Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Malik Hooker... I just don't see it

GusFring

He's oftentimes been a step late this year.  I don't know if it's recognition (rusty from a "mental reps" standpoint) or that he's not 100% physically "there" yet.  Perhaps a bit of both.

Regardless, I'm going to cut the kid plenty of slack as he continues to regain his speed, strength, flexibility, and agility.  He still hasn't played a full season, either. 

That PBU he had in Philly gave me a glimmer of hope that's he back on track.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

Have you seen us getting beat over the top? No you haven't because he's doing his job. You're not going to see him gobbling up picks every game. Lot of football left to play.

True but I expect a first rounder to do more than just their job.  I expect them to make plays. I've seen one in four games. 

8 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

The pass coverage, in general, has been way too loose. Defense allowing too many crucial, easy completions. And Hooker has been mostly invisible.

I think its the corners though.  They've done admirably considering who they are and what was expected of them.  But we need better.  Wilson so far has been an enigma.  We have no REAL #1 CB's on this team right now.  I got no problem with the safeties.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, compuls1v3 said:

True but I expect a first rounder to do more than just their job.  I expect them to make plays. I've seen one in four games. 

Oh jeesh! The man just got back from a torn ACL. It's the NFL you're not going to go off every game. You may go a couple without much action and then 2 or 3 in a row where you ball. The scheme itself is designed to discourage deep throws. That's part of the reason you don't see much. The opposing team looks deep and sees it blanketed and eventually they checkdown to a back or crossing route.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, krunk said:

Oh jeesh! The man just got back from a torn ACL. It's the NFL you're not going to go off every game. You may go a couple without much action and then 2 or 3 in a row where you ball. The scheme itself is designed to discourage deep throws. That's part of the reason you don't see much. The opposing team looks deep and sees it blanketed and eventually they checkdown to a back or crossing route.

Yup. And safety isn’t a playmaking position. The job of a FS is to take away the deep ball and the number 1 receiver when he needs to be doubled. Aside from the one TD, AJ Green was quiet in week 1. Then he scored 4 TDS on the Ravens the next week. Against the Texans, Hopkins didn’t get loose deep. He and Coutee beat the Colts in the middle of the field. That coverage falls on the CBs. The Colts aren’t really getting beat deep. That’s because of Hooker. He quietly takes the deep ball away. 

20 minutes ago, krunk said:

Fair enough.  Hopefully Brady challenges him then.  I just want to see him make some plays!

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yup. And safety isn’t a playmaking position. The job of a FS is to take away the deep ball and the number 1 receiver when he needs to be doubled. Aside from the one TD, AJ Green was quiet in week 1. Then he scored 4 TDS on the Ravens the next week. Against the Texans, Hopkins didn’t get loose deep. He and Coutee beat the Colts in the middle of the field. That coverage falls on the CBs. The Colts aren’t really getting beat deep. That’s because of Hooker. He quietly takes the deep ball away. 

Then hopefully Gronk has a relatively quiet day.  

Hooker is yes doing his job which is why youre not seeing a lot passes going in his area, however when a play is in his direction, im saying to myself "hooker is gonna get that" and then I see hes a second late. Maybe his closing speed isnt there anymore or maybe Hooker isnt trusting his eyes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I think its the corners though.  They've done admirably considering who they are and what was expected of them.  But we need better.  Wilson so far has been an enigma.  We have no REAL #1 CB's on this team right now.  I got no problem with the safeties.

Desir is actually doing a great job 

PFF has him about #13 in the league 

2 hours ago, krunk said:

He has been out of position on a few plays at least 

Seems hesitant at times.....

Should see improvement this season though - its his second new scheme in two years as well 

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Aj Green made Hooker look silly on the TD though 

12 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

The pass to AJ was on Geathers. Hooker almost caught up from the other side of the field. 

Unfortunately it was on Hooker - Aj ran straight in front of him 

But he reacted late as per what the above posters allude to - whether he is still adjusting mentally or doesn't trust his new knee... 

I guess time will tell 

The Colts are one of two teams not to give up a 40 yard completion so far this season, and only 12 of 20 yards or more. Only 5 passing TDs, total. 

The primary job of the free safety is to keep the play in front of him, don't give up big plays down the field. Hooker has done that. He's also contributed to four or five coverage sacks by being in good position (and the Colts are ironically 2nd in the league with 17 sacks). 

Hooker has been fine. Most of the time when it looks like he's a step late, he's already covered an insane amount of ground to even be in the frame (like the Green TD in Week 1). We're turning so many receivers free in the intermediate levels of the field that it's unreasonable to expect any of the safeties to make a play on the ball. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Thanks to all defending Hooker in this thread,  and I'd like to add this....

