Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Greg Manusky has been fired

Coltswarriors

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

Now get Mike Pettine in here ASAP!  If not get me Horton

I'd be great with either of those guys.  Something I didn't put together until last night is that Horton was Chud's DC in Cleveland.  However, Horton is also a LeBeau disciple, so would that mean a switch to more zone coverage than man?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, azcolt said:

No one should turn their back on the rival with the big smile. He almost got Grigson but probably realized he needed to promise to be best buds with Grigson to save his own neck. And now he fires his DC, even though Chuck was hired for being a defensive guru so surely Manuskey was only following Chuck's orders. Watch that guy with the big smile. He'll stab you in the back.

I think it was the opposite I think Grigs had to make concessions to keep his job, if you watched the press conference Grigs was not happy.  I would easily have kept Pagano and dumped Grigs so I hope now Pags gets to coach and pick his staff the way a head coach should.  I hope the dysfunction of this season is over and we can on with building a good team.

I'm not surprised Manuskey was fired.

I actually think his situation is comparable to Chuck's.

I think Jim would have liked to bring someone in with a better resume to replace Pagano. However, he surveyed the landscape and determined Chuck was his best options.

Manuskey? There are candidates out there that the Colts can get with better resumes. Mike Pettine, Ray Horton, Eric Mangini, etc. 

The biggest problem still remains the lack of talent on defense and not the coordinator. I think Manuskey did about as well as you could ask with what he was given but the Colts are going to look to upgrade.

21 minutes ago, Mameluc said:

Feels like a scapegoat..I mean i didnt love him or anything but is not like he had tons of talent on the Defense.

They said the same thing about Pep and look how the offense responded. Sometimes people aren't good enough.

Just now, krunk said:

I'll take either one of them!  Mainly I want Pettine, but Horton ain't bad

Same here as both have been successful DC's that run a 3-4.

Pettine has the Baltimore roots with Pagano and had an amazing defense with the Jets, but had a terrible defense in Cleveland. That may have been lack of talent or a poor DC, but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt based on his prior experience.

Horton had a REALLY good defense in Arizona,  but since has had terrible defenses in Cleveland and Tennessee. Again, poor talent to work with?

Awesome. Now if we'll bring in some big time defensive players to go with our new and improved DC then maybe we can at least have a respectable D. If we bring in a big time pass rusher and corner we could potentially have a top 10 defense. But this was the first step. Good move.

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

The Chargers got rid of six assistant coaches yesterday. Pagano wasn't one of them, surprisingly. I'm thinking he's not going anywhere.

Even if he was, I wouldn't want him.

I traveled to Indy for around 3 games in the 99 season. Had a good friend that hooked me up with John Pagano and had 2-3 dinners after or before those games. The last being the lackluster effort on the Tenn playoff loss. No  offense to JP but he's just a guy. Believe me no monster football mind there. So I'm with you on this one.

Just now, dw49 said:

I traveled to Indy for around 3 games in the 99 season. Had a good friend that hooked me up with John Pagano and had 2-3 dinners after or before those games. The last being the lackluster effort on the Tenn playoff loss. No  offense to JP but he's just a guy. Believe me no monster football mind there. So I'm with you on this one.

I don't want him but wouldn't let his performance 16 years ago decide that.

8 minutes ago, ThatOneColtFan said:

Huh, wasn't Pettine awful in Cleve this past year?

Defense was a mess.

He did well as DC of NYJ so I think that's the rationale behind some folks wanting him here in Indy.  

I think it's kind of like the idea that some people are great coordinators but not good head coaches.

6 minutes ago, bababooey said:

just the defense? Cleveland is a pit. See Belichick, Bill

Especially when you have that sorry offense like the Browns do.  That in itself effects the D.

Also Pettine was the not the coordinator in Cleveland, he was the Head Coach which is a bit different.  If he came to Indy he'd be the coordinator himself.

33 minutes ago, Mameluc said:

Feels like a scapegoat..I mean i didnt love him or anything but is not like he had tons of talent on the Defense.

I agree. He didnt have what he needed to succeed. The offense by far underacheived with that talen they had but much of the blame goes to the cracker jack offensive line.

5 minutes ago, bababooey said:

I don't want him but wouldn't let his performance 16 years ago decide that.

No and I'm not talking about performance. He was a defensive assistant back then , so I would have no idea of how he performed. I'm referring to my impressions form sitting down and talking football for a few 2=3 hour sessions. He just didn't strike me as a brilliant football person.

Just now, Pacergeek said:

This organization is such a disaster. An imbecile named Grigson keeps his job, and Manusky gets fired

He's an imbecile but he's OUR imbecile so get used to it. Like Jim said, he's had a better first four years than our last HoF GM.

44 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It was a 3-4 in Buffalo, if I remember right. The 4-3 was in Detroit and Tennessee.

But Mike Pettine would be a great choice as well.

I might be wrong but im almost sure when he was there he was running a 4-3(Buff).

