Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who "won" the Dorsett-Brissett trade

Imgrandojji

Simple enough premise. 

We got a depth QB who has been tasked with filling the hole left behind by Andrew Luck.

GettyImages-1167091784-e1567088914967.jp

The Patriots got Phillip Dorsett, a receiver who didn't do much for us, but is steadily improving in their system and delivered in the clutch in the playoffs

gettyimages-1097175728.jpg

Now that both players have really had a chance to settle in -- did we win, by securing insurance and insuring we didn't get stuck in QB limbo after Luck's departure, did the Patriots win by securing an over-the-top piece that helped them win the shootout in the AFCCG against the Chiefs?  Or is this one of those rare situations where everyone can be happy?

Both teams got exactly what they were looking for. It is a win/win.  Brissett was never going see the field behind Brady, so the Pats got a piece they needed for something they didn’t need. The Colts got a piece they needed for a piece they didn’t need . 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

Both teams got exactly what they were looking for. It is a win/win.  Brissett was never going see the field behind Brady, so the Pats got a piece they needed for something they didn’t need. The Colts got a piece they needed for a piece they didn’t need . 

I tend to agree both got exactly what they needed to fill injury holes.

In terms of who got the better end of the deal, ask me in a few months.

Well in addition to Brissett we were still bad enough to teade down and still net Quenton Nelson. If Jacoby has improved and can lead the Colts to a playoff berth, I'd say the Colts won.  If he only manages 4 wins again Colts draft high and I'd say the Colts still come out on top......Brissett could bring us two top 5 draft picks!  Twisted logic maybe, but I'll stand by it.  Plus Campbell kindof negates the need for Dorsett.  Ballard got the better of the deal.

3 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

Well in addition to Brissett we were still bad enough to teade down and still net Quenton Nelson. If Jacoby has improved and can lead the Colts to a playoff berth, I'd say the Colts won.  If he only manages 4 wins again Colts draft high and I'd say the Colts still come out on top......Brissett could bring us two top 5 draft picks!  Twisted logic maybe, but I'll stand by it.  Plus Campbell kindof negates the need for Dorsett.  Ballard got the better of the deal.

Yea well Campbell  is alot shiftier than dorsett

4 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Simple enough premise. 

We got a depth QB who has been tasked with filling the hole left behind by Andrew Luck.

GettyImages-1167091784-e1567088914967.jp

The Patriots got Phillip Dorsett, a receiver who didn't do much for us, but is steadily improving in their system and delivered in the clutch in the playoffs

gettyimages-1097175728.jpg

Now that both players have really had a chance to settle in -- did we win, by securing insurance and insuring we didn't get stuck in QB limbo after Luck's departure, did the Patriots win by securing an over-the-top piece that helped them win the shootout in the AFCCG against the Chiefs?  Or is this one of those rare situations where everyone can be happy?

So far Patriots have won that trade, Dorsett helped them secure another Super Bowl. Unless Jacoby comes out and gets the Colts to a Super Bowl this year then it’s the Pats.

I think Brissets ceiling may be higher than we all think. A lot say we dont know hes really good because we haven't seen anything. You forget what a player plays like after a year of nothing. I understand. But I remember only feeling good about our back up QB when it was all said and done. The forums annointed him the best back up in the league. He had gotten praise from both Reich and Ballard, along with Bill parcels. 2 of those guys are SB winners. 

So if I remember how I felt after that year, nearly everyone agreed that this team was severely lacking in talent but no one on here felt bad about our backup QB. One of the worst Olines in football. 

I dont think the optimism is completely undeserved. His ceiling could be higher than we all think. What has shown he has a low ceiling? I have heard a few times people say he has a low ceiling. 

I'm in the optimist group. 

Jmo

Ridiculous debate. Dorsett is nothing. Brissett is a starting QB.  Months ago, pre Luck retirement, I posted that on the basis of the Colts getting a quality backup QB, the Colts fleeced the Pats on this trade.  I stand by that review, emphatically,

At the moment the Pats won. They got a guy that helped them win the Super Bowl which is surely the final reason any team undertakers any transaction. 

We got a guy who performed the role of a mediocre back up when he was initially required but with some caveats about the team around him. 

