Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts hang an AFC Finalist banner

12isthenew18

You think it's just New England talking about this? Check the internet, check the twitter machine...EVERYONE is making fun of you. Even some Colts publications are a little squeamish about it.

The 16-0 banner hangs in the opposite corner of the stadium and is commemorating a historical achievement that had never been done before. I wish it was taken down too, but if you think that is on the same level as a participation banner hanging next to all the others you are off your rocker.

EVERYONE... really now..... Like in EVERYONE thinks NE should have an * ?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they were going to hang one that said "AFC South Champions" I have no problem with changing the words to "Finalist".

Did they hang a AFC North banner in Pittsburgh? What about Carolina hanging a Division Champs banner commemorating their 7-8-1 record? Isn't that worse than what the Colts are doing here?

Pittsburgh did not.

Carolina did not.

My feeling is that Division Championship banners commemorate winning...Finalist banners commemorate losing.

The difference is that this one commemorates a loss...a big one.

Every year a football team has 3 goals:

1. Win the division

2. Win the conference

3. Win the Superbowl

Most teams hang banners to commemorate when one of those goals is achieved...not just 'participating' in the effort to reach it. 

As much as I HATE to agree with a Patriot fan, this post is exactly correct.

EVERYONE... really now..... Like in EVERYONE thinks NE should have an * ?

Exactly like that, yeah. 

But then again I never denied how others view the Patriots...YOU guys are the ones making the claim that it's only Pats fans who are making fun of you for this.

You think it's just New England talking about this? Check the internet, check the twitter machine...EVERYONE is making fun of you. Even some Colts publications are a little squeamish about it.

The 16-0 banner hangs in the opposite corner of the stadium and is commemorating a historical achievement that had never been done before. I wish it was taken down too, but if you think that is on the same level as a participation banner hanging next to all the others you are off your rocker.

It is a commemorating banner just the same. But it's the Patriots so it's OK for you.

It is a commemorating banner just the same. But it's the Patriots so it's OK for you.

It has nothing to do with because it's the Patriots...it has everything to do with the difference. A 16-0 banner is commemorating a historical achievement and a WINS...a lot of them. A Finalist banner is commemorating a LOSS...and a big one at that.

The Patriots don't hang division banners, but the 16-0 banner commemorates the best regular season the league has ever seen. 

Exactly like that, yeah. 

But then again I never denied how others view the Patriots...YOU guys are the ones making the claim that it's only Pats fans who are making fun of you for this.

Now that I've learned what "EVERYONE" means , can you help me with "you guys ?" I never said only Pat fans are "making fun" (geez) of the Colts. There are hundreds of Colt fans on this forum... so what constitutes "you guys ?"

So why am I a "you guys" and I would bet if I look back through this thread I wouldn't find more than a couple posters that made that claim. 

It has nothing to do with because it's the Patriots...it has everything to do with the difference. A 16-0 banner is commemorating a historical achievement and a WINS...a lot of them. A Finalist banner is commemorating a LOSS...and a big one at that.

The Patriots don't hang division banners, but the 16-0 banner commemorates the best regular season the league has ever seen. 

Hmmmm.... 16-0 * vs 14-0. I think I'll take the 14-0. Some of "us guys " don't trust any of the Brady - Belichick years.

Now that I've learned what "EVERYONE" means , can you help me with "you guys ?" I never said only Pat fans are "making fun" (geez) of the Colts. There are hundreds of Colt fans on this forum... so what constitutes "you guys ?"

So why am I a "you guys" and I would bet if I look back through this thread I wouldn't find more than a couple posters that made that claim. 

My apologies, I didn't think you would be confused as to who I responding to...but I made a comment to some one else, you rushed in to defend them and therefor got lumped in with him. That tends to happen on a message board.

My apologies, I didn't think you would be confused as to who I responding to...but I made a comment to some one else, you rushed in to defend them and therefor got lumped in with him. That tends to happen on a message board.

Ok.. I get it. It's just me and that poster. Kind of makes sense.

For the record , I would not have hung that banner. So hopefully this "unlumps" me with those that approve of it.

Pittsburgh did not.

Carolina did not.

My feeling is that Division Championship banners commemorate winning...Finalist banners commemorate losing.

Ah, oh well. I'm not saying I'm glad they put it up there. Just saying I couldn't care less one way or another. People make fun of everything these days, I won't try to stop them. But this is a nonstory in the middle of the offseason.

See this is where it gets stupid. All I am is a fan of a team in the NFL. I, as long as probably every other member of this forum, have 0 effect on what the Colts do with hanging up banners(not that it even matters anyways).

So no, nobody is making fun of me or any other Colts fan directly. Make fun of the organization all you want, but trying to chastise Colts fans for something as pointless as banners being hung up is ridiculous.

Oh no! The Colts hung up a banner saying they were a runner up. I should be embarrassed because I support them! /s

I could care less. I wouldn't hang it but it isn't my team...its Irsay's and HE is the ONLY reason its hanging. I very rarely agree with anything he does...from the tweeting to his interviews and this....but that said I'm not going to get worked up about it. If those do...I would suggest signing a petition to get them taken down. He seems to listen to the fans and perhaps enough signatures would change his mind. Lots more important things going on in the world and even with the Colts than a dumb banner that the owner can look out at and remember he had a good season. If someone wants to start a petition to take them down post a link if its allowed...otherwise I don't get the complaining if your not willing to do something about it.

