Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Defense

TKnight24

I can see it now prepare for the run then get toast on the pass.

I would probably some respect for Belichick as a genius football mind if he didn't. They need to show they know that they know they are supposed to keep passes from being completed. (Yes I know, zone coverage, injuries, blah). 

We were around 10th in the league in run defense last year before our Pats game.  I think Belichick and Brady have Manusky's defense figured out, and that's why they've dominated us in the last few years.  Even though the run defense has been pretty good so far this year, I don't think that will intimidate the Pats away from the run game

No NFL team has forced more negative run plays in 2015 than Indy. Is the new-look defensive line ready for the Pats? http://t.co/WjXuLuogdx

— Kevin Bowen (@KBowenColts)

October 15, 2015

No NFL team has forced more negative run plays in 2015 than Indy. Is the new-look defensive line ready for the Pats? http://t.co/WjXuLuogdx

:cheer:

:colts:

Wow! A positive comment! I am impressed. haha

We were around 10th in the league in run defense last year before our Pats game.  I think Belichick and Brady have Manusky's defense figured out, and that's why they've dominated us in the last few years.  Even though the run defense has been pretty good so far this year, I don't think that will intimidate the Pats away from the run game

I also agree that Belichick and Brady have figured out our defensive scheme and know how to exploit it. During an interview with reporters someone asked Belichick about our defense and what is different from last year. Belichick- "I wouldn't say there has been a whole lot of changes in their scheme." He then goes on to say it is basically the same defense as last year, but different personnel. It is pretty much the writing on the wall they have our vanilla defense figured out and they know how to hit our weak spots.

Link: http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Bill-Belichick-Tom-Brady-Talk-Everything-Colts/5c0d15cc-0c54-4a9b-bca2-32614c1c7fab

I think the average fan has our defense figured out. Throw it anywhere in the middle of the field and you should be good for about 10 yards nearly anytime you want it. Gronk may have 150 yards by the half living there. The run game may get shut down but the difference between the Pats coaching plans and ours, the Pats will just put a back in to make you feel like still shutting off the run but come over the middle or flat with short passing games all game long and collect those just like a 4-6 yard run. Our coaches will feel compelled to keep running it into a 14 man box lined with grenades and flashing neon signs saying take the middle pass, it's wide open.

The thing is, they use 6 o-linemen against us, and the O-line coach told media during preseason that they would continue until Indy proves they can stop it.

But IF Indy does stop it, How do you stop their passing game right now which is where we all thought we would be at this time, one of the best in the NFL?

A healthy DB line-up with solid man press is the only way I can see Indy being able to stop this team.  Going Zone like we have the past few weeks (due to injuries) and Brady and Co. is going to eat us alive.  Got to play good man press and hope there is some kind of pass rush....

I think a lot of people under estimate our Defense.  I agree they are not playing lights out, but aren't getting beat bad either.

Run Defense has solid.  Pass Defense has been bad because of playing so much Zone.  IMO, if we go back to playing Man and Press Man more, then we have a good chance of containing Brady.

Just my thoughts

The best defense is a good offense....if the Colts can keep Brady & Company on the bench, the Colts have a chance. I do think the media pundants are underestimating the Colts who are getting better each week. If the Colts can run and dink and dunk, they've got a good chance of winning this game (or at least, making it close).

GO COLTS!!!!

I think the average fan has our defense figured out. Throw it anywhere in the middle of the field and you should be good for about 10 yards nearly anytime you want it. Gronk may have 150 yards by the half living there. The run game may get shut down but the difference between the Pats coaching plans and ours, the Pats will just put a back in to make you feel like still shutting off the run but come over the middle or flat with short passing games all game long and collect those just like a 4-6 yard run. Our coaches will feel compelled to keep running it into a 14 man box lined with grenades and flashing neon signs saying take the middle pass, it's wide open.

I agree!!! And I have a bad feeling we're gonna be all hyped up about stopping the run..stopping the run and the Pats are gonna throw a completely different offensive game plan at us. And that will be much like you described, dink and 7-10 yds over the middle for majority of the night and go on long clock eating drives.

You're not going to completely stop the Patriots.  Go press man and see how the reshuffled O-line works for them.  Snuff the blasted run game and hit Brady some (easy to say).  I think this is the statement game for the DBs.  Hope they're healthy.

