Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts hang an AFC Finalist banner

12isthenew18

I disagree, on multiple counts.

First, it's one thing to say you wouldn't do this. It's another to act like it's offensive and embarrassing. 

Second, it's actually a noteworthy accomplishment to get to the AFCCG. Probably not banner worthy, but it's also nothing to sneeze at.

If the banner posted our season record alone & that's it, I might be inclined to subscribe to the notion that the Colts had a very good season, which I agree they did. However, at the end of the day we lost by a wide margin & the word "Finalist" just screams runner up to me in the AFC & not quite good enough when it mattered most. I respect my Colts & what they accomplished to play in the game to get to the SB sure, but when the dust finally settled, INDY watched the SB at home with 30 other teams. 

If a person gets their caboose kicked on the field by a worthy rival, are they going to hang up a sign that says I can get pulverized with style, dignity, & class? Let's just agree to disagree here Superman. I never gloat when I get schooled or dominated by a tough foe & that's something I never want a constant reminder of which is the only purpose this banner serves to me. If INDY still has work to do to improve, that tells me this banner is premature & nothing to be proud of. 

I respect you Superman, but we will never see eye to eye on this circumstance & that's perfectly fine. Friends don't always agree. 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the banner posted our season record alone & that's it, I might be inclined to subscribe to the notion that the Colts had a very good season, which I agree they did. However, at the end of the day we lost by a wide margin & the word "Finalist" just screams runner up to me in the AFC & not quite good enough when it mattered most. I respect my Colts & what they accomplished to play in the game to get to the SB sure, but when the dust finally settled, INDY watched the SB at home with 30 other teams. 

If a person gets their caboose kicked all the field by a worthy rival, are they going to hang up a sign that says I can get pulverized with style, dignity, & class? Let's just agree to disagree here Superman. I never gloat when I get schooled or dominated by a tough foe & that's something I never want a constant reminder of which is the only purpose this banner serves to me. If INDY still has work to do to improve, that tells me this banner is premature & nothing to be proud of. 

I respect you Superman, but we will never see eye to eye on this circumstance & that's perfectly fine. Friends don't always agree. 

I feel like you think I'm happy about this banner. I'm not; I wouldn't have put it up. 

However, like I said, I'm neither embarrassed by it, nor do I think there's anything wrong with acknowledging that reaching the conference title game is an accomplishment. Just because it isn't the ultimate accomplishment doesn't mean it should be marginalized. And hanging a banner is hardly gloating.

I'd love to hear a Broncos fan or a Bengals fan make fun of the Colts because of this banner.

I feel like you think I'm happy about this banner. I'm not; I wouldn't have put it up. 

However, like I said, I'm neither embarrassed by it, nor do I think there's anything wrong with acknowledging that reaching the conference title game is an accomplishment. Just because it isn't the ultimate accomplishment doesn't mean it should be marginalized. And hanging a banner is hardly gloating.

I'd love to hear a Broncos fan or a Bengals fan make fun of the Colts because of this banner.

Ok I get it...it was an achievement just getting there and you want to celebrate the fact that you had a good season by commemorating it with a banner.

So why stop there? There is much more to celebrate than just 'participating in' the AFCCG. Isn't it considered a 'good season' if you secure a bye? Are we one day going look up and see a '1st Round Bye' banner? Wouldn't you laugh if a team decided to hang a 'Playoff Berth' banner up in its rafters? I remember a while back everyone on this board was going on and on making fun of the Jaguars for there Wildcard Winners shirts. What's the difference?

Almost every university hangs a FINAL FOUR banner. I don't see how this is any different. Total Non story.

That's because reaching the Final Four is essentially like winning the Conference Title game...when a team reaches the Final Four it means they have won their region. Hanging an AFC Finalist banner is more like seeing a 'Elite 8' banner hanging in a stadium.

Look, no one is saying the Colts had a bad season...other teams fans aren't making fun of the Colts for losing the AFCCG, they are making fun of the Colts for raising what is typically a championship banner for simply participating in the game. 

I could care less. I wouldn't hang it but it isn't my team...its Irsay's and HE is the ONLY reason its hanging. I very rarely agree with anything he does...from the tweeting to his interviews and this....but that said I'm not going to get worked up about it. If those do...I would suggest signing a petition to get them taken down. He seems to listen to the fans and perhaps enough signatures would change his mind. Lots more important things going on in the world and even with the Colts than a dumb banner that the owner can look out at and remember he had a good season. If someone wants to start a petition to take them down post a link if its allowed...otherwise I don't get the complaining if your not willing to do something about it.

Jim is a very entertaining & fascinating guy dgb & you're probably right Irsay could very well be the driving force behind the new banner. He can do whatever his heart desires. 

