Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brock Osweiler Visted the colts

43 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He is suspended two games. This is most likely just for the first two games.

I agree.  Just for the 1st. two games then it's Kelly.  But then we need a QB on the practice squad.  If they are not comfortable with Walker backing up Brissett for two games why put him back on the practice squad again?  I  would rather they sign a QB to the practice squad who gets cut than put Walker on it again.

2 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

Agree...…… Agree...…… Agree...…...

As I said earlier Position merry go rounds are going to occur for various reasons

13 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Still could happen if PW is the backup

I know it was Jay Gruden idea to play 4 QBs in Washington last year

14 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

OK, prove me wrong.  Show me what Kelly proved against grocery baggers and practice squad fodder in a meaningless preseason game that tells you he's NFL ready right now

Only a fool would think you could throw most of any QB out there right now and think he's going to give optimal performance.  What I do believe is he's got the necessary tools and talent to be developed into a starter by next year based on little things ive seen.  I believe JB should be the starter, but I think you could develop Kelly as the year went along.  I think if he had to play right now he'd take his lumps, but clearly that kid had some tools to work with.  The accuracy is there, the movement in the pocket is there,  the foot speed is there, he's aware of what's going on, he has a since for timing and the type of touch needed on his throws.  There's some things to clean up but I certainly could see him being a starter at some point on down the line. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'm not one who thinks Kelly should be starting.   I do think he looked polished in his limited time.   Obviously Ballard seen something in him too.   Osweiler didn't look good in his 30 NFL starts.   It would probably be a coin flip who would do better.   Brock has a career rating of 78.   That is not hard to do.  It's a little higher than Manziel and not too much better than Curtis Painter.   

I'm just saying the Brock doesn't have the great numbers to distance himself from Kelly too much.   

Agreed, Brock doesn't excite me.  But it's worth remembering that Osweiler took the Texans to the playoffs in 16 before running headlong into the Patriots in the divisional round.  Sure, he got carried, but he does have SOME pertinent experience.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Only a fool would think you could throw most of any QB out there right now and think he's going to give optimal performance.  What I do believe is he's got the necessary tools and talent to be developed into a starter by next year based on little things ive seen.  I believe JB should be the starter, but I think you could develop Kelly as the year went along.  I think if he had to play right now he'd take his lumps, but clearly that kid had some tools to work with.  The accuracy is there, the movement in the pocket is there,  the foot speed is there, he's aware of what's going on, he has a since for timing and the type of touch needed on his throws.  There's some things to clean up but I certainly could see him being a starter at some point on down the line. 

I would like to see CK use this year as a redshirt to develop as a all around QB and mature as a person

The Colts Organization has already had to deal with a few QB that was not mature enough to play in the NFL and things did not end well 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm about to shock you.

I agree 100%.  He's an interesting project. What he isn't, at least not right now, is a viable alternative to Brissett.

Honestly I'd be happier to stash Kelly in the practice squad and give him some  time to marinate in the system and the team ethics.  Let him work with Brissett in practice and see what comes of it.  Brissett is strong in several areas Kelly needs to prove himself, especially in terms of character and poise.

If Kelly takes that chance and blows peoples' socks off in practice I'd be OK with promoting him to the active roster then.  See if he can get some good snaps in the second half.  But what I'm against, is a guy with character question marks being handed a key role on the team (and make no mistake, QB2 IS a key role) without having to grind for it.  I think the job will be worth more to Kelly if he has to fight for it.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I'm saying again just off my eye for talent I think Sirriani and Reich could mold Chad Kelly into a real nice NFL QB.  Hopefully JB is the answer, but if not I think the answer could possibly be here already. 

haven't you heard man? Kelly is trash and not worth even being our #2 QB

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Myles said:

The only reason I may be in that boat is that I don't want this team to be a rotating QB team.   They never do well.  Brissett loses the first game and gets hurt.  Brock wins game 2 but loses games 3 and 4.  (1-3 so far).   They start Kelly.   He wins game 5 and loses game 6 and 7 ( 2-5).  Brissett is back from the injury.  He loses game 8 and doesn't look good.   Thus leaving us on a merry-go-around of our 3 QB's.   We've seen this stuff happen with other teams and I really don't want to be there. 

We're just talking about a player who has a realistic chance of playing pro level football if Brissett gets hurt. We're not talking about someone who would be expected to lead us to the Super Bowl. We're just talking about upgrading our backup QB in the early part of the season.

I don't think Walker is a pro level QB, so to me, it doesn't make sense to have him on the active roster. I'm not exactly an Osweiler fan, but he's better than Walker, even fresh off the street.

And honestly, while I'm optimistic about Chad Kelly, the guy is suspended for a reason. He's shown some serious instability in his life, and a propensity for making terrible decisions. Even if he weren't suspended, I wouldn't mind having some insurance for him, in case he does something dumb again. At some point he'll live down his prior mistakes, but he hasn't yet.

