Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Greg Manusky has been fired

Coltswarriors

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait a minute...I took the totally wrong approach with my last post.

stupid irsay and Pagano freaking grigson firing manusky this is the reason the colts suck and won't succeed I am so done with being a colts fan no freaking more I'm sick blah blah blah ....

did I do that correctly ? :blah: :sarcasm

I snipped this off of: http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/2016/01/nfl-news-cleveland-browns-fire-mike-pettine/

Pettine came into Cleveland touted as a defensive-minded coach who would make the team a physical hard-hitting unit, but the reality has been the exact opposite. The Browns defense has been a disaster in the two seasons under Pettine. Last season, the Browns defense ranked 23rd in total yards allowed and last in rushing yards allowed, but on the bright side, were ninth in fewest points allowed. Many had high hopes for the defense’s development during the last offseason. Despite the hopes of fans and coaches alike, this season the Browns defense went backwards.

Through 15 games, the Browns ranked 26th in total yards allowed, last in rushing yards allowed and 29th in points allowed. All three stats either worsened or stayed the same. There was no sign of improvement from the highest paid defense in the NFL. Even though the offense struggled under his tenure, it was the defense that likely led to his removal as head coach of the Cleveland Browns

• Manusky called the plays but it was Chuck's scheme so let's stop this nonsense. Chuck was ecstatic yesterday and no wonder. How he managed to emerge with clean hands first in his dispute with Grigson and now in passing off the blame for his defense on his lackey Manusky is amazing. Even more amazing is how he has fooled so many fans. Beware the guy with the big smile and the inspirational health story. 

Just now, ColtsBlueFL said:

And that would be....

{Schwartz?}

My short list is Pettine and Horton. I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about candidates beyond those two.

What I would like is an aggressive, versatile coordinator who has the potential to bring something new to the table. I feel like Mike Smith is the same conservative stick in the mud that Pagano is.

57 minutes ago, azcolt said:
  • Manusky called the plays but it was Chuck's scheme so let's stop this nonsense. Chuck was ecstatic yesterday and no wonder. How he managed to emerge with clean hands first in his dispute with Grigson and now in passing off the blame for his defense on his lackey Manusky is amazing. Even more amazing is how he has fooled so many fans. Beware the guy with the big smile and the inspirational health story. 

Oh, speaking of stories, let me tell you about this awkward time when an agenda broke free unrestrained in the middle of a football conversation....

I just have come to realize the team could hire ANYONE for HC, GM, and all positions and someone is going to still * in the wind and complain about it. 

Maybe we should just hire a celebrity like Vin Diesel to fill all these positions...I bet he could play the roles well enough. 

I wish that madden franchise mode still had the option to fire coaches and hire your assistants and stuff....I bet a lot of the whiners on here could be so much happier cause they could boot up madden and just fire Pagano and hire (oh yeah a crappy unavailable unproven coach in madden with a made up name like Lucas Fultonwhaler).

And those that wanted Manusky gone have gotten their wish.....

Now let's see this defense improve.     And let's see if the team commits to go out and get more talent for that side of the ball.

We'll know more in less than 4 months......     here's hoping.

3 hours ago, adamr said:

I'm not surprised Manuskey was fired.

I actually think his situation is comparable to Chuck's.

I think Jim would have liked to bring someone in with a better resume to replace Pagano. However, he surveyed the landscape and determined Chuck was his best options.

Manuskey? There are candidates out there that the Colts can get with better resumes. Mike Pettine, Ray Horton, Eric Mangini, etc. 

The biggest problem still remains the lack of talent on defense and not the coordinator. I think Manuskey did about as well as you could ask with what he was given but the Colts are going to look to upgrade.

Mangini? No way he sucks

Just heard, we are going to acquire Rob Ryan from the Saints. We have to give up a 3rd rd. pick for him, but it should be good for our defense. Ryan knows what it is like to run a defense without a lot of studs on it.haha

NOT!

This is sarcasm people. Joke, please take it for what it is!

Edited by loudnproudcolt
Understanding

20 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

Just heard, we are going to acquire Rob Ryan from the Saints. We have to give up a 3rd rd. pick for him, but it should be good for our defense. Ryan knows what it is like to run a defense without a lot of studs on it.haha

NOT!

:scratch::nono::facepalm:

24 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

NOT!

But the Beatles derailed Rex' attempt to get his brother on Abbey Road.

RobRyanAbbeyRoad_zpsxmvhf5zh.png

2 hours ago, Superman said:

My short list is Pettine and Horton. I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about candidates beyond those two.

What I would like is an aggressive, versatile coordinator who has the potential to bring something new to the table. I feel like Mike Smith is the same conservative stick in the mud that Pagano is.

"Agressive" ... and I'll add take no prisoners attitude. Hard nosed defensive tactics with LIMITED mistakes each game. Pettine brings that "something new to the table". The Cleveland Browns are NOT the Indianapolis Colts, especially their defensive play-makers.

Hope we get him.

3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Didn't Horton demand to be released in a huff when the Cards chose Arians over him for the HC job?  Didn't Horton leave the Browns as DC with 3 years left on his contract to DC the Titans?  Not a stable or consistent (wasn't that the buzzword last night?) guy, IMHO.

???

The first part is true. Anyone can pick a side on that one, but you have to at least acknowledge his reasoning. And Arians likely would have gotten rid of Horton anyways. Interesting that you would lay that at Horton's feet solely.

