Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brock Osweiler Visted the colts

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

He had been in that O from day 1, CK hasn’t had that luxury 

True.  In that case I guess JB has to be our Brady then huh?  Unexpectedly thrust into action (again for him) & he leads us to the promised land.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

There’s no rush.. wait for cut day and see who comes available.. maybe a surprise cut like Colt McCoy or Josh Dobbs or Kiser.. some cut will be a surprise and a good pickup.. there’s always a decent QB cut..

That is the way I feel

If I was one of the coaches I would keep 2 QBs in week 1 & 2(JB and a QB to be named) and keep 3 QBs once CK comes back

6 hours ago, Superman said:

Brock Osweiler is a decent backup.

Appreciate you stepping up and saying it straight out.

I know you know Brock is one of the most polarizing and unpopular QB's (to fans) in the NFL.

Interesting to me that we brought him in yesterday,  and let him leave.    Don't know if we extended an offer and it was rejected?     Or,  we didn't like what we saw of him?    Either way,  every day we don't sign another QB makes it feel less likely that we will since it will likely be for only two days....

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know you know Brock is one of the most polarizing and unpopular QB's (to fans) in the NFL.

Interesting to me that we brought him in yesterday,  and let him leave.    Don't know if we extended an offer and it was rejected?     Or,  we didn't like what we saw of him?    Either way,  every day we don't sign another QB makes it feel less likely that we will since it will likely be for only two days....

It might be more of a wait a see on the team’s part until after Saturday 

It doesn’t appear Brock is any hot commodity 

I don't get why people aren't excited that we "lucked out" (great pun for this) having Jacoby on the Roster because it is likely he would have/will get signed as a starter by another team next year.  We already have him, have a history and a whole year audition with a playoff caliber team.  If he gets us in or even close to the playoffs with this schedule, he's our guy.  And THAT would be a great result from a terrible situation.  

Sure, we need a better back up for 2 games.. I think Osweiler would be perfect.  I would even keep BOTH on the roster as long as possible to see them compare to each other.  One might be our long term back up and imagine if Jacoby could help us to a winning season and we also had another top tier backup? 

Brissett is getting massive short shrift by media and fans alike.  I am on vacation in Wisconsin and I've worn a Colts cap and had over a dozen people stop me to talk about Luck and 100% of them followed the question with "Brissett just isn't good enough to fill in" to which I said, "we are so lucky to have a top tier back up already in house, it could be so much worse and it might be surprisingly good in the end."  I think the only place Jacoby might not be up to muster is processing speed of trouble spots.  Luck was a great improviser and Jacoby seems fairly vanilla.  But if the right plays are called, the right preparation is done, he can physically match :Luck.  His arm is slightly stronger and he's big and tough and healthy.  He may not be as quick, but we don't want him running anyway unless it is wide open.  Hopefully he learned last year from Luck to get down and get rid of the ball, something it took Luck sitting out a season to learn.  

I think things could be so much worse.  I figure Brissett is in the 15-22 range of QB's in the league.  If Ballard and Reich have built the way they say they are building, that might be enough to win.  The Colts only win with strong defense and a run game, whether it was Manning or Harbaugh or Luck (which is why Luck's era had no real chance of making it all the way until this year). 

Which would shock you more?  We finish 5-11 this year or we play in and win a playoff game?  I'd be more shocked if we lost 11 games.  And if Brissett pulled that off, he's held up to Luck's productivity for any given season but one.  And if he keeps his INTs down, his likely smaller TD rate won't harm us as much.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I don't get why people aren't excited that we "lucked out" (great pun for this) having Jacoby on the Roster because it is likely he would have/will get signed as a starter by another team next year.  We already have him, have a history and a whole year audition with a playoff caliber team.  If he gets us in or even close to the playoffs with this schedule, he's our guy.  And THAT would be a great result from a terrible situation.  

Sure, we need a better back up for 2 games.. I think Osweiler would be perfect.  I would even keep BOTH on the roster as long as possible to see them compare to each other.  One might be our long term back up and imagine if Jacoby could help us to a winning season and we also had another top tier backup? 

Brissett is getting massive short shrift by media and fans alike.  I am on vacation in Wisconsin and I've worn a Colts cap and had over a dozen people stop me to talk about Luck and 100% of them followed the question with "Brissett just isn't good enough to fill in" to which I said, "we are so lucky to have a top tier back up already in house, it could be so much worse and it might be surprisingly good in the end."  I think the only place Jacoby might not be up to muster is processing speed of trouble spots.  Luck was a great improviser and Jacoby seems fairly vanilla.  But if the right plays are called, the right preparation is done, he can physically match :Luck.  His arm is slightly stronger and he's big and tough and healthy.  He may not be as quick, but we don't want him running anyway unless it is wide open.  Hopefully he learned last year from Luck to get down and get rid of the ball, something it took Luck sitting out a season to learn.  

