Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What upgrades do we need to be a contender?

Trace Pyott

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

To be a playoff contender, we just need an extra pass rusher and/or DL in the middle to finish games and take care of things in the division.

To be a SB contender, we need first a dominant 3-tech, a talented WR2 across TY, a very good man coverage corner, an additional pass rusher across Turay, and a stellar safety added on defense. Last of all, I expect Eberflus to show some flexibility to mix and match man and zone coverage in the future once we get those groceries, only time will tell.

Would you take Landon collins for a 3rd? Hes only 24 would love him next to Hooker 

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Would you take Landon collins for a 3rd? Hes only 24 would love him next to Hooker 

Absolutely. His nose for the ball and a not so deep safety class would make it worth it, IMO. The safeties in this scheme probably are more important, if not as important as the CBs. However, I do not see the Giants abandoning young rookie class talent that fast if they are anywhere close to productive. 

Eli Apple was a problem, ability and locker room wise, IMO, and had not lived up to his billing. Damon Harrison was a burdensome contract. Landon Collins is neither.

Just now, chad72 said:

Absolutely. His nose for the ball and a not so deep safety class would make it worth it, IMO. The safeties in this scheme probably are more important, if not as important as the CBs. 

Yeah I'd love to have him rumors are he could be traded for a 2nd or 3rd I'd love to get him for a 3rd. But is he a FA after this year?

Refocusing on what it will take to get the Colts to an elite status:

1. Draft, in the first five picks, the following, starting with.....

a) a pass rushing DT. This would be the  key addition to the team.... my number one goal. Next, wherever BPA falls: 

b) a WR2. Got to pay the piper to grab a talented young pass catcher. A huge need.

c) a CB.

d) an OT

e) a DE.

I'd look for the best SS I could find in FA and make that a priority. Geathers is banged up and seemingly another neck injury away from retirement. I'd look for another LB and WR in FA as well. And I'd look for a short yardage-great blocking-pass catching RB to complement our current young group and take Turbin's spot. 

These additions could really bolster a very young team that is still learning. 

As I said in the other thread, I do not get the Smith talk.  The Colts wanted Smith to play tackle in preseason.  They announced he was moving to tackle in preseason.  When Slauson went down, they could have moved him back to guard, but didn't.  It seems pretty obvious to me that someone wants him at tackle, and for good reason.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

I'd like to get the top receiver and defensive lineman available in free agency, then go for a defensive tackle, outside linebacker and cornerback in the first two rounds of the draft.

The free agency market honestly isn't anything special for either of those 2 position groups.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/defensive-line/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

The free agency market honestly isn't anything special for either of those 2 position groups.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/defensive-line/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/

I love the D-Line talent in the coming draft. It might be a historic draft on DL. It's very possible you might be getting first round DL talent well into the second round this year. I also like the WR talent in the draft... there are some very interesting prospects I would love to see on the Colts. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

I love the D-Line talent in the coming draft. It might be a historic draft on DL. It's very possible you might be getting first round DL talent well into the second round this year. I also like the WR talent in the draft... there are some very interesting prospects I would love to see on the Colts. 

I agree with that. The best free agents this offseason will be Le'Veon Bell & Jadeveon Clowney. I dont' see the Texans letting Clowney hit the market, & at this point I'm good with passing on Bell.

4 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I agree with that. The best free agents this offseason will be Le'Veon Bell & Jadeveon Clowney. I dont' see the Texans letting Clowney hit the market, & at this point I'm good with passing on Bell.

Is Fowler a FA? Would you have interest in him if you are Ballard? I would also max out Lawrence from Dallas if they cannot get a deal done. 

Every one of you have it wrong.  We need to draft a new pass defense scheme.  Or a better way of hiding it.  All our problem in pass defense isn't on the CB's...It's because they are not in any position to make plays on the ball,..and that's 95% scheme.

Another LB'er (though i like walker), CB, and Pass rusher would be nice.  

I'm not 100% sold on needing another WR yet.  Last couple weeks very few drops...very efficient passing game.  TE's get most of the targets because they are so much of a mismatch...can't blame that on WR's.  And we have WR's on P.S> and IR who've yet to be given a chance to bloom.

