Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mathis arrested

Virtuoso80

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I posted this earlier. Mathis may have took a pain pill + had a couple of beers so maybe was belligerent??

Yeah pain meds/hormone meds ect can male the alcohol effects on a person much higher.

So he could be at a .05 and seem like he is at a .08 or above.

Seems to be the case here.

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

When did you become so bitter AZ ?

i used to enjoy your posts.

I wish I could say I used to enjoy yours, too, but I can’t remember any of them. Were they memorable? As for joking about two-time Busted Bob, lighten up. He deserves ridicule and that will be the least of his worries.

Saw that myself.  Not sure how they can put those charges on him when he was below the legal limit.

Wouldn't be surprised of the prosecutor actually drops these charges in the next few days.  He's a well loved player in the Indianapolis area, he was below the legal limit and the evidence is that he was driving the wrong way on a 1 way road.  (People do that stuff by accident all the time.)

Seems like he would be hard to convict.  Especially when he has the resources to hire a good attorney.

7 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Blew below the legal limit. How is this a thing?

Not sure about Indiana law but in many states, blowing the legal limit makes you presumptively guilty. Below that and you can still be found guilty if other factors are present, for example, if you are driving your car on the neighbor’s lawn when arrested.

9 minutes ago, azcolt said:

I wish I could say I used to enjoy yours, too, but I can’t remember any of them. Were they memorable? As for joking about two-time Busted Bob, lighten up. He deserves ridicule and that will be the least of his worries.

I was being nice about remembering  your past posts, i dont recall them either.  I was simply trying to help kick you out of this funk.  but i guess that was a mistake.

sorry tobother you, you can now go back to being miserable.

Just now, WoolMagnet said:

I was being nice about remembering  your past posts, i dont recall them either.  I was simply trying to help kick you out of this funk.  but i guess that was a mistake.

sorry tobother you, you can now go back to being miserable.

So you lied about remembering my previous posts. How odd. But we have seen similar behavior in higher places lately and it’s odd in that context too. 

He was below the legal limit but had turned the wrong way down a one way street.

I'm told that it's a weird intersection a split blvd off a busy street.  In other words, an easy mistake to make.

I think the charges get dropped.

2 minutes ago, Nadine said:

He was below the legal limit but had turned the wrong way down a one way street.

I'm told that it's a weird intersection a split blvd off a busy street.  In other words, an easy mistake to make.

That's not "arrest-able" offense and certainly not enough to book him in a county jail and take his mugshot in a jumper.  

I'd like to hear RM's side.

51 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Not sure about Indiana law but in many states, blowing the legal limit makes you presumptively guilty. Below that and you can still be found guilty if other factors are present, for example, if you are driving your car on the neighbor’s lawn when arrested.

Huh interesting. I'm from the UK so it's different here. Cant be prosecuted for drink driving if you blow below the limit I don't think. Probably just dangerous driving. If you drive on your neighbours lawn you get a sternly written letter and no birthday card from the Queen that year.

9 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

That's not "arrest-able" offense and certainly not enough to book him in a county jail and take his mugshot in a jumper.  

I would too.  It was also raining last night, and dark.

I see people make mistakes like this all the time.  Saw it happen in broad daylight this week.

Can't say whether the guy had been drinking though

Apparently you can be charged with OWI even if you are below the legal limit.  So, him driving the wrong way, coupled with him having had probably 2 drinks was enough for the charge to be made.

9 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

as someone with LEO experience,under Indiana law, they actually can if the officers feel he was impaired even if he blew below the legal limit.  Now, that's a hard case for the officers to prove and they'll need some proof to ensure a conviction.  If they have footage of him swerving or driving irradically, they can make the charges stick. Now what will most likely happen is Mathis pleaing out to something like public intoxication, taking a probation hit and moving on.

1 minute ago, Nadine said:

Still very possible to get charged. BAC doesn't matter in this case. Impairment does. 

Like i I said in previous posts. If meds mixed with Alcohol then he could have been to impaired to drive.

1 minute ago, bravo4460 said:

Still very possible to get charged. BAC doesn't matter in this case. Impairment does. 

Like i I said in previous posts. If meds mixed with Alcohol then he could have been to impaired to drive.

yep.  and if he had a CDL type endorsement of any type, any amount over .00 is chargeable and subject to arrest, even if not in a CDL vehicle. 

Just now, csmopar said:

yep.  and if he had a CDL type endorsement of any type, any amount over .00 is chargeable and subject to arrest, even if not in a CDL vehicle. 

