Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What upgrades do we need to be a contender?

Trace Pyott

First of all let me say I am really starting to see that Ballard and Reich have got this team heading in the right direction. I really like Reich and haven’t been this happy with our coaching since the dungy days.  The efficiency of our offense lately has been a thing of beauty and luck is looking like the guy he was advertised to be coming out of college and he was supposed to have an off year being so rusty. He’s putting up manning numbers right now. I also like how we are getting our young running backs and receivers more experience. Anyways, I think if we pick up at least one or two really good players in free agency (not depth guys but real playmakers, and have a draft 75% as good as last years we will be a team no one and I mean no one will want to face. If we can get maybe a good CB in free agency and draft a superstar wide receiver to bring the pressure of TY  in the first or second or a really good pass rusher I think we will be looking pretty. I’m happy with the o line, but maybe one of our second round picks can go for another tackle. What positions  do you guys think we need to target in free agency and draft?  

RTonce Smith is moved to his natural position.

WR2: need someone to take pressure off TY

WR3: Could use a solid slot receiver

Pass Rushers:  I'll take 2 please.

CB:  We need a starting and second CB badly.  I think Desir is ok to play nickel.

SS:  Don't have much faith in geathers and we need to get younger there

2nd LB:  Someone to start opposite of maniac

Rotational Depth:  always good to have backups, especially with the injury bug biting us every year.

• Like 3

- A power back to pair with Mack. Wilkins isn’t the answer IMO

-Depending on what they do with Smith, either a RG or RT.

-A pass rushing 3-technique

-Everyone in the secondary besides Hooker probably needs to be replaced.

-Edge rusher. Doesn’t Sheard’s Contract expire next year?

-Wide receivers that can catch. Everyone except for Hilton needs to be replaced. 

Pick 1 (round 1)

Best DT/DE available

Pick 2 (round 2)

Best DT/DE available

Pick 3 (round 2)

Best DB available

Pick 4 (Round 3)

Best OL available

Pick 5 (round 4)

Best defensive player available

Pick 6 (round 5)

55 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Keep addressing the lines. Build from lines out. I think now we need to work on that D line a little more. Like a top tier pass rusher or ut/dt. This next draft is loaded with them. Then secondary, wr

Total agree with this. We need a DE for pass rushing and a DT/UT to bring pressure up the middle and collapse the pocket. 

53 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

CB:  We need a starting and second CB badly.  I think Desir is ok to play nickel.

Rotational Depth:  always good to have backups, especially with the injury bug biting us every year.

Why would you move smith? He is balling right now. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Aaron86 said:

Why would you move smith? He is balling right now. 

i think thats a move that depends on who is available and who we pick up.  Hes even better at G but we need him at RT and hes doing great. so do we pick up another guard or a true RT?

• Like 1

The DL is the first thing I think of. Then DB and WR in no particular order. Then OL depth, LB'er depth, and so on.

The DL was stellar to start off the year but recently the pass rush has been lacking. Plus, even though we have some younger guys like Turay, Lewis, and hopefully Ward if he's brought back/healthy, we could use some more young talent there. Guys like Hunt, Sheard, and Woods aren't getting any younger.

32 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Pick 1 (round 1)

Best DT/DE available

Pick 2 (round 2)

Best DT/DE available

Pick 3 (round 2)

Best DB available

Pick 4 (Round 3)

Best OL available

Pick 5 (round 4)

Pick 6 (round 5)

Don't forget, we have two 2nd round picks.  Ours and the Jets.

WR: We need a reliable WR beside TY with decent size, speed, route running and soft hands. Maybe two.

OT: Braden is doing a nice job but we need another quality guy so Smith can move inside to Guard. A Tackle with some potential to be the replacement if Castonzo retires would be nice

DT: We need a dominant and disruptice force there.

DE: A dominant Pass Rusher although Kemoko is doing fine

CB: Maybe two talented CB are needed. Jury on Wilson is still out but even if he gets his % together we could use a decent guy on the other side.

S: Geathers is too injury prone

LB: How about another Darius Leonard besides Darius Leonard?

CB is our biggest need.  We only have Wilson and Hairston as drafted players at the position.  We've got FA's who have game, but nobody that is truly outstanding.

Still need to solidify WR opposite Hilton.  Would like to see what Deon Cain looks like, but would rather not depend on that outcome.

LB is still thin, and I'd like to get a drafted player to hold down the strong side backer.

For all the hype our rebuilt OL has gotten, OT is still unsettled.  Good, Clark, and the rest are not the answer at RT.  Costanzo is in his prime, but he's gonna need to be replaced in 3-4 years.

There's a nice mix of young guys and veteran free agents on the DL.  But there's nobody there that causes fear in the opposing team.

This is Vinatieri's last year.  Will need to figure out bringing in a solid guy, and not just fill the position.

Just now, King Colt said:

Given the Colts improvement this season I'll keep my opinions to my self and let the Colts make the calls. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Keep in mind. all of the stats are all headed in the positive direction.

At 1st I was thinking another WR but Luck is playing so damn good and can make anyone look good. I would say another Pass Rusher and I am sure Ballard will draft a couple. Carr was drinking cups of Coffee back in the pocket yesterday at times.

• Like 1

To be a playoff contender, we just need an extra pass rusher and/or DL in the middle to finish games and take care of things in the division.

