Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Turf being replaced at Lucas Oil Stadium

Steamboat_Shaun

They recently signed on with some company from Cincinnati to have new turf installed at the Indiana Farm Bureau Football Center. But this says Lucas Oil Stadium. Maybe they are having the same company do the stadium as well.

I wish they would switch to natural grass...or whatever the closest thing possible to it...especially with the recent investments on the OL. Even though there is likely no way to prove that the turf at Lucas Oil Stadium has caused more injuries...I just don't understand why they even take the chance. Every team that has natural grass...their players love it. 

Maybe Ballard can talk some sense into Irsay. He came from KC, who not only plays its home games on natural grass, but also had a player/s publicly criticize the turf at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Natural grass (or whatever they could install there) is obviously much more expensive...but I think they can afford it...especially considering what they have saved on the roster this season.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Hopefully this adds to the speed of the team. Glad they made the switch back to a 4-3. Always keeping this quote from Ballard in mind 

:coltshelmet:

Superbowl 53 is indoors, Ballard is obviously as confident as the rest of us on this board! :thmup:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Hopefully this adds to the speed of the team. Glad they made the switch back to a 4-3. Always keeping this quote from Ballard in mind 

:coltshelmet:

I am all for speed. But to be fair, the Saints' defense in 2009 integrated a lot of 3-4.

18 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I went to the Indy Eleven game on Saturday and they have blocked out all the lines and logos. I know its not the season yet but that was interesting 

So that's why the stadium was open... I was downtown and went to the children's museum with my girlfriend then to the Indians game and had no idea why the stadium was open

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I went to the Indy Eleven game on Saturday and they have blocked out all the lines and logos. I know its not the season yet but that was interesting 

Seems like there might be a contractual agreement between LOS & the Indy Eleven to have the turf replaced this year.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I was there also, but figured that had to be done to avoid the confusion of having different lines on the field (different playing field sizes). BUT, that was my first Indy Eleven game also, so I could only speculate.

• Like 1

Hopefully they're getting the new 

2 hours ago, Coltsfan1953 said:

Hopefully this cuts down on injuries. :nutz:

I feel like I've read that there is a somewhat newer artificial grass turf that is better about preventing injuries and that it has a lesser body impact on players. 

That hopefully combined with having Rusty as our new conditioning overseer will prevent the rash of injuries we've had as of late. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

lol, i always thought it looked like something you'd put on a cake but not on an NFL field.

Call me the odd one, but I still love that logo at midfield.  The only thing I could think of replacing it with - reluctantly - would be the bucking colt (which I find it strange that there is no emoji for?).

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Call me the odd one, but I still love that logo at midfield.  The only thing I could think of replacing it with - reluctantly - would be the bucking colt (which I find it strange that there is no emoji for?).

The type of logo is good, it's just the drawing design of it that is less than expected, imo.  but i agree, the bucking colt would be a satisfactory option.

• Like 1

I can't believe it.  I have always thought our field was a major contributor to many of our injuries.  Last season during the televised games a company was advertising it's new artificial surface.  It looked very impressive.  Maybe that is the company they picked.  Either way this news made my day! 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I can't believe it.  I have always thought our field was a major contributor to many of our injuries.  Last season during the televised games a company was advertising it's new artificial surface.  It looked very impressive.  Maybe that is the company they picked.  Either way this news made my day! 

i agree and to add on to that. the Superbowl between the packers and Steelers in cowboy stadium almost hurt both rosters entirely so yea we can use the upgrade

The high school I teach at got new turf from a company called The Motz Group. They installed at 4 of our districts fields and then were to go to Indy and Lucas Oil from what I had heard.  They have done much of the work at Grand Park according to their website. 

20 hours ago, shastamasta said:

They recently signed on with some company from Cincinnati to have new turf installed at the Indiana Farm Bureau Football Center. But this says Lucas Oil Stadium. Maybe they are having the same company do the stadium as well.

I wish they would switch to natural grass...or whatever the closest thing possible to it...especially with the recent investments on the OL. Even though there is likely no way to prove that the turf at Lucas Oil Stadium has caused more injuries...I just don't understand why they even take the chance. Every team that has natural grass...their players love it. 

Maybe Ballard can talk some sense into Irsay. He came from KC, who not only plays its home games on natural grass, but also had a player/s publicly criticize the turf at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Natural grass (or whatever they could install there) is obviously much more expensive...but I think they can afford it...especially considering what they have saved on the roster this season.

