Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tony Donahue: It's very possible that Luck never plays again

Steamboat_Shaun

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, RockThatBlue said:

I don't like Tony releasing this info by saying its a possibility. He should have waited until he was told it will or won't happen. 

That tweet will be causing speculation for months.

Yep :tvsmash:.  That's all the media is going to be talking about is Luck's career.  Skip Bayless has to be salivating lol.  

31 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I don't like Tony releasing this info by saying its a possibility. He should have waited until he was told it will or won't happen. 

That tweet will be causing speculation for months.

Exactly !!!.....By tweeting this we should run a pool on how many "Andrew Done? " type topics will be posted on this board between now and say the draft.

56 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

For baseball players, in particular, where labrum tears are more common, labrum tears can often-times be career-ending.

Will Caroll has written extensively about a variety of injuries and is considered one of the best writers out there with respect to covering injuries, rehabs, etc.

He did an interview recently (on JMV), and said something like, in the past 20 years, there have been 110 professional baseball players that have needed posterior labrum repair (same type Luck needed).

These 110 needed additional surgery after the first, whether it was a scope to investigate further or to remove scar tissue.

Out of those roughly 110, only 1 returned to playing professional baseball again.

Rich Hill of the Dodgers.

Yeah...and Hill threw less than 200 innings over eight years before becoming a (somewhat) full-time SP again. That would equate to Luck being able to play approximately 14-15 game over the next 8 years. 

37 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Yeah...and Hill threw less than 200 innings over eight years before becoming a (somewhat) full-time SP again. That would equate to Luck being able to play approximately 14-15 game over the next 8 years. 

Fantastic point.  That's some great (albeit sobering) additional context you provided there.

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Regarding Manning...and this is all my (admittedly cynical) opinion...so I am sure many will disagree with it.

But I think that IF Luck is/was done, it actually makes it much more of a possibility that Manning would become Team President or start working in the Colts FO. I think that Manning cares very much about his legacy with the Colts, Broncos, NFL, et al. And has been long been driven by the desire to be the GOAT, not only for the Colts, but in NFL history.  

So I am not sure if Manning ever had any interest helping Luck win multiple Super Bowl titles with the Colts...something that Manning himself was not able to do (regardless of whose fault it was). Luck was a generational QB prospect...the guy that replaced Manning...and he would have already been great when Manning would have gotten here. So it's not like Manning would get much credit...and he would also be helping another QB possibly create a better legacy and surpass him.

But with Luck not here, Manning gets to start from "scratch" and build a winner...which will only enhance his legacy. He gets to be the guy that brings in the QB that gets them back to the Super Bowl (like Elway did when he brought in Manning). Even if that QB accomplishes more than Manning...Manning will still be largely responsible.

That scenario seems much more likely to me than Manning coming here in the middle of Luck's career.

While I believe Manning wouldn't also come and be team president during Luck's tenure as a Colt its even more laughable that people assume he wants to return here to enhance his legacy.

If his legacy as a Colt isn't good enough as is I'm not really sure anything else will satisfy anyone. He's not coming back here unless he gets a sizable stake in ownership which is something I don't see Irsay's daughters relenting on (and I don't blame them either)

Its even more laughable how Kravitz bangs the drum for Manning to be team president when he lobbied the Colts to dump him to begin with now he's going to be the savior? Yeah sure.

This team won't go anywhere unless Jimbo takes a considerable step back from this franchise.

On 11/7/2017 at 12:15 PM, DougDew said:

Just tossing out a thought.    Andrew always struck me as the type of player that wasn't all that passionate about football.  Maybe that's unfair, but there is a difference between Manning and Luck, and both were the sons of NFL QBs.  I don't think football is Andrew's life, nor is the Super Bowl, nor is a legacy.

Maybe he's more interested in studying the sinking Millennial Tower in SF than the sinking team.  Just sayin'

A lack of passion at this point would certainly go along with Irsay's comments that the issue is in his head.

I've sensed this from him as well.  Heck, when the kid was drafted his words were, " We'll see how it goes." or something to that effect.  That hit me kind of funny.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Doug.....

Unless there is another member of the website that goes by the same handle as you,   then those are your words,  not mine.      That you didn't use the word dedication is meaningless.    

You're trying to make a point.      What is it?   

No one here disputes that football is more important to Peyton than it is to Andrew Luck.      So what?    Who cares?

it's the same for the other 99.8 percent of NFL players.     Peyton and Brady are in a league of their own.     No one disputes that.     So, this is a straw-man argument.     It's meaningless because (A) no one is claiming otherwise,  and (B)   it makes no difference in the world of Andrew Luck.     He's got all the passion and any other quality that the game requires.      And he's demonstrated that since the day he was drafted.    

