Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What upgrades do we need to be a contender?

Trace Pyott

The offense is scoring 30 something points a game.  It needs a little tweeking like maybe a tall vertical receiver,which we may have in Cain.  Our backs r coming along and we mayb rich at TE.   The offensive line looks to b fixed.  The recievers r starting to catch and they have some talent. Now the D. We need at least one starting D tackle and a D end.   I wouldn't b surprised if Ballard used first 3 picks on The D line.  The corners need to b addressed.  I also think we need a SS.  Geathers is not the answer.  He is always hurt and that is a pain for the coaches to deal with every week. We could c 5 New starters on D next year.

21 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

"IF" Tyquan Lewis is activated and "IF" he is turned out to be on the level of Leonard as a D lineman, would the Colts needs change?

Not “change”...   just more.   Much more.  

Remember, Ballard wants 10 quality DL.  8 for game day.   So Lewis alone doesn’t cover that.   Ballard has talked about DL coming in “waves”.   That’s his word.   He’s trying to build a defense that can win games, not just keep us in games.   

And we need playmakers in the secondary...   so we need much more help on that side of the ball.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Remember, Ballard wants 10 quality DL.  8 for game day.   So Lewis alone doesn’t cover that.   Ballard has talked about DL coming in “waves”.   That’s his word.   He’s trying to build a defense that can win games, not just keep us in games.   

And we need playmakers in the secondary...   so we need much more help on that side of the ball.

I think our LBs less Leonard is as bad as our DBs. We need LBS and DBs worst than DL but need all three bad.

To answer your question...lots. Offense has been looking better and better...but it could be even better. So a couple more playmakers for Luck would be good. 

Defense is a different story.  Need a few DL players...upgrades and depth. Need better CBs, a S (or two for depth) and a MIKE to pair with Leonard.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:23 PM, John Waylon said:

Because that isn’t his natural position. As good as he’s been there, what if he’s better at guard?

But when you have Glowinski at RG (currently the #5 rated G on PFF) why would we upset the growth for the sake of moving Braden to an original plan. Penicillin was discovered by accident too. Go with what works, Braden at RT works.

• Like 1

If Smith isn't the answer at OT, we need to find one this spring.  That's the highest priority if Smith can't lock down that spot well.

Need secondary help.  I don't even care if we move on from Hooker, but no reason to do that whilst still on the rookie contract.

Need pass rush.

All of these positions will soak up high draft picks.

Need a WR who can catch.  Might be able to find one in the mid rounds.  But, we'll need to replace TY fairly soon.

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Totally agree.

I remember the Seahawks' insane depth at DL during their 2013 SB run. 6 or 7 in that 4-man front rotation could start on any team in the league, plus the legion of boom with 2 stellar safeties in Chancellor and Earl Thomas, Sherman and Maxwell for man CBs outside, and best slot CB in the league in Walter Thurmond III, perfect storm with ALL of them healthy, not to mention Beast Mode and that dominant OL.

Same with the Broncos during their 2015 run - 1-gap rushers from DE in Malik Jackson, Derek Wolfe, nose tackle depth (I forget who they had), pass rushing LBs in Ware and Miller, safeties in T.J.Ward and Darius Stewart still playing at a high level, Trevathan in pass coverage, and not to mention 3 man CBs in Talib, Harris and Roby. Not a co-incidence they gave up 16, 18 and 10 points during their SB run, just like the Seahawks gave up 15, 17 and 8, both 2013 Seahawks and 2015 Broncos historically Top 5 Ds based on numbers.

That happens via great drafting and when you are close to being a SB contender, you get those free agents sometimes to put you over the hump. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

If Smith isn't the answer at OT, we need to find one this spring.  That's the highest priority if Smith can't lock down that spot well.

Need secondary help.  I don't even care if we move on from Hooker, but no reason to do that whilst still on the rookie contract.

Need pass rush.

All of these positions will soak up high draft picks.

Need a WR who can catch.  Might be able to find one in the mid rounds.  But, we'll need to replace TY fairly soon.

