Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Vinatieri (Merge)

chad72

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Why do fans on here constantly compare us to NE and what they would or wouldn’t do? I mean I get it, they’ve got one hell of a dynasty going but if you want us to be like them so bad, go root for them. (Not directed at you Mr,Debonair, just some fans in general that constantly say we need to copy NE)

Speaking for myself, I’m just envious of their success. They always seem ahead of the curve. They make moves before it begins to cost them games. They don’t let whatever issue they  have lingering for seasons, for example a bad oline. They absolutely should be the measuring stick

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Why do fans on here constantly compare us to NE and what they would or wouldn’t do? I mean I get it, they’ve got one hell of a dynasty going but if you want us to be like them so bad, go root for them. (Not directed at you Mr,Debonair, just some fans in general that constantly say we need to copy NE)

I think because fans want to win and they look at New England and go I want to win like they do so let’s be what they are.  The reality is that it’s very hard to copy another team because you don’t have the players and coaches they do.  Also given the way New England does things at times I’d prefer the Colts not be like them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I have friends that do that too. When I say we won a SB and 12+ games 7 years in a row, they tell me we are not the Pats though.

Really it is because they have won a lot of SB's and we have been very good to great for 20 seasons but not at their level of winning. No other team is in reality either. How many times has Ben and the Steelers beat the Pats, answer is 0. At least Peyton beat them as a Colt in an AFC Title Game leading to a SB win. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rockywoj said:

So you want a kicker that had two bad games in a row to quit?  Yeah, that would be really classy. <roll eyes>

I have a better idea ... he fights through two bad games and proceeds to be old reliable for the next 14 games plus 4 playoff games, then retiring as a SuperBowl champion.  

Get real

8 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Some of today's Colt fans.......

source.gif

A real colts fan would respectfully want him to retire. Vinny has had a great career but it's time to hang em up. Colts fans should care more about their team winning than the feelings of a player who may be the difference between winning and losing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cbear said:

That's three bad games in a row.  I'm not sure what's going on.  Imo, you don't fall so fast.  It's not like he's been losing distance over the years.  He just seemed to fall off a cliff.  

That’s normally how it goes for kickers at the end.  They just lose it.

• Like 3

• Nadine changed the title to Adam Vinatieri?https://forums.colts.com/topic/63094-adam-vinatieri/??
4 hours ago, cbear said:

That's three bad games in a row.  I'm not sure what's going on.  Imo, you don't fall so fast.  It's not like he's been losing distance over the years.  He just seemed to fall off a cliff.  

Honestly, that’s exactly how things go with kickers usually.  Not sure why

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You and others may be right, it may be time for him to call it quits. I just do not like to see 2 bad games be the deciding factor. I can see 4 or 5 bad games as that would be obvious. We are not talking just any kicker, it is Adam. 

That's the problem.   Keeping a bad player because of what he once did.   Even Ballard knows that is a poor way to build a team.  Adam came very close to costing us 2 games so far this year.   He's a huge liability.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, cbear said:

A lot of players just fall off a cliff.  

Peyton Manning just sort of fell off a cliff with Denver in his 2nd to last year.  One game he was doing great, looking like his same old self.  The next game he was having trouble completing passes that he used to complete in his sleep.

Of course at the time it was just chalked up to a bad game.  But it just sort of continued.  

I 100% believe it is a mental thing with Adam. After watching him practice kicks yesterday he absolutely still has the power but I would like to see if his kicking motion has slightly changed due to injury. I have been in a very similar position in a sport that takes an incredible amount of concentration and was successful at it for awhile  but somehow I got into a really bad funk. I couldn't pull myself out of it and just got more and more frustrated with myself and continued to get worse and worse. I don't know how he could bring himself out of it but god I feel terrible for him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, twfish said:

I 100% believe it is a mental thing with Adam. 

I agree, it's hard to understand how he is making 60 and 64 yard FGs in practice but can't get a chip shot through the uprights in a game. He clearly has the power and the aim in practices, so it's not a physical decline. It's sad to watch him struggle like this.

• Like 2

I think the idea that he's mentally in a bad place confidence-wise is obvious. Hard to believe for a guy who has been so unflappable for so long. But he's clearly lost something both mentally and physically and he can't right the ship. He's had an entire off season to recover from the ugly KC playoff game last year, and he's kicking even worse. Three straight games being simply terrible. Father time has caught up with AV. He fought it off far longer than anyone in recent memory. But its time; he needs to step aside and avoid further embarrassment to his marvelous legacy. Not to mention putting his team in jeopardy of losing each week because he can't make an extra point.  No phony face saving moves like going on IR. Just retire now, with the thanks and gratitude of Colts nation. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Carli Lloyd...