I think things could be so much worse.  I figure Brissett is in the 15-22 range of QB's in the league.  If Ballard and Reich have built the way they say they are building, that might be enough to win.  The Colts only win with strong defense and a run game, whether it was Manning or Harbaugh or Luck (which is why Luck's era had no real chance of making it all the way until this year). 

Which would shock you more?  We finish 5-11 this year or we play in and win a playoff game?  I'd be more shocked if we lost 11 games.  And if Brissett pulled that off, he's held up to Luck's productivity for any given season but one.  And if he keeps his INTs down, his likely smaller TD rate won't harm us as much.  

So that makes Rodgers Luck and Big Ben so far that I have seen people on this board compare Brissett to. this keeps getting better and better. lol

4 hours ago, Roger said:

Exactly! We had a "generational" talent that did not win a Super Bowl. Maybe a solid QB with a team around him will do better.  We will have a lot more cap space to build that team.

We had the QB with an incompetent GM who provided a cruddy oline and defense around him that broke him physically and mentally.....

That same 'healthy' QB with this GM would win the Superbowl.

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

We had the QB with an incompetent GM who provided a cruddy oline and defense around him that broke him physically and mentally.....

That same 'healthy' QB with this GM would win the Superbowl.

This is why the issue we are now dealing with puzzles me a little.  With the line we have if i was Luck I would have been like hmm maybe I'm not going to be getting hit so much now i really don't have to be 100% ( yes i know thats not Lucks mentality). 

• Like 1

I'm new to this board but I have an opinion on Chad Kelly.  I have facts to back it up.  Chad won the punt, pass and kick national champ four times.  Sports science rated him as the most accurate passer that they had ever tested.  When he was sixteen he could throw a football further than two thirds of the NFL QB's.

When at Ole Miss, he lived and breathed football.  He had breakfast one morning with the Mannings, Eli and Archie.  As Eli was about to get up from the table to leave, he told Chad that he had a turning point his freshman year.  Eli was arrested for a public intoxication.  He looked at Chad and said that he had to make a decision.  Do I want to be known as a partier or as a good QB and team mate.  Chad was never any trouble at Ole Miss.  He had a support group around him that had his best interest at heart.  He went to Central America on missions to build water systems when it was not mandatory.  When he got to Denver he didn't have the support that he needed.  Most leaders of a team would have seen the issue at Von's party and protected not only Chad but any other members of the team.  It was kind of odd that didn't happen the night, Chad got in trouble.

I have seen every snap he has taken at Ole Miss, Denver and now with the Colts, he is the best QB on the team.  Chad made a statement to the announcers before the Chicago game.  He said his job was to help the other guys on this team put out the best tape possible.  So they have a chance at having a job.  Tells you how far he has come.

So the Colts, can trade and bring in all these other QB's, but Chad in a fair comparison has a stronger arm, more accurate arm (sports science tested), and does not give a flip about his own safety to win a game.  What else do you want.  The Colts organization will support him where others have failed.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Name a team he would have started for

• Like 1

SUPER BOWL !

The final piece to the puzzle.

I LOVE when a plan comes together so seamlessly.

You know for a team with a horse shoe as its logo AND (ironically) a QB "star" named LUCK of all things, we sure havent had an abundance of it the last few years.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

He is suspended two games. This is most likely just for the first two games.

VERY unlikely anyone signs for 2 games.

If Ballard signs Brock, it will be for the season and Kelly will never make it to the PS...he will be gone, and Ballard will have lost the best QB of the 3...Ballard will have played it safe (and stupid) and it will come back to haunt him. The only smart way out is to keep 3 QBs (at least for a while) and let go someone from another position.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Give them 3 years yeah, could make something of Kelly.

Kid has a lot of work to do.  He's got some raw talent but so does every quarterback that's ever made a NFL roster.  It would certainly be one heck of a long shot to think he could be effective this year.

Nonsense!

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

To me it seems like this is the way Ballard does business. He doesn't rush. He gets players in for workouts and several days or weeks or even months later(Inman) when we need them he offers them a contract. 

4 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It might be more of a wait a see on the team’s part until after Saturday 

It doesn’t appear Brock is any hot commodity 

Right.   But if you want him,  don't you want to sign him ASAP, so he's got more time to learn the playbook?    What's the point of eventually signing him and not having him ready to help?   Hey, I'm just thinking out loud....   I don't pretend to understand what's going on here....    it's a different world here...

1 hour ago, stitches said:

To me it seems like this is the way Ballard does business. He doesn't rush. He gets players in for workouts and several days or weeks or even months later(Inman) when we need them he offers them a contract. 

Yeah....    except we need the new back-up right now.  

