Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tony Donahue: It's very possible that Luck never plays again

Steamboat_Shaun

15 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

its possible, i said i think there is more than just a small chance myself

nothing we can do but wait, hopefully he is at least throwing again by draft time

Still need to draft a QB as if Luck does come back, he is one career ending injury hit away from our OL. 

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe that someone would actually question his toughness. For goodness sake he has led plenty of 4th quarter comebacks, played with pain, gave it all for some talent poor teams, but now that an injury is taking longer to heal than "everyone" thought it should, he is not tough. Must be people whose only injury has been their thumb from playing Madden.

Real injuries don't always heal in a straight line, your body doesn't always do what you want it to do when it is trying to recover. Sometimes crap just happens. Sometimes you have setbacks that you don't want and don't plan on- called real life.  When Andrew says "I'm done", then and only then will this be something to consider.

4 minutes ago, OHColtfan said:

Can't believe that someone would actually question his toughness. For goodness sake he has led plenty of 4th quarter comebacks, played with pain, gave it all for some talent poor teams, but now that an injury is taking longer to heal than "everyone" thought it should, he is not tough. Must be people whose only injury has been their thumb from playing Madden.

Real injuries don't always heal in a straight line, your body doesn't always do what you want it to do when it is trying to recover. Sometimes crap just happens. Sometimes you have setbacks that you don't want and don't plan on- called real life.  When Andrew says "I'm done", then and only then will this be something to consider.

Well said.

Just now, corgi said:

Media folks with "sources" are making up stuff to get people to tune in or read when there's little interest in a bad football team. It's as if clicks and ratings matter...

The guy works for JMV's show, which I've always gathered is well-sourced, as well as one of the more popular sports radio shows in the Indianapolis area.

If the colts draft a QB in round one, then you can say Andrew is done. Otherwise until the organization makes a statement that says he's done, all of this is pure speculation. 

I am just of the opinion that the media can't get enough of bashing the colts. It's been non stop ever since 2015 AFCCG, why would it stop now? 

8 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

The guy works for JMV's show, which I've always gathered is well-sourced, as well as one of the more popular sports radio shows in the Indianapolis area.

Yeah, that's great and all, but literally this dude and Brad Wells are reporting this. We're essentially taking an Onion article as the truth. If Luck was never playing again he wouldn't have said what he said last week. He gains nothing by lying about it. 

This is true

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So here is what Donahue is actually saying.......

That Chris Ballard is lying.   Ballard just said NO DOCTOR is telling him this is potentially career threatening.    

Luck says he he expects to come back better than ever.    Is he lying too?

It's way WAY too early to reach any conclusion on Luck.    

AND THIS IS TRUE

16 minutes ago, OHColtfan said:

AND THIS IS TRUE

53 minutes ago, indy1888 said:

It's probably true. Dakich was saying clear back around week 2 or week 3 that he had someone tell him there was a real chance Luck would never play again. And it wasn't all about the injury either although it was part of it, it was more that Luck is a different breed, doesn't really need football in his life, and could walk away and be just fine living his life. When you take this into account with things Irsay has said questioning Luck's mental toughness it does make ya wonder. Luck has been beat up for years here, he may be tired of it.  I will agree with what JMV has been saying lately, if you want these rumors to stop, Luck needs to speak. Not a statement, he needs to get up in front of everyone and speak and tell exactly what has gone on and is going on now. Otherwise, this PR nightmare will continue.  I also seen Donahue mention Irsay getting Manning in here to help run things should Luck retire, that needs to happen regardless of Luck. Irsay is a trainwreck, if he loses Manning to someone like Cleveland there wont be much of a fan base left.

I'm officially confused. Do I have to do this the entire off season?

58 minutes ago, Xander said:

I’ve been optimistic about Luck for months. But now it just seems like our future is toast. This is terrible. 

There is nothing terrible here.     Nothing.

there may be some day, but that day is NOT today.

There isn't enough information for anyone to be upset.

Chillax....

4 minutes ago, corgi said:

Yeah, that's great and all, but literally this dude and Brad Wells are reporting this. We're essentially taking an Onion article as the truth. If Luck was never playing again he wouldn't have said what he said last week. He gains nothing by lying about it. 

Fair enough. Just try to keep in mind that no one on this forum would be happier than me if this whole thing was false.

Every Colt fan on this planet has to admit to themselves that we will not know the final outcome of this situation until say....next August....So can we all (on this board) agree to not post this topic again until next spring.....OTHERWISE WE ARE JUST GONNA MAKE OURSELVES NUTS !....Because until next summer ITS ALL JUST SPECULATION . Put in on the back burner , I know that will not be easy but we could post this as a topic 5 times a day....And still nothing is solved........This is just a suggestion.......GO COLTS 4 EVER !!!!!!!!

I'm not buying this.  I understand shoulder injuries are significant, especially for quarterbacks, but this isn't something like an ACL tear.  I've heard nothing about nerve damage, damage to arteries or blood vessels, etc.  I think the muscle just needs to heal, which muscle does relatively quickly, and he'll be fine.  I'm no expert on the situation, nor am I a physician, but I don't think this is career-threatening.  I'm sure it's a possibility, but that possibility is probably (hopefully) low.

