Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brock Osweiler Visted the colts

I would hope it'd only be for the first 2 games if we do sign him.

I think Kelly's done more than enough on the field to earn the back up spot after his suspension though. Unless there's still off the field questions but by all accounts he's been on his best behavior. On that note, I wonder if Brian Decker has spent some time to evaluating Kelly in that respect. Would be surprised if he hasn't, really.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

Brock Osweiler is a decent backup.

He was one of the first names I specified in the "First 2 games..." thread I started. 

However, I think they end up settling with someone from other teams' cuts, since they are after all playing with a little bit of house money, might as well get someone that fits short and long term instead of just short term.

There are about 70 QBs who will be on NFL rosters at the start of the season. That's 70 QBs we will not be able to have. You need to seriously lower your expectations if you don't think Osweiler is a reasonable player to kick the tires on. No matter who you get, the reality is you will likely be getting something in the range of the 70th best QB in the NFL. You won't get anyone great to be backup for 2 games. 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

There are about 70 QBs who will be on NFL rosters at the start of the season. That's 70 QBs we will not be able to have. You need to seriously lower your expectations if you don't think Osweiler is a reasonable player to kick the tires on. No matter who you get, the reality is you will likely be getting something in the range of the 70th best QB in the NFL. You won't get anyone great to be backup for 2 games. 

Honestly, people need to lower their expectations, period.  That's where we are at the QB position.  Chances of us landing another elite, generational talent any time soon are slim.  We'll be throwing things at the wall until something sticks.  You might see quite a few QBs go through this town in the coming years.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm saying again just off my eye for talent I think Sirriani and Reich could mold Chad Kelly into a real nice NFL QB.  Hopefully JB is the answer, but if not I think the answer could possibly be here already. 

Give them 3 years yeah, could make something of Kelly.

Kid has a lot of work to do.  He's got some raw talent but so does every quarterback that's ever made a NFL roster.  It would certainly be one heck of a long shot to think he could be effective this year.

17 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Give them 3 years yeah, could make something of Kelly.

Kid has a lot of work to do.  He's got some raw talent but so does every quarterback that's ever made a NFL roster.  It would certainly be one heck of a long shot to think he could be effective this year.

false

• Like 1

We don't need any backup QB instead of Kelly (especially not Brock)...and for 2 games we can keep our fingers crossed and play Walker if necessary.

It appears that Ballard's thinking may be bringing in a permanent backup for the year and try to sneak Kelly over to the PS...this would be one of the stupid moves by a GM who is supposed to be pretty smart.

Just put Kelly on the suspended list for 2 games (doesn't count vs. the 53) and then decide what to do after game 3.

2 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

We don't need any backup QB instead of Kelly (especially not Brock)...and for 2 games we can keep our fingers crossed and play Walker if necessary.

It appears that Ballard's thinking may be bringing in a permanent backup for the year and try to sneak Kelly over to the PS...this would be one of the stupid moves by a GM who is supposed to be pretty smart.

Just put Kelly on the suspended list for 2 games (doesn't count vs. the 53) and then decide what to do after game 3.

Walker struggled against 2s and 3s let alone starters and CK is a mystery in the Field and off

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

You know what's crazy to me? People don't want Osweiler, but are okay with Philip Walker... ????

The only reason I may be in that boat is that I don't want this team to be a rotating QB team.   They never do well.  Brissett loses the first game and gets hurt.  Brock wins game 2 but loses games 3 and 4.  (1-3 so far).   They start Kelly.   He wins game 5 and loses game 6 and 7 ( 2-5).  Brissett is back from the injury.  He loses game 8 and doesn't look good.   Thus leaving us on a merry-go-around of our 3 QB's.   We've seen this stuff happen with other teams and I really don't want to be there. 

Just now, Myles said:

The only reason I may be in that boat is that I don't want this team to be a rotating QB team.   They never do well.  Brissett loses the first game and gets hurt.  Brock wins game 2 but loses games 3 and 4.  (1-3 so far).   They start Kelly.   He wins game 5 and loses game 6 and 7 ( 2-5).  Brissett is back from the injury.  He loses game 8 and doesn't look good.   Thus leaving us on a merry-go-around of our 3 QB's.   We've seen this stuff happen with other teams and I really don't want to be there. 

Still could happen if PW is the backup

I know it was Jay Gruden idea to play 4 QBs in Washington last year

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

OK, prove me wrong.  Show me what Kelly proved against grocery baggers and practice squad fodder in a meaningless preseason game that tells you he's NFL ready right now

I'm not one who thinks Kelly should be starting.   I do think he looked polished in his limited time.   Obviously Ballard seen something in him too.   Osweiler didn't look good in his 30 NFL starts.   It would probably be a coin flip who would do better.   Brock has a career rating of 78.   That is not hard to do.  It's a little higher than Manziel and not too much better than Curtis Painter.   

I'm just saying the Brock doesn't have the great numbers to distance himself from Kelly too much.   

12 minutes ago, Myles said:

Agree...…… Agree...…… Agree...…...

• Like 1