Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shannon Sharpe is killing Grigson and Irsay this morning

YourNextGM

47 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

J'Ville doesn't just have the kind of defensive players the MEDIA loves....

They have the kind of defensive players that the NFL and all COACHES love as well.

That's a nasty looking defense they're building there.     I'm not looking forward to playing them.

I think they will be better this season but I have to be honest they don't scare me much. I see them as an 8-8 team (I have us at 10-6) and they will lose on opening day IMO vs the Packers. Eventhough I am not sold on Brock, the Texans still scare me more than the Jags because of their Defense/Watt and Brock is a slight upgrade at QB compared to what they have had.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

J'Ville doesn't just have the kind of defensive players the MEDIA loves....

They have the kind of defensive players that the NFL and all COACHES love as well.

That's a nasty looking defense they're building there.     I'm not looking forward to playing them.

Agreed.  My point is that coaches need great QB play to win consistently and that is more important than having a great defense.  Bortles will have to outplay his contract if J'Ville is going to get anywhere this year.   Just like Seattle won when Wilson outplayed his rookie third round contract.  But a good portion of the audience likes the toughness and intimidation element to a team, so that will be given more attention than it deserves, IMO.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think they will be better this season but I have to be honest they don't scare me much. I see them as an 8-8 team (I have us at 10-6) and they will lose on opening day IMO vs the Packers. Eventhough I am not sold on Brock, the Texans still scare me more than the Jags because of their Defense/Watt and Brock is a slight upgrade at QB compared to what they have had.

Doug.....    that's what I have too...

Colts:   10-6

Houston:   9-7

J'Ville:      8-8

Tenn:       7-9

That said,   I think things are so close that almost nothing would surprise me this year.     I think the other three teams are very much improved.       So,  I think it's possible for the Colts not to win this division.    Of all the Luck years,   I think this one will be the most fascinating to watch.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That said,   I think things are so close that almost nothing would surprise me this year.     I think the other three teams are very much improved.       So,  I think it's possible for the Colts not to win this division.    Of all the Luck years,   I think this one will be the most fascinating to watch.

I am looking forward to the competition in the Division. This season will be real interesting and it is tough to predict. A lot of it comes to down to health and winning the Division games. This season has many Colts fans on pins and needles for good reason. I have it:

Colts 10-6

Texans 9-7

Jags 8-8

Titans 6-10

-Almost identical to your projections.

10 hours ago, krunk said:

Those guys have kind of quieted down a little bit since Reggie Wayne joined the show. I think I saw Brandon Stokely on the crew too. To me at times it seems Reggie even talks a little trash on occasion, which makes me laugh! He said the AFC South still looks a little weak. He was asked what about the Jaguars and he looked at the questioner funny then proceeded to call them a Paper Tiger. Didn't use those words exactly but he did say they mostly look good on paper. Said if we keep Luck upright we will win the South.

Yes, I do agree that Reggie & Brandon will give NFL Network some much needed push back on the status of INDY as a franchise. I just hope that neither one plays nice with "Prime Time" & "The Playmaker." 

I will give Joe Philbin a season to prove his value to our club. I owe him that much. Shannon is a reasonable guy. He's not just looking for ratings like Skip always is. 

7 hours ago, Everyone said:

For anyone that does care to see the turd show

Thanks for posting this video & providing much needed context E1. I appreciate it. 

Why does Skip hold Andrew accountable for a label 'Andrew Lock' for a designation he [Skip] coined all by himself? Andrew has never once said he's destined for a HOF NFL career. 

I do like what Sharpe said though. Luck's gotta make better decisions at this juncture in his career, he can't keep getting hit so much, our GM made a mistake in focusing on WR weapons so much; & we only go as far as a healthy Luck takes us as a franchise. All that is 100% accurate. Chud should go a long way in releasing the ball quicker, giving Chewy easy completions early in games to establish a rhythm, but we need to win on 1st down more maybe using more TE slants & RB screens out of the flat I don't know. 

Here's what I find so hilarious about Skip: He crucifies Luck at every turn like a cursed voodoo doll, but he'll make every excuse under the sun for why RG3 got railroaded in his eyes. LOL! Nice double standard there Bayless. Please...