That must be why the rest of the country is making fun of the Colts right now.

Have some pride! It was one thing back in 1995, and I guess again in 2003 when 'getting to the game' was an achievement. But christ, you have a Superbowl banner and AFC Champions banner up there now! The expectations have changed and the team shouldn't be permanently commemorating their NFL semifinalist appearance.

I would much rather look up at a banner that signifies the accomplishments of that season and what it took to get to the Championship game, even if it didn't end well....then to look up at MULTIPLE banners and think, hmmmm...did we "fairly" earn those?

AND.... I would rather be laughed at by "everyone" for a silly banner, then be discredited and laughed at for being caught cheating, AGAIN.

Not a fan myself.  Seems almost petty.

True. OTOH, there is only one other team in the whole NFL that could hang an AFC finalist banner.  But they would (naturally) rather hang the AFC championship banner instead.  No other team can.  So let all the teams (Patriots) that can hang an AFC Finalist banner throw the first stone.  Just watch your ball boys... I mean back... game 5  ( LOL )

I'm okay with it too. The Colts getting to where they did is something to be proud of regardless of how they went out. Besides, as has already been commented, it's more for the fans.

They hung the first one in 1995.  How many banners did the Colts have in the Hoosier / RCA Dome in 1995?  Once precedent is set, well... 2003 and now 2014.

This offseason has really shown how terrible the fan base of New England is as a whole.... I'm not sure why they are proud of themselves and their team that now continues to have problems from last season and now at the start of this season....

Now I'm not saying it's every Patriot fan. They continue to bash the Colts for anything they decide to do and make a ton of memes ect about them and post plenty of trash about other teams as well when their franchise has been an embarassment to the NFL the past 6 months and continues to be! Patriot fans seem to have some huge heads this offseason more than ever and some kind of feeling of "self-entitlement". It's crazy!

I as a fan of the Colts and the sport I actually respect what other teams do for their fans and their choices they make. I don't like them but I can show respect for them. Obviously there are going to be trolls and every team will have those crazy fans who believe their team can do no wrong and that every other team sucks. It has been by far a huge majority of New England fans since the last offseasons just talking so much trash to the Colts and every team.... They have gotten so defensive after they got caught cheating! I don't really understand their logic!

Who cares if the Colts decided to hang a finalist banner!? Why the heck would Patriot fans care what the Colts are doing!? They seems to be just as obsessed with the Colts as they are the Patriots.

As a Colts fan I don't really care for the banner either!!!! It doesn't matter though. They have done it before. They did make it to the AFC Championship game though and that is an achievement in itself! Seriously it is! I would be proud of my team if they made it the the AFC Championship! It's an impressive feat. Obviously they got beat big but I'm not sure how people can complain about being 1 of 4 teams left in the NFL. I get that it might be saying it's okay to lose but I really don't think it is.... It's saying the Colts made it there which is great! Now time to get that Super Bowl banner!!!!

Don't like the wording on the banner, but it does give me a chance to troll the Pats boards like they do to us on a regular basis.

Pats fans and media are jumping all over this like it's real news.

I understand that their trolling comes from a place of fear, though and I shouldn't let it bother me.

I don't think that they will be able to cheat their way into another SB in the Giselle era.

I'm not a big fan of the banner, but I'm glad that it offers up so many good opportunities to show the world that Patriot fans are the most whiney and indignant in all of sports...

The difference is that this one commemorates a loss...a big one.

Every year a football team has 3 goals:

1. Win the division

2. Win the conference

3. Win the Superbowl

Most teams hang banners to commemorate when one of those goals is achieved...not just 'participating' in the effort to reach it. 

It's showing the players and coaching staff that it's ok to come in second place.

What is this, grade school track where everyone gets a ribbon?

Just stick with the AFC South champs banner.

Precisely, this decision to go with a "Finalist Banner" is not smart & it looks childish. We lost 45-7. All this does is remind me that LeGarrette Blount steamrolled all over INDY & that's the last thing I want to commemorate or celebrate. NE crushed us regardless of air pressure concerns. You don't honor losing & especially losing badly. JMO. 

I'd take it down immediately. JMO. 

Who cares?

That goes for the Colts fans whining (how are you embarrassed by something like this?) and double for the Patriots fans gloating. 

I do actually because close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, nuclear weapons, & yes, special olympics events. You set a horrible precedent when you celebrate failing to seal the deal.

Almost is not the same thing as crossing the finish line all by yourself as a squad. You either do it or you don't. There is no middle ground & there are no exceptions to the rule in this case. JMO.  

I do actually because close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, nuclear weapons, & yes, special olympics events. You set a horrible precedent when you celebrate failing to seal the deal.

Almost is not the same thing as crossing the finish line all by yourself as a squad. You either do it or you don't. There is no middle ground & there are no exceptions to the rule in this case. JMO.  

I disagree, on multiple counts.

First, it's one thing to say you wouldn't do this. It's another to act like it's offensive and embarrassing. 

Second, it's actually a noteworthy accomplishment to get to the AFCCG. Probably not banner worthy, but it's also nothing to sneeze at.