Seriously a lot to chose from who were solid in camps this preseason. Hedlund has to be on speed dial we could assume.

Kaare Vedvik,Elliott Frye, Greg Joseph,Blair Walsh, Georgio Tavecchio

Vinny is a legend, look forward to the club honoring him and maybe keeping him around as an advisor/ mentor to whom ever we bring in. He sure tutored all the rookie we brought in over the years many of who stuck on NFL rosters.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, csmopar said:

It's because they are Pats fans posing as Colts fans on this forum.  I don't know why they do it.  But they like to try to bring the Patriots into every thread.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have friends that do that too. When I say we won a SB and 12+ games 7 years in a row, they tell me we are not the Pats though.

Really it is because they have won a lot of SB's and we have been very good to great for 20 seasons but not at their level of winning. No other team is in reality either. How many times has Ben and the Steelers beat the Pats, answer is 0. At least Peyton beat them as a Colt in an AFC Title Game leading to a SB win. 

That's gotta be the most annoying thing ever.

There was a time when people were proud of what their city did and didnt steal their own joy by comparing themselves to someone else. I miss those days.

I dont remember Pacers fans trashing themselves because they werent the Bulls. They still take pride in their consistency and accomplishments. And they never won the title.

• Like 2

Kickers are always weird.  It is the most mentally draining position on any team.   When you get older, it takes longer to heal, physically, intellectually, and emotionally.  I also guarantee that he is more aware and disappointed about his performance than anybody else.  I hope, and believe, he will bounce back.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

That's gotta be the most annoying thing ever.

There was a time when people were proud of what their city did and didnt steal their own joy by comparing themselves to someone else. I miss those days.

I dont remember Pacers fans trashing themselves because they werent the Bulls. They still take pride in their consistency and accomplishments. And they never won the title.

It's very annoying. I have a friend that compares the Patriots to everything. When I bring up Tony Dungy, he will say - well he is not Bill Belichick for example. Back in the 90's Pacers fans were very loyal, everyone loved Reggie so I didn't hear much trashing of the Pacers either.

• Thanks 1

The only person who knows if Adam is done is Adam. Kickers have bad moments and get in a funk. We don't know if its truly him feeling old age or just a couple of bad games. Lets let the pros make the decision and stop jumping the gun when a player has a bad performance. If he retires, best of luck to him and I thank him for all his sacrifice and hard work. If he doesn't, he still has my respect and confidence. 

• Like 3

I 100% believe that Adam is the kind of player and leader that knows better than anyone when it's time to step down.  He will not try and work through his struggles if it means the team is at risk of losing games due to his missed kicks.

The struggles go back 5 games...beyond the playoffs last year.

I was at camp this summer and saw Cole Hedlund kicking very well and my research this morning shows he is a free agent.  I feel like AV, CB, Reich and Irsay will meet this morning and we'll know something this afternoon.

I predict retirement and a signing of Hedlund.

• Like 2

I don't think anyone needs to be watching the press interview to know what's goign to be said..  I don't think there's anything unfolding in front of our eyes that it's unreasonable to speculate retirement.  Vinny is 2 years younger than the oldest football plyer all time (George Blanda retired at 48 I think).  Most playes are out by early-mid 30s and it's exceedingly rare to see anyone over 40 in the NFL, let alone 46. I'm glad he ended his tenure here and despite all the back and forth between Pats/Colts fans over the years, we share the greatest kicker of all time.   

I've always said that he's one of those players that he's earned enough goodwill and produced enough on the field, that you keep him until he proves he can't do it anymore.  I think the press conference will be proof of that as the lines of communication appear to be open and honest between Colts FO and Vinatieri.  Good for him.  Well deserved and expect he'll be inducted in the HOF in 5 years without question.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, TheMose said:

The only person who knows if Adam is done is Adam. Kickers have bad moments and get in a funk. We don't know if its truly him feeling old age or just a couple of bad games. Lets let the pros make the decision and stop jumping the gun when a player has a bad performance. If he retires, best of luck to him and I thank him for all his sacrifice and hard work. If he doesn't, he still has my respect and confidence. 

Thank you. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I don't think anyone needs to be watching the press interview to know what's goign to be said..  I don't think there's anything unfolding in front of our eyes that it's unreasonable to speculate retirement.  Vinny is 2 years younger than the oldest football plyer all time (George Blanda retired at 48 I think).  Most playes are out by early-mid 30s and it's exceedingly rare to see anyone over 40 in the NFL, let alone 46. I'm glad he ended his tenure here and despite all the back and forth between Pats/Colts fans over the years, we share the greatest kicker of all time.   

