Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Vinatieri (Merge)

chad72

I still expect him to be his old self if/when the game is on the line.

The PAT intragame thing is a bit weird, but if he can't convert in the 4th quarter when the game is on the line, then it may be time to have a serious evaluation of the kicker position.

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

good grief...

Well, that's almost the seal of death......

1 minute ago, Blueblood23 said:

If he keeps going the way he has so far the GOAT will go to someone else. I appreciate what he has done and meant to the team. Father Time has called.

He has already accomplished GOAT status. He can't go down from there unless someone rises up

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Everyone understands who he is and what he’s accomplished and while that is great, he isn’t effective and hasn’t been since last season. No one has yet to provide a convincing argument for him other than his past accomplishments

Again, not the point. I'm not using that to say that we should keep him. I'm using it to say that we should acknowledge what he's done for us and not treat him like trash.

This is what's been happening in this thread. People say Vinny is trash and he's gotta go. Other people say to put some respect on the GOAT's name. Then the people reply "So you think he should stay??"

2 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

Again, not the point. I'm not using that to say that we should keep him. I'm using it to say that we should acknowledge what he's done for us and not treat him like trash.

This is what's been happening in this thread. People say Vinny is trash and he's gotta go. Other people say to put some respect on the GOAT's name. Then the people reply "So you think he should stay??"

I haven't seen people calling him "trash".  Maybe they said he was playing like "trash" and he has so far this year.  

I think everyone on here likes and respects AV, but not to the point where losing games can be accepted.   It seems like the end of a great career.   If an option is out there, it is time to make the switch.  If not, we give him another game to right the ship.   He's 46.   Best case scenario is that he finishes this season and we look for a kicker in the offseason.    Worst case scenario is that he costs us 3-4 more games.  

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I haven't seen people calling him "trash".  Maybe they said he was playing like "trash" and he has so far this year.  

I think everyone on here likes and respects AV, but not to the point where losing games can be accepted.   It seems like the end of a great career.   If an option is out there, it is time to make the switch.  If not, we give him another game to right the ship.   He's 46.   Best case scenario is that he finishes this season and we look for a kicker in the offseason.    Worst case scenario is that he costs us 3-4 more games.  

3 to 4 games?  Why have more loses due to his account? Maybe he slept on decision.

Forgive me if this has already been said, i havent read through 15 pages...

I do not think home or away matter in this.  AV seems to be one of the most mentally tough kickers ever.   If they keep him one more week to see if he can do it, it will not matter that its a home game.

This is pure speculation on my part as i am not a doctor but i am a 50 year old.  I think it is physical.  I don't think it is leg strengh.  I think it is leg/knee stability.  At 35, even 40 his knee may have kept solid through all that torque but now it may have even the slightest movement which for driving a ball 30 yards can be all the difference.  

6 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Forgive me if this has already been said, i havent read through 15 pages...

I do not think home or away matter in this.  AV seems to be one of the most mentally tough kickers ever.   If they keep him one more week to see if he can do it, it will not matter that its a home game.

This is pure speculation on my part as i am not a doctor but i am a 50 year old.  I think it is physical.  I don't think it is leg strengh.  I think it is leg/knee stability.  At 35, even 40 his knee may have kept solid through all that torque but now it may have even the slightest movement which for driving a ball 30 yards can be all the difference.  

hmmm interesting thought for sure.  But wouldn't that show up in the pre-game warm up kicks he's making?  I mean he was hitting from 60 plus in warm ups.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

hmmm interesting thought for sure.  But wouldn't that show up in the pre-game warm up kicks he's making?  I mean he was hitting from 60 plus in warm ups.

ugh.  yes.  please don't ruin my strong argument with your facts!

I don't get what the issue is then.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shive said:

I can see this as them being extra careful to avoid another Luck situation where there was a leak before the official announcement.

If they want to protect against that then they'd better make up their mind QUICKLY unless they found out who leaked the ALuck retirement.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I would bring in the guy we had in camp. It can’t be that hard to find a guy that can kick extra points or short FG. 

I think Hedlund would be the obvious choice to finish out the year. He was plenty serviceable in the preseason.

Already posted his stats but again, 3-3 PATs. 6-8 FG's (3 makes beyond 40 and 2 misses at 40+ and 50+).

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Not me and not most successful GM's.   You cannot accept poor performance because of past deeds.   If the decline was just a continuing slow decline like he has shown the past 5 years, it is one thing.   He's currently the worst kicker in the league.   I hope he turns it around, but you can't let him to continue to cost us games.  

He's also the oldest player in the league. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IndyD4U said:

Still doesn't mean Vinny won't decide to hang them up. I would fully expect the staff to support Vinatieri, especially if he is contemplating retirement

Sounds like they talked him out of it.   We just have to hope he works it out

Gonna need a game winner or two at some point

• Like 1

The mental and physical side of any athlete must co-exist for them to be successful. AV is human, just like the rest of us. As soon as a smidgen of doubt creeps in, the physical part suffers, and it usually gets worse before it gets better. 

I dont care how many big time pressure kicks he’s made. Right now he has some doubts about his ability to make even a routine kick. 

There’s no way in a practice to mimic the feeling of kicking in a game. It’s totally different, especially mentally.