Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mathis arrested

Virtuoso80

Yeah I've made the mistake of having some whiskey before and taking zzzquill before sleeping.  Yeah I wasn't driving but I was in fairy, lala land with trolls, unicorns and Freddy Krueger.  Woke up the next day feeling as dumb as a box of rocks.  I'm sure it would be much worse having a few drinks and taking something like Ambien or something stronger.  Something I don't really recommend and haven't done it since then.  I do take Kirkland sleep aids on occasion but no drinks at all.  

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Malakai432 said:

Yeah I've made the mistake of having some whiskey before and taking zzzquill before sleeping.  Yeah I wasn't driving but I was in fairy, lala land with trolls, unicorns and Freddy Krueger.  Woke up the next day feeling as dumb as a box of rocks.  I'm sure it would be much worse having a few drinks and taking something like Ambien or something stronger.  Something I don't really recommend and haven't done it since then.  I do take Kirkland sleep aids on occasion but no drinks at all.  

Great Post

5 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

When you have a bad cold, the combo of Whiskey and Nyquil is the silencer :thmup:

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When you a bad cold, the combo of Whiskey and Nyquil is the silencer :thmup:

Ohhh sheesh, that's the same way man.  Crap like Nyquil, Dayquil, Ambien, and sleep aids alone in general make me feel 100% stupid and out of it.  I would always dread going to work hopped up on Nyquil and Dayquil.  I take the regular dosage but just felt absolutely stupid trying to talk with people.  Some people can take meds all day and be fine, not me!

Well while outside of a traffic violation he didn't really do anything "that bad" although it is irresponsible to drive while you are on a sleeping aid and have alcohol in your system.

Please make better decisions Robert.

11 minutes ago, Nadine said:

I have no idea why someone would take a sleep aid before they were home and in their jammies.

I mean, it puts you to sleep!

True, Nadine.  I was wondering the same thing after I read that.

Earlier today, I had only read that he was not at the legal limit with alcohol.   I have since read more.  :scratch: 

Bad decision on his part, for sure.

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What I would do with drunk drivers is have that device put on all of their cars where they have to blow into it before driving. If they have had even 1 drink, their car wont start.

9 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

You usually get those devices after a second offense.   If you blow with alcohol on your breath,   not only does the car not start,   you violate your probation and probably go to jail for awhile 

I had never heard of these devices. That is a very good idea. What is the name of these devices? I would like to read more about them. Thanks.

As for this incident, :facepalm:. I don't get why folks drive after drinking. Is their judgment so impaired that they cannot find alternative means of getting home?

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Why don't we wait until all of the information is available?

I was not at all claiming that is what happened.  I was just making a  point because the person I quoted said we were convicting him of drunk driving and he/she was glad he was no where near the legal limit.  I don't see a reason to be glad that someone is driving while impaired.

15 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I had never heard of these devices. That is a very good idea. What is the name of these devices? I would like to read more about them. Thanks.

As for this incident, :facepalm:. I don't get why folks drive after drinking. Is their judgment so impaired that they cannot find alternative means of getting home?

If his bac was .05.  That could be one glass of wine with dinner.   

11 hours ago, midwest said:

I was not at all claiming that is what happened.  I was just making a  point because the person I quoted said we were convicting him of drunk driving and he/she was glad he was no where near the legal limit.  I don't see a reason to be glad that someone is driving while impaired.

It was me you were quoting...    At the time, I was unaware that he had taken a sleep aid.  I had only read that he was not at the legal limit.   I do not advocate drinking and driving, however I do think someone who has had a beer or two, or a glass of wine with dinner can still be quite capable of driving.    The sleep aid added a new and impaired dimension.

btw...  Your point was made.

7 hours ago, ThaCaliColt said:

this is making headline news? For real? I got major love for Mathis. Are you kiddin me? This homeboy doesn’t even break the state limit and they are arresting the brother??????!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree but driving the wrong way is good reason to arrest. The other stuff is meaningless. Have his wife drive him home.

14 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

I did that mix when Hurricane Ike hit Houston in the middle of the night. Slept like a baby and heard nothing.

did everybody miss the SLEEPING PILLS that Mathis stated he had taken. Maybe they reacted quicker then what he though. It happens. Bad choice yes but its could just be as simple as the alcohol effected the time it took the pills to work then what he was used to. 