The next 12 months will show definitively. If Brissett turns out to be a top 15 quarterback then we've got the better end of the deal. If hes 'just' a back up or a starter that you're continually on the verge of replacing then until we win the SB the Pats have come off best from the swap.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

At the moment the Pats won. They got a guy that helped them win the Super Bowl which is surely the final reason any team undertakers any transaction. 

We got a guy who performed the role of a mediocre back up when he was initially required but with some caveats about the team around him. 

The next 12 months will show definitively. If Brissett turns out to be a top 15 quarterback then we've got the better end of the deal. If hes 'just' a back up or a starter that you're continually on the verge of replacing then until we win the SB the Pats have come off best from the swap.

They play totally different positions so comparing them is not cut and dried.

Brissett is 99% more important to the Colts than what Dorsett is to the Patriots.

Brady throws where pretty much any receiver with talent is going to make some catches.

The QB is the toughest position to play not only physically, but mentally as well.

Personally I don't care "won" or come out ahead. It seems the trade has worked out for both teams so who cares?

All I know is this: Ballard looks like a genius for trading for Jacoby, dumping Dorsett who apart from sheer speed never did anything noteworthy for INDY, & think of how screwed our team would be without an experienced QB under center right now...

Rings aren't everything & besides--in clutch situations--Brady rarely looks to Phillip to bail the Patriots out of a 3rd & long must have conversion now is he? Hmmm...

Frank will speed up Jacoby's reads & release times just like he did for Luck. INDY won this trade hands down. 

Tom will be looking at WR Demaryius Thomas to lift the top off a defense not Dorsett. I still remember Demaryius in Denver man. The dude is a bonafide beast. Dorsett? Child please...

• Like 5

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Personally I don't care "won" or come out ahead. It seems the trade has worked out for both teams so who cares?

Hey there CC1, 

Nice to read a post from you again. You have a way of distilling down the noise & highlighting what really matters in the end. So true, both squads filled a glaring void on their roster. 

I'll be honest. I loved Jacoby as a backup, but as a full fledged starter, I'm a tad bit gun shy/apprehensive. Who knows, Jacoby might shock the hades out of me & surprise in an unforeseen good way like finding $20 in your pocket you forgot was even there as you begin to sort laundry. 

Jacoby does work his tail off & I'll take a determined grinder every day of the week. 

25 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

All I know is this: Ballard looks like a genius for trading for Jacoby, dumping Dorsett who apart from sheer speed never did anything noteworthy for INDY, & think of how screwed our team would be without an experienced QB under center right now...

Rings aren't everything & besides--in clutch situations--Brady rarely looks to Phillip to bail the Patriots out of a 3rd & long must have conversion now is he? Hmmm...

Frank will speed up Jacoby's reads & release times just like he did for Luck. INDY won this trade hands down. 

Tom will be looking at WR Demaryius Thomas to lift the top off a defense not Dorsett. I still remember Demaryius in Denver man. The dude is a bonafide beast. Dorsett? Child please...

The move to trade for Brissett looks really great now. Brissett may not be Luck but he is a lot better than Walker, Osweiler, Cassell, or Weeden. We may have something good with Chad Kelly but not sure yet. If Brissett can just be a top 15 QB I will take it as long as our defense is as good as advertised and our O.line can dominate some games.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

Shiny hardware is indeed the easiest measuring stick to ascertain success. I really can't dispute that. I put more clout on rings then I probably should. I'll own that. I know how hard they are to attain & I still hold Jim Kelly & Dan Marino in the highest plateaus without them as well. 

There is the remote possibly Jacoby turns into something special. A la Kurt Warner. That's what I love about this league man: Diamonds in the rough no one ever saw coming.

Keep in mind I said "remote possibly" before anybody thinks SW1 has gone off the deep end. LOL! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The move to trade for Brissett looks really great now. Brissett may not be Luck but he is a lot better than Walker, Osweiler, Cassell, or Weeden. We may have something good with Chad Kelly but not sure yet. If Brissett can just be a top 15 QB I will take it as long as our defense is as good as advertised and our O.line can dominate some games.

Brock...Now, talk about a QB that fell off the NFL map. He plays a vital role in helping the Broncos win another ring, refuses to follow in Manning's shadow, goes to Houston; & the wheels literally fall off. Not every starting QB can handle the glare of the spotlight that's for sure. 

