Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shannon Sharpe is killing Grigson and Irsay this morning

YourNextGM

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grigson gets a bad wrap..Yes he screwed up the Richardson trade, and missed on Werner, but we were desperate at the time of Richardson trade..Other than that 3 of his drafts have been very good, and he manages the cap  great ...He is very good at finding talent in later rounds, udfa's, and on the waiver wire..We have a lot of talent on this team , I like our roster...He has no control over injuries...

44 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Grigson gets a bad wrap..Yes he screwed up the Richardson trade, and missed on Werner, but we were desperate at the time of Richardson trade..Other than that 3 of his drafts have been very good, and he manages the cap  great ...He is very good at finding talent in later rounds, udfa's, and on the waiver wire..We have a lot of talent on this team , I like our roster...He has no control over injuries...

Dude, are you trying to get banned from the forum or what?

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

Yeah he's done a handful of good things. the thing is though. Even after screwing up on the drafts, and giving up the 1st rounder for nothing. We could be in much better shape with better FA signings. For example. We had the cap room to bring in a Sean Smith or a Janoris Jenkins this offseason.....But we didn't. Signing Sean Smith and Bruce Irvin would have drastically improved the team this year.

10 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Yeah he's done a handful of good things. the thing is though. Even after screwing up on the drafts, and giving up the 1st rounder for nothing. We could be in much better shape with better FA signings. For example. We had the cap room to bring in a Sean Smith or a Janoris Jenkins this offseason.....But we didn't. Signing Sean Smith and Bruce Irvin would have drastically improved the team this year.

We cant make guys sign here..Lots of teams wanted those guys..Im sure we tried..Patrick Robinson was a good sign at a bargain price..Id rather not overpay unless  we are literally a player or 2 from a Super Bowl..Build through the draft,  and be smart in FA , look for young guys who may be stuck in the wrong system, or hungry vets with tread left on the tire at bargain prices..I used to want every big name free agent, but it never seems to work out in most cases, and gets you in cap trouble..Look at Miami as a prime example..

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Where is their a guarantee we would have signed those guys? Do we know whether they were even really interested in Indy? Maybe we did ring the bell but things just didn't work out. You can't automatically blame that on Grigson, you're tottally forgetting there is another side to a deal getting done, and that is the FA himself. Also what's to guarentee those players would have come in and drastically improved our team all the sudden? For all we know they could have come in and gotten injured for the season. 

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Don't lose sight of the cash. First, Luck's deal was still pending, so throwing big money at anyone wouldn't have been prudent. They had to prepare for the possibility of having to tag Luck for a couple years, however remote that possibility was. As it stands, they committed $44m in cash to Luck in 2016.

Sean Smith and Bruce Irvin, to use your example, combine for another $28m cash in 2016. That would have put the Colts near $190m cash. 

I'm not sure either player is worth what they got (Smith was only okay last year, and Irvin had only 5.5 sacks, so let's not assume they would have fixed all our issues), but even if they are, it's easy to spend someone else's money. That $190m cash is very real money that someone has to make available. 

17 minutes ago, krunk said:

He doesn't care if you show him the weak points in his free agent proposals, he just likes to hear how it sounds if we had some guys like that....

I think everyone knows that I've done a lot of cap analysis over the past couple years, in anticipation of the Luck deal and the team's cap standing after. I don't think most other posters have looked at the angles like I have.

I say that just to clarify that I'm not just trying to prove anyone wrong. I think sometimes we just look at the cap figures and say 'we have the cap space, why don't we do this?' When in reality, the cap space is just the accounting figure, and there are other real life considerations, like cash. And cash is King, as we all know.

The Colts probably could have added a big ticket defender if they really wanted to, but I think they shied away because Luck's deal was still pending and they didn't know exactly what it was going to take to get it done. They erred on the side of caution.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I think everyone knows that I've done a lot of cap analysis over the past couple years, in anticipation of the Luck deal and the team's cap standing after. I don't think most other posters have looked at the angles like I have.

I say that just to clarify that I'm not just trying to prove anyone wrong. I think sometimes we just look at the cap figures and say 'we have the cap space, why don't we do this?' When in reality, the cap space is just the accounting figure, and there are other real life considerations, like cash. And cash is King, as we all know.

The Colts probably could have added a big ticket defender if they really wanted to, but I think they shied away because Luck's deal was still pending and they didn't know exactly what it was going to take to get it done. They erred on the side of caution.