19 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I think its called like an ignition interlock. I've even heard bars installing things called an intoxbox but there are several different names where people can't get their keys from the bar until they blow. I don't think they are all that effective. Most drunks just have someone else blow into it to get around it because most take at least 10-30 minutes before requiring another test. It usually takes a couple of fails each 6 mins or so apart before it shuts down the car. Thus we don't just have people driving drunk but rushing home before it asks for another test. Never the less taking medication with alcohol is a HUGE no no...can't believe he did that.

19 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

If his bac was .05.  That could be one glass of wine with dinner.   

Huh....That would be one tiny person to get .05 with one glass of wine...not sure that's even humanly possible. Here is a bac calculator...you can play around with weight gender drinks etc...its not 100% accurate of course but depending how long after he drank it would likely take 4-5 drinks for a man of Mathis size to blow .05 even in a minimum time frame.

http://dui.drivinglaws.org/calc.php

44 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Huh....That would be one tiny person to get .05 with one glass of wine...not sure that's even humanly possible. Here is a bac calculator...you can play around with weight gender drinks etc...its not 100% accurate of course but depending how long after he drank it would likely take 4-5 drinks for a man of Mathis size to blow .05 even in a minimum time frame.

http://dui.drivinglaws.org/calc.php

The bac calculator in cop cars disagree with that.    

4 hours ago, Freenyfan102 said:

I can see no charges being brought it. He was under the legal limit.

Again.... That does not matter.

It's frustrating, Apparently people don't know how to read articles or actually learn Indiana laws.

Mathis took sleeping pills along with alcohol which can impair and effect a person in various ways.

If a person is too impaired to drive there is no legal limit and they can be charged.

17 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

The bac calculator in cop cars disagree with that.    

Not trying to be argumentative but how so? Almost all the calculators and charts on health sites show a man of 240 lbs taking minimum 3 drinks to get to .05 in one hour...depending on how long it had been through dinner and being pulled over it is likely he had anywhere from 3-5. I totally understand every body works differently scientifically etc but one drink unless you weigh less than 100lbs is not going to give you a .05 alcohol level....or is it just that the ones in the cars aren't accurate and that is why they have to to take them down town to test them again? Even if that is the case wouldn't they simply release the level taken at the precinct downtown as it is the only one that is legally admissible in court? So factor the time in which he drank....to got pulled over...to got booked down town and took another test...it could have been several hours meaning he may have had even more to drink then simply 3 or 4. If there is another reason you think he may have had only one please explain...I'm honestly curious.

15 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Not trying to be argumentative but how so? Almost all the calculators and charts on health sites show a man of 240 lbs taking minimum 3 drinks to get to .05 in one hour...depending on how long it had been through dinner and being pulled over it is likely he had anywhere from 3-5. I totally understand every body works differently scientifically etc but one drink unless you weigh less than 100lbs is not going to give you a .05 alcohol level....or is it just that the ones in the cars aren't accurate and that is why they have to to take them down town to test them again? Even if that is the case wouldn't they simply release the level taken at the precinct downtown as it is the only one that is legally admissible in court? So factor the time in which he drank....to got pulled over...to got booked down town and took another test...it could have been several hours meaning he may have had even more to drink then simply 3 or 4. If there is another reason you think he may have had only one please explain...I'm honestly curious.

If you just finished a glass of wine and got into your vehicle and were pulled over you will blow over .05

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If you just finished a glass of wine and got into your vehicle and were pulled over you will blow over .05

If you say so. I've never had to take a test and rarely ever drink much less would drink and drive but the science behind it doesn't seem to support that....I'm not going to try to find out though lol.

Yes and no, it is possible to blow .05 but your BAC is not .05.  Residual mouth alcohol takes 10 minutes or so to evaporate.  So you could put some wine in your mouth, swish it around, take a breath test a few minutes later on a portable breath test and show a BAC.  However 10 minutes later it would be 0.00.  That is why Indiana Law requires that the person be observed for at least 20 minutes before taking a certified breath test (not the same as the portable tests on the streets).  So if he drank one glass of wine by the time he got to the jail and took a certified breath test he would not test .05% from the 1 drink. 

Again the alcohol part of this arrest is not what is relevant.  If I remember correctly Irsay tested below the legal limit as well (0.00) but was still arrested because he was impaired. Everyone keeps saying Mathis will get off because he was below the limit, I know he is not broke but Irsay has as much money as anyone and some great lawyers and he still ended up pleading guilty to the OWI.