If we don't believe Walker can be the back-up for week's 1 and 2,  then whoever else we're considering,  we need to sign them.   Give them more time to learn the playbook.    Whether it's BO, or someone else,  it sould seem we have to make a move pretty guickly to protect ourselves for the first two weeks of the season.    It'll be interesting to see what happens come week 3, when CK returns.   Stay with Kelly,  or put him on the PS and go with a newer guy?

1 hour ago, CanuckColt said:

What total nonsense and crap!

just read the board you'll see that JB is the next Aaron Rodgers Big Ben and Luck hybrid. lol hes gonna win the division and take us to the super bowl even tho he wasn't worth a 3rd round pick 4 months ago. haha

7 hours ago, TheCount said:

I'm new to this board but I have an opinion on Chad Kelly.  I have facts to back it up.  Chad won the punt, pass and kick national champ four times.  Sports science rated him as the most accurate passer that they had ever tested.  When he was sixteen he could throw a football further than two thirds of the NFL QB's.

When at Ole Miss, he lived and breathed football.  He had breakfast one morning with the Mannings, Eli and Archie.  As Eli was about to get up from the table to leave, he told Chad that he had a turning point his freshman year.  Eli was arrested for a public intoxication.  He looked at Chad and said that he had to make a decision.  Do I want to be known as a partier or as a good QB and team mate.  Chad was never any trouble at Ole Miss.  He had a support group around him that had his best interest at heart.  He went to Central America on missions to build water systems when it was not mandatory.  When he got to Denver he didn't have the support that he needed.  Most leaders of a team would have seen the issue at Von's party and protected not only Chad but any other members of the team.  It was kind of odd that didn't happen the night, Chad got in trouble.

I have seen every snap he has taken at Ole Miss, Denver and now with the Colts, he is the best QB on the team.  Chad made a statement to the announcers before the Chicago game.  He said his job was to help the other guys on this team put out the best tape possible.  So they have a chance at having a job.  Tells you how far he has come.

So the Colts, can trade and bring in all these other QB's, but Chad in a fair comparison has a stronger arm, more accurate arm (sports science tested), and does not give a flip about his own safety to win a game.  What else do you want.  The Colts organization will support him where others have failed.

I think the kid has talent....... but does a LEADER, really need other people to keep him out of trouble?

The QB is different than ANY other position on the team........  

Ultimately, I hope you are right

Ultimately, I hope the arrogant kid grows up

The skills on the field are undeniable

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah....    except we need the new back-up right now.  

If we don't believe Walker can be the back-up for week's 1 and 2,  then whoever else we're considering,  we need to sign them.   Give them more time to learn the playbook.    Whether it's BO, or someone else,  it sould seem we have to make a move pretty guickly to protect ourselves for the first two weeks of the season.    It'll be interesting to see what happens come week 3, when CK returns.   Stay with Kelly,  or put him on the PS and go with a newer guy?

Agreed NCF, (The terror of negligent posters :) )

The problem is, Brock O, isnt looking for 2 game checks  

I would wing it with Briskett and Walker for 2 games

Kelly should get a roster spot, and be number 2 week 3.

Walker should be cut afterwards

We should grab a QB to develop on the PS, from cuts

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

I would rather wait for cuts and bring someone in. Maybe Ballard can talk to his buddy and bring Garett Gilbert over from Cleveland he's most likely not making their roster.  He looked great against our 1st string defense in pre season. I still like Kelly as the #2 QB though. 

Last I heard is that the Browns are keeping Gilbert on the roster.   

10 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Agreed NCF, (The terror of negligent posters :) )

The problem is, Brock O, isnt looking for 2 game checks  

I would wing it with Briskett and Walker for 2 games

Kelly should get a roster spot, and be number 2 week 3.

Walker should be cut afterwards

We should grab a QB to develop on the PS, from cuts

I tend to agree with you.

10 hours ago, JPFolks said:

That seems very high.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Garrett Gilbert most likely beats out Drew Stanton as I had said in a previous thread making Stanton available (Not to mention Gilbert was Baker Mayfield's idol and big brother figure growing up in Texas, Baker would hitch rides in Gilbert's car where ever he went).

He also played well in the AAF and has looked good in preseason games.  

30 minutes ago, Myles said:

That seems very high.

THATS the $64000 Question

(Can I still use that after the show has been off the air for 25 years?)

If Briskett is 15th we need to build the team around him

If Briskett is 30th we need to develop someone else

Look at the next few games as Brisketts JOB INTERVIEW

Does he have the talent to be a good starter in the NFL...... its really yet to be determined

He has the skills to be "that guy" He appears to have the leadership ability to be "that guy".......

I continue to think he is a very good prospect

However......... the time to dance.... is NOW, for JB

If he doesnt pass the muster.......  (4-5 weeks in), I want to see Chad Kelly get the chance

• Like 4