There is no drainage system in LOS.  No drainage = no natural grass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With Reich/Ballard’s emphasis on speed, I’m assuming they are building the team with turf in mind which is fine.

But I wonder if teams that have real grass fields, make adjustments easier to other venues that have turf, then visa-versa ? Is there an advantage either way, knowing you have to play on both, during the course of the year? 

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

There is no drainage system in LOS.  No drainage = no natural grass.

Thanks...I didn’t know that. Plus the roof isn’t translucent or transparent (like newer stadiums that are being built)...so I would imagine sun would be an issue.

Hopefully, what ever they are installing is the next best thing.

33 minutes ago, crazyrob said:

The Colts lease requires the CIB to install new field turf every 10 years. The turf is being installed by the Motz Group. Same company doing the turf at the practice facility. 

I checked out their website. They have installed many high school and college fields in the midwest.  Also the Ravens and Bengals fields.  I'm looking forward to a reduction in injuries.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I checked out their website. They have installed many high school and college fields in the midwest.  Also the Ravens and Bengals fields.  I'm looking forward to a reduction in injuries.

Ravens have natural grass...at least the stadium.

I did a show 4-5 years ago here in Colorado Springs and Dr. Bennet Omula ( Concussion) was the main speaker...also had team Dr.s form several NFL teams including the Colts and the Broncos... the conference was on sports nutrition and injuries... any who...had an expert they was talking about the different levels of Turf... I had no idea that there were either 4 or 7 different levels of turf you could purchase... seems the colts have one of the lower grades...I thought that explains why we have so many injuries... later that year or the following is when we saw a couple players from the Chiefs and other teams stating the colts had one of the hardest fields in the league... I'm a simple Indiana farm boy, but Id be making sure I have the BEST TURF for my players to play on thus limiting my players injuries...

hopefully we get a much better turf and between that and Rusty's nutrition the injuries begin to slow down.

FYI..Dr Omula will not let any of his kids play ANY Contact sports...

• Like 3

Let's go way out there and convert the surface to sand, like beach volleyball players play on (spherical granules that don't stick easily to your skin).  Playing half our games on that surface would about guarantee that the Colts would lead the league in fewest injuries, and that's a key to post-season success.

Sure, there wouldn't be quite as much speed, but that's true for both teams, and a big factor in reducing brain injuries.  The game would still be just as exciting.  Knee and hip injuries would drop, significantly, as would shoulder separations from reduced forces on ground impact. The players would love to have extended careers. Fans appreciate seeing their favorite players stick around longer, too.

Equipment changes would be minimal.  No need for cleats (that reduces hand injuries when stepped on). Just a light shoe with a good rubber sole. One stadium change required is that overhead lasers would need to be installed in order to still have lines. Overall, probably cheaper surface than turf, too.

What do you say, Mr Irsay? If you like the idea, I can send you my contact info so you can send me a check for my consulting work. And if Goodell dismisses the idea, remind him that lowering the league's liability for CTE greatly reduces league expenses, besides simply being moral.

On 7/10/2018 at 5:54 PM, chrisfarley said:

The type of logo is good, it's just the drawing design of it that is less than expected, imo.  but i agree, the bucking colt would be a satisfactory option.

Not to me, that's reminiscent of the Baltimore Colts and I think we need to maintain our own identity over a time when the Colts were not Indy. 

Now given Baltimore did use the horseshoe for four years before they moved, some form of the colt was used for 25  years in Baltimore. So the colt is solidly Baltimore and has no connection with Indy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Not to me, that's reminiscent of the Baltimore Colts and I think we need to maintain our own identity over a time when the Colts were not Indy. 

Now given Baltimore did use the horseshoe for four years before they moved, some form of the colt was used for 25  years in Baltimore. So the colt is solidly Baltimore and has no connection with Indy.

Now the Colts have a longer history in Indy than they do in Baltimore.

The horseshoe is just fine as it is classic and no one mistakes who it belongs to.

• Thanks 3

On 7/10/2018 at 7:58 PM, Four2itus said:

Maybe Carl Spackler is installing it....

"This is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia."

Cant believe this didn't get more likes.  I guess the average age on the forum must be about 24, so its over their head.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Pretty much every person on the Colts sideline is wearing something with the bucking colt logo on it.

5 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Pretty much every person on the Colts sideline is wearing something with the bucking colt logo on it.

Ya, cause that is what the Colts organization gives them to wear. However, that is not the symbol on our helmets or our field. Never has been and I don't think it should be. Like I said, it is a callback to a time when the team was not in Indy.