Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns have sent request to interview Eberflus

stitches

2 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Browns - "Hello, is this Chris Ballard?  Oh, good.  Congrats on making the playoffs.  This is the Cleveland Browns calling and we'd like to interview Coach Eberflus for our HC position."

Ballard - "NO" - Hangs up phone

Ballard's phone is on permanent forward, all calls go to Josh McDaniel's cell phone, until draft day.

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Don't jinx him!  But seriously, this shouldn't be that surprising.

And don't be surprised when other teams start poaching our best players, too.  We see it happen every year.  Players on really good teams get offers they can't refuse from other teams and leave in free agency.

It's not the end of the world.  Enjoy the success!  :colts:

This is what I wonder with Glow he is a FA and from a very good O line! some team may over pay for him and we could lose him but who knows. If that were to happen I'd hope we draft a T early and bump Smith into his natural position at RG.

2 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Really?  I didn't know that.  So, if we can't decline, then what's the purpose of sending a request?  Kinda like, "this is the IRS...do you want to pay your taxes this year or not?"

I'm not questioning you, I know you know your stuff.

So, it is basically Eberflus's decision to interview or not?

Yes but I don't have a problem with that.  This is these guy's career.  If someone comes along offering a big promotion and millions of dollars, it's really crappy to try to prevent that guy from moving up in his career.  

As much as I hate to loose coordinators, it takes a crappy human being to try to prevent them from moving up in their careers.  

• Like 2

Sources are reporting the Browns are likely to hire an offensive Head Coach...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/31/the-2019-coaching-g-m-carousel/

...Browns: Fired coach Hue Jackson during the season. Will interview interim coach Gregg Williams, offensive coordinator Freddie Kitchens. Reportedly have contacted former Packers coach Mike McCarthy. Have requested permission to interview Colts defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus. Reportedly will interview Saints assistant head coach/tight ends coach Dan Campbell. Sources tell PFT that the Browns are expected to hire an offensive coach who will work closely with and develop quarterback Baker Mayfield...

• Like 1

I would hold no vitriol to either Flus or Sirianni for taking a HC job. All assistants would love the opportunity to become a HC of course.

That being said, I hope Eberflus shows a bit of loyalty to the Colts after they showed him some by sticking with him after McTrashniels backed out. But of course, it's his choice. 

Perhaps we should promote from within.  

Not a super experienced coach but Dave Borgonzi coached the linebackers this year.  Not only did he have Darius Leonard playing like an All-pro in his rookie year, I felt like he got the most of other LBer's like Anthony Walker.  Most of the LB's we've had where late round draft picks/UDFA's/ or castoffs.  But linebacker play didn't feel like it was a liability.

I would say of all the position coaches he seems to have done the most with less.   (Though he's not a defensive coach I would give the OL coach some credit, but unlike LBer's we invested heavily in that position group.)

In a perfect world, we could keep every player, and coach, we think helps our team. This a constant evolving process as time goes on each season. The best you can hope for stability, is to have  good owner, Have a GM that is good, and have a Head coach that manages all the other aspects of your team. As far as the assistant coaches, It's always going to be a revolving door, when you have success. Regardless of what happens if we keep our current philosophy, we have developed this year, we should be fine.    

15 minutes ago, coltsnation said:

What about Steve Wilks or Vance Joseph?

Or Todd Bowles. 

All of those are good possibilities.  Although my concern is those guys might try to implement their own system.  And for the love of God if we abandon this system and try to go back to a 3-4 I will bang my head against a wall.  

10 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Or Todd Bowles. 

All of those are good possibilities.  Although my concern is those guys might try to implement their own system.  And for the love of God if we abandon this system and try to go back to a 3-4 I will bang my head against a wall.  

Ballard wouldn't let that happen. Too much capital has been spent finding personnel that fit a 4-3 scheme.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Derakynn said:

I’d be surprised to see teams go with many defensive coaches, considering the recent success of offensive coaches, and the failure of defensive coaches. If you want a good offensive coach to pair up with and develop your young QB, the only way you are going to keep him is if he is your HC. 

Well, the Browns apparently aren't as set on finding an offensive-minded HC.

My biggest concern is that his replacement would play a straight Tampa-2 instead of Eberflus' modified Tampa-2. The Colts D has struggled at times to get pressure, due to lacking premier edge rushers. Thankfully, Eberflus has not been afraid to change up the scheme strategically. I'm just not a fan of a straight Tampa-2 defense. 

