Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who "won" the Dorsett-Brissett trade

Imgrandojji

13 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Don't get me wrong...I dislike NE as much as the next sane person...but why can't it be a win-win move? 

Brissett looks like he might be a top 10 QB in the league.  Only getting a WR3 in return is a loss for the Patriots overall.  

I would agree that just looking at roster spots, it worked out for the Pats.  Brady is still playing so a not so good WR may be more beneficial than a backup QB.  

10 hours ago, fahlman said:

Confirmed:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/headtohead?player1=PAS035497&player2=DOR488199&position=widereceiver&playerOne=Zach+Pascal&playerTwo=Phillip+Dorsett

Who in their right mind would trade Brissett for Pascal, knowing what we know now?

Nice link.

Pascal's numbers are better than Dorsetts this season.  

I think Jacoby is similar to Dak Prescott.   Would it be a fair trade - Pacal for Dak?

5 hours ago, Myles said:

Brissett looks like he might be a top 10 QB in the league.  Only getting a WR3 in return is a loss for the Patriots overall.  

I would agree that just looking at roster spots, it worked out for the Pats.  Brady is still playing so a not so good WR may be more beneficial than a backup QB.  

Yep...trading a 3rd round pick QB after his rookie year for Dorsett already had a level of loss built into it. The Colts always got the better end of it...valuewise.

But setting that aside...the trade hasn't really changed on NE's side. They got a mildly productive WR...who seems to perform when called upon (not sure why he hasn't been targeted more)...and they traded away a guy who would not have played the past 2+ years (and therefore would have not been more valuable). 

His value right now is the result of circumstances. Of course BB wouldn't mind getting back the current version of JB (with these 6 games on tape) so he could turnaround and trade him for something else...who wouldn't? But that's not how trades work...and it's a silly notion to think about. 

Let's say the circumstances played out differently...and Luck didn't retire. JB is a still a backup QB heading into FA. Or maybe Ballard traded JB for a 3rd round pick this past offseason. If he was playing well on that other team...I bet (guarantee) most here would call it a win-win now and in the future...even if that draft pick was the equivalent of Dorsett.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Yep...trading a 3rd round pick QB after his rookie year for Dorsett already had a level of loss built into it. The Colts always got the better end of it...valuewise.

But setting that aside...the trade hasn't really changed on NE's side. They got a mildly productive WR...who seems to perform when called upon (not sure why he hasn't been targeted more)...and they traded away a guy who would not have played the past 2+ years (and therefore would have not been more valuable). 

His value right now is the result of circumstances. Of course BB wouldn't mind getting back the current version of JB (with these 6 games on tape) so he could turnaround and trade him for something else...who wouldn't? But that's not how trades work...and it's a silly notion to think about. 

Let's say the circumstances played out differently...and Luck didn't retire. JB is a still a backup QB heading into FA. Or maybe Ballard traded JB for a 3rd round pick this past offseason. If he was playing well on that other team...I bet (guarantee) most here would call it a win-win now and in the future...even if that draft pick was the equivalent of Dorsett.

That pretty well sums it up about as good as it can be. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/22/2019 at 11:10 AM, Chloe6124 said:

The colts clearly won the trade. You can’t compare a WR with a QB. QB is so much more important.

The Patriots didn’t need Brisset; how is that a loss?  Dorsett is playing well for the Patriots; from the Patriot perspective , it was a win for them. 

At the time, did any Colt fan view Brisset as a starter?  Certainly not.

You al do realize that JB for the Patriots was nowhere near what he is now , yes?  And that he needed three seasons (or at least 2+) to get to where he is now?

i do not believe that Colt fans felt like they won this trade when Brissett had to fill in for Luck two seasons ago.  

He has needed all of that playing time to get to where he is now.  He was not going to get that development with the Patriots.  Therefore, this was a win for the Patriots at the time , and has only become a win for the Colts due to the amount of time Brissett has been able to have over the last three years in Indy.