This is an issue that's only important to you........

I don't pretend to know more about Luck than anyone.    He might rehab for two more months,  find that his shoulder is still sore and decide to retire.     Or, more likely,  if that happened,  he'd have arthroscopic surgery to look inside and see what (if anything) is still wrong with his shoulder.   Could he have another operation?    Possibly.    Could he retire in January?     Sure.      Could he retire in April before the draft?     Sure.      But is it LIKELY?      I don't think so.    It would be counter to everything Luck has shared about his love for football.

Luck has all the tools needed to be great.   He's not even 29.    I don't see him retiring yet.    I don't think he's wired that way.      Having other interests doesn't not mean that football isn't the most important thing to him.   It is.    And everyone here should know that by now.....

Golly, NCF, I wasn't judging Luck adversely.  I only brought up Manning as a comparison of personalities, not as a standard or a competition.  His passion for football may never have been as high as Manning's and it might not take that much to steer him towards other things in the world he can contribute to.  Maybe the thought of helping to save a building from collapsing, or a myriad of other things he can do, is more interesting than winning a super bowl trophy.  Nothing wrong with that.  Others have decided to move on from sports at a young age.  Or chose to not even bother with sports in the first place since a championship is kind of a phony made up thing anyway.  

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not to be argumentative, but I don't believe Luck was "chucking 40 yard bombs"...     

Those were not NFL level passes on any level.  

We absolutely can agree things have changed...  Luck is publicly saying his arm doesn't feel right.   But we don't know if there is now a sharp pain, a dull pain, or even no pain...    Luck might just not have any juice in the arm...

I was only trying to note to the poster that we recently heard from Ballard and Luck...    so we don't have any NEW information about Luck's arm..

This is true, I NEVER heard of ANY length of throw ever.

It's starting to sound like the Colts have wanted Luck to keep throwing all along,  and Luck didn't want too because he was experiencing pain . Ballard grudgingly puts on a front with the media like it was a decision they both made. Might be something to these fray in the relationship rumors. If that's the case they can't let any player hold them hostage , especially one that has pretty much been out 2 out of the last 3 years. They've got nothing out of giving him that contract so far. 

1 minute ago, mahagga73 said:

It's starting to sound like the Colts have wanted Luck to keep throwing all along,  and Luck didn't want too because he was experiencing pain . Ballard grudgingly puts on a front with the media like it was a decision they both made. Might be something to these fray in the relationship rumors. If that's the case they can't let any player hold them hostage , especially one that has pretty much been out 2 out of the last 3 years. They've got nothing out of giving him that contract so far. 

No one knows what rumours are true.   Kravitz ran an article yesterday based on falsehoods.    The kid is rehabbing and we will see how he is next year. 

5 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

Its going to be alright bro... just be patient and wait till we hear something solid.  

Like Jvan says, no one really knows what has transpired (to some degree we do, but not really) and no one knows what is going to transpire.  

We don't benefit at all through continued speculation.  It sucks, but it is the way it is right now.

6 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

If the colts draft a QB in round one, then you can say Andrew is done. Otherwise until the organization makes a statement that says he's done, all of this is pure speculation. 

You won't have to wait that long, only until the next coach is hired.  If this is true or might be true, no coach with any sort of pedigree is coming here, not even someone like McDaniels.  

51 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Golly, NCF, I wasn't judging Luck adversely.  I only brought up Manning as a comparison of personalities, not as a standard or a competition.  His passion for football may never have been as high as Manning's and it might not take that much to steer him towards other things in the world he can contribute to.  Maybe the thought of helping to save a building from collapsing, or a myriad of other things he can do, is more interesting than winning a super bowl trophy.  Nothing wrong with that.  Others have decided to move on from sports at a young age.  Or chose to not even bother with sports in the first place since a championship is kind of a phony made up thing anyway.  

I agree he is quirky and for sure has a different way of showing (or not showing emotions) that we are used to seeing from someone in his position.  The notion that he may have other interest is not surprising either... why wouldn't he?  Most of us do.  I wouldn't think that he is the kind of guy that pours his effort into something, finally gets a huge contract and then just loses what got him there.

I can for damn sure understand any unsettled thoughts he may have about the O-line and how this team has been built over the past 5 years and where it WAS heading.  But you would think he has optimism for the near future at a minimum... meaning having at least some confidence in Ballard.

The only thing about your comment(s) I am struggling with is that you don't get to the level of his play without a lot of passion, grit, drive and commitment to it.  No one is "that good" at anything.  He cares or he wouldn't be here.  Make no mistake, he wants to win.

