Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So So So Wrong (Wayne In A Patriot Jersey)

CR91

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but its not the same. His contract was up, therefore we didn't re-sign him. Big difference from cutting him.

I know what you're saying, but I think most people feel like he would've signed for the vet minimum to stay another year, and Irsay still told him to take a hike. To some, that's equivalent to cutting him.

I know what you're saying, but I think most people feel like he would've signed for the vet minimum to stay another year, and Irsay still told him to take a hike. To some, that's equivalent to cutting him.

What "most people feel" does not constitute a fact.  We have no idea if Reggie would have signed for Vet minimum to remain with the Colts.

What "most people feel" does not constitute a fact.  We have no idea if Reggie would have signed for Vet minimum to remain with the Colts.

Both Pagano & GM Grigs knew we were going in a different direction from Reggie so I fail to see how your hypothetical situation carries any weight personally. Again, I do understand your sincere sadness though Jason. 

Like I said yesterday, if Wayne was wearing a silver #87 jersey, I'd have a unpleasant reaction to that given is illustrious, Hoosier State career. But, being a new number entirely makes this transition smoother for me. 

If it helps, think of Wayne being leased on the east coast for a year & then Reggie retires, signs a 1 day contract to be honored properly in INDY, & wait patiently for his well deserved yellow jacket. 

I thought this move would devastate & crush me, but if your home base cut you loose, NE is a darn nice place to fall especially when you will still be relevant as a WR & not just fade away on a pathetic squad with no shot at winning. 

to be fair... we took Vinatieri from the Pats, he won them 3 superbowls..

Darius Butler, and Dan Klecko (2 superbowls with pats, 1 with us)... never forget the Klecko

This was one of the best opportunities Wayne will have to win a SB this year, although, I would have chosen the Packers if it was up to me though.

Pats never offered Adam a contract. He went to you as a FA. Same as Reggie.

Would like to know what went on behind closed doors before getting all amped up at Reggie. But wow, what a kick in the groin for it to be the Patriots. All I can think is this scenario-- 4th quarter AFC Champ game--Colts up by 4--Patriots ball at the Colts 10 yard line with 3 seconds left--Brady drops back and throws to a wide open Wayne in the end zone--does he catch it? 

Would like to know what went on behind closed doors before getting all amped up at Reggie. But wow, what a kick in the groin for it to be the Patriots. All I can think is this scenario-- 4th quarter AFC Champ game--Colts up by 4--Patriots ball at the Colts 10 yard line with 3 seconds left--Brady drops back and throws to a wide open Wayne in the end zone--does he catch it? 

Reggie has great hands and he will do everything any player could do to make that catch.

The Pats found another way to give the Colts the finger.. so subtle...LOL   This pains me so much. I still cannot believe the Colts let him go. 

the key is to not be mad about it.  stuff like this happens every year.

i didnt see it as giving them the finger when we signed AV, butler and klecko

The Pats found another way to give the Colts the finger.. so subtle...LOL   This pains me so much. I still cannot believe the Colts let him go. 

Where have you been......???   I have missed you here, and so glad to see you posting again.

Whoa...MCF is that really you? It's been a L-O-N-G time. I saw your avatar & smiled. Nice to have ya back in the fold my friend. You were certainly missed. Welcome back. I hope your family is doing well too. 

Where have you been......???   I have missed you here, and so glad to see you posting again.

My sentiments exactly Gramz. Hopefully, this means MCF will check in more frequently now. SW1 says pull up a chair, stick around, & chat for a while. No more prolonged absences okay. Only teasing! 

Both Pagano & GM Grigs knew we were going in a different direction from Reggie so I fail to see how your hypothetical situation carries any weight personally. Again, I do understand your sincere sadness though Jason. 

Yeah, you're gonna have to help me out here.  What hypothetical situation did I lay out that you say carries no weight?  I did not propose any hypothetical situations.  Steamboat Shaun said that many feel that Reggie would have re-signed with the Colts on a vet minimum contract but the Colts didn't even want him at that.  My point was simply that we have no idea if Reggie would have signed a vet min. contract.  Hell for all we know, they could have offered him a vet min. contract that he turned down.  