Shannon however, knows exactly what in the hades he's talking about though. If Andrew keeps getting hurt we're screwed & all the talent in world won't matter 1 bit if Chewy is always on his back, rushed, & has no clean pocket to work from. Facts are facts. I'm not happy about this but it's still a huge problem & if we can't give Luck time to survey secondaries, it's over before it even starts. 

14 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Thanks for posting this video & providing much needed context E1. I appreciate it. 

Why does Skip hold Andrew accountable for a label 'Andrew Lock' for a designation he [Skip] coined all by himself? Andrew has never once said he's destined for a HOF NFL career. 

I do like what Sharpe said though. Luck's gotta make better decisions at this juncture in his career, he can't keep getting hit so much, our GM made a mistake in focusing on WR weapons so much; & we only go as far as a healthy Luck takes us as a franchise. All that is 100% accurate. Chud should go a long way in releasing the ball quicker, giving Chewy easy completions early in games to establish a rhythm, but we need to win on 1st down more maybe using more TE slants & RB screens out of the flat I don't know. 

Here's what I find so hilarious about Skip: He crucifies Luck at every turn like a cursed voodoo doll, but he'll make every excuse under the sun for why RG3 got railroaded in his eyes. LOL! Nice double standard there Bayless. Please...

Shannon however, knows exactly what in the hades he's talking about though. If Andrew keeps getting hurt we're screwed & all the talent in world won't matter 1 bit if Chewy is always on his back, rushed, & has no clean pocket to work from. Facts are facts. I'm not happy about this but it's still a huge problem & if we can't give Luck time to survey secondaries, it's over before it even starts. 

I see Skip is still comical. Same ol Skip.

21 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Don't waste your time with Skip.  He's a very intelligent man who says stupid % to make money.

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yup.    You summed Skippy up in one single sentence.

Well done!      :thmup:

Bottomline with Skip is, just bring up Andrew Luck vs RG3 and compare their career's. It may make him whine and crawl into a corner. Luck is 38-23, RG3 14-22 record wise as a starter. Statistically it's not even close so I wont even Post those numbers as Skip would really whine. The FACTS are so overwhelming that Andrew has been the right choice in that 2012 Draft. RG3 couldn't even last in Washington and now is playing for a different team. Andrew is the corner stone of a team that drafted him and the main reason why his team has won.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Curious     can you give a breakdown of which teams you have Us, Houston Jax and Tenn losing to?

That is for everyone making a prediction    I like to see how you come up with your predictions

41 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Curious     can you give a breakdown of which teams you have Us, Houston Jax and Tenn losing to?

That is for everyone making a prediction    I like to see how you come up with your predictions

CF....

Honestly,  I have not gone through game-by-game with each team to do a breakdown.

I'm basically going by "feel"....     The Colts feel like a 10-6 team.    The Texans like a 9-7 team,  and so on.

Not trying to be evasive here.....    but that's why I added that the division feels extremely close this year and that nothing would surprise me.      I'm willing to say expect the unexpected this year.      I think the division is extremely competitive this year top to bottom.      

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

Agreed.  My point is that coaches need great QB play to win consistently and that is more important than having a great defense.  Bortles will have to outplay his contract if J'Ville is going to get anywhere this year.   Just like Seattle won when Wilson outplayed his rookie third round contract.  But a good portion of the audience likes the toughness and intimidation element to a team, so that will be given more attention than it deserves, IMO.

Luck- 8196 yards passing his first 2 years 46 TD's 27 ints

Bortles-7336 46 td's 35 int's his first two years. That's with Bortles missing two games

The real issue is that O Line is still a mess......Its worse than ours has been

2 hours ago, Gavin said:

Bortles-7336 46 td's 35 int's his first two years. That's with Bortles missing two games

Yep, same player /s

I guess I could ask one simple question...

Does anyone really have that much confidence in Pagano and Grigson compared to some of their peers?  Do you go into each game thinking we have a huge edge in coaching and player personal moves?

I don't.  In fact quite the opposite.  I see the Colts as being near the bottom of the league in those areas.  

And I think the majority of people around the NFL feel the same.  So if that is the case?  Why keep them?  Get someone in here who you do feel confident about.  It wasn't until we got Dungy that I had that feeling we were always a prepared and well coached team.   And Polian, for all of his faults, was still one of the best.  

