Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Malik Hooker... I just don't see it

GusFring

21 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

You took that comment too black and white. I meant that it’s not a position where you’re supposed to be making highlight reel plays every drive. WR, RB, QB, TE, Edge rusher are play making position where you’re expecting to see your top guys make a play almost 24/7. FS is different. You’re mostly hoping they take away the deep ball. Maybe they pick off an overthrown pass every now and then but they’re not making plays constantly. Their job isn’t to beat their opponent every snap because they rarely have 1-on-1 matchups. They just hold true and hope the QB makes a mistake. As good as Hooker was before his injury, that’s what he did when he had the 4 INTs. QBs made some bad throws and he was in the right place at the right time. Although the INT he got against the Cardinals looked like he baited the QB in. Bottom line is that I’m not saying safety’s can’t be playmakers. Just that their mostly just insurance policy’s. Hooker is fine. If we start getting beat down the field for 60 yards, that’s when it’s time to look at him.

And LT and possibly RT, which keeps the opponents Edge from making highlight reel plays every drive.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Superman said:

The Colts are one of two teams not to give up a 40 yard completion so far this season, and only 12 of 20 yards or more. Only 5 passing TDs, total. 

And that is with the Colt's defense being on the field the longest of any team (35.12 min ave per game)

• Like 1

Now that we're getting consistent pressure, in particular with Turay starting to get a Freeney/Mathis style speed rush off the edge, we should see more nervous throws and more plays made in the secondary.  

That said, the defense has played well enough overall to be 3-1 or 4-0.  Hooker's been fine.

10 hours ago, CR91 said:

Hooker is yes doing his job which is why youre not seeing a lot passes going in his area, however when a play is in his direction, im saying to myself "hooker is gonna get that" and then I see hes a second late. Maybe his closing speed isnt there anymore or maybe Hooker isnt trusting his eyes.

He probably lost a step that he doesn't quite have back yet due to ACL injury.  

This play has been mentioned already in this thread but for anybody that's questioning if he's still got it, I think all you need is this. He's flashing, showing he still has it, and that's fresh off a major injury that a lot of players would possibly not even be back from yet.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ratking said:

Good forbid someone wants to discuss a Colts player on a Colts forum. He should know that's not allowed around here. Only mindless cheerleading...

Go Colts!!!!!!! Play to win!!!! Keep chopping wood!!! 

Well, that is exactly what is going on. The discussion began with a poster "not seeing" Hooker as they saw normal. Quite a few fans explained how their seeing might be off. 

Hooker is a ball hawk with rare range. He's a center field type of Safety - Not someone you put in the box to help stop the run. Malik Hooker isn't going to lead your team in tackles, but he can change the game around on a dime by picking off a pass and bringing it back to the house.

He's still basically a rookie coming off a serious injury. As he continues to develop and Chris Ballard can bring in a solid and consistent pass rushers who can pressure the QB into throwing the ball before he wants to, that's when a guy like Malik Hooker will shine a ton. I just want him to stay healthy and continue getting those mental reps in.

14 hours ago, GusFring said:

Maybe its the system. 

System and Post injury rust. he hasn't played football in almost a year, so he is still shaking off the rust. also his responsibilities in this defense is different then last years. Last year he played single high where the safeties responsibility is to cover any receiver that enters his zone. In the cover 2 defense he is solely responsible for one half of the field. He is still doing his job you just wont see as many INT's as he was on pace for last year since his range is only utilized primarily on one half of the field.

I've seen enough from Hooker's rookie season to not worry about him, at all.

Superman made some really good points about our secondary, he hasn't been making the most plays but he's been quietly doing his job.

Sidebar: I really think our defense is going to be stout by the end of the season. A solid FA and draft can easily turn this team into a contender next year, we just need our players to be healthy.