Bottom line is we have no idea what went on behind closed doors.  All we know is that Reggie did not sign a new contract with the Colts and therefore became a FA.  Saying he was pushed out the door or told to take a hike was just adding ill intent for dramatic effect because Shaun's * that Reggie is a Patriot now.

davis_pats13_spts.r.jpg

This is what happens when you refuse to acknowledge that your time is up. The player is often both the first and the last person to know that they are done. Deep down they know in their heart but the mind isn't ready to fully accept it until the body actually fails. Sucks to watch legends fade away in obscure uniforms.

Whats the diff?  they refused to let him play one more year

Big difference in how you treat someone like Reggie. Most teams, if not all, go through this very same thing. When to decide when it's the time. Sure, we could have let Reggie play one more year, but it just didn't pan out. The Colts came to that decision and that's that. They could have signed him another year and release him right at the end of training camp? How does that hit a person like Reggie, who's been a career Colt? I have all the love for Reggie so I'm not digging at him, he's one of my all time favorites, but he should be thinking about retiring. I think after the past couple seasons of him being hurt, especially last year he played hurt since training camp, he wants to prove it to himself that he can still play. But whether the Colts have time for that, is the question, and the Pats took a gamble on him. Watch him this year, that's all we are doing and see how he performs.

I hope he doesn't get boo'd.

The order of my sadness for Colts losses...

Edge

Peyton

Reggie

I don't know why Edge was the worst but it was. Maybe because he was the first to go from that Era of Colts players.

Edge was also the last great running back we've had. Besides a year here or there we've struggled pretty bad running the ball most years since he left.

Whoa...MCF is that really you? It's been a L-O-N-G time. I saw your avatar & smiled. Nice to have ya back in the fold my friend. You were certainly missed. Welcome back. I hope your family is doing well too. 

My sentiments exactly Gramz. Hopefully, this means MCF will check in more frequently now. SW1 says pull up a chair, stick around, & chat for a while. No more prolonged absences okay. Only teasing! 

I know.. I gotta check in more often to see your comments and fun posts. And Gramz too! I need my Colts fix for sure. Trying to keep up with my life got crazy there for a bit. A little better now, other than I broke my tail bone 11 weeks ago and am still having problems. Counting on it to get better before I'm jumping up and down too much (how I watch football) Take Care

I know.. I gotta check in more often to see your comments and fun posts. And Gramz too! I need my Colts fix for sure. Trying to keep up with my life got crazy there for a bit. A little better now, other than I broke my tail bone 11 weeks ago and am still having problems. Counting on it to get better before I'm jumping up and down too much (how I watch football) Take Care

Yikes! That sounds awful. Do you have a humorous tale to accompany how you sustained this injury? I'm not trying to sound insensitive here BTW. I'm only saying that sometimes circumstances can occasionally be funny what lead up to the accident initially. My condolences on your behalf. 

Just glad to hear from ya & I hope you feel better soon my friend.  :hat: Stay in touch.

Yeah, you're gonna have to help me out here.  What hypothetical situation did I lay out that you say carries no weight?  I did not propose any hypothetical situations.  Steamboat Shaun said that many feel that Reggie would have re-signed with the Colts on a vet minimum contract but the Colts didn't even want him at that.  My point was simply that we have no idea if Reggie would have signed a vet min. contract.  Hell for all we know, they could have offered him a vet min. contract that he turned down.  

Bottom line is we have no idea what went on behind closed doors.  All we know is that Reggie did not sign a new contract with the Colts and therefore became a FA.  Saying he was pushed out the door or told to take a hike was just adding ill intent for dramatic effect because Shaun's * that Reggie is a Patriot now.

Neither Grigs or Pagano were bringing Reggie back as a WR on the active 53 man roster Jason. We both know that. 87 will always be a beloved icon in INDY sure, but Father Time never loses. 

Reggie wanted 1 more season in the NFL & NE not INDY came calling. It's as simple as that.