Yea Pettine connection looks obvious.

Regardless of 4-3 3-4 Jim schartz...My top 2 choices are ](in order) Horton and Pettine. However i can see why Ray might be problematic since he seems to come from more of a zone blitz, not man like chucks.

47 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

We need a solid and experienced defensive mind to fill this spot. Now if Chuck who is a defensive minded coach can raise up this defense to the top 15 and our offense returns to the top 5. Now you got something to work with

NO mind in the world can make a team great that doesn't have the talent to support it.

4 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

NO mind in the world can make a team great that doesn't have the talent to support it.

How in the hell was Manusky supposed to succeed when his only first round pick was Bjorn "Bust" Werner? How can any DC succeed without any kind of pass rush? Grigson failed Manusky big time.

40 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

I'd be great with either of those guys.  Something I didn't put together until last night is that Horton was Chud's DC in Cleveland.  However, Horton is also a LeBeau disciple, so would that mean a switch to more zone coverage than man?

Just said something really similar...

Ive been a Horton fan for some time, but i understand the difficulties in messhing Pagano's Man vs Ray Hortons zone blitz scheme.

As big of a fan I am of Horton, I dont think it would be good since I assume Chuck wants Defense to have his print.

Just now, Mameluc said:

Just said something really similar...

Ive been a Horton fan for some time, but i understand the difficulties in messhing Pagano's Man vs Ray Hortons zone blitz scheme.

As big of a fan I am of Horton, I dont think it would be good since I assume Chuck wants Defense to have his print.

that is true, but after posting that question, I remembered that Pagano's first choice for DC was Keith Butler...also a product of Pittsburgh and Dick LeBeau.  So Horton would make sense keeping that in mind.  Maybe Pagano wanted to have someone with a background in zone to complement his own background in man coverage to try to have the best of both?  

54 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think it's going to be Pettine unless Rex Ryan makes a claim on him.  Pagano and Pettine were together in Baltimore. He knows quite a bit about him I'm sure.  Pettine is who I want.

I agree, with Peulla giving rex and whaley a playoff ultimatum about playoffs or fired I could see Rex making a call. Hopefully pettine will come to Indy as it is best possible choice here

5 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

that is true, but after posting that question, I remembered that Pagano's first choice for DC was Keith Butler...also a product of Pittsburgh and Dick LeBeau.  So Horton would make sense keeping that in mind.  Maybe Pagano wanted to have someone with a background in zone to complement his own background in man coverage to try to have the best of both?  

Had completely forgotten about Butler. 

I dont know man I am not a fan of trying out everything because it looks/ sounds cool. I like things to be done with a direction and clear plan. It feels to me(But what the heck do i know since i am just a fan) meshing zone blitz vs his man blitz scheme wouldnt work.

On the other hand Pagano might let his coordinators coach the way they want.So i guess no idea ;)

He could only coach the guys he was given by Grigs ... fact of the matter is our D was no that bad this season - considering what he had to work with he did a pretty darned good job!  

For everyone saying great move - we arent going to get drastically better on D unless we bring in the talent on the field to get drastically better!

58 minutes ago, azcolt said:

No one should turn their back on the rival with the big smile. He almost got Grigson but probably realized he needed to promise to be best buds with Grigson to save his own neck. And now he fires his DC, even though Chuck was hired for being a defensive guru so surely Manuskey was only following Chuck's orders. Watch that guy with the big smile. He'll stab you in the back.

Nonsense.

4 minutes ago, Mameluc said:

Had completely forgotten about Butler. 

I dont know man I am not a fan of trying out everything because it looks/ sounds cool. I like things to be done with a direction and clear plan. It feels to me(But what the heck do i know since i am just a fan) meshing zone blitz vs his man blitz scheme wouldnt work.

On the other hand Pagano might let his coordinators coach the way they want.So i guess no idea ;)

that's true, and I'd considered the same thing.  One of the knocks I always hear about Rob Ryan is that he tries to do too much...sometimes simpler is better.  But Pagano obviously had a reason for wanting Butler at the time so...who knows.  I can't wait to see how this all plays out. :)

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Good move. Time to bring in someone better.

Sorry Manusky, it's been fun, wish you well. 

Yep...sometimes I think we hired the wrong Manusky. Isn't his brother available now too? Changes had to be made...the offense and the defense just wasn't getting better...and if the HC isn't going then well the only way he was staying was to make changes on his staff. Hope we get somebody to light a fire into the defense and also mold some of our young guys into some stars....we need more!

For what it's worth, I think Manusky did a decent job, considering the talent (or lack thereof) in our Defense. But I think Manusky ran too much of a vanilla scheme. And what was up with going into zone coverage late into games? I think Manusky can be a good D Coordinator, just not a GREAT one.

5 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

I knew this was the next personnel move by the Colts and glad to see it was done today. Now we can go get someone well qualified to handle our defense.

If we can't get someone well qualified to be our GM, how do you expect us to find a well qualified person to run the defense?