I am not a huge believer (yet) in Luck and his 'greatness', but for those that do believe?  We are wasting his years of Prime play.

6 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I guess I could ask one simple question...

Does anyone really have that much confidence in Pagano and Grigson compared to some of their peers?  Do you go into each game thinking we have a huge edge in coaching and player personal moves?

I don't.  In fact quite the opposite.  I see the Colts as being near the bottom of the league in those areas.  

And I think the majority of people around the NFL feel the same.  So if that is the case?  Why keep them?  Get someone in here who you do feel confident about.  It wasn't until we got Dungy that I had that feeling we were always a prepared and well coached team.   And Polian, for all of his faults, was still one of the best.  

I am not a huge believer (yet) in Luck and his 'greatness', but for those that do believe?  We are wasting his years of Prime play.

I think Irasy answered yes to that question. If you owned the team you could have fired Grig's and Pagano then traded Luck. 

I have but one question If you don't believe in the team what are you doing here? 

2 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I think Irasy answered yes to that question. If you owned the team you could have fired Grig's and Pagano then traded Luck. 

I have but one question If you don't believe in the team what are you doing here? 

i have been a Colts fan since I could walk.  Through all the bad teams of the 80s and 90s and everything in between.  That doesn't mean I blinded.

4 hours ago, Gavin said:

List the wins and losses between the 2 QB's, Luck steps up in the 4th Qtr, many don't.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

List the wins and losses between the 2 QB's, Luck steps up in the 4th Qtr, many don't.

Wins are a team accomplishment. Has Luck been the biggest reason we have won like we have since he has been drafted? Of course but its been shown we can win with an average QB . All I am saying is that as good as Luck can be he can be just as bad. Bortles is closer to him then people want to admit. Particularly once you realize the Jags O Line has been WORSE than the Colts and the Jags has been worse every year but 1 since 2012

Shannon Sharpe was a great player. One of the TE's that tranformed the position but as an analyst and TV personality I never liked him. He has a big mouth, quite literally and he would fit right in as a professional wrestler. Im sure one of the reasons he is an anylist is because he likes to run his mouth and say inflammatory things that stir the pot.

1 hour ago, ThatOneColtFan said:

I really don't get the outrage.

Skip said some really dumb things as usual (like standing by RG3>>>Luck). But I think a lot of the criticism was warranted.

It's not a question if the criticism was/is/will be warranted or not. It's just a matter of it being criticism.

21 hours ago, BOTT said:

Don't waste your time with Skip.  He's a very intelligent man who says stupid % to make money.

I've said it before & I'll say it again: I watch Skip because it gives me a window into how so many of my misguided relatives think about elections around the holidays & what darn fools they are thinking the "wall' candidate has any meaningful solutions to serious problems we face in the 21st Century, which of course he doesn't.  Enough said. 

“I think being brutally honest doesn’t mean demeaning somebody out on the field. It doesn’t mean challenging somebody in front of their peers. Because you’re not going to get anywhere doing that. What you do is pull a guy behind closed doors. Or you whisper in someone’s ear. You’re going to get a lot further along with that guy. You can turn the volume up in front of everybody and try it that way, but it ain’t going to work.”

In other words, don't expect Pagano to rail against his players in public as many seem to want him to do.

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Over 100 comments about an ex football player who just talks to hear himself run his mouth.

I don't see why anyone would have someone who don't even know how to speak get paid to speak.

He cant even put together two sentences that would pass a test in any English class.

Really? Shannon Sharpe was a great player and has been fairly successful in his life after football. I don't agree with everything he says, and don't go to him for anything having to do with football analysis or news because there are much better guys out there. But the overreaction here is a bit extreme. 

Nothing he said is all that bad, I've heard a number of other talking heads echo the same things about the Colts and Luck. Irsay isn't an angel and should be subjected to criticism whenever he pulls off some petty stunts. Grigson hasn't been that good of a GM either... if you're gonna have the good gotta have the bad as well. Luck and this team have a lot to prove this year, and no one is giving them a chance or the benefit of the doubt.

2 hours ago, ThatOneColtFan said:

Really? Shannon Sharpe was a great player and has been fairly successful in his life after football. I don't agree with everything he says, and don't go to him for anything having to do with football analysis or news because there are much better guys out there. But the overreaction here is a bit extreme. 

