Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tony Donahue: It's very possible that Luck never plays again

Steamboat_Shaun

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Golly, NCF, I wasn't judging Luck adversely.  I only brought up Manning as a comparison of personalities, not as a standard or a competition.  His passion for football may never have been as high as Manning's and it might not take that much to steer him towards other things in the world he can contribute to.  Maybe the thought of helping to save a building from collapsing, or a myriad of other things he can do, is more interesting than winning a super bowl trophy.  Nothing wrong with that.  Others have decided to move on from sports at a young age.  Or chose to not even bother with sports in the first place since a championship is kind of a phony made up thing anyway.  

I get what you are saying and agree.

I don’t know if there is anything to this rumor or not, but it is not as hard for me to believe as it appears to be for others. 

I have no doubt that Luck loves football and gives 110% on the field and in practice, but at the same time he has never come across to me as one of those guys who “lives and breaths” football. Where some players you see in the off season may be enjoying their off season interests, etc… it’s almost like they were still just counting the days until they could play football again. Luck on the other hand seemed to really be enjoying the break and having time to do other things, and when it was time for football again he would enjoy that experience as well, but in the mean time he was perfectly happy exploring other interests. I always felt like I would like to see him “chomping at the bit” more to get back to football when they talked to him in the off season, and maybe he was… it just never felt that way to me… he is definitely a guy who marches to his own drum. 

I don’t think there is necessarily anything wrong with this; I think he will try his best to come back, but I don’t think he is going to have to drug away from football “kicking and screaming” like a Manning, Brady, etc… 

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I need to say this out loud. I find it disturbing that some forum members are actually advocating for the Colts to draft another QB & actually believe that Luck isn't passionate about football. What the hades folks?! 

Luck grew up in NFL Europe as a kid in Germany man when his father was the Commissioner over there. He's known the Manning Family forever & Jimmy even asked Peyton if Andrew was the right guy to lead Indianapolis after him on the field for crying out loud. 

I've said this before & I'll say it again. Luck was instrumental in getting us to the Deflate Game just 2 yrs ago in 2015. He's made of the right stuff. We have the right guy to win a Championship post Manning. 

Look, I understand that the forum is a place for the free exchange of ideas without fear of intimidation or retaliation from other members, but don't panic over 1 bad injury prone yr alright. To quote Princeton Tiger, "Everything will be okay" next yr. 

I also agree completely with Jvan & others who have said that they thought QB Jacoby Brissett played reasonably well given the circumstances of the trade with NE & how well he has played given the limited timeframe Jacoby has had to familiarize himself with INDY's playbook. He is hardly as horrible as some fans have asserted. He's basically just a rookie who won a couple of games. He exceeded my expectations thus far anyway. 

30 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Okay, I need to say this out loud. I find it disturbing that some forum members are actually advocating for the Colts to draft another QB & actually believe that Luck isn't passionate about football. What the hades folks?! 

Luck grew up in NFL Europe as a kid in Germany man when his father was the Commissioner over there. He's known the Manning Family forever & Jimmy even asked Peyton if Andrew was the right guy to lead Indianapolis after him on the field for crying out loud. 

I've said this before & I'll say it again. Luck was instrumental in getting us to the Deflate Game just 2 yrs ago in 2015. He's made of the right stuff. We have the right guy to win a Championship post Manning. 

Look, I understand that the forum is a place for the free exchange of ideas without fear of intimidation or retaliation from other members, but don't panic over 1 bad injury prone yr alright. To quote Princeton Tiger, "Everything will be okay" next yr. 

I also agree completely with Jvan & others who have said that they thought QB Jacoby Brissett played reasonably well given the circumstances of the trade with NE & how well he has played given the limited timeframe Jacoby has had to familiarize himself with INDY's playbook. He is hardly as horrible as some fans have asserted. He's basically just a rookie who won a couple of games. He exceeded my expectations thus far anyway. 

I have been watching Football for 40 years and not once have I ever seen the main reason for a QB retiring is because of a torn Labrum. That is a surgery that has successfully been done 1000's of times. Drew Brees had it done and has dominated.

6 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Did JMV have Kravitz on the show today? I don't ever listen in real-time, I typically catch the podcast the next day.

Per JMV: He wants Tony to develop his own relationship and sources. Told him if he feels confident about what his source(s) are telling him, its up to him to do the legwork to either verify and post, or believe the source(s) and post it.

(and I realize now reading I may have been too tired and bled your post into another, but I digress)

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have been watching Football for 40 years and not once have I ever seen the main reason for a QB retiring is because of a torn Labrum. That is a surgery that has successfully been done 1000's of times. Drew Brees had it done and has dominated.

Thank you for your well reasoned reply CBE. You're exactly right reminding everybody about Drew Brees's shoulder. So many GMs thought he was done. Sean Payton took a flyer on him in Louisiana, he wins a SB in 2009, reached 6,000 yards faster than any other NFL QB, & oh yeah, the Saints have won like 6 straight games & totally resurrected their season. 

