Dustin

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Jason_S said:

That was me...or I was at least one of the ones who said that.  And to be fair, Werner hadn't been cut yet when I posted that. :P

Yes haha.  And I'm certainly not trying to take a shot at you because there were others defending the retention of Cole.  Just wondering how people interpret the two moves together.  Why keep one guy with a huge cap hit who doesn't provide pass rush, and release a younger guy who has a much smaller cap hit and provides no pass rush?

30 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

I think we kept Cole so we could release Werner. We had the intention of getting rid of Werner this whole time, but if we got rid of Cole, we'd have to keep Werner because we can't get rid of everybody. Werner was basically inactive for half the season. It was time for him to go.

I'd rather give some free agents and rookies a shot with the reps Cole and Werner would have had than to keep Cole.  With what we could have said cutting Cole and Werner, we could probably have signed a Derrick Shelby and Nigel Bradham.  I'm not saying those guys are going to set the world on fire with their pass rush, but it would be more worth it to give them a shot after you saw first hand what Cole and Werner gave you.

Bottom line go back to preseason his first year and look at most games he played.  He was lazy, out of shape and quit on plays.  Then you have big linemen like Parry and Anderson that are running and chasing people down across the field.  I was hoping he would pan out but it was clear to me he lacked in the urgency department.  On the flip side, Cole risk/reward much hire and makes sense to keep him at his salary with most likely incentive bonus attached.

15 minutes ago, Shepman said:

Bottom line go back to preseason his first year and look at most games he played.  He was lazy, out of shape and quit on plays.  

good lord..he was not lazy and out of shape.  He was learning a new defense and 2 new positions.

10 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Because surely Grigson didn't pick a bad player. We simply misused him! 

A little dissapointed, I thought we weren't supposed to judge players for like 12 seasons after they were drafted. Not really fair to Werner. 

no response.png

Just sucks that there goes another draft pick down the drain. Can't build squat if we keep missing badly on our higher draft picks or giving them away for underperforming players. 2 out of his 4 first rounders (Richardson, Werner) were so bad they couldn't even stay on the roster as back ups. Good move overall, probably, Werner's release will give us room for someone else to come in and maybe actually play well enough to be active for 16 games. 

1 hour ago, Jason_S said:

good lord..he was not lazy and out of shape.  He was learning a new defense and 2 new positions.

Tape doesn't lie go back and watch. I wanted him to succeed and like the story of his journey.  I hardly ever bash but pointing out the obvious.

2 hours ago, ColtStronger said:

2 failed #1 picks by Grigson (with the Dorsett pick waiting in the wings).  Trent and now Bjoern.  Let's just hope we don't reach for BPA this time around!  Let's actually fill an apparent need and not reach too far this draft!

How do you reach for BPA? That makes zero sense unless I'm reading this wrong. When you draft strictly for need, that's how reaches happen. If you're drafting BPA and end up with a bad pick, that's just a poor big board.

4 hours ago, James said:

A shame it didn't work out. I remember a lot of people here wanted Xavier Rhodes and were skeptical of Werner making the transition and working in a 3-4 defense (I know we run a hybrid, but still). Seems like Grigson can't hit on those 1st rounders (except Andrew of course). That needs to change. It's nice finding the Hiltons and Andersons in the later rounds, but the Grigson needs to nail these 1st rounders from now on!

I was one, and remember many of the others...

Though I was never a fan of Werner, once we picked him, I wanted him to get better and excel.  To prove me wrong.  It is still saddening and it stings a little that he could not do so while here.

Maybe a change of venue and/or scheme can bring out the best he has and he can make it a few more years in the league.

6 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

tumblr_n47d7f7uFv1rt5pgzo1_400.gif

I've often wondered if these cut players visit our forum and look at these topics. Can you imagine Bjoern Werner thinking his legacy with us will be defined by a dancing Fresh Prince of Bel-Air gif?

