tantamount to slapping some posters mothers here. And inconsistent kickers are a liability in this league.

How anyone can take from that that I wasn’t happy about a him nailing a game winning kick is astounding.

Thanks for your response, and I get what you're saying.  

I really want him to finish the season on a good note.

• Like 1

I will be nervous for every kick the rest of the year, unless it at the buzzer with the game on the line.

If we had one of those guys that Ballard brought in for tryouts, I'd be nervous on every kick, including with the game on the line.

I have accepted that AV will likely be inconsistent for the rest of the season, and that an inconsistent, clutch kicker is our best option. I don't see his replacement or an upgrade out there right now, and I don't think halfway through the season is the best time to experiment with retreads or newbies.

• Thanks 1

It's absurd to say he missed on purpose to avoid a blocked kick. He had his head down during contact with the ball, and lifted his head to follow the flight of the ball. I'm sure he could see movement in front of him as he struck the ball, but there's no way he can see where the guys hands are and then adjust his kick. Also, I didn't go frame by frame, but by freezing a split second before AV hits the ball, it appears the guys hands aren't even up yet. Lame excuse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

How many kickers have a 55 yard game winner?  I'll take Ballard's assessment of his ability

I know you view the Adam V as a demi-god, "legend", "the guy that should be the face of the Colts" but every story comes to an end. This is a business.

I don't want to remember Vinny like this.. Maybe you want to see this guy fall into the Abyss.

I ask you if a rookie performed this poorly but made a "55 yard game winner" would you still hold his jock?

"You can't be trusted when you're living in the past"- Public Enemy 

• Like 1