Oh I'm with your line of thinking.  Colts 449 gets excited about getting what he deems to be good players a lot and that's cool, but we can't just go out and sign this and that guy at the drop of a hat.  Financially speaking it's not that simple in most cases.  There's short and long term ramifications to this stuff as you say.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

I know you weren't trying to show him up or disprove him.  Just shedding light on some of the issues.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Don't lose sight of the cash. First, Luck's deal was still pending, so throwing big money at anyone wouldn't have been prudent. They had to prepare for the possibility of having to tag Luck for a couple years, however remote that possibility was. As it stands, they committed $44m in cash to Luck in 2016.

Sean Smith and Bruce Irvin, to use your example, combine for another $28m cash in 2016. That would have put the Colts near $190m cash. 

I'm not sure either player is worth what they got (Smith was only okay last year, and Irvin had only 5.5 sacks, so let's not assume they would have fixed all our issues), but even if they are, it's easy to spend someone else's money. That $190m cash is very real money that someone has to make available. 

I feel you Supe. But as for Bruce Irvin. I think in our scheme he would have blown up. He was getting 5-6 sacks a year dropping back in coverage half the time instead of going forward as an OLB in Seattle's 43 scheme. When he played DE his rookie year he had like 8 sacks, and he wasn't starting every game. I think he's going to be big in Oakland this year. I thought he would be a really good signing personally.

3 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

We cant make guys sign here..Lots of teams wanted those guys..Im sure we tried..Patrick Robinson was a good sign at a bargain price..Id rather not overpay unless  we are literally a player or 2 from a Super Bowl..Build through the draft,  and be smart in FA , look for young guys who may be stuck in the wrong system, or hungry vets with tread left on the tire at bargain prices..I used to want every big name free agent, but it never seems to work out in most cases, and gets you in cap trouble..Look at Miami as a prime example..

2 hours ago, weslo1812 said:

Where is their a guarantee we would have signed those guys? Do we know whether they were even really interested in Indy? Maybe we did ring the bell but things just didn't work out. You can't automatically blame that on Grigson, you're tottally forgetting there is another side to a deal getting done, and that is the FA himself. Also what's to guarentee those players would have come in and drastically improved our team all the sudden? For all we know they could have come in and gotten injured for the season. 

Yeah. A player does decide where he wants to sign. We all know this......But. A lot of posters say this over and over. How do you know we didn't try to sign this guy or that guy, and he just didn't want to sign here. Year after year same responses. Its like some think NO big time players want to sign here. I just don't think we ever even reach out to the top tier guys because if we did we would have landed 1-2 by now. After 5 off seasons. The fact is we could have signed some really good players. And yeah. Maybe say....Sean Smith would have wanted to go to Oakland anyway. But out of Smith, Jenkins, Irvin, and about 4-5 more we could have landed 1-2.

Sharpe probably feels that taking on authority figures will earn him some street/social media cred.  Next he'll be joining Kaep on the National Anthem, and maybe start criticizing police, which are two more examples of lifting yourself up by attacking authority or tradition.  

Its better than trying to find something intelligent to say or do, then failing miserably because you're not intelligent.

I think he already bashed the powerful and rich commissioner, Goodell, when that was CREDible to do so.  But bashing Colts management is sort of old news...you're behind the times now Shannon.   

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Yeah, and if my aunt had a set she would be my uncle.

39 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Yeah. A player does decide where he wants to sign. We all know this......But. A lot of posters say this over and over. How do you know we didn't try to sign this guy or that guy, and he just didn't want to sign here. Year after year same responses. Its like some think NO big time players want to sign here. I just don't think we ever even reach out to the top tier guys because if we did we would have landed 1-2 by now. After 5 off seasons. The fact is we could have signed some really good players. And yeah. Maybe say....Sean Smith would have wanted to go to Oakland anyway. But out of Smith, Jenkins, Irvin, and about 4-5 more we could have landed 1-2.

For every DeMarcus Ware success story there are 10 examples such as:Suh,Mike Wallace,Haynesworth,Hardy, Andre Johnson, Corey Simon, etc, etc, ect...Then u cut them in a few years and take a huge cap hit...The really good difference makers are usually franchised or only have a year or two left..

37 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

For every DeMarcus Ware success story there are 10 Suhs, Mike Wallaces, Haynesworths, Hardys, Andre Johnsons etc, etc, ect...Then u cut them in a few years and take a huge cap hit...The really good difference makers are usually franchised or only have a year or two left..

I agree with your premise, but, Suh has played well for Mia.