Pats will be prepared to do whatever it takes. I cant stand em as a whole but they get prepared and they execute.

You're not going to completely stop the Patriots.  Go press man and see how the reshuffled O-line works for them.  Snuff the blasted run game and hit Brady some (easy to say).  I think this is the statement game for the DBs.  Hope they're healthy.

In order for us to hit Brady we're going to have to blitz because the pass rush hasnt been coming form the DL or the OLB's. That puts a lot of pressure on the DB's. Yes, hope they are healthy

Eh, I think they just find a weak spot and exploit it. We just don't seem to be able to correct it.

There's one play I'm a little bit concerned about that I saw them do against the Cowboys.  I believe the Cowboys were playing nickel or dime defense and the Pats had Blount in the Shotgun package.  They ran Blount a couple of times out of the Shotgun off the edge and he gashed Dallas pretty good with it.   I checked the play off in my head because it's not something I've seen them do before.  Wouldn't be surprised to see them attempt it on Sunday.  We should be fine, but the play stuck with me.

I agree!!! And I have a bad feeling we're gonna be all hyped up about stopping the run..stopping the run and the Pats are gonna throw a completely different offensive game plan at us. And that will be much like you described, dink and 7-10 yds over the middle for majority of the night and go on long clock eating drives.

Its always been about the offense taking leads and allowing the defense to play against a one-dimensional offense.  No turnovers and score TDs.  Defensively, We haven't proven that we can stop the pass.  We have proved that we are pretty good against the run this season.  Belicheck is all about exploiting weakness.  Brady will come out throwing it and try to score early and often.  If we don't stop the pass, Brady will throw it all night long.

Wow I didn't realize this stat!  If I recall they weren't awful against the run last year but the Pats managed to make them look awful?  Hopefully they stop the Pats run and make them one dimensional but they have to come up with some kind of QB pressure in order to have a chance.  I've been very impressed with the run defense so far.

Hopefully this isn't the game where we all learn the name of the Pats 3rd or 4th string RB who runs for 200 yards against our defense.

I do think this team is better equipped to handle the run this season. I think the bigger concern is Brady performing surgery on our secondary when he has all day to throw. Heck, HOYER threw for 300 yards when he didn't even play the 1st quarter last week because we got no pressure on him. I am not even sure it is something that can be fixed. We'll see.

Pats will be prepared to do whatever it takes. I cant stand em as a whole but they get prepared and they execute.

THAT'S IT THAT'S ABSOLUTELY WHAT IT BOILS DOWN TO ..... Execution has been our problem not so much our scheme.. We got out played more than we got out coached.... Bad coaching gives up big plays no doubt, but bad playing gives up 201 yds to PS running back

Its always been about the offense taking leads and allowing the defense to play against a one-dimensional offense. No turnovers and score TDs. Defensively, We haven't proven that we can stop the pass. We have proved that we are pretty good against the run this season. Belicheck is all about exploiting weakness. Brady will come out throwing it and try to score early and often. If we don't stop the pass, Brady will throw it all night long.

In our games against the Pats we have not stopped the run though. Yes prior to we have looked decent or ok at stopping the run but then we face the Pats and it's gone. Which is why I say, knowing this like we do, I feel the Colts are gonna be all hyped and focused to stop the run game but... Pats will come out and throw a completely different game plan using the Pass game and tear us up there. Then middle end of the 3rd qtr they will start pounding it on the ground. Bill is gonna have a master plan, I think we be assured of that. He's gonna find our weakness and exploit it to the max. We better hope we can do the same and go shot for shot.

I found a full replay of the Colts vs Bengals game on youtube and I'm sitting here watching it.  To be honest with you I can see why we took some of the whippings on defense we did even though we played well on other occasions.  We had a number of sub par defensive players along the D Line, ILB and OLB other than Walden and maybe Art Jones.  Then you had the 2 very average to below average safeties in Sergio Brown and Landry.   Couple that with Reggie Wayne who was running on fumes, and a washed up Hakeem Nicks on offense, plus no running game to speak of.  The results we got from the playoffs is about where we should have landed.  