I could go with or without another o-lineman.  The more the merrier obviously,..but i don't think it is a need anymore.

Basicly 3-4 more 'good' players on defense (not excellent or great..just good) and better pass defense scheming, and we're a real contender.

What do we need to become contenders?  First, what is a contender in 2018, 2019?  If you have to beat the Patriots, Chiefs or Rams in the playoffs, how do you do it?  With the rules being what they currently are, you're gonna have to win a shootout.  You're gonna have to outscore them.  Look at the Pats/Chiefs game from a few weeks ago.  Look at the last two Super Bowls the Pats have played.   Were they bludgeoning people with Ty Law and Rodney Harrison?  No, the games were two crazy shootouts.  Look at the Chiefs yesterday.  The Broncos have Von Miller and Chubb, yet the Chiefs dropped 30 fairly easily.

We could build the greatest D-line, have elite pass rushers, yet the Patriots and Chiefs would still go through our defense all day.  We know the Pats are that machine-like, and it appears the Chiefs are getting there as well.  You gotta get Luck reliable, high quality receiving options to have a chance against the elite teams.  

I suppose I would sum it up like this: you need a well balanced team to make the playoffs, but once you get there, you better be prepared to shoot it out.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Is Fowler a FA? Would you have interest in him if you are Ballard? I would also max out Lawrence from Dallas if they cannot get a deal done. 

If I were Ballard & had legit interest in Fowler, I'd probably try to trade for him instead of waiting for the offseason. He'd make an immediate impact, & is still on his rookie deal. I don't see the Cowboys letting Lawrence hit the market though.

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I respectfully disagree

A CB cant stay with a WR for as long as we expect without a pass rush.

We had little yesterday

I agree that we dont have anyone that is outstanding at CB, but this TYPE of defense (Cover 2 variant)  needs playmakers at WSLB (Leonard), SS(Open), FS (Hooker), 3 Tech (Open), DE (Open)

We are short 3-4 playmakers, to make this defense what it needs to be

If I were to rank needs (on defense)

1) 3 tech

2) DE

3) SS

4) THEN CB

I totally agree with you regarding what the Cover 2 is built on.  You don't need shutdown corners in this defense.  You need corners that can make a tackle on their own without help from anybody else.  And they don't need to be high profile, high expense players (see Ronde Barber).

From my perspective, I felt that the CB position has been the least attended to in our team building process.  We built our offensive line (mostly).  We drafted linebackers.  We attempted to address the WR's.  And the plan for the DL was to combine young guys (Turay, Lewis, Ridgeway, and originally Basham) with established veterans (Sheard, Woods, Hunt, Autry), and compete in refreshed waves.  It's had mixed results.  Lots more sacks, but not much consistent pressure.  At least we've put draft picks into it!

But our DB, in general are mostly free agents like Desir, Moore, and Milton.  And our drafted players (Wilson and Hairston) don't stand out that much.  And, thus, we should address this part of our team.  That's why I put CB first.

I will also agree with you in this:  defensive line may be the strength of this upcoming draft.  More than any other position.  And it would be foolish for us to blindly pursue a CB when the better players are to be found on the DL.  I would be very pleased if we got a top flight DT3 with our first pick instead of a CB.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smittywerb said:

RTonce Smith is moved to his natural position.

WR2: need someone to take pressure off TY

WR3: Could use a solid slot receiver

Pass Rushers:  I'll take 2 please.

CB:  We need a starting and second CB badly.  I think Desir is ok to play nickel.

SS:  Don't have much faith in geathers and we need to get younger there

2nd LB:  Someone to start opposite of maniac

Rotational Depth:  always good to have backups, especially with the injury bug biting us every year.

it's been reported the Giants would move Collins for a 2nd rounder, Give the JEts 2nd rounder for Collins and then trade Geathers somewhere for a pick

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I totally agree with you regarding what the Cover 2 is built on.  You don't need shutdown corners in this defense.  You need corners that can make a tackle on their own without help from anybody else.  And they don't need to be high profile, high expense players (see Ronde Barber).