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Perhaps we should promote from within.  

Not a super experienced coach but Dave Borgonzi coached the linebackers this year.  Not only did he have Darius Leonard playing like an All-pro in his rookie year, I felt like he got the most of other LBer's like Anthony Walker.  Most of the LB's we've had where late round draft picks/UDFA's/ or castoffs.  But linebacker play didn't feel like it was a liability.

I would say of all the position coaches he seems to have done the most with less.   (Though he's not a defensive coach I would give the OL coach some credit, but unlike LBer's we invested heavily in that position group.)

Matt was also a linebackers coach I'm sure that our linebackers playing great had alot to do with him 

57 minutes ago, masterlock said:

Well, the Browns apparently aren't as set on finding an offensive-minded HC.

They many interview a lot of people , but in the end I would be shocked if they didn't go with an offensive minded coach.

4 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Whats wrong with who they already have? Browns had a darn good year compared to being a winless team just last year. 

If Gregg Williams didn't carry the baggage he does, he would prob have the job.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2018 at 12:00 PM, Boiler_Colt said:

Can't see it for the Browns. They will almost certainly hire an offensive guy.

On 12/31/2018 at 2:26 PM, 1959Colts said:

Sources are reporting the Browns are likely to hire an offensive Head Coach...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/31/the-2019-coaching-g-m-carousel/

Freddie Kitchens is currently their OC (promoted from RB coach), and getting an HC interview from Dorsey/Browns.

Will he stay on as OC if another offensive minded guy gets the HC nod over him? {say, Adam Gase or Mike McCarthy?  depends upon 'fit and scheme?'}

On 12/31/2018 at 8:48 PM, compuls1v3 said:

I just meant enough to keep him here!!

I'm sure Eberflus got a nice pay raise going from LB coach in Dallas to DC in Indy.  A little performance bump in pay is probably warranted and OK, but is likely not the stumbling block to prevent him from moving on if given the chance (and he feels ready for it) to be an NFL head coach. 

As far as Nick Sirianni, Superman already stated (if you missed it) that unless the request is also for a HC position, the Colts can deny interview requests. Otherwise, he's fair game for interviews/hire as well.

On 12/31/2018 at 10:41 AM, NannyMcafee said:

I don't see him leaving just yet. Not after becoming a first time DC. I don't think anyone would jump to HC as a rookie DC. If I were Eberflus I would see the potential this team has for dynasty. And for someone, anyone to be apart of that including us fans is very fortunate indeed.

That, along with all the new defensive toys he will have this off-season through the draft and free agency I'm sure he is licking his chops at the notion of being the best DC in the league with a shut down defense.

From all reports around the league that I'm seeing is this locker room has something special going on and when that happens you can't just replicate it somewhere else as just a HC.

That's one reason I love Ballard so much, because he understands the importance of his hires, his locker room, his culture which is why were seeing what we are.

Eberflus may leave. But everything suggests otherwise. And who will move their family AGAIN? I doubt Eberflus.

A dynasty is like a puzzle. It takes pieces that fit perfectly for the picture to come together. I get the feeling Eberflus understands puzzles to the highest degree.

Mike Vrabrel literally just did this. 

3 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Read your post. You said that you didn’t think anyone would jump to HC as a rookie DC. Vrabel just did and Eberflus’ stock is high right now. 

You're right, I did. My post was geared towards Eberflus so my apologies. I just don't see it happening but I could be wrong. And if I am then I'm sure Ballard and Riech already have a list.

I believe we have this factor working in our favor. If it's already been mentioned , excuse me as I don't have time to scan all 3 pages.

Here's how I believe this could play out. Teams have to wait until we are out of the playoffs to interview our coaches. If we had a bye , they could do so in the off week. That was the case with the NE OC last year. That said , lets say the Browns have a guy they really like that 2-3 teams have interviewed. Unless they really favored Eberflus , they have a real issue to lock up the available guy before they even interview Eberflus.

3 hours ago, deedub75 said:

Read your post. You said that you didn’t think anyone would jump to HC as a rookie DC. Vrabel just did and Eberflus’ stock is high right now. 

Pagano, Tomlin, Vance Joseph, Steve Wilkes.

If Eberflus gets a chance at the Brown job, he should take it.   He'd be a fool not to.  

However, Cleveland would be fools to offer it to him.   They need an Offensive -minded coach who has some experience.