As a matter of fact, we're talking about Kelly as if it's a foregone conclusion that he'll be QB2, and that's probably premature. If Luck weren't hurt, and now gone, I think we'd all expect to carry just two QBs on the active roster, and would be hoping to put Kelly on the PS. That was my stated projection over the offseason. Kelly was a free agent until May, it's not like everyone was beating down the door to sign him. Again, I like his potential, but we could probably do better than him as the primary backup, if we're being honest.

26 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I'm about to shock you.

I agree 100%.  He's an interesting project. What he isn't, at least not right now, is a viable alternative to Brissett.

Honestly I'd be happier to stash Kelly in the practice squad and give him some  time to marinate in the system and the team ethics.  Let him work with Brissett in practice and see what comes of it.  Brissett is strong in several areas Kelly needs to prove himself, especially in terms of character and poise.

If Kelly takes that chance and blows peoples' socks off in practice I'd be OK with promoting him to the active roster then.  See if he can get some good snaps in the second half.  But what I'm against, is a guy with character question marks being handed a key role on the team (and make no mistake, QB2 IS a key role) without having to grind for it.  I think the job will be worth more to Kelly if he has to fight for it.

I have a little bit more confidence in him than that.  I think he could be the #2 QB this year and should be the #2 QB if you think he has that high upside and can be developed into a starter. If he has to play then so be it.  If JB got hurt, We aren't going anywhere with just about anybody they bring in here as the #2 QB as it stands right now. Literally any choice outside of maybe Sudfield is a straight up stop gap and most of us know the train will only go so far.

If Kelly continues to carry himself the right way I'd give him the shot at being QB #2.  Hell we've allowed guys like Painter, Orlovsky, Jim Sorgi and a host of other scrubs who had not even a snow balls chance in hell of leading the team anywhere to back up Manning and Luck. I don't know I just picked up some things after watching Kellys snaps.  Something about his will power and swagger that I like along with the tools. 

• Like 1

QB2 is about more than just injury relief though.  A good QB2 runs the scout team, watches tape with the QB1, and helps the OC game plan, all  things Kelly isn't likely to be able to help with. 

I want a veteran in that room because Brissett himself is still in development right now.  Having 2 development guys with no voice of experience won't do either of them any favors.

In my mind the ideal is a rookie developing behind a veteran, or a veteran mentoring behind a rookie.  The best QBs developed in that kind of environment, Brady behind Bledsoe, Roethlisberger behind Maddux, Young behind Montana, Rodgers behind Favre.  Having a veteran who's been  around the block and can give the youngster the benefit of his experience is a huge developmental asset and if you're going to do without that, it should be for a good reason

I'd take Sudfeld in a heart beat, but I thought someone said he was on IR with ankle issue. He was solid at IU (and I'm a Purdue guy) and I thought at the time he had NFL potential as at least a competent No  2. 

• Like 1

Keep a couple things in mind about Chad Kelly....

Frank Reich and Jim Kelly, were, and are still, relatively close.  

No coincidence that he signed here.  I think Jim trusts Frank to straighten out his nephew, and I think Frank might be the one guy that can get through to him.  

Watch the video, I’m not ready to crown him the heir apparent, but he has a ton of upside.  He is not going to be on the PS because he will be pilfered.  He has been one of the best performing QB’s in the preseason.  No one is going to steal Walker.  You put Walker there and you hold tight to what you have.

Remember, we aren’t going to ask any of them to win the game...we are going to ask them not to make decisions that will create a loss.  We just need clean, no turnover C+ talent, because there is no A+ to go get.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

QB2 is about more than just injury relief though.  A good QB2 runs the scout team, watches tape with the QB1, and helps the OC game plan, all  things Kelly isn't likely to be able to help with. 

I want a veteran in that room because Brissett himself is still in development right now.  Having 2 development guys with no voice of experience won't do either of them any favors.

In my mind the ideal is a rookie developing behind a veteran, or a veteran mentoring behind a rookie.  The best QBs developed in that kind of environment, Brady behind Bledsoe, Roethlisberger behind Maddux, Young behind Montana, Rodgers behind Favre.  Having a veteran who's been  around the block and can give the youngster the benefit of his experience is a huge developmental asset and if you're going to do without that, it should be for a good reason

I don't think Osweiler is any more developed than Brissett. Brissetts played 15 games as the starter and he's sat there soaking up game from Andy Luck the whole time.  What's Osweiler or most any of these other so called street vets going to tell Brissett?  Being a starter isn't new for Brissett, he's not all that green.  I don't think you're crazy for wanting a Matt Hasslebeck type guy in there though.  However my contention is most of these #2 and #3 backups can't take anybody anwhere anyway.   I don't see any Nick Foles types out there .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Don't let the perfect/generational be the enemy of the good/franchise QB.