From my perspective, I felt that the CB position has been the least attended to in our team building process.  We built our offensive line (mostly).  We drafted linebackers.  We attempted to address the WR's.  And the plan for the DL was to combine young guys (Turay, Lewis, Ridgeway, and originally Basham) with established veterans (Sheard, Woods, Hunt, Autry), and compete in refreshed waves.  It's had mixed results.  Lots more sacks, but not much consistent pressure.  At least we've put draft picks into it!

But our DB, in general are mostly free agents like Desir, Moore, and Milton.  And our drafted players (Wilson and Hairston) don't stand out that much.  And, thus, we should address this part of our team.  That's why I put CB first.

I will also agree with you in this:  defensive line may be the strength of this upcoming draft.  More than any other position.  And it would be foolish for us to blindly pursue a CB when the better players are to be found on the DL.  I would be very pleased if we got a top flight DT3 with our first pick instead of a CB.

Some of this comes with so many needs, and only a few picks to get them in

I believe that you may see the front office spend a BIT more (but...not a lot) on FA

A CB that can tackle, and cover press duty, not cover the whole field is what is needed

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

Draft LSU Corner Greedy Williams. I think he can be better than Jalen Ramsey or Patrick Peterson 

I like greedy except he's so slight, he can cover but can he come up and hit?  Maybe...I'm looking forward to the Alabama game.

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

But a pass rusher can be negated with 2 and 3 step drops, and we need that CB/safety who can give the pass rusher the time in the first couple of seconds to take away those immediate reads. Teams do scheme max. protect schemes to negate dominant DL and DEs, so the secondary can help them out in those first few precious 2-3 seconds, IMO. 

The offenses ARE doing more 2-3 step drops

We agree on that point

The BEST approach is to STILL get a pass rush with a penetrating 3 tech against the quick release.

If a CB can keep the action in front of them, and ability to break on the ball, AND TACKLE when needed.

Thats when this defense becomes successful  

Carr had ALL DAY a few plays to throw the ball........   Thats on the DL

If we are to believe that the O-Line / Mack are improving to an above average level -- and we should get a better feel for that when they start back after the Bye....

If I were GM, I'd look to use my 3 - 1st /2nd picks next year to take (in no particular order) -- CB, WR and Pass rush DE.  I think most of the picks next year will be on D -- other than 1 WR and perhaps an O-Lineman if one they like is there in Rd 3/4.

I'd also look to actually spend some of that $100M in cap room -- perhaps on a CB to start as well a WR to pair with Hilton and the guy we just drafted.  

You can't do it all through the draft....eventually you have to shop in the high value aisle of FA and hope you hit with a stud contract that works out.  This team can't wait for 2 or 3 more drafts as it is will eventually put you on the wrong side of Luck's (who turns 30 next Sept) career path.

3 hours ago, #12. said:

As I said in the other thread, I do not get the Smith talk.  The Colts wanted Smith to play tackle in preseason.  They announced he was moving to tackle in preseason.  When Slauson went down, they could have moved him back to guard, but didn't.  It seems pretty obvious to me that someone wants him at tackle, and for good reason.

I think it's a bit misleading saying they wanted him at tackle in the preseason.  They tried him at tackle in the preseason for the same reason he is playing now at RT... because they did not have enough bodies at RT. 

He has done well there in the regular season and CB got lucky that he has been able to play that position.  That being said, he has also not faced any real speed rushers yet and I think the "his natural position is guard" contingent on the forum may be proven correct when he faces a very good speed rusher.

A contender when? Next year? 

If so , we need a lot  , and we need the kids to develop in a hurry. Fact is , we won't have conclusive evidence on how some of recent picks fit into our long term vision for at least another season.

QB- We're set. But we will need a competent backup. Brissett most likely won't be here next season.
RB- I think we're good , but a short yard guy with good pass pro would definitely help. 
WR- T.Y and Cain are probably the only long term pieces. Could definitely use a possession receiver with some size and a slot guy. Maybe Fountain can eventually help , but who knows.
TE- We're good
LT- good
LG- good
C- good
RG- good
RT- depending on what the plan is with Smith , we need a player here. One of our first 3 picks could definitely be used. 

