Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign LB Barkevious Mingo to 1-year deal

MTC

Here it says Mingo was drawing "Huge" interest from "Numerous" teams.
Weird.

According to the Miami Herald's Adam Beasley, free agent LB Barkevious Mingo is drawing "huge" interest from "numerous" teams.
It's hard to believe after Mingo played just 54 snaps all of last season for the Patriots following a trade from the Browns. Mingo, the former No. 6 overall pick, is still just 26 and can also play special teams. His length at 6'4/240 will always be intriguing, but Mingo never developed pass rush skills. He can play inside and outside. Mar 1 - 1:17 PM
Source: Miami Herald

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, James said:

Actually Jags and Titans again finish below the Colts this upcoming season, despite "winning" free agency. It'll be the same old song.

I'm far less confident of that this year.  The Titans are more talented, the jags finally have an actual coach, and if the Texans get Romo and he stays relatively healthy....could be a long season.

For those interested, here's his draft profile from NFL.com:

STRENGTHS

Tall, long and explosive pass rusher who projects best as a stand-up, weakside edge rusher in the NFL. Incredible first step off the snap, can turn the corner on the outside and shimmy inside against leaning tackles. Not a contact-shy player despite his slight build, often lines up on the strong side and/or inside of tight ends in a tight alignment. Strong player setting the edge against the run. Willing to take on tackles man-up, extends his arms to keep distance and can get off to grab backs trying to get through the hole. Takes tight ends into the background using his length and footwork. Works through blocks to get down the line to chase plays. Overall agility and length make him effective in coverage, can stay with running backs out of the backfield and wrap up receivers in space. Excellent straight-line speed shows when chasing down plays from behind. Uses his length and jumping ability to knock down passes if unable to reach the quarterback.

WEAKNESSES

Very lean player, likely too thin in the hips to grow into an every-down defensive end. Needs to shed more consistently to prevent plays from getting outside of him. Long legs get in his way at times when trying to change directions quickly. Often gets too focused on scrapping with his blocker instead of getting his eyes in the backfield to find the ball. Did not progress in terms of pass rush moves during his career. Great player off the snap of the ball, but too often allows the offensive tackle to recover because he lacks a move to disengage.

NFL COMPARISON

DeMarcus Ware

BOTTOM LINE

Mingo looks almost too lean to handle the physicality of NFL linemen, but has surprising strength to go along with the elite length and straight-line speed to rack up big sack numbers (he had eight in 2011) and track down ball carriers (15 tackles for loss) as a 3-4 rush linebacker at the next level. He is a boom-or-bust prospect. Mingo's production dropped as a junior, and he failed to show much overall growth in his game over the course of his career. However, KeKe flashed the talent and projectable skills to be a dominant NFL pass rusher, and a position switch will likely serve him well, as the LSU Tiger was too often asked to play in a tight alignment on the strong side in college -- a poor use of his strengths.

4 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I'm far less confident of that this year.  The Titans are more talented, the jags finally have an actual coach, and if the Texans get Romo and he stays relatively healthy....could be a long season.

Could happen, but I have to see it to believe it. We have their number, especially the Titans, and while I think they improve in the end I don't see more than 8-8 records for them. I expect the Colts to do better than that despite last year. 

13 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Except when you have no other linebackers currently on the roster.  As I said as things stand right now our starting olb would be Mingo and Ayers. 

Well that point is irrelevant because this isn't the start of the season.

13 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Except when you have no other linebackers currently on the roster.  As I said as things stand right now our starting olb would be Mingo and Ayers. 

And he can play inside and outside....hence the depth.  If you think the current roster is what Indy is going to war with, then you may want to have a little patience?

I can say I am a bit surprised at this deal.  CB said he wanted to create competition at every position and we certainly don't have much at LB, so I guess he is holding true to his statement/ philosophy.    

Watching the short dab of film available on him doesn't impress me so much.  Doesn't mean that he wasn't around the right kind of players/ coaches to maximize his potential.  

Hopefully he can live up to his ability/ expectations and help us out. 

Some people on this forum crack me up. Not every single FA we sign is going to be an all-star, and the fact that the Colts have had two down years in a row may detract some players from wanting to sign with us. 

Point is, we're going to sign who we can get and draft who we can. 

Some FA signings may strictly be depth. Settle down and wait until FA and the draft are over. 

Guy was number 6 overall in 2013'   crazy combine numbers iirc.    Just goes to show top 10 draft picks fail as well.   Hopefully he has a chip on his shoulder.  He was pretty light coming out of college.   Don't know his size or injury history since

33 minutes ago, needanoline63 said:

Bottom feeding! Sweet. Jags and titans are going to rule this division 

Yeah they definitely had a leg up on us with all the free agency spending those teams did last year. Goes to show you that when you throw money at the problem it always gets fixed.

40 minutes ago, Superman said:

I had this idea. I almost mocked Mingo to us in my big mock, but went with Jarvis Jones instead. Mingo can probably play ILB also, though. Interesting signing, I think. 

I don't see him having much of an impact he is more like a role player

depth, special teams, some experience, cheapieh price.

we're gonna need some of these types to improve depth as much as any "big names".  The OL signed, as well as the def players signed for big $ might have helped, but wow they were paid. Ballard seems to be smart enuff not to handcuff our future.

its a long time until game 1 of 2017.  We have time i think. I'm gonna trust the team has a plan.

Okay pick up. I don't expect the Colts to go crazy in free agency but I did expect to see a little more action. Obviously FA doesn't win championships (Jags) but with the rest of the AFC South making a bunch of noise it is bound to catch up to the Colts at some point.