Greg Manusky has been fired

Coltswarriors

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, gacker65 said:

For those that think Manusky was a fall guy, go back and watch the 2nd half of the Colts/ Pats game.  We ran more Zone Defenses than Man.  Did the same thing through out the season.  IMO, Manusky schemed himself out of a job.

just playing devil's advocate...when your best press man corners (Davis/Toler) are struggling (as both have this year, Toler obviously moreso than Davis, but Davis had a down year also) then switching to playing more zone is pretty much standard operating procedure.  Now, perhaps the CBs were coached as well in terms of playing zone coverage...IDK.  But no team exclusively runs man or zone coverage.  

I don't think Manusky is so much the "fall guy" as it is that, he was definitely not Pagano's first choice and Chuck knows that, while Manusky isn't necessarily bad per se, they could still do better.

21 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

just playing devil's advocate...when your best press man corners (Davis/Toler) are struggling (as both have this year, Toler obviously moreso than Davis, but Davis had a down year also) then switching to playing more zone is pretty much standard operating procedure.  Now, perhaps the CBs were coached as well in terms of playing zone coverage...IDK.  But no team exclusively runs man or zone coverage.  

I don't think Manusky is so much the "fall guy" as it is that, he was definitely not Pagano's first choice and Chuck knows that, while Manusky isn't necessarily bad per se, they could still do better.

I agree with this here!  Manusky wasn't bad nor was he great! I could see on the side lines at times tension between Chuck & Manusky. I think Chuck would like to run a defense more like the one he had in Baltimore, with  more blitz stuff and more confusing to the offense. I saw our defense as pretty vanilla most of the time. On the other hand with the lack of play makers on defense & the lack of production on offense for the Colts Manusky did an OK job IMO with the amount of time the defense had to be on the field. My hope is I would love to see the Colts get a great physically imposing defense I honestly don't remember when the Colts had one!

3 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I agree with this here!  Manusky wasn't bad nor was he great! I could see on the side lines at times tension between Chuck & Manusky. I think Chuck would like to run a defense more like the one he had in Baltimore, with  more blitz stuff and more confusing to the offense. I saw our defense as pretty vanilla most of the time. On the other hand with the lack of play makers on defense & the lack of production on offense for the Colts Manusky did an OK job IMO with the amount of time the defense had to be on the field. My hope is I would love to see the Colts get a great physically imposing defense I honestly don't remember when the Colts had one!

It also seemed like blitzes would never get there and be easily picked up by the offense no matter what theey threw at them. It wasn't until later this year that some of those started to get home.

15 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Just bad luck he picks bad teams the get HC fired and he has to move on, 3 teams in the last 4 years worth.  Here's his production in that time frame too-

RayHorton_zpss9tan2ja.jpg

Not impressed.  I'd rather have Mike Smith.  And he also has HC experience.

I find this to be a bit sensational, to be honest.

He was with the Cardinals for two years, handpicked by Whisenhunt from the Steelers staff. The defense immediately got better. His contributions led to him being strongly considered for the head job when Whisenhunt was fired. The coaching change is not a reflection on Horton.

Mostly everyone agrees that Chudzinski got a raw deal in Cleveland. That coaching change is not a reflection on Horton.

Whisenhunt was again fired in Tennessee. That again was not a reflection on Horton.

If you're not impressed with his defenses, that's a fair criticism (one I don't really agree with; he had a good defense in Arizona, and every other stop has had dysfunction that goes far above any coordinator's head). The fact that he's changed jobs so often in four years is not a fair criticism. A coordinator's fate is tied to that of the head coach.

Horton vs Smith seems to be a moot point now. Looks like Monachino has the inside track.

2 hours ago, Jason_S said:

That's all that really matters, IMO.

22 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

If we can't get someone well qualified to be our GM, how do you expect us to find a well qualified person to run the defense?

Grigson has done pretty good bringing in players. Yes he has made some mistakes but who hasn't...even Bill Bellicheck misses. Guy drafted both our starting receivers in the 3rd rd...one a pro bowler...traded for another pro bowl corner in Davis....brought in solid leaders on defense like DQ, Redding, Adams, Langford....found Freeman in a dumpster in Canada...drafted Perry and Anderson who both look promising. Granted he hasn't done much for our OL but Gore was a solid addition and Mewhart looks solid. Sure he has whiffed on a couple guys (Richardson and Werner and Landry) he brought back Reggie and Robert at reasonable club prices...he needs to hit on some more talent but he hasn't crashed and burned. We aren't Cleveland or Tennessee or Miami or some other dumpster fires. He hasn't done an awesome job but I don't think he deserves to be fired either...and there is no reason we can't find some good coaches to help this team out.

On January 5, 2016 at 3:25 PM, ThatOneColtFan said:

You think we should go back to a 4-3?

If you look a Buffalos personnel, I think they have the type of players suited for both systems, 34 and 43. Eg Jerry Hughes, Mario Williams. Their stud Dt can play both too. Our D already run Hybrid. I'm just asking for an interview to see if his philosophy could work here. Maybe, and I'm just throwing it out there, Schwatz can run Hybrid. I like the 34, but I really just want a better D. Schwartz has HC experience and I think he knows a thing or two. I'm on board for giving Chuck a strong experienced coaching team to work with. This is a playoff caliber team, I think if we get a D that's top 15 in sacks, and turnovers we can do a lot next year.

I'm not too upset with this firing since Pagano should hopefully be more hands on with the defense from now on. Pagano should find a DC who works well with him by bouncing schemes and ideas with each other to put the defensive players in the best position to succeed. 

7 hours ago, Superman said:

I find this to be a bit sensational, to be honest.

He was with the Cardinals for two years, handpicked by Whisenhunt from the Steelers staff. The defense immediately got better. His contributions led to him being strongly considered for the head job when Whisenhunt was fired. The coaching change is not a reflection on Horton.

Mostly everyone agrees that Chudzinski got a raw deal in Cleveland. That coaching change is not a reflection on Horton.

Whisenhunt was again fired in Tennessee. That again was not a reflection on Horton.

If you're not impressed with his defenses, that's a fair criticism (one I don't really agree with; he had a good defense in Arizona, and every other stop has had dysfunction that goes far above any coordinator's head). The fact that he's changed jobs so often in four years is not a fair criticism. A coordinator's fate is tied to that of the head coach.

Horton vs Smith seems to be a moot point now. Looks like Monachino has the inside track.

His other numbers aren't good and the guy that followed him in Arizona did as well or even better there and is now a HC.

I don't see the attraction.