The O-line as a whole could do with some depth as well , it never hurts. I'm liking Glowinski, though. 

RE- ?... Turay needs to develop. We'll see. Sheard isn't going to be here long , either. 

UT- I like Jihad Ward , but he's a rotation guy for now. And unfortunately we don't get to see him develop the rest of the season to give us a better idea. Apparently Tyquan Lewis might be used here , but I think that's probably for obvious passing downs. Either way, it's a huge hole , imo.

NT- I like Woods , but he's not a long term answer. Stewart and Ridgeway haven't shown a ton either. I think it needs to be addressed. 

LE- Hunt is a stop gap , and we still need to see Tyquan Lewis. Not sure. Maybe we'll have a better idea at the end of the season. Muhammad looks ok in flashes. Question mark for now.

SLB- Goode is a stop gap and we're not using a SAM enough to really consider it a massive need. Adams and Franklin have been ok. We'll see what happens. Could definitely be addressed , but I don't consider it vital , atm.

MLB- Walker has looked fairly good overall. Not sure he's a for certain long term answer. We'll see. Could definitely see Ballard looking for an upgrade if Walker stagnates/struggles more this season.

WLB- Maniac

CB- Wilson needs to show a lot more in the second half of the season for me to not consider this a need. I'm willing to give him time (as you should with all CB's) , but I need to see it . Question mark for now , but leaning towards need. 

FS- Hooker

SS- Not a fan of Geathers at all , and Mitchell is merely another stop-gap. I consider this position a huge need. 

CB- Moore , Hairston, Desir..... I dunno. They all seem like nickel/depth guys to me. I consider this another huge need. 

9 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

First of all let me say I am really starting to see that Ballard and Reich have got this team heading in the right direction. I really like Reich and haven’t been this happy with our coaching since the dungy days.  The efficiency of our offense lately has been a thing of beauty and luck is looking like the guy he was advertised to be coming out of college and he was supposed to have an off year being so rusty. He’s putting up manning numbers right now. I also like how we are getting our young running backs and receivers more experience. Anyways, I think if we pick up at least one or two really good players in free agency (not depth guys but real playmakers, and have a draft 75% as good as last years we will be a team no one and I mean no one will want to face. If we can get maybe a good CB in free agency and draft a superstar wide receiver to bring the pressure of TY  in the first or second or a really good pass rusher I think we will be looking pretty. I’m happy with the o line, but maybe one of our second round picks can go for another tackle. What positions  do you guys think we need to target in free agency and draft?  

Well, definitely need to draft a top tier WR.

39 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

A major leader on defense, to define our defense, Whether it's a stud rusher or a Bob sanders type back, just someone who will jack up our defense when we need them to perform. and obviously run stoppers. 

Leonard fits that bill

• Like 1

the league is quickly turning towards offense because of the rules.  im not sure you can even build a defense to stop teams like the rams or patriots, you have to beat them in shootouts 

you need the defense to get a turnover or two and hope you get a score out of it

The Colts are in the midst of their rebuilding, and in the middle of the season, so i find it difficult to judge our needs right now. Of course, I can list the position of needs, but it can change quickly, depending on how our young guys develop. I don't even know where to put guys like Ebron for example. He was an underarchiver in Detroit, and here quickly became a valuable asset. Will he keep this level, or will he regress? I don't know yet. Not to mention, that for example an injury can largely change the outlook of any position. Darius Leonard is a DROY aspirant who I think is a possible building block of the future defense. But let me remind everyone, that Henry Anderson was also a DROY aspirant in his rookie season around this exact time. Then, he tore his ACL, missed the remaining season, then he was in kinda recovering mode in his sophomore season, then, when, he seemed to get back on track again, he broke his throat in a freak accident. And now, he is a Jet, got traded by Ballard for a 5th or something like that. So even guys like Darius Leonard are not lock yet. Or ever. If any of Castonzo, Hilton, Leonard, etc. injures himself badly (let's quickly pray that none of them will, but if), then the entire look of the roster might change in a heartbeat.