He just has a different, almost weird, way of going about it.  Feels robotic to me at times.

I don't know, I just struggle with any idea that his mind and heart are not into being the best he can be at his current job- QBing  the Colts.

Not saying you are wrong.... not saying I am right.  Just my thoughts regarding your comment.

1 hour ago, CF4L said:

While I believe Manning wouldn't also come and be team president during Luck's tenure as a Colt its even more laughable that people assume he wants to return here to enhance his legacy.

If his legacy as a Colt isn't good enough as is I'm not really sure anything else will satisfy anyone. He's not coming back here unless he gets a sizable stake in ownership which is something I don't see Irsay's daughters relenting on (and I don't blame them either)

Its even more laughable how Kravitz bangs the drum for Manning to be team president when he lobbied the Colts to dump him to begin with now he's going to be the savior? Yeah sure.

This team won't go anywhere unless Jimbo takes a considerable step back from this franchise.

Manning definitely doesn't need to enhance his legacy here. I am just saying he's not going to help Luck enhance his.

And I do think he will eventually follow Elway's footsteps. 

3 hours ago, zibby43 said:

For baseball players, in particular, where labrum tears are more common, labrum tears can often-times be career-ending.

Will Caroll has written extensively about a variety of injuries and is considered one of the best writers out there with respect to covering injuries, rehabs, etc.

He did an interview recently (on JMV), and said something like, in the past 20 years, there have been 110 professional baseball players that have needed posterior labrum repair (same type Luck needed).

These 110 needed additional surgery after the first, whether it was a scope to investigate further or to remove scar tissue.

Out of those roughly 110, only 1 returned to playing professional baseball again.

Rich Hill of the Dodgers.

Well.....I was certainly more optimistic before reading this haha

34 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I agree he is quirky and for sure has a different way of showing (or not showing emotions) that we are used to seeing from someone in his position.  The notion that he may have other interest is not surprising either... why wouldn't he?  Most of us do.  I wouldn't think that he is the kind of guy that pours his effort into something, finally gets a huge contract and then just loses what got him there.

I can for damn sure understand any unsettled thoughts he may have about the O-line and how this team has been built over the past 5 years and where it WAS heading.  But you would think he has optimism for the near future at a minimum... meaning having at least some confidence in Ballard.

The only thing about your comment(s) I am struggling with is that you don't get to the level of his play without a lot of passion, grit, drive and commitment to it.  No one is "that good" at anything.  He cares or he wouldn't be here.  Make no mistake, he wants to win.

He just has a different, almost weird, way of going about it.  Feels robotic to me at times.

I don't know, I just struggle with any idea that his mind and heart are not into being the best he can be at his current job- QBing  the Colts.

Not saying you are wrong.... not saying I am right.  Just my thoughts regarding your comment.

Who knows.  He may be here forever.  But I think its possible that the lacerated kidney, shoulder issues, maybe having to go through more issues, with the atmosphere of CTE risks, could have an impact on his desire.  I don't know who would go through that and still have the same outlook on things as when they were a college junior. 

The report is probably nonsense.  But this is a forum and we talk and speculate what could be.

43 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I think Luck is probably a techie or similar and those types generally show emotion differently. As I am sure there are a few on this site.    Interested in cerebral things like reading books and engineering formulas, while Peyton cAlled himself a football meathead one time. 

6 hours ago, deedub75 said:

Neither Ballard or Luck are going to publicly say that there's a good chance that Luck will never play again.  They are going to be positive and exhaust every option.  We wouldn't know anyway until a retirement announcement is made.  

What kind of ridiculous nonsense is this? Don't you think it's premature to float Luck's retirement at this juncture while Andrew is still recovering & rehabbing? Weren't you the same guy who inferred that JJ Watt's career was winding down & bordering on retirement too? 

Look D75, you're free to subscribe to whatever conspiracy theory you want of course. However, I think that both Andrew & JJ are far from done in the NFL. Let's not put anybody out to pasture just yet shall we. 

In my honest opinion, i believe this season was set up to be a fluke. Essentially, set to be losing season. All part of Chris Ballards plan. You have star QB in Luck. His shoulder is fine but you stay quiet about it though. Go to say he has "set back" part way through the season. Shut him down officially. Now you are guaranteed top 7 pick. Now continue the slight re-build through this draft and free agency. You clean house and get that new, fresh staff in. Luck comes back and comes back roaring. You have this young team roaring right behind if everything falls in place. I believe this is what Ballard is aiming to do. I remember Ballard once said in interview that liked what Theo Epstein did in Chicago. Theo came in to 3-4 losing seasons and built a excellent team from it. Ballard is wanting/needs to do that in 2 years. Which I firmly believe he can do.