Why would they move on from hooker? There isn't a scenario they would do that

12 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

hes been saying that since hooker got here, though he is roughly a top 10 safety in the league 

i wouldnt be mad if they changed the scheme to get him more involved though 

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

hes been saying that since hooker got here, though he is roughly a top 10 safety in the league 

i wouldnt be mad if they changed the scheme to get him more involved though 

i think hooker is still getting back to full strength from last year's surgery (at least i hope so).  he could get to an elite level (if all of his ailments completely heal)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Under his rookie contract, I wouldn't either.  The fact a #1 was invested on potential, complicates things. 

But based upon his availability and production, he's done nothing to say that an upgrade is out of the question.  

So at this point, only some other team offering a high round pick would be the scenario.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Under his rookie contract, I wouldn't either.  The fact a #1 was invested on potential, complicates things. 

But based upon his availability and production, he's done nothing to say that an upgrade is out of the question.  

So at this point, only some other team offering a high round pick would be the scenario.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/malik-hooker/11770

hes actually pretty good, and his absence was glaring on sunday.  injuries are a legit concern 

On 10/29/2018 at 10:03 AM, Aaron86 said:

This line has been shuffled so muchin the past I don't get why now that it works we should move him. 

I agree, right now stick with what is working.  But if/when it begins not to, that's something that has to be explored.

6 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

But when you have Glowinski at RG (currently the #5 rated G on PFF) why would we upset the growth for the sake of moving Braden to an original plan. Penicillin was discovered by accident too. Go with what works, Braden at RT works.

Agree. If Glowinksi is the better G (which appears to be the case right now)...then Smith has to find another position. If he can't make it there...then he's a backup waiting for a chance.

There's no rule that says a 4th round G can't be better than a 2nd round G...or that a 2nd round G gets to automatically start at his position.

I know I am praying that Glowinski is the real deal. Colts can just re-sign him to a reasonable deal and not have to worry about investing in the RG position again.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

I don't know if Hooker needs an upgrade...so much as he needs a better partner at S. I keep saying it...but this defense needs 3 starting-caliber Ss...so they can play big nickel. And two of those should be top-tier so that they can fit any defense and give this team an identity in the secondary (because that isn't going to come from the CBs). And then they also need another depth S who can start in case of injuries to one of the other three. I don't think this team is close to having that group (as we saw on Sunday). 

However, Hooker can be one of those top-tier guys...but he needs talent around him as well. Landon Collins should be a priority if he makes it to FA. And then I would also have no issue with using a couple of day 4 draft picks on Ss with upside...or signing another one for cheap in FA.

Just now, DougDew said:

When the defense dominates against Derek Anderson but struggles against Derek Carr, we point to the absence of the FS as being the difference?  Not me.

i questioned taking hooker with that pick but hes actually been good this year.  it doesnt show up on the stat sheet but no one likes throwing at him 

part of the problem was we didnt really have a FS in that game

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

I don't know if Hooker needs an upgrade...so much as he needs a better partner at S. I keep saying it...but this defense needs 3 starting-caliber Ss...so they can play big nickel. And two of those should be top-tier so that they can fit any defense and give this team an identity in the secondary (because that isn't going to come from the CBs). And then they also need another depth S who can start in case of injuries to one of the other three. I don't think this team is close to having that group (as we saw on Sunday). 

However, Hooker can be one of those top-tier guys...but he needs talent around him as well. Landon Collins should be a priority if he makes it to FA. And then I would also have no issue with using a couple of day 4 draft picks on Ss with upside...or signing another one for cheap in FA.

Hooker is fine.  I'm not looking to move on.  But I don't think he was drafted to be a Tampa 2 safety, his body of work has not been very visible, and if a team wanted to give us a 1st round pick for him, I'd take it. 

This thread is identifying present and future needs.  And if OT, pass rusher ....or TWO DEs...and a replacement for TY is coming soon, we need as many first round picks we can get. 

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i questioned taking hooker with that pick but hes actually been good this year.  it doesnt show up on the stat sheet but no one likes throwing at him 

part of the problem was we didnt really have a FS in that game

Agreed, we had guys not suited for the position having to play the position.  But if we had a good FS, like something you might get in the 2nd or 3rd round, the secondary may have looked different.