Nothing he said is all that bad, I've heard a number of other talking heads echo the same things about the Colts and Luck. Irsay isn't an angel and should be subjected to criticism whenever he pulls off some petty stunts. Grigson hasn't been that good of a GM either... if you're gonna have the good gotta have the bad as well. Luck and this team have a lot to prove this year, and no one is giving them a chance or the benefit of the doubt.

So make me a list of GMs who have done a better job than Grigson has done in their first 4 years. Say what you want Grigson has made his mistakes just like every other GM in the league but he is not near as bad as you or anyone else makes him out to be. You speak of the good and bad but then harp on the bad with you comment about how bad Grigson has been. It's easy to sit behind your screen and judge when you refuse to acknowledge the positive that has been done.

As far as Sharp is concerned he might have been a great player but that don't mean he is a good announcer. That is nothing but opinion and that is different from person to person. My opinion is he is not a good announcer. With that being said he is far from the only one who is not good at their job. I watch very little ESPN or NFL because it is not about sports anymore, it's about face time and who can come up with the next catchy phrase.

On 9/7/2016 at 0:42 PM, COLTS449 said:

Yeah. A player does decide where he wants to sign. We all know this......But. A lot of posters say this over and over. How do you know we didn't try to sign this guy or that guy, and he just didn't want to sign here. Year after year same responses. Its like some think NO big time players want to sign here. I just don't think we ever even reach out to the top tier guys because if we did we would have landed 1-2 by now. After 5 off seasons. The fact is we could have signed some really good players. And yeah. Maybe say....Sean Smith would have wanted to go to Oakland anyway. But out of Smith, Jenkins, Irvin, and about 4-5 more we could have landed 1-2.

So do you have proof showing they made no attempt to sign those guys?  And it's also no gaurentee that they would have came in and been "good" for us. We wouldn't know that truthfully till they were to strap up and play for us. So it would have been no guarentee by any stretch. The one fact is that we don't know who all they reached out too and had talks with and all of that. That's it!!! But I don't get how you can make these claims like you seem to know we could have signed this guy and that guy, and we didn't only because we didn't try? Where is the proof, please?

4 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

So do you have proof showing they made no attempt to sign those guys?  And it's also no gaurentee that they would have came in and been "good" for us. We wouldn't know that truthfully till they were to strap up and play for us. So it would have been no guarentee by any stretch. The one fact is that we don't know who all they reached out too and had talks with and all of that. That's it!!! But I don't get how you can make these claims like you seem to know we could have signed this guy and that guy, and we didn't only because we didn't try? Where is the proof, please?

Bottom line is its griggs job to bring in the players the team needs. Even if he did try to bring in top talent, which I doubt, but even if he did HE FAILED.

That is the Bottom line.

If he cant bring in talent, we need to bring a GM who can.

On 9/8/2016 at 11:01 AM, Everyone said:

For anyone that does care to see the turd show

Why would Fox Sports 1 make a debate show with two of the most dislikable sports analysts in the country? I couldn't understand what Shannon was saying and Skip was just painfully biased against Luck.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 2:42 PM, COLTS449 said:

Yeah. A player does decide where he wants to sign. We all know this......But. A lot of posters say this over and over. How do you know we didn't try to sign this guy or that guy, and he just didn't want to sign here. Year after year same responses. Its like some think NO big time players want to sign here. I just don't think we ever even reach out to the top tier guys because if we did we would have landed 1-2 by now. After 5 off seasons. The fact is we could have signed some really good players. And yeah. Maybe say....Sean Smith would have wanted to go to Oakland anyway. But out of Smith, Jenkins, Irvin, and about 4-5 more we could have landed 1-2.

You mean this Sean Smith?  Yeah he did real good yesterday. LOL

raiders-35.png  Raiders | Sean Smith benched in Week 1    Mon Sep 12, 01:03 PM

Oakland Raiders CB Sean Smith was benched midway through the third quarter of his team's Week 1 win against the New Orleans Saints after failing to get a bump on WR Brandin Cooks and getting burnt on his 98-yard touchdown catch.

Link to story
Sean Smith player page
Brandin Cooks player page