Exactly...

Indy media and others are now making this a big issue and even a race issue because they do not understand the law. Pretty crazy and really irritates me.

People are so set on the .08, I get it though, it's a weird law to understand.

25 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Who hasnt gone down a oneway street in the wrong direction?

ive done it sober numerous times.

sometimes signs are blocked or not in adequate locations.

1 hour ago, bravo4460 said:

You can still be under the league limit and be arrested for OWI. Not a lot of people know that.

Its depends if the Officer had probable cause to believe he was too intoxitcated to drive.

Medications can make the alcohol effects stronger or other circumstances like that.

Yep that's what the article said: "Police confirm to FOX59 that Mathis’ BAC was .052, which is below Indiana’s legal limit of .08. However, officers at the scene determined Mathis was too impaired to drive and arrested him for “OWI: Endangering a person.”

11 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Who hasnt gone down a oneway street in the wrong direction?

ive done it sober numerous times.

sometimes signs are blocked or not in adequate locations.

That's what I was thinking.  Sometimes it's an easy mistake to make

15 minutes ago, NM_Colts said:

Yep that's what the article said: "Police confirm to FOX59 that Mathis’ BAC was .052, which is below Indiana’s legal limit of .08. However, officers at the scene determined Mathis was too impaired to drive and arrested him for “OWI: Endangering a person.”

Thats a joke cop wants to be famous for a day!!

17 minutes ago, NM_Colts said:

He will walk on that.    His lawyer will  make this go away.   

The cop must be a patriots fan

Indiana has multiple OWI laws (DUI, OWI, DWI, it just comes down to what you call it).  There is a "per se" law which is 0.8% or higher you will be arrested.  Then there is an impairment law. The impairment law is the officers discretion and a person can be under .08% and still be charged.  The law is written because some life long alcoholic could be at .08% and drive perfectly fine and a young 100 pound college kid who has never drank before could have two beers and be .07% and be extremely impaired and more dangerous on the roadway. 

My experience has been working in the CJ system is that for an adult to be charged with OWI while being under .08% he was likely under the influence of something else.  It has either not been released yet, or possibly they had to have his blood tested and the results are not back yet.  You could take your drug of choice, (pills, weed, etc.) and drink two beers and be slobbering and staggering around.  I am guessing he was in a similar situation as Irsay, he just happened to have a couple drinks as well.  Unless last night was his first night drinking and he couldn't handle being at .05%....

1 hour ago, Gramz said:

Gotta love Social Media.....

Now that more of the story has come out, after most had publicly convicted him of driving drunk.....I'm happy to hear that he wasn't even close to the legal limit.  

So if he was coming down the street toward your kids messed up enough to fail sobriety tests its OK since he's on a combination of meds/drugs and alcohol and not just alcohol?  Most time a person who gets charged with an OWI below the limit of .08% is worse then someone driving at .08%.  They have to be able to prove that they were impaired, many people can be at .08% and not show any signs of impairment.

2 minutes ago, midwest said:

So if he was coming down the street toward your kids messed up enough to fail sobriety tests its OK since he's on a combination of meds/drugs and alcohol and not just alcohol?  Most time a person who gets charged with an OWI below the limit of .08% is worse then someone driving at .08%.  They have to be able to prove that they were impaired, many people can be at .08% and not show any signs of impairment.

Why don't we wait until all of the information is available?

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

as someone with LEO experience,under Indiana law, they actually can if the officers feel he was impaired even if he blew below the legal limit.  Now, that's a hard case for the officers to prove and they'll need some proof to ensure a conviction.  If they have footage of him swerving or driving irradically, they can make the charges stick. Now what will most likely happen is Mathis pleaing out to something like public intoxication, taking a probation hit and moving on.

I wouldn't plea to anything if I was below the legal limit. i.e not impaired.

I also have no problem with cops arresting someone under those circumstances. 

And to be factual, I think he blew the 052 after he was detained, so he might have been close to being legally intoxicated at the time he was driving.

The arrest was appropriate (which it what happens in suspected owi's...cops aren't going to let someone get back in the car) 

And if charges get dropped because he wasn't actually impaired, that's appropriate too.

39 minutes ago, midwest said:

I don't know all the details, and neither do you.  I think the officer did the right thing if  it appeared he was impaired and not capable of driving, to not allow him to drive any further  thereby protecting him from harming himself and/or anyone else. He made a mistake, no one was hurt, and hopefully it won't happen again.