Brees is the perfect example for success with major shoulder surgery that didn't derail or end his career early either. A great point. 

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

Thank you for your well reasoned reply CBE. You're exactly right reminding everybody about Drew Brees's shoulder. Some many GMs thought he was done. Sean Payton took a flyer on him in Louisiana, he wins a SB in 2009, reached 6,000 yards faster than any other NFL QB, & oh yeah, the Saints have won like 6 straight games & totally resurrected their season. 

Brees is the perfect example for success with major shoulder surgery that didn't derail or end his career early either. A great point. 

With todays technology that type of injury shouldn't end a career with proper rehab. I am thinking maybe Luck injured it again while training if it isn't healing right. Not sure but Brees had that done over 10 years ago and technology today is much better.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

With todays technology that type of injury shouldn't end a career with proper rehab. I am thinking maybe Luck injured it again while training if it isn't healing right. Not sure but Brees had that done over 10 years ago and technology today is much better.

haha Not that I'm laughing at anybody's injury...Just that your line fits into Andrew's work ethic & that he's so driven to get back on the field & win games with his teammates that sometimes his zealousness to return & make a division run set his progress back a little as you suggest my friend. It contradicts the theory that Luck is lazy, uncommitted, & not driven to play football 24/7 doesn't it? 

The real reason QBs retire, as you know, is they know all the head coach's slogans/motivational tactics; their wife says enough is enough dear come home & give me a reprieve from the kids; the thrill of film study has faded over the yrs; or you're just tired of being hit/sacked by Julius Peppers & Luke Kuechly. To quote Danny Glover in the 'Lethal Weapon' movie franchise "I'm gettin' too old for this crap." LOL! 

3 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Manning definitely doesn't need to enhance his legacy here. I am just saying he's not going to help Luck enhance his.

And I do think he will eventually follow Elway's footsteps. 

Based on what? Is it anything Manning has said either way he really hasn't done anything other than film commercials and enjoy life. 

Sounds great to me as is.

I don't see Manning doing anything that would make him look bad. Running a team would open that possibility up look at Elway his inability to replace the QB position has been exposed among other things.

2 hours ago, TheMarine said:

Per JMV: He wants Tony to develop his own relationship and sources. Told him if he feels confident about what his source(s) are telling him, its up to him to do the legwork to either verify and post, or believe the source(s) and post it.

(and I realize now reading I may have been too tired and bled your post into another, but I digress)

So basically Tony spoke on this issue before verifying what his (not so reliable) source told him?

2 hours ago, CF4L said:

Based on what? Is it anything Manning has said either way he really hasn't done anything other than film commercials and enjoy life. 

Sounds great to me as is.

I don't see Manning doing anything that would make him look bad. Running a team would open that possibility up look at Elway his inability to replace the QB position has been exposed among other things.

It's really just a gut feeling I have. Manning is incredibly cerebral and I have read quotes in the past that reference his scouting reports/knowledge of hundreds of NFL players. I just think he would relish the opportunity to run a team. But to your earlier point, it will probably have to be a team willing to sell him shares.

7 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

So basically Tony spoke on this issue before verifying what his (not so reliable) source told him?

Possibly. Have to get burned quite a bit, I would imagine, in this business to get a feel for who's legit and who isn't as a possible source. His last for the Luck to IR was spot on it appeared, maybe its the same source this time

My 2 Cents (and I've seen a couple of others post the same view) is that regardless of Luck's status come draft time, we need to draft smart and address the OL situation.  Doesn't matter who our QB will be for 2018, if he isn't protected properly, he won't be productive and we won't progress toward being a contender again.  I don't believe Ballard would, or will consider drafting a QB in the first round, because he knows our glaring need is for offensive line help on that side of the ball.

The rebuild requires more than the QB position and I believe if Luck is not ready for 2018, then Brissett will be ready to take on the starting job and will perform at an acceptable level IF HE'S PROTECTED and can use his arm and legs to lead the offense.

Football games are won in the trenches and we need to fortify the trenches in order to move forward.  There are better OL available in the first round than there are QBs and building a strong team is a long term outlook situation.  Band aids don't work in the long run and we've proven that.

A strong draft, some FA acquisitions, another year of experience for our young players, and the return of our injured players will make for a positive start to the 2018 season.

I hope Andrew is able to return and be out starting QB again, but he'll need top notch protection in order to avoid a repeat injury that may end his career.

All we can do now is wait on Luck's progress and trust that Ballard makes the right moves in the off-season and the draft.

1 hour ago, colt18 said:

Not buying it.

As for drafting another QB....you guys are wild. If Luck can't go for whatever reason, we should stick with Brissett. He's shown enough. I don't believe for one second that Luck is done, however.