No way you belong in the Super Bowl with that many sub par players.  It's clear to me why we go what we got.

The team we have this year could use a tweak here and there, but there is much more talent than that squad from last year.

If we don't fond the "fountain of pass rush" we will lose by 30

Hardly anybody gets sacks on Brady outside of that Dallas game.  I think it's more important for us to simulate a lot of pressure, send it sometimes and then several other times back out of it at the last minute.  Especially a lot of simulated Double A gap blitz and stuff that gets him to want to dump it off quickly.  We may not have a whole lot of luck getting to him with the front four.  Tackling is extremely important against the Pats.  When he let's it go we have to rally and tackle firmly.

Defense is going to rise up tomorrow night. Colts D has had 9 months of hearing how soft they are- how the Pats can score at will...What??? Colts better come to the table with all guns cocked loaded and an attitude to go with it. NINE MONTHS. Anything, ANYTHING less than a hard fought fight is going to be a letdown IMO. 

I found a full replay of the Colts vs Bengals game on youtube and I'm sitting here watching it.  To be honest with you I can see why we took some of the whippings on defense we did even though we played well on other occasions.  We had a number of sub par defensive players along the D Line, ILB and OLB other than Walden and maybe Art Jones.  Then you had the 2 very average to below average safeties in Sergio Brown and Landry.   Couple that with Reggie Wayne who was running on fumes, and a washed up Hakeem Nicks on offense, plus no running game to speak of.  The results we got from the playoffs is about where we should have landed.  

No way you belong in the Super Bowl with that many sub par players.  It's clear to me why we go what we got.

The team we have this year could use a tweak here and there, but there is much more talent than that squad from last year.

I watched the Denver Playoff game on YouTube just the other night. YouTube has a few full games, great stuff! We played a perfect game in that one. Our Defense was really aggressive in that one and got to Peyton a lot and several stuffs against the run. If we could somehow play Defense like that against the Pats we would be real tough to beat. Andrew played solid as well, making tough key throws in traffic. I think for what we had last season you are right in saying we went as far as we could with what we had. We had no running game, a Reggie on fumes, and Line play on both sides of the ball that was inconsistent. Beating the Broncos and Patriots on the road in backtoback weeks wasn't going to happen. I still would've loved to seen us draw the Ravens here though. This season on paper we are better but haven't played like it yet. In the long run having Gore and Bradshaw should help bigtime but our Line play has to get better on both sides of the ball and Andrew has to get 100% healthy for us to have any shot at making the SB.

I watched the Denver Playoff game on YouTube just the other night. YouTube has a few full games, great stuff! We played a perfect game in that one. Our Defense was really aggressive in that one and got to Peyton a lot and several stuffs against the run. If we could somehow play Defense like that against the Pats we would be real tough to beat. Andrew played solid as well, making tough key throws in traffic. I think for what we had last season you are right in saying we went as far as we could with what we had. We had no running game, a Reggie on fumes, and Line play on both sides of the ball that was inconsistent. Beating the Broncos and Patriots on the road in backtoback weeks wasn't going to happen. I still would've loved to seen us draw the Ravens here though. This season on paper we are better but haven't played like it yet. In the long run having Gore and Bradshaw should help bigtime but our Line play has to get better on both sides of the ball and Andrew has to get 100% healthy for us to have any shot at making the SB.

Now I'm watching 2011 AFC Championship Ravens vs Patriots.  I think this was when Pagano was the D coordinator.

Trying to pay close attention to how they played defense against them.  If I'm not mistaken I think I saw the full game 

from last years Ravens vs Patriots too.

The main thing I saw from the Ravens vs Patriots 2011 AFC championship matchup was the Ravens actually played quite a bit of zone defense. They also had a good mixture of man coverage. When they had to go zone they rallied to the football very fast and made sound tackles. It was clear the intent was to not allow any run after catch. When they went man they made sure the coverage was really tight like how we played against Denver so that the throw would be contested and it would make Brady hesitate before he threw the ball. I also noticed the Ravens were trying to land some really hard hits on them to cause some drops and fumbles. The Patriots offense is such that they are going to score some points on you but holding them to as many field goals as you can along with the occasional 3 and out will put you right where you need to be with the type of offensive personnel we have.