6 hours ago, James said:

A shame it didn't work out. I remember a lot of people here wanted Xavier Rhodes and were skeptical of Werner making the transition and working in a 3-4 defense (I know we run a hybrid, but still). Seems like Grigson can't hit on those 1st rounders (except Andrew of course). That needs to change. It's nice finding the Hiltons and Andersons in the later rounds, but the Grigson needs to nail these 1st rounders from now on!

Or go the Patriot route and trade out. Grigson seems to excel at later round picks.

7 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

tumblr_n47d7f7uFv1rt5pgzo1_400.gif

I just stare at that graphic like a lava lamp...What the hades do that mean? I have no idea, but it makes a nice substitute for a yo yo. Translation: It's eerily soothing...

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I like music tie ins to roster releases actually...Good luck Werner...Dead weight is dead weight. No way to sugarcoat that. I liked have 2 players from Germany on the same roster though. Oh well, talent remains & everything else must go.

This whole disappointment is a "Harvester Of Sorrow" thing to me actually. Probably my favorite song Lars plays on percussion.  Major bummer when draft picks don't pan out. 

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

Watch out regional combines 2017, here comes Bjoern!

Ouch...I did chuckle at your post though BOTT. I can't lie. That's why I like you man. You have the courage to say what most people would shy away from entirely. 

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah he is funny, he just says what he thinks.

Yep, I really respect forum members who just lay it out on the table & say there it is. It's my POV & I'm not here to win any popularity contest. It's not antagonist just truthful & unvarnished. That takes guts. 

Could've had Travis Fredrick. The Cowboys were smart enough to see the potential in him. Why wasn't a former offensive lineman turned GM????? And the T-Rich trade. Could have had Joel Bitonio with that one. What an OL it could have been huh?

12 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Could've had Travis Fredrick. The Cowboys were smart enough to see the potential in him. Why wasn't a former offensive lineman turned GM????? And the T-Rich trade. Could have had Joel Bitonio with that one. What an OL it could have been huh?

The Cowboys also took Randy Gregory, and Greg Hardy.  Not everyone hits every time.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Everything is obvious in hindsight.....    that's why it's called Monday Morning Quarterbacking....

Same people that cheered the departure of Jerry Hughes are cheering this. This is Grigs fault, drafting a player with a TOTAL of 5 years of football experience to play in a completely new system and expect him to learn on the fly.

3 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

Same people that cheered the departure of Jerry Hughes are cheering this. This is Grigs fault, drafting a player with a TOTAL of 5 years of football experience to play in a completely new system and expect him to learn on the fly.

He's the next marshawn lynch.

This has been pointed out a million times, but Werner played DE here plenty....and he still stunk.  You can't fix slow and unathletic.

What you fail to realize is that at FSU he was a 275-285 pound power rusher. He lost 25/30 pounds to play LB here, so I guess he wouldn't be a good power rusher at his new weight..

My point is, if we wanted an OLB that could rush the passer, either draft one, trade for one or pick another position. Drafting a player that never played that and just "hope" is a dumb GM move..

15 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Because surely Grigson didn't pick a bad player. We simply misused him! 

A little dissapointed, I thought we weren't supposed to judge players for like 12 seasons after they were drafted. Not really fair to Werner. 

I don't think anyone said that did they now... 

33 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Are you saying it's not wise to wait and see on players? 

you mean you dont like how we trash every single move grigson makes then gloat about it years later if it did turn out to be a bad move

if it was a good draft pick or free agent pick up we never speak of it again:sip:

Just now, aaron11 said:

you mean you dont like how we trash every single move grigson makes then gloat about it years later if it did turn out to be a bad move

if it was a good draft pick or free agent pick up we never speak of it again:sip:

I give @Dustin a little more credit than than given his posting record but yes, just because you predict someone will be a bad pick (which in itself is fine, we all project draftees) and they turn out to be bad, doesn't mean giving them at least 2-3 season to fully judge them isn't any less valid.