Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mathis arrested

Virtuoso80

If it's his 1st Offense, he will only get 1 year probation and probably 40 hours of community service - like picking up trash on the side of the road, and have to go to AA meetings. He lose his license for 6 months as well. It doesn't sound like he hurt anyone. If that was the case then he would be in some heat. What I would do with drunk drivers is have that device put on all of their cars where they have to blow into it before driving. If they have had even 1 drink, their car wont start.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If it's his 1st Offense, he will only get 1 year probation and probably 40 hours of community service - like picking up trash on the side of the road, and have to go to AA meetings. He lose his license for 6 months as well. It doesn't sound like he hurt anyone. If that was the case then he would be in some heat. What I would do with drunk drivers is have that device put on all of their cars where they have to blow into it before driving. If they have had even 1 drink, their car wont start.

You usually get those devices after a second offense.   If you blow with alcohol on your breath,   not only does the car not start,   you violate your probation and probably go to jail for awhile 

2 hours ago, Gramz said:

I'm curious as to why he is being held without bond...??     I'm assuming that is standard procedure for anyone arrested for OWI  or DUI...   simply meaning they can't bond out until seeing the Judge the next day.?

Hamilton County Jail has a pre-trial program. There are only a couple of Jails in Indiana that have it right now.

During this, Once a person who was booked in (inmate) is drug or alchohol free they are assessed by a pre-trial team. This pre-trail team basically assesses their risk to the public by taking account previous/current charges and other information. Inmates are held with no bond until they can see this team. Once they have seen this team the Pretrial team can decide whether to release the inmate on own recognizance (released right away, no bond fee.) Or hold until they can see a judge when there will be a bond posted.

2 hours ago, BR-549 said:

Back in the 80's, if I remember right, they charged you with both and based on whichever was the lesser charge (OWI I believe) could be dropped the first time.  Not sure for the reasoning behind it other than the opportunity to further punish repeat offenders.  First offense resulted in 6 months without license, one year of probation and successful completion of drug and alcohol class.  Got one when I was in college at 19 yo.  In my case my parents also took my vehicle from me... deservedly so.

it used to be DUI (Driving under the influence) and DWI (Driving While Intoxicated).  DUI was the lesser offense. :)

31 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You usually get those devices after a second offense.   If you blow with alcohol on your breath,   not only does the car not start,   you violate your probation and probably go to jail for awhile 

thats a really good idea

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

:wall::nono::censored:

Glad the cops caught him in time before he hurt someone. I can't friggin' stand drunk drivers. 

Agree 100%. I don't care what's going on in your life, or how your day went. NEVER risk injuring or killing someone on the road because you're so stupid to try and drive while under the influence. 

3 hours ago, Gramz said:

I'm curious as to why he is being held without bond...??     I'm assuming that is standard procedure for anyone arrested for OWI  or DUI...   simply meaning they can't bond out until seeing the Judge the next day.?

I think in many states there is a 24 hour manditory jail time.

10 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Here we go with the holier than thou posts

I'm not perfect by any means. And I'm certainly not better than anyone else, quite possibly the furthest from it. People make mistakes, often avoidable ones much like this.

I too like some on here have lost friends and family to tragedies that could have been avoided...

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I'm not perfect by any means. And I'm certainly not better than anyone else, quite possibly the furthest from it. People make mistakes, often avoidable ones much like this.

I too like some on here have lost friends and family to tragedies that could have been avoided...

Agreed.

but this fanbase has become the dumpster fire, not the organization.

some of the people around here remind me of those who stand around a problem and point fingers, judge, and stare instead of helping or looking in the mirror at their own faults and weaknesses.

hypocritical

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

I think anyone who drinks and drives that is just a bad/dumb decision and puts other people in danger which is a NO NO. Having said that if someone gets a OWI it doesn't make them a bad person. I know a few people that have had one and those people are really kind hearted good people. People that have good jobs and take good care of their families, etc.. They just made a dumb decision. I think anyone that gets a 2nd one then throw the book at them. Have to learn from your mistakes, a 2nd one means that person hasn't learned their lesson and once again endangering lives. A first offense, the person still should lose their license for at least a year and have a device they have to blow in before they drive while on probation. Definitely the 1 year probation so if they violate probation they would go to jail. I am saying all of this if the person with the OWI didn't hurt anyone or kill anyone.

5 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Agreed.

but this fanbase has become the dumpster fire, not the organization.

some of the people around here remind me of those who stand around a problem and point fingers, judge, and stare instead of helping or looking in the mirror at their own faults and weaknesses.

hypocritical

It's a reaction to things they cannot control. I get upset too by what happens on and off the field, but it usually wears off after an hour or so once the game has ended. It's true, sometimes people let things fester for too long. I actually wasn't as upset during the Jaguars game, because I changed my expectations once we lost to the Titans. 

I wouldn't say the entire fanbase is a dumpster fire. The negativity is just more vocal.

I'll still watch the games, maybe even laugh at all the mishaps. I'm a Ball State Alumni, I can take the losses haha...

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Having said that if someone gets a OWI it doesn't make them a bad person. I know a few people that have had one and those people are really kind hearted good people.

I don't think Robert is a bad person either. My father is a struggling severe alcoholic, and he is often regarded as one the nicest men you'd ever meet. 

Something else happened, if he was below the limit (was he screwing with his phone while driving?- maybe he gave the cops a hard time?). People don't like to acknowledge this, but there's a limit, because it's not in fact against the law to have a few beers and drive in the same day. In fact, most people have done it, especially if you've been to a football game or a bar.

Just now, The Fish said:

Something else happened, if he was below the limit (was he screwing with his phone while driving?). People don't like to acknowledge this, but there's a limit, because it's not in fact against the law to have a few beers and drive in the same day. In fact, most people have done it, especially if you've been to a football game or a bar.

Screwing with your phone doesn't merit an arrest.