4 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

Every Colt fan on this planet has to admit to themselves that we will not know the final outcome of this situation until say....next August....So can we all (on this board) agree to not post this topic again until next spring.....OTHERWISE WE ARE JUST GONNA MAKE OURSELVES NUTS !....Because until next summer ITS ALL JUST SPECULATION . Put in on the back burner , I know that will not be easy but we could post this as a topic 5 times a day....And still nothing is solved........This is just a suggestion.......GO COLTS 4 EVER !!!!!!!!

I think we'll have something a little more definitive to go on before then. I'd say by draft time, if not sooner.

Shoulder injuries are really, really tough to come back from in hockey and football...usually 18 months before you're anything again...

1. Yeah, sometimes you never regain your form depending on the damage. Shoulders are a lot more "involved" from an athletic standpoint than say something more binary like a knee ligament tear.

2. Why do we think that Andrew would know any better? Like he has to talk about it to set the record straight...he doesn't know. All he can do is rehab and try to get it right again...it's not like he has a crystal ball and can be like "oh sorry, dudes, looks like I am done...good luck with Darnold..."

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'm not buying this.  I understand shoulder injuries are significant, especially for quarterbacks, but this isn't something like an ACL tear.  I've heard nothing about nerve damage, damage to arteries or blood vessels, etc.  I think the muscle just needs to heal, which muscle does relatively quickly, and he'll be fine.  I'm no expert on the situation, nor am I a physician, but I don't think this is career-threatening.  I'm sure it's a possibility, but that possibility is probably (hopefully) low.

This snippet from Rapoport's story on NFL.com the other day raised my concerns a bit...

“Luck does have several problems inside his shoulder in other parts beyond what was repaired — most of which came from his mechanics changing due to compensating for the injury,” Rapoport writes. “Doctors have tried to figure out if the soreness is from his original issue (they don’t think so) or new issues.”

“The shoulder doesn’t look bad when examined. But there are little ailments that haven’t been resolved. Over the last four weeks, Luck has spent weekdays in Birmingham, Alabama, working with Kevin Wilk, one of the nation’s most respected physical therapists. And it has not gotten better. He’d rehab, then get sore, then shut it down. Every time he got close, he’d get sore.”

11 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Fair enough. Just try to keep in mind that no one on this forum would be happier than me if this whole thing was false.

I see you on twitter (assume it's you, similar handle and avatar) trying to get real info about this, you're doing more work than the source reporters. 

I hope that's just a smokescreen for angry fans. Colts can't admit they knew about Luck's injury enough to put him on IR from the start of the season. So they have to exxagerate the degree of Luck's injury. Scared fans are better than angry fans.

I'm sure there are people who do have concerns but to report he is done is nonsense!! Ballard has been completely honest from day one! I believe when he says that when doctors have not said it's career ending. Rapoport also had interviews with the doctors and confirmed everything that Ballard is saying. What people need to realize he is not a year away from his surgery. Even Herm Edwards said on Pennington is that he was sore coming back and playing and how it will take a couple years to feel 100%. And for some people to say how Luck may not want to come back is nonsense. This dude loves football and is passionate about playing. I will say this I won't be surprised if he has surgery to clean up some stuff and it will take time. Just have to be patient.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh Dear God....   here we go again....

Perhaps the only player who has a dedication to football as Peyton did is Tom Brady.     So by definition EVERYONE ELSE has less dedication.    But that doesn't mean Luck lacks passion or enough dedication.

This is the same guy who played with great pain in 2015.    And who decided against surgery and re-injured the right shoulder in week 2 of 2016 and still played the rest of the season (minus one game for a concussion) but played with great pain in his shoulder.    Isn't that enough passion and dedication?

I'm not sure what else the man has to do? 

Oh dear God....here we go again......gotta correct misinterpretations.  I didn't speak about dedication.  I spoke about interest and desire.  It differs from person to person you know.

Yes, If Luck said today that he didn't want to abuse his body and brain anymore and would rather help rebuild a famous building like the sinking Millennial Towers instead of rebuilding a famous sports team, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

In Manning's sixth season, if he said that, yes, it would surprise me a lot.

40 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I think we'll have something a little more definitive to go on before then. I'd say by draft time, if not sooner.

How.......Will not really know the truth until if and when he gets back on a football field !......Until then IT IS ALL JUST WORDS.........JUST WORDS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How.......Will not really know the truth until if and when he gets back on a football field !......Until then IT IS ALL JUST WORDS.........JUST WORDS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No need to shout. On the internet, no one can hear you scream.....

Mainly because they have their hands full this next offseason as far as getting season ticket holders to renew. Irsay has been perceived as a liar throughout this process, and people are looking for a reason to jump ship. If Luck is throwing come February and all is well, they're going to want the world to see it.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Mainly because they have their hands full this next offseason as far as getting season ticket holders to renew. Irsay has been perceived as a liar throughout this process, and people are looking for a reason to jump ship. If Luck is throwing come February and all is well, they're going to want the world to see it.

