Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns have sent request to interview Eberflus

stitches

I would hate this 1 season in but I’d have to think there are other candidates out there with a bit more tape and resumè that would be more in line with taking a chance on. How many of those hot coordinators just a few short years ago just got sacked today? Gase, Vance NY Jets coach, all these were hot picks and they died out quick. Not saying Eberflus would flame out but he hasn’t had enough tape time to show a pattern as a DC let alone if he has the make up to manage a whole team. Time will tell though. 

• Like 2

Obviously, I hope he stays and continues developing this defense.  But, this is a business and if he has aspirations to be a head coach, then he has to explore those options.

I have a feeling the Browns want a coach that will compliment Mayfield much in the same way Reich and Luck compliment each other.

Happy for the Browns success this year...just wish they'd ditch those unis and go back to the classic look.

Wow.

The Colts didn't give up a hundred yard rusher all season (I thought Henry might break the streak last night, especially after that 33 yarder). 

They were at or near the top of the league in fewest big plays given up (I think that's kind of arbitrary because we gave up plenty of moderately big plays, but still). They created at least one turnover in all but one game.

About halfway through the season, the defense went from being one of the worst units in the league to one of the best, at least statistically speaking. We gave up 16.4 points/game over the last 10 games.

And we did this mostly with replacement level defensive talent.

I think the defense still has a long way to go, and while it's surprising that Eberflus is getting attention for head coaching positions, I can't say he's not deserving.

Hopefully, for his sake and ours, he doesn't go anywhere near the Browns. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I think this is another big plus for making the playoffs, that coordinators not being immediately available for jobs. Unless they completely fall in love with a coach, teams typically want to fill that position quickly. And would the McDaniels situation be one where other teams say "let's not wait"? 

That being said, most Browns fans I have talked with this morning don't see the franchise going with a defensive coach(and if so, they'll promote their interim HC to permanent). 

I’d be surprised to see teams go with many defensive coaches, considering the recent success of offensive coaches, and the failure of defensive coaches. If you want a good offensive coach to pair up with and develop your young QB, the only way you are going to keep him is if he is your HC. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barry Sears said:

Browns - "Hello, is this Chris Ballard?  Oh, good.  Congrats on making the playoffs.  This is the Cleveland Browns calling and we'd like to interview Coach Eberflus for our HC position."

Ballard - "NO" - Hangs up phone

Lets hope Ballard does this. 

I don't see him leaving just yet. Not after becoming a first time DC. I don't think anyone would jump to HC as a rookie DC. If I were Eberflus I would see the potential this team has for dynasty. And for someone, anyone to be apart of that including us fans is very fortunate indeed.

That, along with all the new defensive toys he will have this off-season through the draft and free agency I'm sure he is licking his chops at the notion of being the best DC in the league with a shut down defense.

From all reports around the league that I'm seeing is this locker room has something special going on and when that happens you can't just replicate it somewhere else as just a HC.

That's one reason I love Ballard so much, because he understands the importance of his hires, his locker room, his culture which is why were seeing what we are.

Eberflus may leave. But everything suggests otherwise. And who will move their family AGAIN? I doubt Eberflus.

A dynasty is like a puzzle. It takes pieces that fit perfectly for the picture to come together. I get the feeling Eberflus understands puzzles to the highest degree.

6 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

I’d be surprised to see teams go with many defensive coaches, considering the recent success of offensive coaches, and the failure of defensive coaches. If you want a good offensive coach to pair up with and develop your young QB, the only way you are going to keep him is if he is your HC. 

Especially when you have a young QB. 

But I think the Browns want to keep Freddie Kitchens if they can, so hiring a defensive minded head coach kind of allows Kitchens to maintain autonomy over the offense.

I still think they want to hire Lincoln Riley.

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Rumor is Bucs want Arians

Arians is still under contract with the Cardinals. The NFL sent out a memo reminding teams that they can't interview him without permission.

3 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Browns - "Hello, is this Chris Ballard?  Oh, good.  Congrats on making the playoffs.  This is the Cleveland Browns calling and we'd like to interview Coach Eberflus for our HC position."

Can't decline him a head coaching interview. There are just rules as to when he can actually interview.

• Like 3

Just now, Superman said:

Can't decline him a head coaching interview. There are just rules as to when he can actually interview.

Really?  I didn't know that.  So, if we can't decline, then what's the purpose of sending a request?  Kinda like, "this is the IRS...do you want to pay your taxes this year or not?"

I'm not questioning you, I know you know your stuff.

So, it is basically Eberflus's decision to interview or not?

14 minutes ago, stitches said:

Seems like they cannot interview him this week because of our involvement in the playoffs:

I say... lets win a shoot out. 

True. Also, if the Colts win Saturday, the Browns can only interview Eberflus in Indy after that game. The Colts can also dictate which day the interview would take place.

W in Houston Colts!

P.S. - is Eberflus even prepared for an interview?  What does he know about the Browns personnel?  Weak spots, strengths, schemes, cap situation, etc...

14 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

NFL, Chris, expect a fine very soon on your desk via Fed Ex shortly ...

{ j/k  Ballard wouldn't even entertain saying no }

"Any assistant coach working for a non-playoff team can now interview freely for a head-coaching position. For playoff teams, NFL rules limit the amount and variety of contact prospective employers can have with those coaches."

But Colts can't say no if it is for a HC position.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Superman said:

Wow.

The Colts didn't give up a hundred yard rusher all season (I thought Henry might break the streak last night, especially after that 33 yarder). 

They were at or near the top of the league in fewest big plays given up (I think that's kind of arbitrary because we gave up plenty of moderately big plays, but still). They created at least one turnover in all but one game.

About halfway through the season, the defense went from being one of the worst units in the league to one of the best, at least statistically speaking. We gave up 16.4 points/game over the last 10 games.

And we did this mostly with replacement level defensive talent.

I think the defense still has a long way to go, and while it's surprising that Eberflus is getting attention for head coaching positions, I can't say he's not deserving.

Hopefully, for his sake and ours, he doesn't go anywhere near the Browns. 

Question is who takes his place if he leaves? And will there be an expected drop off in performance if he does? 

I have a lot of thoughts on this, but in the end, I doubt he gets a job.  

This defense? When they were #31, they weren't that bad.  They provided a lot of turnovers the offense didn't take advantage of.  Now that they're top-10,  I'm not sure they're that good.  We've had many favorable matchups with QBs and opposing offenses.  

The D has improved, though, and most of that improvement came when Eberflus got aggressive.

9 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Really?  I didn't know that.  So, if we can't decline, then what's the purpose of sending a request?  Kinda like, "this is the IRS...do you want to pay your taxes this year or not?"

Procedure (especially with playoff teams)

I'm not questioning you, I know you know your stuff.

So, it is basically Eberflus's decision to interview or not?

Yes, but within constraints of NFL rules.