Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rapoport: Colts have signed respected OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo

stitches

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if it's already been posted in this thread, but there's a pretty good article about the Dolphins Oline last season.

I think DG took over sometime in mid season when they had that video scandal.  Basically it said the O line was very good at pass protection, not so much in the run game.  And that they had a wealth of injuries.  They make a point of saying how stressed the line was because they were behind in a lot of game and constantly throwing.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-20171229-story.html

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 5:55 PM, shastamasta said:

Not sure what the best measure of an OL coach is...but I looked at a few team stats from his time as OL coach with different teams over the past decade: 

Sacks Allowed (ranked highest to lowest)

2009 MIA - 18th (18th in sack %)

2010 MIA - 13th (18th in sack %)

2011 MIA - 3rd (1st in sack %)

2012 NYJ - 6th (2nd in sack %)

2014 NE - 26th (30th in sack %)

2015 NE - 14th (18th in sack %)

2017 MIA - 22nd (23rd in sack %)

Rushing Yards/Carry (ranked highest to lowest)

2009 MIA - 8th 

2010 MIA - 29th 

2011 MIA - 15th 

2012 NYJ - 23rd 

2014 NE - 23rd 

2015 NE - 30th 

2017 MIA - 24th

I know sacks and yds/carry aren't the end-all for pass blocking and run blocking, but these rankings are not exactly inspiring. I am going to have to trust McDaniels (and Ballard) on this...and have hope that McDaniels' system is a good match. Then again, this guy was fired after two years in McDaniels' system...so I am not really sure what to think...but I will remain optimistic (especially after they sign a couple FAs).

new coaches cant make pro bowlers out of below average talent

22 hours ago, Smonroe said:

They make it sound like the Pats line was great after he left.  They were middle of the pack in sacks and QB hits allowed in 17. 

Good linemen men help make good coaches.  By the end of the year we had AC, a first round pick, Haeg and Good, both late rounders, and a bunch of guys they found in the stands to fill out the line.  

Let’s get him some talent to work with!

I concur