Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rapoport: Colts have signed respected OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo

stitches

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some background in this article:

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2017/10/10/breaking-dave-deguglielmo-rejoins-miami-dolphins-coaching-staff/

DeGuglielmo (pronounced “Day-Ghoul-Yell-Mo”) coached the Dolphins’ offensive line from 2009-11, primarily under Tony Sparano, before spending two seasons with the New England Patriots that ended abruptly. He coached on the Chargers’ staff last season.

His NFL experience also includes stops with the New York Giants (2004-08) and New York Jets (2012).

His first season in Patriots produced a 12-4 record and a Super Bowl victory over Seattle. Then, things took a turn amid a string of injuries to New England’s offensive line, most notably to a season-ending injury to left tackle Nate Solder.

6 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Some background in this article:

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2017/10/10/breaking-dave-deguglielmo-rejoins-miami-dolphins-coaching-staff/

DeGuglielmo (pronounced “Day-Ghoul-Yell-Mo”) coached the Dolphins’ offensive line from 2009-11, primarily under Tony Sparano, before spending two seasons with the New England Patriots that ended abruptly. He coached on the Chargers’ staff last season.

His NFL experience also includes stops with the New York Giants (2004-08) and New York Jets (2012).

His first season in Patriots produced a 12-4 record and a Super Bowl victory over Seattle. Then, things took a turn amid a string of injuries to New England’s offensive line, most notably to a season-ending injury to left tackle Nate Solder.

sounds like more of a zone blocking scheme than a man blocking scheme unless I'm missing something here i though the chargers ran a zone blocking scheme this season. Dolphins from 09-11 was zone blocking. Actually, they ran a lot of wildcat looks under Sparano I thought they were one of the top rushing teams during that time?

Shocker the line gets worse when key lineman go down 

Beluchick fired him after their o-line stunk in 2015.  They coaxed a retired guy to come back and the o-line got better in 2016 and 2017.

So this shows that JM does not necessarily have the same evaluation of personnel as Belichick.

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

So many fans are gonna hate him when he's not a clone of BB. For some stupid reason a large chunk of our fans believe he has to be the exact same a BB.:facepalm::facepalm:

He tried that and it didn't work, and he seems to know that's not the way to go this time around. Only time will tell.

24 minutes ago, Roger said:

Beluchick fired him after their o-line stunk in 2015.  They coaxed a retired guy to come back and the o-line got better in 2016 and 2017.

So this shows that JM does not necessarily have the same evaluation of personnel as Belichick.

A) No, it doesn't. B) What about the New England OL in 2014 when they won the Super Bowl? Does he just not get credit for that?

29 minutes ago, Roger said:

Well I assume you think JM drafted the offensive line?

The year NEs Oline kinda stunk, I'm pretty sure was when a ton of their guys got injured.

Injuries are killers especially for Olinemen. Harder to plug and play guys. I mean, a lot of us don't think of Philibin that highly because the Oline stunk again, but injuries once again played a huge part in that.

1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Wasn't this guy the coach that got caught on camera doing drugs in the locker room after a game?.

Not sure what the best measure of an OL coach is...but I looked at a few team stats from his time as OL coach with different teams over the past decade: 

Sacks Allowed (ranked highest to lowest)

2009 MIA - 18th (18th in sack %)

2010 MIA - 13th (18th in sack %)

2011 MIA - 3rd (1st in sack %)

2012 NYJ - 6th (2nd in sack %)

2014 NE - 26th (30th in sack %)

2015 NE - 14th (18th in sack %)

2017 MIA - 22nd (23rd in sack %)

Rushing Yards/Carry (ranked highest to lowest)

2009 MIA - 8th 

2010 MIA - 29th 

2011 MIA - 15th 

2012 NYJ - 23rd 

2014 NE - 23rd 

2015 NE - 30th 

2017 MIA - 24th

I know sacks and yds/carry aren't the end-all for pass blocking and run blocking, but these rankings are not exactly inspiring. I am going to have to trust McDaniels (and Ballard) on this...and have hope that McDaniels' system is a good match. Then again, this guy was fired after two years in McDaniels' system...so I am not really sure what to think...but I will remain optimistic (especially after they sign a couple FAs).

47 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

They lacerated Luck's kidney.

Other than that, they beat 2 SB winning QBs in a row - Big Ben, then Brady, and then took down the MVP Cam Newton, that is all. :) 

Just a Top 5 D of all time, those Denver 2015 Broncos, and that is somehow an indictment of how terrible an OL coach is for going against them missing a key OL starter. Oh well, people see what they want to see.

Getting rid of the ball with quick hitters and improving route combinations will lead to lower sack count by themselves. The OL does need a better floor because it is only as good as its weakest link, IMO. 

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Other than that, they beat 2 SB winning QBs in a row - Big Ben, then Brady, and then took down the MVP Cam Newton, that is all. :) 

Just a Top 5 D of all time, those Denver 2015 Broncos, and that is somehow an indictment of how terrible an OL coach is for going against them missing a key OL starter. Oh well, people see what they want to see.

Getting rid of the ball with quick hitters and improving route combinations will lead to lower sack count by themselves. The OL does need a better floor because it is only as good as its weakest link, IMO. 

And IIRC NE very easily could have won that game. A missed PAT leading to a failed 2 PT conversion to force OT, on top of a couple failed 4th downs deep in scoring territory, and they only lost by 2 points. This despite broken a olines poor performance against the best pass rush in more than a decade.

My thinking is I really don't care what the coordinators did somewhere else. It's what they do here in Indy that matters. From the head coach all the way down to the water boy needs to work as a team.

As young as this team is with even younger players coming in it is imperative we have good teachers.

I will look at how tackles are made. (or missed).  How blocking is done. And most of all how disciplined these player play. Excel in those three things and the wins will come.

5 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

You people are already criticizing this guy? 

Are you forgetting that we had Philbin? The GREATEST offensive line coach in the NFL! What Kind of results did he get? 

Good grief 

Exactly.  The ones who are praising Ballard and the hiring of McDaniels are now whining about who they are bring in?

Par for the coarse it seems.

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He was the scapegoat when Brady got wrecked by Denver's pass rush in the AFCCG.

So basically, Brady cried about it to daddy Belichick and Belichick kicked the coach out of the building. Typical.