Ahhhhhh.......Money........Ask this then .....If they thought he was done would they wait until they sold as many tickets as they thought they can.....And then announce their doubts..........So it is all about money....SMH .

I play softball on a travel team that plays all over the US. I have had the SAME surgery 3 times twice on my throwing shoulder. The rehab from them is not very fun, and as was stated earlier, a shoulder is FAR MORE complicated than a knee. A shoulder has limited blood flow and does not regenerate healing well. With the shoulder after the surgery you LOSE ALL STRENGTH in the shoulder, start rehab, with range of motion,  moving to building strength again slowly VERY SLOWLY, progressing at some point a throwing drills, like pretending to throw with no weight then with weighted balls, then real ball. All to get to a real throwing program, to people at a regulated distance an amount of throws. All this takes a LOT OF TIME. I had my last surgery almost a year ago, NOV 18 and still not 100%. May never be. When I had the first surgery, was told you have a 20% chance of not throwing again. Now Andrew had labrum surgery we know that, but we don't know about rotor cuff, bone spurs, or cartilage damage. My bet is he had to have some bone spurs those take over a year to heal after removal, rotor cuff, takes more time than just labrum, fraying or a tear, and cartilage damage. All these all these can be fixed, but the cartilage  is NONE fixable and will get worse over time. what time frame depends on how much use it gets. There are some more experimental things for that but they are not a for sure fix. As you rehab, you get better, then have set back, plateau move forward, plateau, setback move forward etc. thats just how it goes. Based on having been through these types of surgeries, I am not surprised that Andrew will not play this year, I do expect him to recover and play, he may not be quite the same but close, now if he is losing cartilage that can be different, I am dealing with that now and it happens when you change your throwing motion, and or from REPEATED USE. If this is Andrews case he can PROBABLE be able to work threw it and still play. MY bet is he is not done will find a way & will be ready for training camp.    

1 hour ago, NannyMcafee said:

If the colts draft a QB in round one, then you can say Andrew is done. Otherwise until the organization makes a statement that says he's done, all of this is pure speculation. 

I am just of the opinion that the media can't get enough of bashing the colts. It's been non stop ever since 2015 AFCCG, why would it stop now? 

Even IF Luck is done, I think it would be foolhardy to choose a QB with the number one.  I mean, have we learned nothing?  Gotta build the OL and the Defense.  Once those things are looking good, THEN you can worry about getting a QB.

Anyway, regardless, I dismiss this latest rumor of Luck being done as being nonsense.  Next training camp will be a year and a half out from his original surgery, to me that is sounding about right.  Even IF he is not quite ready to go for the beginning of next year, there is just no way I see this as being a career ending situation.  Not sure how 2018 will play out, but I FULLY expect Luck to be back 100% for 2019.  I am hopeful for 2018.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

This snippet from Rapoport's story on NFL.com the other day raised my concerns a bit...

“Luck does have several problems inside his shoulder in other parts beyond what was repaired — most of which came from his mechanics changing due to compensating for the injury,” Rapoport writes. “Doctors have tried to figure out if the soreness is from his original issue (they don’t think so) or new issues.”

“The shoulder doesn’t look bad when examined. But there are little ailments that haven’t been resolved. Over the last four weeks, Luck has spent weekdays in Birmingham, Alabama, working with Kevin Wilk, one of the nation’s most respected physical therapists. And it has not gotten better. He’d rehab, then get sore, then shut it down. Every time he got close, he’d get sore.”

I'm not a physician or physiotherapist, but I imagine it's possible that he's pushing it before it's ready, resulting in the soreness?  Maybe he needs to give the entire shoulder more time to fully heal, then begin the rehab process.  I don't know.  I still don't think it's career threatening, though

15 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

Ahhhhhh.......Money........Ask this then .....If they thought he was done would they wait until they sold as many tickets as they thought they can.....And then announce their doubts..........So it is all about money....SMH .

If you don't want to believe there's any teeth to this story, that's fine, but I think it's important to at least consider it a possibility as opposed to sticking your fingers in your ears and screaming "fake news."

2 hours ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

Not buying this....yet. 

Not sure why this would be determined now - he's going to rehab and then be checked up again in December. Seems way to premature to say there's a chance he's not going to play again. 

Also, not buying this Tony has a source. He said Luck was going to IR...when it became obvious this was a possibility after Ballard's press conference. And now this? Meh. Lots of people speculating right now. 

Me either I think its just the media looking for a new story.

Stress over what you can control, what you can't, don't stress it.  If Luck's career is over, it is what it is, until then, all this speculation is playing to fans to get them fired up.  there is 6 months before now and the draft, far too early to see what happens.  

2 hours ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

Not buying this....yet. 

Not sure why this would be determined now - he's going to rehab and then be checked up again in December. Seems way to premature to say there's a chance he's not going to play again. 

Also, not buying this Tony has a source. He said Luck was going to IR...when it became obvious this was a possibility after Ballard's press conference. And now this? Meh. Lots of people speculating right now. 

Yeah, I agree! He also just said it's possible doesn't necessarily mean it's imminent.