Enough for what?  Under the circumstances he's done well and looks to be a solid backup, but a championship caliber QB?  Someone you build a team around?  If Luck is done, you certainly draft a QB.  It might not be in the top 5, but you move around and get one somewhere early in the draft.  

12 minutes ago, #12. said:

Enough for what?  Under the circumstances he's done well and looks to be a solid backup, but a championship caliber QB?  Someone you build a team around?  If Luck is done, you certainly draft a QB.  It might not be in the top 5, but you move around and get one somewhere early in the draft.  

Fer sure u get QB in 18.

15 hours ago, southwest1 said:

What kind of ridiculous nonsense is this? Don't you think it's premature to float Luck's retirement at this juncture while Andrew is still recovering & rehabbing? Weren't you the same guy who inferred that JJ Watt's career was winding down & bordering on retirement too? 

Look D75, you're free to subscribe to whatever conspiracy theory you want of course. However, I think that both Andrew & JJ are far from done in the NFL. Let's not put anybody out to pasture just yet shall we. 

Tell that to Tony Donahue...he's the one that started all this about Luck possibly not ever playing again.  

and I'm pretty sure you completely misread D75's post.  He merely said we wouldn't know anything concrete about Luck not being able to play again until an actual retirement announcement was made.  Until then it's all just speculation.

52 minutes ago, #12. said:

He's shown enough where he should remain the starter if Luck isn't able to go. I mean, sure, draft a QB if Luck is done. That doesn't mean we should kick Brissett to the curb tho.

I don't think there is much of a chance of Luck hanging it up yet.  I'm looking forward to next season.   Give Ballard another draft and free agency period and this team should be average without Luck and very good with him. 

However, he does have a loaded bank account and could retire without worry.

"5. Andrew Luck does not deserve this Jimmy Irsay innuendo. Brilliant column Tuesday by Bob Kravitz of WTHR-TV in Indianapolis, wondering if the Colts owner’s “intemperate remarks” about Luck’s health and apparent questions regarding his ability to play hurt will cause a divorce between the team and its franchise quarterback. Irsay and his quack speculation of Luck’s mental state is wrong-headed. Irsay needs to zip it, first of all. Secondly: Since the day in 2015 that Luck first damaged his shoulder, he has started 21 games. Does that sound like a player who doesn’t want to lay it on the line for his team?"

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/08/midseason-report-rams-eagles-roger-goodell-mmqb-peter-king?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

So Peter King is calling this Brilliant? 

Does anyone in the sports media actually pay attention to this stuff or do they just all give each other circle massages? 

11 minutes ago, The Fish said:

"5. Andrew Luck does not deserve this Jimmy Irsay innuendo. Brilliant column Tuesday by Bob Kravitz of WTHR-TV in Indianapolis, wondering if the Colts owner’s “intemperate remarks” about Luck’s health and apparent questions regarding his ability to play hurt will cause a divorce between the team and its franchise quarterback. Irsay and his quack speculation of Luck’s mental state is wrong-headed. Irsay needs to zip it, first of all. Secondly: Since the day in 2015 that Luck first damaged his shoulder, he has started 21 games. Does that sound like a player who doesn’t want to lay it on the line for his team?"

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/08/midseason-report-rams-eagles-roger-goodell-mmqb-peter-king?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

Does anyone in the sports media actually pay attention to this stuff or do they just all give each other circle massages? 

The sports media is no different than regular media such as CNN or any of the other sheep.

15 hours ago, The Fish said:

Too bad Irsay doesn't keep his moth shut.   

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Too bad Irsay doesn't keep his moth shut.   

Damn Moths.

And FWIW, Irsay didn't really say anything nearly as outrageous or detrimental or bad or whatever as some of the brain dead, Peter King types think. This whole story is a great example of how the media try's to make a narrative fit the facts (news).

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Damn Moths.

And FWIW, Irsay didn't really say anything nearly as outrageous or detrimental or bad or whatever as some of the brain dead, Peter King types think. This whole story is a great example of how the media try's to make a narrative fit the facts (news).

Moths haven't been that bad, it is those darned Nats around the ol house lmao 

On 11/7/2017 at 12:29 PM, Shive said:

I don't get where all of these "experts" are getting their info, because the only person that could determine Luck's physical and mental condition is Andrew Luck. I don't see him leaking anything to anyone, especially about how his career could be over. I see all of this as a means to garner attention from members of the media that don't have a ton to cover with the state of the team at this moment. People don't tune in or click when their team is bad, but dangle a carrot about how our franchise QB's career could be over and people will flock. It's sensationalist b.s. and I'm not biting...

As a rule I only get NFL news from the league's own reporters, who get all of their information from inside sources and are paid to report the facts straight out of team facilities. If Tony Donahue did not write "according to sources informed of the situation" or something alone that line, chances are he was dangling a carrot.