Mathis arrested

Virtuoso80

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, XxGoosexX said:

what is OWI?

I'm not sure either. Gonna look it up and edit this...

Edit: Operating While Intoxicated, meaning it was his first DUI offense. 

Essentially Mathis could lose his drivers license and face a criminal court, possibly serve jail time. 

To be fair though, I'm pretty sure anyone affiliated with the Colts (fan or coach or player) could use some alcohol after the games we've seen. 

You know what Karma?  Fine, you win, let's just get all the bad stuff out of the way in 2017.

What's next?  Peyton takes a job as a "coaching consultant" for the Patriots?  Irsay thinks the weather in San Diego would be a better home for the Colts?

No wait, I know, The Gubment declares football illegal and I have to go join Mathis in jail...

:Gaah:

9 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

I'm not sure either. Gonna look it up and edit this...

Edit: Operating While Intoxicated, meaning it was his first DUI offense. 

Essentially Mathis could lose his drivers license and face a criminal court, possibly serve jail time. 

To be fair though, I'm pretty sure anyone affiliated with the Colts (fan or coach or player) could use some alcohol after the games we've seen. 

It's called an OWI in Indiana on every offense.    They don't call it DUI in Indiana. 

If it's his first offense,   he will lose his license for a short time and be on probation for a year 

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

It's called an OWI in Indiana on every offense.    They don't call it DUI in Indiana. 

If it's his first offense,   he will lose his license for a short time and be on probation for a year 

Back in the 80's, if I remember right, they charged you with both and based on whichever was the lesser charge (OWI I believe) could be dropped the first time.  Not sure for the reasoning behind it other than the opportunity to further punish repeat offenders.  First offense resulted in 6 months without license, one year of probation and successful completion of drug and alcohol class.  Got one when I was in college at 19 yo.  In my case my parents also took my vehicle from me... deservedly so.

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

"Endangering a Person" ???

What the heck happened?

What did you do Robert?!?!?

Usually that means if the officer sees a car swerving across lanes or even speeding, they can slap endangering a person on it as well.

6 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I'm curious as to why he is being held without bond...??     I'm assuming that is standard procedure for anyone arrested for OWI  or DUI...   simply meaning they can't bond out until seeing the Judge the next day.?

That is correct

6 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I'm curious as to why he is being held without bond...??     I'm assuming that is standard procedure for anyone arrested for OWI  or DUI...   simply meaning they can't bond out until seeing the Judge the next day.?

They don't have to see a judge until their court date.  They might have to spend 12 hours in the "drunk tank" to sober up before they can bond out.

Which means he should be able to post bail this afternoon.

5 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

"Endangering a Person" ???

What the heck happened?

What did you do Robert?!?!?

I believe it means that driving while intoxicated you are endangering yourself and/or others.  :dunno:   Could be something else I suppose, but I think that is what it means.

That doesn't look good for a future coaching career.  

On a personal level, I had a friend killed by a drunk driver.  I hope he loses his license for a good long time.  I think our laws regarding drunk driving are far too lenient.  

That said I promise if I was ever called for jury duty on a OWI case I will tell the judge I'm compromised by that past incident and don't believe I could render a fair verdict.  

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

That doesn't look good for a future coaching career.  

On a personal level, I had a friend killed by a drunk driver.  I hope he loses his license for a good long time.  I think our laws regarding drunk driving are far too lenient.  

That said I promise if I was ever called for jury duty on a OWI case I will tell the judge I'm compromised by that past incident and don't believe I could render a fair verdict.  

I've never heard of an OWI case going to a jury trial

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I've never heard of an OWI case going to a jury trial

It theoretically could, but I'm sure most end up pleading guilty.  It's a crime that the evidence is pretty easy to collect.  Cops have cameras on the front of their cars so the jury can see how bad you where driving, how bad you failed the sobriety test, and breathalyzer test then when they bring you in they can do a blood test giving them more then enough evidence to get a guilty verdict.

I'm mostly just putting it out there that I wouldn't let my biases affect a real world case.  

But with my biases, they could put him in prison for 5 years, take away his license for life, and ban him from alcohol for life and I'd be all for it.  Second time offenders should just go away for life period.  People shouldn't have to have their lives put at risk because other people can't be responsible.  I say that as both a friend of a person killed by a drunk and as a husband and father.  

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

It theoretically could, but I'm sure most end up pleading guilty.  It's a crime that the evidence is pretty easy to collect.  Cops have cameras on the front of their cars so the jury can see how bad you where driving, how bad you failed the sobriety test, and breathalyzer test then when they bring you in they can do a blood test giving them more then enough evidence to get a guilty verdict.

I'm mostly just putting it out there that I wouldn't let my biases affect a real world case.  

But with my biases, they could put him in prison for 5 years and take away his license for life and I'd be all for it.  People shouldn't have to have their lives put at risk because other people can't be responsible.  I say that as both a friend of a person killed by a drunk and as a husband and father.  

I agree,   driving impaired is dangerous.   But no one is getting a sentence like that on a first or second offense OWI

11 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

But with my biases, they could put him in prison for 5 years, take away his license for life, and ban him from alcohol for life and I'd be all for it.  Second time offenders should just go away for life period.  People shouldn't have to have their lives put at risk because other people can't be responsible.  I say that as both a friend of a person killed by a drunk and as a husband and father.  

Completely agree. I love cars and I love driving. But the experience is dampened because of people like that. I hate having to be "afraid" and vigilant all the time while driving, not even counting the worry I have for my wife and family.