My point is, how much talent do you need there, and where do you need other talent.

Never going to happen, so the discussion is kind of meaningless.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

When the defense dominates against Derek Anderson but struggles against Derek Carr, we point to the absence of the FS as being the difference?  Not me.

Carr was well on his way to being a top teir QB. He had been really good since his rookie year. I don't follow so not sure what happened

29 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Carr was well on his way to being a top teir QB. He had been really good since his rookie year. I don't follow so not sure what happened

He's a good QB.  I think its more likely he is having a couple of down years because of the OAK organization effect than his good years being a fluke.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2018 at 12:23 PM, Deadpool said:

it's been reported the Giants would move Collins for a 2nd rounder, Give the JEts 2nd rounder for Collins and then trade Geathers somewhere for a pick

I don't get all the Collins love.  Has anyone watched him play? I know the Giants r probably going into rebuild mode next year. However don't u think it is a red flag that a team wants to trade a supposed top tier (as rated by this forum)  24 year old safety????? People on the forum  want this guy and that guy .  However people r just going by a name or what the guy did in college.  They are not even really basing it on what he  has  done in the NFL.  I would like one person on his forum to tell me why we should trade for Collins.  What r his strengths and weaknesses? How is he in coverage and run support?  Is he a fit for this type of defence? What's he like in the locker room? With their own eyes and not what someone told.  I just get kind of tired when  a name pops up everyone says we should trade or sign a player without doing any home work.  I have an idea. If u want the Colts to sign, trade or draft a player give us your own observations.  U mayb wrong but I prefer that then just simply throwing out names. Hope I made sense!! 

On 10/30/2018 at 5:44 PM, DougDew said:

He's a good QB.  I think its more likely he is having a couple of down years because of the OAK organization effect than his good years being a fluke.

It is kind of funny.  I listen to Lombardi and although he may wrong at times,  he does at least give  sound arguments for what he believes in.  When Carr was signed, he was against it. He thought he was over rated and his passing stats were inflated.  He felt he didn't go down field and preferred to throw short.  He felt the pressure and got rid of the ball.  I wonder if Gruden is starting to think the same way?? 

On 10/29/2018 at 12:03 PM, #12. said:

As I said in the other thread, I do not get the Smith talk.  The Colts wanted Smith to play tackle in preseason.  They announced he was moving to tackle in preseason.  When Slauson went down, they could have moved him back to guard, but didn't.  It seems pretty obvious to me that someone wants him at tackle, and for good reason.

There are 3 reasons that the Colts wanted Smith to play right tackle:

1) Haeg

2) Good

3) Clark

On 10/31/2018 at 11:05 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

I don't get all the Collins love.  Has anyone watched him play? I know the Giants r probably going into rebuild mode next year. However don't u think it is a red flag that a team wants to trade a supposed top tier (as rated by this forum)  24 year old safety????? People on the forum  want this guy and that guy .  However people r just going by a name or what the guy did in college.  They are not even really basing it on what he  has  done in the NFL.  I would like one person on his forum to tell me why we should trade for Collins.  What r his strengths and weaknesses? How is he in coverage and run support?  Is he a fit for this type of defence? What's he like in the locker room? With their own eyes and not what someone told.  I just get kind of tired when  a name pops up everyone says we should trade or sign a player without doing any home work.  I have an idea. If u want the Colts to sign, trade or draft a player give us your own observations.  U mayb wrong but I prefer that then just simply throwing out names. Hope I made sense!! 

well when a guy has a 125 tackles, 100 of them solo tackles, 4 sacks, 5 interceptions a fumble recovery, a defensive TD and 13 passes defended in 2016, i'd say its a step up from what we have with Geathers. but that is just my opinion. last year he was playing with a sprained ankle, before he broke his forearm to end his season. He is not a bad defensive player statistically speaking....... and seeing the colts need help in the secondary, this would not have been a bad choice. especially with Geathers I believe is on his contract year this year.