The second part is questionable. I guess it's true -- not sure how many years were remaining on his contract -- but that's typical practice. When a team fires the head coach, they usually allow the assistants the freedom to leave if they have other offers, and they allow the incoming head coach to shape the staff as he sees fit. It would be unfair to hold assistants to their contracts while you search for a new head coach, costing them other opportunities, and then let the new head coach fire them a couple weeks later when all the jobs are gone. Unless the team has committed to an assistant, typical practice is to let them interview and leave if they wish. Villifying Horton for leaving the Browns is unfair.

Manusky was overdue to go.  It doesn't matter if it was Pagano's scheme, as a defensive coordinator and an experienced on at that you have to make plays on the defense, and be aggressive....51 points scored by a sucky division team leaves very little confidence on a team.  Hope Manusky finds another gig as long as it's not Indy.....

I'm honestly surprised he made it this far. I never thought he was good in San Diego nor was he good here. Everyone wants to say it's Pagano's scheme but how much of it really was his? Not to mention that Manusky was the one actually calling the defensive plays. But for love the love all good things in the universe, do NOT bring in Rob Ryan.

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

???

The first part is true. Anyone can pick a side on that one, but you have to at least acknowledge his reasoning. And Arians likely would have gotten rid of Horton anyways. Interesting that you would lay that at Horton's feet solely.

The second part is questionable. I guess it's true -- not sure how many years were remaining on his contract -- but that's typical practice. When a team fires the head coach, they usually allow the assistants the freedom to leave if they have other offers, and they allow the incoming head coach to shape the staff as he sees fit. It would be unfair to hold assistants to their contracts while you search for a new head coach, costing them other opportunities, and then let the new head coach fire them a couple weeks later when all the jobs are gone. Unless the team has committed to an assistant, typical practice is to let them interview and leave if they wish. Villifying Horton for leaving the Browns is unfair.

OK, there's always two sides.  But no question he somehow ends up in a position where he was not wanted to be kept twice in short order and bolted, no mater the circumstances. Now Whiz is also let go in TN and his contract is likely expiring there too.  That's now #3. Really odd for him. 

Yet when DC at Browns, there's no denying the 145 points the Browns surrendered in the fourth quarter, and all the defensive meltdowns at the end of the first half and the end of games under his watch.

I'm looking for the silver lining on him, and don't see one.  Sorry.

3 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

OK, there's always two sides.  But no question he somehow ends up in a position where he was not wanted to be kept twice in short order and bolted, no mater the circumstances. Now Whiz is also let go in TN and his contract is likely expiring there too.  That's now #3. Really odd for him. 

Yet when DC at Browns, there's no denying the 145 points the Browns surrendered in the fourth quarter, and all the defensive meltdowns at the end of the first half and the end of games under his watch.

I'm looking for the silver lining on him, and don't see one.  Sorry.

The bolded is a fair criticism.

The rest is the head coach getting fired and his assistants being released, which is typical. Not a reflection of the assistants unless you stretch to make it so. Norv Turner got fired on his own in SD, then got blown out with the Browns staff in 2013. None of that is his fault. Why is it Horton's fault?

4 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Wait a minute...I took the totally wrong approach with my last post.

stupid irsay and Pagano freaking grigson firing manusky this is the reason the colts suck and won't succeed I am so done with being a colts fan no freaking more I'm sick blah blah blah ....

did I do that correctly ? :blah: :sarcasm

You left out the part how Luck is going to leave because of how poorly the team is run.

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

The bolded is a fair criticism.

The rest is the head coach getting fired and his assistants being released, which is typical. Not a reflection of the assistants unless you stretch to make it so. Norv Turner got fired on his own in SD, then got blown out with the Browns staff in 2013. None of that is his fault. Why is it Horton's fault?

Just bad luck he picks bad teams the get HC fired and he has to move on, 3 teams in the last 4 years worth.  Here's his production in that time frame too-

RayHorton_zpss9tan2ja.jpg

Not impressed.  I'd rather have Mike Smith.  And he also has HC experience.

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

But the Beatles derailed Rex' attempt to get his brother on Abbey Road.

RobRyanAbbeyRoad_zpsxmvhf5zh.png

Rob Ryan as a Beatle....No one would ever confuse him for George Harrison the quiet Beatle will they? :P

Plus, if John Lennon was still alive, those 2 rebels would never get along. He'd eat Paul McCartney for breakfast too. 

I'm not clever enough to recognize whether Manusky is an average or good DC given the talent he had to work with, but I think that the significance of Pagano being willing to fire his buddy Manusky cannot be underestimated.

I also got the feeling that he was a bit too forgiving regarding the people he brought in and didn't like to take the unpleasant decisions, but here we are with both the OC and DC getting fired.

I'm pretty darn sure that Irsay warmed up to Pagano's extension when Pagano said that he was willing to try a new DC.

Hopefully we will see a bit more of the tough side of Pagano, and I sincerely think that the organization needed a bit of this shake-up to regain hope of the next season.

I'm not entirely sure that this is result in a markedly better Defense, but the firing will still have a positive collateral effect.

:coltslogo:

I'm not a big fan o Manusky but firing him and keeping Pagano and Grigson is a joke! Beside some washed up and average veterans and maybe 2 key players with Vontae and an aging Mathis Manusky hasn't much talent to work with. The few high draft picks Grigson spent on Defense were busts like Werner. Again keeping Grigson and Pagano and firing him seems like they needed a scapegoat. Colts went from a classy organization into one of the worst in one year. Congratulations Jim!