Anyway, right now, if we could jump in time to next march and/or next april, I'd like to see:

- A new, stud defensive interior. This would probably be my first choice from the draft, considering the quality of the upcoming DL class. If not from the draft, then a guy like David Irving, who, I think the Cowboys won't be able to resign.

- A lengthy, fast, physical corner, who can play both zone and man. This won't happen without spending another high pick (early round 2 for example), or signing a pricey FA (havent checked yet who will be available).

- Another pass rusher. Turay is a work in progress, we don't know yet how he develops, and Sheard is getting older, and he is only good, but not elite. The Colts need better. (They won't get an elite pass rusher from FA, Ballard won't give up a 1st rounder or similar trading for one, so I'd take someone in the 3-4th rounds and give him a try).

- Another CB, with similar traits than above, but from a lower basket, as a developmental project.

- And I can imagine to like another RB (Mack is injury prone, I like what the Pats do with their RB-s in recent years, they always have at least 4 serviceable guys), an Edelman-like slot receiver, a safety, a tackle to groom behind Castonzo/Smith/whoever, etc.

Regarding free agency, I have no order of preference of what position Ballard should focus on, where should he spend his money, etc. Follow what the market dictates, and bring out the best of it, by not overspending right in the first year ... or call it second, if you wish. I call it first, because 2019 will be the first year when FA will/should impactfully kick in. The point is, I don't want Ballard to spend all the money in one offseason. Do it wisely, don't rush it, take what the market gives.

Finally, there is one thing I DO NOT want to see. I am sure it won't happen, so it doesn't matter, but I write it down anyway: I do NOT want to see a top WR pick or a top FA WR signing. Not because a Golden Tate would not be an upgrade. It would. But I think the #2 WR position is the easiest spot on the Colts roster right now to hide/mask it's weaknesses. Reich's system can take advantage of a good #2 WR, but does not rely heavily on it. It does not need, that the RZ target, move the chain guy must be a WR. It can be a TE, or 2 TE's, or RB, or a slot guy, etc. So it's maskable, and the Colts already have enough targets, especially in the RZ. So, if they pick a WR, I'd rather want a slot WR, a better version of Grant/Inman. If one of Grant or Inman could somehow learn the system and become the Colts own Edelman, that would be the best case scenario of course. Remember, the "Edelman" is not a great talent, but a perfect fit in the system. A guy who knows his QB and embraced the system like it flows in his vains. So it's a teaching/learning task rather than finding an exceptional talent. And this guy won't cost a fortune neither. Regarding the #2 WR, postpone it. See where these folks - Cain/Pascal/Rogers/whoever - will go, and deal with it in 2020 if necessary.

11 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Because that isn’t his natural position. As good as he’s been there, what if he’s better at guard?

So Smith is balling at RT and the other guard is performing well.  I am confused as to why u would mess with that.  Basically your line is fixed.  Now u go out get a rookie RT????? Smith mayb a guard but RTs take more draft capital and u  have him already  in Smith and it only cost u a 2nd round pick last year.  

12 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

First of all let me say I am really starting to see that Ballard and Reich have got this team heading in the right direction. I really like Reich and haven’t been this happy with our coaching since the dungy days.  The efficiency of our offense lately has been a thing of beauty and luck is looking like the guy he was advertised to be coming out of college and he was supposed to have an off year being so rusty. He’s putting up manning numbers right now. I also like how we are getting our young running backs and receivers more experience. Anyways, I think if we pick up at least one or two really good players in free agency (not depth guys but real playmakers, and have a draft 75% as good as last years we will be a team no one and I mean no one will want to face. If we can get maybe a good CB in free agency and draft a superstar wide receiver to bring the pressure of TY  in the first or second or a really good pass rusher I think we will be looking pretty. I’m happy with the o line, but maybe one of our second round picks can go for another tackle. What positions  do you guys think we need to target in free agency and draft?  

Defense, defense, and more defense everywhere.   Every level with emphasis on the line and secondary. 

Keep reminding yourself, Ballard wants 10 quality DL, 8 on game day.  And that the secondary is the least important part of this defense.  So those of you wanting Greedy or Baker are not listening to Ballard.

On offense.... more O-line help and playmakers.   Wide receivers and another running back. 

One more big off-season to go!

• Like 1