To be a SB contender, we need first a dominant 3-tech, a talented WR2 across TY, a very good man coverage corner, an additional pass rusher across Turay, and a stellar safety added on defense. Last of all, I expect Eberflus to show some flexibility to mix and match man and zone coverage in the future once we get those groceries, only time will tell.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

I have zero confidence in Q. Wilson. I think he's more a press man CB. So, CB has to be high priority!

He is press-man. So why not use him that way? Just bc we run a zone doesn't mean we can't employ man coverage. I think Eberflus needs to use the CBs strengths and not try to force a square peg in a round hole. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

CB is our biggest need.  We only have Wilson and Hairston as drafted players at the position.  We've got FA's who have game, but nobody that is truly outstanding.

I respectfully disagree

A CB cant stay with a WR for as long as we expect without a pass rush.

We had little yesterday

I agree that we dont have anyone that is outstanding at CB, but this TYPE of defense (Cover 2 variant)  needs playmakers at WSLB (Leonard), SS(Open), FS (Hooker), 3 Tech (Open), DE (Open)

We are short 3-4 playmakers, to make this defense what it needs to be

If I were to rank needs (on defense)

1) 3 tech

2) DE

3) SS

4) THEN CB

• Like 1

With the strength of the draft being d-line and some good CBs up top we will most likely be exploiting that.

As far as free agency, there arnt many big names that would take us to the next level. Landon Collins would be the biggest name for us that we should pursue. If Roby, Ansah, or Graham makes it to market then they would be nice pickups as well. Maybe Bucannon if he fits the system. Other than that there isnt much to consider as an upgrade. WR free agency dosnt seem to enticing. Most likely another year of sifting through bargain bin. 

I wouldnt blow a whole lot in FA if I were Ballard. I'd say see if the draft goes well, and spend next year. If the next draft is anywhere near as good as the past couple then we have a playoff team that would only need fine tuned to be perenial contenders.

1 hour ago, smittywerb said:

100%

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

To be a playoff contender, we just need an extra pass rusher or DL in the middle to finish games and take care of things in the division.

To be a SB contender, we need first a dominant 3-tech, a talented WR2 across TY, a very good man coverage corner, an additional pass rusher across Turay, and a stellar safety added on defense. Last of all, I expect Eberflus to show some flexibility to mix and match man and zone coverage in the future once we get those groceries, only time will tell.

I totally agree with this ^^^

Draft:

1st - Pass-rushing 3-tech

2nd - Edge rusher

2nd - Wide Receiver

3rd - Cornerback/Safety

4th - Cornerback/Safety

5th, 6th, 7th - BPA

Free Agency:

- Le'veon Bell, RB (If he really wants to come to Indy and settles for a somewhat lower price tag)

- Daryl Williams, RT

- Anthony Barr, LB

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I respectfully disagree

A CB cant stay with a WR for as long as we expect without a pass rush.

We had little yesterday

I agree that we dont have anyone that is outstanding at CB, but this TYPE of defense (Cover 2 variant)  needs playmakers at WSLB (Leonard), SS(Open), FS (Hooker), 3 Tech (Open), DE (Open)

We are short 3-4 playmakers, to make this defense what it needs to be

If I were to rank needs (on defense)

1) 3 tech

2) DE

3) SS

4) THEN CB

But a pass rusher can be negated with 2 and 3 step drops, and we need that CB/safety who can give the pass rusher the time in the first couple of seconds to take away those immediate reads. Teams do scheme max. protect schemes to negate dominant DL and DEs, so the secondary can help them out in those first few precious 2-3 seconds, IMO. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

But a pass rusher can be negated with 2 and 3 step drops, and we need that CB who can give the pass rusher the time in the first couple of seconds to take away those immediate reads. Teams do scheme max. protect schemes to negate dominant DL and DEs, so the secondary can help them out in those first few precious 2-3 seconds, IMO. 

That's true, but it does circle around.   Most times those schemes involve keeping a tight end back to block which also helps the secondary.   

I'd definitely go DE before CB in next years draft.  

I hadn't even looked to see who are free agents will be after this season.  

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

That's true, but it does circle around.   Most times those schemes involve keeping a tight end back to block which also helps the secondary.   

I'd definitely go DE before CB in next years draft.  

I hadn't even looked to see who are free agents will be after this season.  

I think it goes hand-in-hand. When you play elite teams with elite short area quickness guys like Edelman, Antonio Brown etc., you do need the right balance of outside CBs and slot CBs in this passing league to give just enough time to beat those elite QBs with quick releases. 

Legion of Boom worked because of those safeties, and in our scheme, the safeties need to be a bigger focus but you do need the confidence to leave a CB occasionally on an island. We played plenty of zone with Ron Meeks under Dungy but once Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden were drafted, we had the confidence every now and then to let them play man to mix it up.

But yes, DL before secondary, that goes without saying. 

the defense could use a good player or two at all three levels.  the secondary gets shredded when hooker is out, and he cant be everywhere 

offense needs WRs, and maybe back up that can play LT.  clark was ok, but got beat and made mistakes at the worst times 

12 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

He is, but he's out of position.  I want see how he is at his natural position before I make RT his permanent position.

This line has been shuffled so muchin the past I don't get why now that it works we should move him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aaron86 said:

This line has been shuffled so muchin the past I don't get why now that it works we should move him. 

I think we should only move him if right tackle is the better drafting option.   If the guard spot is the better draft choice, Smith stays put.  

• Like 1