Hooker has played a grand total of 11 games in his two seasons.    11.    That's it.

And people are complaining they haven't see enough from him.     Dear God.

And he's coming off major knee surgery and back on the early side of his return schedule, which I believe was 9-12 months.       He made 3 interceptions in the 6 games he started last year.

Here's his profile....

https://www.colts.com/team/players-roster/malik-hooker/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Not sure where you learned that?    But this is the first I've heard/read that in 50 years.

You don' think Earl Thomas and Eric Berry are play makers?    Ed Reed?     That's who the Colts hope Hooker becomes.    A playmaker like those guys.

Chris Ballard wants turnovers.   That's why he drafted Hooker.   To make as many interceptions as possible.   I doubt Ballard would agree with you,  and I doubt any GM would agree with you.

Sorry,  not trying to fight with you.    Just wanted to share a different perspective....

3 hours ago, Alex22 said:

Unfortunately it was on Hooker - Aj ran straight in front of him 

But he reacted late as per what the above posters allude to - whether he is still adjusting mentally or doesn't trust his new knee... 

I guess time will tell 

I saw a break down of that play and it showed Geathers was the guy responsible for AJ

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not sure where you learned that?    But this is the first I've heard/read that in 50 years.

You don' think Earl Thomas and Eric Berry are play makers?    Ed Reed?     That's who the Colts hope Hooker becomes.    A playmaker like those guys.

Chris Ballard wants turnovers.   That's why he drafted Hooker.   To make as many interceptions as possible.   I doubt Ballard would agree with you,  and I doubt any GM would agree with you.

Sorry,  not trying to fight with you.    Just wanted to share a different perspective....

Thank you!  Not sure how someone could even think that. It is absolutely a playmaking position 

7 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

so tonight must be troll night huh? well please forgive me for not bringing the cookies and drinks :Cry::wall::troll:

Good forbid someone wants to discuss a Colts player on a Colts forum. He should know that's not allowed around here. Only mindless cheerleading...

Go Colts!!!!!!! Play to win!!!! Keep chopping wood!!! 

• Like 1

Coming off last year’s season ending ACL (& MCL?), assuming he doesn’t suffer a bad injury during the remainder of this year, I suspect we won’t see Hooker playing at our level of expectation until very late in the year, or more likely next year.  Takes time to fully make it back from that sort of injury, generally speaking.  

I’m actually impressed that’s he’s already back out there as a starter.  I mean, has it even been a full year yet since the injury?

• Like 2

I don't see why his "base performance" is based upon a few games into his rookie year.  So far, what he "is" is still undecided, hampered by the fact he's coming off of an ACL.  Time will tell, but I'm sure many will say he was a great player before he got hurt, or woulda been a great player if he didn't get hurt, eventhough that was never determined.

I do not understand the logic of comparing a player to the likes of Ed Reed, Eric Berry and Earl Thomas.  One is a hall of famer and the other two are all-pro type players.  Hooker has played 11 games and coming off a major injury.  I’ve said it in other threads...fans need to curb their expectations from great to good.  There is nothing wrong with a first round pick being a good player and not all time great.  Would it be nice?  Of course, but there are only a handful of great players at each position.  So far I think Hooker is an excellent player and  with Leonard, a critical part of the defense to build around.  A couple more good players and this defense will consistently rank in the top half every year. 

2 hours ago, Ratking said:

Good forbid someone wants to discuss a Colts player on a Colts forum. He should know that's not allowed around here. Only mindless cheerleading...

Go Colts!!!!!!! Play to win!!!! Keep chopping wood!!! 

It would be really helpful if the person wanting to discuss the player actually knew what they were talking about.  Unfortunately, that is not the case this time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You took that comment too black and white. I meant that it’s not a position where you’re supposed to be making highlight reel plays every drive. WR, RB, QB, TE, Edge rusher are play making position where you’re expecting to see your top guys make a play almost 24/7. FS is different. You’re mostly hoping they take away the deep ball. Maybe they pick off an overthrown pass every now and then but they’re not making plays constantly. Their job isn’t to beat their opponent every snap because they rarely have 1-on-1 matchups. They just hold true and hope the QB makes a mistake. As good as Hooker was before his injury, that’s what he did when he had the 4 INTs. QBs made some bad throws and he was in the right place at the right time. Although the INT he got against the Cardinals looked like he baited the QB in. Bottom line is that I’m not saying safety’s can’t be playmakers. Just that their mostly just insurance policy’s. Hooker is fine. If we start getting beat down the field for 60 yards, that’s when it’s time to look at him.