Jacoby, on the other hand, can take the heat & handle the pressure as our starter. I can see why Bill Parcels took a shine to this kid. He's tough & knows how to adapt. Not guaranteeing anything obviously; I just like his mental makeup overall. 

• Like 2

I often wonder about this scenario: Say Brissett is instrumental in winning us the AFC South Division Title, he secures a playoff win, Frank & Chris see strides in his game by season's end...And then, Luck calls up Jimmy--Claims his body feels refreshed & immediately wants to return home back into the horseshoe fold. 

What then? How would he be received? How would this land to those devoted fans who were furious & devastated? Is all forgiven & is he embraced with open arms or not? 

I would welcome Andrew back gladly, but I don't speak for everybody either. How would this controversy ultimately get settled? Just asking...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I often wonder about this scenario: Say Brissett is instrumental in winning us the AFC South Division Title, he secures a playoff win, Frank & Chris see strides in his game by season's end...And then, Luck calls up Jimmy--Claims his body feels refreshed & immediately wants to return home back into the horseshoe fold. 

What then? How would he be received? How would this land to those devoted fans who were furious & devastated? Is all forgiven & is he embraced with open arms or not? 

I would welcome Andrew back gladly, but I don't speak for everybody either. How would this controversy ultimately get settled? Just asking...

If Brissett gets us to 10-6 and we win the South and a playoff game. IMO most people would want Brissett back as the starter in 2020. I actually would as well.

• Like 1

In Dorsetts two seasons with NE he's caught 44 - 484 - 3 which is only slightly better than his 2016 season with the Colts.

In Brissetts two seasons he went 4-11 as the starter in 2017 - on a really cruddy roster. He completed nearly 60% of his passes with nearly twice as many TD's as INT's.

Based on production it's pretty much a wash at this point. 

HOWEVER, the hidden silver lining here is while Brissett was a 'serviceable' starter that year with no knowledge of the playbook or teammates - he played well enough to net the 3rd pick in the 2018 draft.

That 3rd pick then netted us:

Nelson

Smith

Turay

Wilkins

Ya-Sin

Those first two guys are the primary reason why he will have more success in 2019 than 2017......good karma at work there.

So who won the trade you ask? I would say the Colts won in a landslide!

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, rock8591 said:

LOL Dorsett.

A 5-6th receiver pretending to be #1-3.

He is the #4 WR in NE.. perhaps #5. (Not sure if Harry is below or just above him)

But Brady trusts him and that means more than anything else right now for NE.

22 hours ago, Lennon1940 said:

I think anytime you get a QB who has the ability to at least manage a game as a starter (because some teams hardly even have that), that's better than most any other skill players out there except for the really, really elite ones. 

We won that trade. 

We gave up a player we didn't need/want and got a good player. But you could say the same for New England.  Brisset was never going to play in New England.  Dorsett was not doing anything here. It was an even trade.

13 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Tom will be looking at WR Demaryius Thomas to lift the top off a defense not Dorsett. I still remember Demaryius in Denver man. The dude is a bonafide beast. 

Patriots released Demaryius Thomas. :) 

On 8/31/2019 at 6:00 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Brissett gets us to 10-6 and we win the South and a playoff game. IMO most people would want Brissett back as the starter in 2020. I actually would as well.

Good post as always CBE. Jacoby definitely deserves a shot at starting & I like what Frank & Chris did giving Brissett a contract extension. A very smart move by our organization to calm fans down & establish QB continuity temporarily for now.

Stability is essential right now & giving Jacoby more money lets him know how much INDY values his contributions past & present. 

• Like 1

Not sure anyone really one but Brissett ended up being a way more valuable asset to the Colts than Dorset is to the Pats.

Dorsett is still a mediocre receiver. He hasn’t done anything more than he did here. He’ll be a FA after the season if I’m not mistaken. He probably won’t get re-signed and we’ll see how he does on another team in 2020.

12 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I thought NE brought DT back after rookie WR N'Keal Harry hurt his ankle I think. 

That is true!!! DT is no longer the beast like he was in 2014 but he is both expendable and serviceable, according to Belichick. :) 

• Like 1