I've always said that he's one of those players that he's earned enough goodwill and produced enough on the field, that you keep him until he proves he can't do it anymore.  I think the press conference will be proof of that as the lines of communication appear to be open and honest between Colts FO and Vinatieri.  Good for him.  Well deserved and expect he'll be inducted in the HOF in 5 years without question.

has there been any announcement to a presser today? outside of the comments from last night, I've not seen anything about one

11 hours ago, csmopar said:

Dang, I love Vinny but I think it’s time. They may give him one last week, our home opener to see how he does kicking indoors in a friendly environment. He misses there, at home, it’s game over

Vinny may be thinkin "great, I'll get booed at home next week when i doink a couple."

Anyone see "Manchurian Candidate"?  I think Belichek finally "flipped the switch" on Vinny.  All part of his evil plan.  He has his "robots" all over the league now. 

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

has there been any announcement to a presser today? outside of the comments from last night, I've not seen anything about one

I was listening to the radio on the way to work and they were asking JMV (which by the way, he sounds totally different on the phone calling in than he does while recording the show from his studio) if they thought Adam would be retired before he went on air.  Made it sound like the press conference was going to be some time in the early afternoon.  But they never did say a time so I guess for now, monitor the news/twitter till something is mentioned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barry Sears said:

He will not try and work through his struggles if it means the team is at risk of losing games due to his missed kicks.

Yes, he addressed that in previous times.  He will leave when he is no longer an asset but becomes a liability.

He may well feel that way now, and might retire if he team doesn't talk him out of it.

We'll see if he talks today, like he said he would yesterday.

During the broadcast they said AV told them that if he was the GM, he would have cut himself after last week's game. Probably tongue-in-cheek, but combine that with his previous comments that he doesn't want to be a liability, and the fact that he took some time to decide whether to come back after last season, I think he's decided he's done.

At first I was thinking that he was just frustrated after yesterday when he told Holder that he'd speak with the media today, maybe emotional and had decided to hang it up, but could be talked out of it by this afternoon. But I would think he set certain criteria for himself, and he knows he's not hitting those criteria. I think he blames himself for the Week 1 loss (which is reasonable), and with clear eyes sees himself as a liability. I don't know if he thinks he can rebound, but I doubt he wants to let the team down again. 

I also think he's in his own head. He was kicking fine in warmups in Week 1, reportedly he was kicking fine during the week and in warmups yesterday. It's not like his leg is suddenly falling off, or he's struggling through an injury (that we know of, it's certainly not obvious watching him). 

So if I had to bet, I'd say he's going to hang it up today. I said last week, and several times before, eventually AV won't be able to keep kicking, and it will be said, but when that happens, it's time for him to step aside. If that day has come, I'm sad to see it, but everyone involved has to be fair to the team. And to AV. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

During the broadcast they said AV told them that if he was the GM, he would have cut himself after last week's game. Probably tongue-in-cheek, but combine that with his previous comments that he doesn't want to be a liability, and the fact that he took some time to decide whether to come back after last season, I think he's decided he's done.

At first I was thinking that he was just frustrated after yesterday when he told Holder that he'd speak with the media today, maybe emotional and had decided to hang it up, but could be talked out of it by this afternoon. But I would think he set certain criteria for himself, and he knows he's not hitting those criteria. I think he blames himself for the Week 1 loss (which is reasonable), and with clear eyes sees himself as a liability. I don't know if he thinks he can rebound, but I doubt he wants to let the team down again. 

I also think he's in his own head. He was kicking fine in warmups in Week 1, reportedly he was kicking fine during the week and in warmups yesterday. It's not like his leg is suddenly falling off, or he's struggling through an injury (that we know of, it's certainly not obvious watching him). 

So if I had to bet, I'd say he's going to hang it up today. I said last week, and several times before, eventually AV won't be able to keep kicking, and it will be said, but when that happens, it's time for him to step aside. If that day has come, I'm sad to see it, but everyone involved has to be fair to the team. And to AV. 

well said. AV deserves to retire on his terms, hes earned it.  IF he does retire, I hope he gets to be honored Sunday at LOS.  And while Luck deserved the booing, IF anyone boos AV when he announces his retirement, they deserve a butt-kicking.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Indy_Mike said:

I hope you're right, and I respect your opinion, but I just wasn't that impressed with either performance. The Chargers lost to Detroit yesterday, and the only reason we won yesterday was because neither Mariota or the Titans coaching staff know how to manage the last minute of a game! 

Chargers loss to the Lions just shows how hard it is to win on the road in the nfl. The colts should be 2-0 on the road, against 2 playoff contenders from last year

• Like 1