Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Margus Hunt

Aluckiswolverine

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Ya'll wonder why hunt was kept and Simon was cut....Simon wouldn't fit the scheme

I saw flashes of this from Hunt last year...it is clear he is really improving based on the scheme fit. He is a beast for inside blockers to try to keep him in front. He has long arms and super strong...he keeps those short armed guards at bay and using his speed and strength to slice by them. Love it!

• Like 1

I’m not gonna get too high on our guys yet, I know they are gonna have ups and downs this year and show growing pains but if  he and Leonard are who they appear to be and can keep this up we are starting to put the puzzle pieces together. Just think if we can draft a good pass rusher next year and if you  add all the money we have for free agency we can get a few play makers I think we will have a top 10 defense next year. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Let's ignore that Ballard drafted two busts in a row, Wilson and Basham. I like Ballard just fine, but let's not act like he hasn't made any mistakes

No one is acting like he doesn't make mistakes.  Actually you seem to expect him to hit on all his roster moves and then criticize him when he doesn't.

I'm sure that's easier for you then admitting you have been wrong about, well just about everything you've posted on this forum.

• Like 5

Just now, Coffeedrinker said:

No one said he's beyond criticism but if you don't understand that Ballard knows more about building and NFL roster than you (or anyone else on this forum) then you are delusional.

personally i posted in this thread because i never once thought hunt should be cut

would have kept simon over basham though

9 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

Lets also not forget that Ballard's first draft was before he had been here a year and before he had his scouting staff in place. His first full draft was this year. 

Not just his scouting staff but the traits and skills that the coach and OCs think may a good player at each position have changed.

It is one of the things I did not like from Pagano and his coordinators... they did not seem to have a good grasp on the traits needed for players to excel in their schemes.

32 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

win one game, and ballard is a genius beyond criticism i see

Lose one game and some people wanted him fired like last week so it cuts both ways.  With that said I didn’t say he’s beyond criticism.  I pointed out that two players that he got a lot of criticism for have been bright spots.  Maybe that criticism wasn’t deserved?

12 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

No one is acting like he doesn't make mistakes.  Actually you seem to expect him to hit on all his roster moves and then criticize him when he doesn't.

I'm sure that's easier for you then admitting you have been wrong about, well just about everything you've posted on this forum.

Besides Hines, what have I been wrong about exactly? I was wrong about the defense being bad, only because Leonard is much better than expected. I was 100% correct about both Wilson and Basham being busts, unfortunately. 

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Maybe that criticism wasn’t deserved?

definitely not deserved for keeping hunt on the roster, i only saw a few posts that actually questioned that move though.  i think more people were wondering why keep basham over simon 

i know the scheme fit argument, but simon isnt locked into only being an olb either.  he looked pretty good at DE in the preseason against starters 

23 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Besides Hines, what have I been wrong about exactly? I was wrong about the defense being bad, only because Leonard is much better than expected. I was 100% correct about both Wilson and Basham being busts, unfortunately. 

Since they are both just starting their 2nd seasons and their story is still being written, that makes your 100% bust statement foolish and 100% wrong.  It really is that simple.
 Now say something  else that is _____. wrong

• Like 3

The way Sheard and Hunt are playing Simon would be just a backup. So would Basham. So Ballard has kept cheaper one, not better one (Colts has Turay as a backup as well). BTW, Simon is just good, not great at stoping the run of rushing a passer. It's not a huge loss for Colts... and any other team, because Simon still a free agent (some people thought Simon would be signed September 2).

42 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

definitely not deserved for keeping hunt on the roster, i only saw a few posts that actually questioned that move though.  i think more people were wondering why keep basham over simon 

i know the scheme fit argument, but simon isnt locked into only being an olb either.  he looked pretty good at DE in the preseason against starters 

I doubt if he was given any consideration at LB'er.
As for DE, we saw him get a couple sacks because the QB held onto the ball and relentless Simon eventually got to him. 
 I believe i saw him give up the edge a number of times. A size, strength issue?
I don't know the answer, but i question how many total sacks, hits, and hurries he gets.
He just didn't seem to just beat his man quickly very often. I liked seeing him contribute the 9 games he played last season, but he was not so good that a search for a bigger, better long term prospect didn't seem appropriate. JMO
He is 6'1" and has probably never tipped a pass. Do QB's have a guaranteed free passing lane?
 How is that neck?
To me, only a slew of injuries might have kept him on the team. 

1 hour ago, Pacergeek said:

Well, just last week you posted that the Colts should have kept Simon over Hunt and if they had the Colts would have won the Bengals game.

You have also commented about the poor CBs (even though the starting CBs have played well in both games)  You've talked about the back up OTs, even though they have played above average in both games.  And those are just the things I can remember off the top of my head.  I'm sure if I cared enough I could do a search and find many more.

• Like 2