Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on the fake field goal?

RockThatBlue

14 minutes ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

Waa a good call. Was not good exicution

It was not a good call. If we are gonna do a fake, I would much rather throw it because there is no chance McCafee is going to gain any extra yards soon as a defender hits him. I would have much rather went up 3-0. 

I didn't like the timing of it considering it was the 1st quarter, but the play design itself was pretty crafty. If the guy would've tried to jump over the LOS like everybody expected him to do, it would've been a easy touchdown for Pat. I say keep that play in the bag. It will be successful in the future.

24 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Unfortunately Hilton is pretty much the only WR who ever gets open, besides Moncrief in some red zone situations. Thats probably why Luck forces some throws to his way sometimes.

def seems that way. might have to draft another wr

4 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Who else hated that call? You gotta take the points in that situation. If we take a 3-0 lead early, thats a pretty good start to the game. 

The Colts didn't lose the game because we didn't convert on the fake field goal.   

There's no automatic formula on when to run the fake field goal.    It was early in the game and we had plenty of time to be competitive and win the game.       We didn't.

Since the dawn of time fans have made this argument.

Trick play that doesn't work = bad.

Trick play that works = good.

It's a little more complex than that.

I'm fine with the play.      We didn't lose the game because of it.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Colts didn't lose the game because we didn't convert on the fake field goal.   

There's no automatic formula on when to run the fake field goal.    It was early in the game and we had plenty of time to be competitive and win the game.       We didn't.

You have to take the points on the road in a must win game. Even if it didn't cost us the game it was a bad move by the coach.

I'd bet MOST coaches would have taken the 3. Our guy tries to reinvent the world sometimes. Bust that play out another time. Make sure you grab an early lead.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Turned out to be inconsequential.

Well if the make the field goal there they probably go for it on fourth down on their last position so it probably did change strategy at the end.  Still the INTs and fumble were bigger factors that and the defense not even being a speed bump most of the game.  

8 minutes ago, VocableLoki said:

Do you think Pagano made that call specifically on that play? Or was McAfee allowed to read the defense and use it when he wanted? I thought I remember McAfee generally being able to do that on fake punts at times. Would be interesting to know.

Million dollar question.  If it comes out. McAfee made the call based on what he saw that probably changes some people's view of things.  

I have a feeling the people who hated the call are the same ones that criticize pagano for being too conservative. 

I had no issue with the fake. As has already been said, it did not lose us the game. 

Lucks interceptions were far, FAR more costly than these lost 3 points

8 hours ago, Jason_S said:

I have a feeling the people who hated the call are the same ones that criticize pagano for being too conservative. 

I had no issue with the fake. As has already been said, it did not lose us the game. 

Lucks interceptions were far, FAR more costly than these lost 3 points

While you may be correct, it doesn't make them wrong.  Bad decisions are situational - the fake FG was much too early in the game.  Not trying an onside kick toward the end may have been a bad 'conservative' call just as well.  When Pagano wasted the T.O. on the challenge earlier, he basically then made a HUGE gamble that the defense could stop Oakland on that last possession.

I'd argue that giving up the ball with the fake FG plus Gore's fumble were equally costly as Luck's interceptions, given the field position.  The final INT in the endzone was simply careless and indefensible, though.

13 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Unfortunately Hilton is pretty much the only WR who ever gets open, besides Moncrief in some red zone situations. Thats probably why Luck forces some throws to his way sometimes.

I agree on some part. But Hilton is not an Amari Cooper or Mike Evans. He isn't going to be able to jump up and snatch a ball in between two defenders. I love Luck. But he has to stop forcing them deep throws with a safety overtop like he does. 

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

^^^ this, this and more of this

There wouldnt have been a single complaint if McAfee had been able to spin away from that tackle and pick up the first down. 

16 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well if the make the field goal there they probably go for it on fourth down on their last position so it probably did change strategy at the end.  Still the INTs and fumble were bigger factors that and the defense not even being a speed bump most of the game.  

Look at the math and the final score. They were down 26 points, lost by 8. Give them an extra 3 and they still need a TD. Even if Janikowski didn't miss those extra points, they still needed four scores. 

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know it didn't cost the game, as no game is lost after a teams first possession, but the Colts for the most part have a tough time getting any kind of leads early in games. Take the almost for sure automatic 3 points there. A 3-0 lead would have been better than the 7-0 lead they had after that fake.

Not a bad time for the fake. Keep the Raiders defense on the field and more importantly, the Colts D off the field.

I would question the call if it was done because the linebacker was showing he was going to jump over the center. Is a team really going to do the jump over the center move on a first quarter field goal? I'd think they hold that for a more important kick. Looked more like just a fake by the D, similar to a fake blitz, to get someone to flinch. 

Good call.  Havent got the scoreboard pressure for immediate points. If it didn't work we wouldnt give them too short of a field to work with. Good time for an aggressive play call like that. 

Unfortunately it wasn't well executed and Oakland were ready for it. The downside to having a ST unit known for their trickery.

You win some, you lose some.

On 12/24/2016 at 5:30 PM, RockThatBlue said:

Who else hated that call? You gotta take the points in that situation. If we take a 3-0 lead early, thats a pretty good start to the game. 

It is the call a loser makes when he has no confidence in his team's ability to execute. I don't think Pagano has any confidence in his team, and that is a major part of the problem.