Expecting a generational type of talent is not realistic. For the last 3 days I've been repeating this sentiment here - first it's not realistic, and second it's not necessary for the team to be very successful with just a regular franchise type QB... the types that every year teams find in the draft and trade up in the draft for - Mahomes, Watson, Darnold, etc. None of those were considered generational types, and all of them were traded up for and IMO they all give their teams the chance to be very successful and potentially win titles with if they are surrounded by good enough talent.

This is what we should be aiming for... identify a talented QB with high end traits and/or skill, a QB who is not flawless and not generational(why you would be able to trade up for him in the draft) but one that with some work and refinement by your coaching staff will be able to run a highly efficient offense, will be able to playmake and win games for you consistently. This should be the goal... (if Brissett is not what we are looking for)... 

Exactly! We had a "generational" talent that did not win a Super Bowl. Maybe a solid QB with a team around him will do better.  We will have a lot more cap space to build that team.

wikipedia is saying Brock is a member of the Indianapolis Colts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brock_Osweiler

Brock Osweiler

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brock Alan Osweiler (born November 22, 1990) is an American football quarterback for the Indianapolis Colts of the National Football League.

Osweiler played college football at Arizona State University and was drafted by the Denver Broncos in the second round of the 2012 NFL Draft.

1 hour ago, #12. said:

Honestly, people need to lower their expectations, period.  That's where we are at the QB position.  Chances of us landing another elite, generational talent any time soon are slim.  We'll be throwing things at the wall until something sticks.  You might see quite a few QBs go through this town in the coming years.

Look, it's safe to say Colts are not quite as good, but, they may not be bad either. Let's see if JB can seize the day. his opportunity is once in a lifetime.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

He is suspended two games. This is most likely just for the first two games.

He's not ready to step in week #3 if JB should go down at end of game #2...

21 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I would rather wait until the cutdown to see if anyone is available but I will trust Ballard, Reich, Sirrianni, and Brady

Pro personnel and scouting department are already looking at all potential QB cuts or potential practice squad QB guys.

Kelly looked poised in the pocket, accurate; (there were a couple he missed) but on the whole, he had a nice touch on the ball and was quick on his feet.

Where I thought he needed development was in the blitz and some of that was due to the RBs or line, not picking up the extra defenders.

Brissett may be fine, I don’t know. But should the Colts want (or need), to go to a backup after the first two games, I’m fine with Kelly.

Someone mentioned he was going against inferior players. But a great throw is a great throw and the couple of scrambles he had were outstanding, regardless of the opposition. He stood in the pocket till the last second on a couple of those throws. Having rushers in your face is the same whether you’re going up against the Bears 2nd stringers or Kalil Mac.

Let’s not forget what Reich had part in, in Philadelphia. Yeah, I’m on board with Kelly, should we lose Brissett.

But bringing in a guy for insurance for 2 games might be a smart move. Even so,  I’d be shocked if they let Kelly go, especially if he has another good game.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, krunk said:

If they chose to put Kelly on the PS I'd probably do that during the season after everybodies roster is set.  You do that at cutdown  and I don't think he makes it to the PS. 

No team would pick him up since he would have to serve the suspension on their roster

The teams that will pick up a QB on cutdown day will be QB needy and will not have the luxury of waiting on a player

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

No team would pick him up since he would have to serve the suspension on their roster

The teams that will pick up a QB on cutdown day will be QB needy and will not have the luxury of waiting on a player

I thought he didn't count against the 53 for the first two games, so if so, he wouldn't get cut this Saturday regardless.

If he did get cut, teams with terrible #2s would likely to be more than happy to wait the 2 games if the pickings are slim. It's akin to what may happen here after game two.

47 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I thought he didn't count against the 53 for the first two games, so if so, he wouldn't get cut this Saturday regardless.

If he did get cut, teams with terrible #2s would likely to be more than happy to wait the 2 games if the pickings are slim. It's akin to what may happen here after game two.

The problem with cutting him immediately is that his suspension doesn’t take affect until his on a team

The Colts can place him and Antonio Garcia(if kept) to the reserve list and not cut them

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

He's not ready to step in week #3 if JB should go down at end of game #2...

Assuming you're talking about CK... Why? He's looked much more comfortable and in command than Walker. He will have had more time in the O than someone else that we might pick up off the street. Yes, he's gone up against lower tier players, but he's also had lower tier players on his side of the ball supporting him as well. 

39 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Assuming you're talking about CK... Why? He's looked much more comfortable and in command than Walker. He will have had more time in the O than someone else that we might pick up off the street. Yes, he's gone up against lower tier players, but he's also had lower tier players on his side of the ball supporting him as well. 

As @ColtsBlueFL said CK is not quite ready to be the #1 if something happens to JB

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I think the 49ers might keep both of their backups.  They both have looked pretty decent in regular season games.  I think 9ers will only let one go via trade.  Speaking of trades, I hear we traded Hairston to the Jets for a 6th round pick.