"If someone wants to start a petition to take them down post a link if its allowed...otherwise I don't get the complaining if your not willing to do something about it." 

So, the ball is in my court eh? LOL! I really detest anything requiring additional paperwork man. Just Kidding! It still bothers me, but I'll learn to ignore it overtime I guess. Thanks for making me chuckle.  :hat:

No, I didn't think you liked the new banner Superman. I just figured you were trying to see the glass half full while I refused to even acknowledge that there was even a glass there. It's not a question of marginalizing a loss. No, it's more like the illusion this banner falsely creates like we won something during the Championship Game that we actually didn't. Most people hang up a banner to highlight a remarkable feat yes?

It's not enough to just get there. "You play to win the game. You don't just play it to play it." --Herm Edwards former NY Jets HC.  

I get where you're coming from Superman. We're cool. 

Ok I get it...it was an achievement just getting there and you want to celebrate the fact that you had a good season by commemorating it with a banner.

So why stop there? There is much more to celebrate than just 'participating in' the AFCCG. Isn't it considered a 'good season' if you secure a bye? Are we one day going look up and see a '1st Round Bye' banner? Wouldn't you laugh if a team decided to hang a 'Playoff Berth' banner up in its rafters? I remember a while back everyone on this board was going on and on making fun of the Jaguars for there Wildcard Winners shirts. What's the difference?

When did the Jaguars last win a wild card game? I don't remember these shirts, or the discussion, but I bet the fun making was about the fact that the Jaguars are historically bad, and that was probably the last time for awhile that they'd be able to celebrate anything... that's not the case with the Colts.

You're asking me to defend something that I wouldn't have chosen to do. I'm not interested.

My point is that I don't understand all the angst from Colts fans regarding this. There's an inferiority complex with some around here where they can't appreciate the good because it wasn't the ultimate good. I'm over all that.

It's not embarrassing to me that the Colts lost to the Patriots by 38 points, and it's not painful for me to remember it, nor am I ashamed of the fact that we came up short and the team still chose to hang a banner. The only thing that kind of bothers me is that it invites all these snide remarks from other fan bases, but I don't care what other fan bases say, either, so really, it doesn't bother me.

That's because reaching the Final Four is essentially like winning the Conference Title game...when a team reaches the Final Four it means they have won their region. Hanging an AFC Finalist banner is more like seeing a 'Elite 8' banner hanging in a stadium.

Look, no one is saying the Colts had a bad season...other teams fans aren't making fun of the Colts for losing the AFCCG, they are making fun of the Colts for raising what is typically a championship banner for simply participating in the game. 

Explain to me again how the final FOUR in the NFL is exactly like the elite EIGHT in NCAA Basketball.  

Maybe we should hang a banner that says, "Divisional Round Champion" instead.  

Also many many NCAA teams put up a banner just for making it to the tournament.  

I don't understand why this is even a story. Who cares?

The difference is that this one commemorates a loss...a big one.

Every year a football team has 3 goals:

1. Win the division

2. Win the conference

3. Win the Superbowl

Most teams hang banners to commemorate when one of those goals is achieved...not just 'participating' in the effort to reach it.

Agreed, they coulda skipped this one.

And I must admit....given that unmitigated disaster, your definitions of "participating" and "effort" are generous.

If it helps them sleep better at night then that's fine by me, lets go actually hang up a meaningful banner. Other then that then whatever floats there boat, I personally hope this is just one of Paganos motivational tactics and this don't become this norm

How is hanging an AFC Finalist banner akin to an Elite 8 banner and not a Final Four banner?  Playing in the AFC Championship game means the team was one of FOUR teams left.

And I must admit....given that unmitigated disaster, your definitions of "participating" and "effort" are generous.

haha  Good point. I realize that no player on the Colts roster gave up intentionally or mailed in a lackluster performance on purpose. I know that. Sometimes, you just run into a buzz saw & get outgunned or overmatched for 1 game. 

If there is a silver lining to being humiliated, it is this: It forces coaches & players to get on the same page & take nothing for granted anymore both weaknesses & strengths. 

For those INDY fans, it doesn't bother [45-7] more power to ya. It disturbs me immensely & I don't wanna see an encore presentation next December. I wanna win or at least make sure the loss is within 3 points & a legendary battle/soon to be NFL Classic. 

When the Colts lose, it ruins my whole week until we suit up & play again.  Okay, I'll shut up now. 

How is hanging an AFC Finalist banner akin to an Elite 8 banner and not a Final Four banner?  Playing in the AFC Championship game means the team was one of FOUR teams left.

Dynasty is really reaching.  

I agree with you. Final Four is Final Four.  

No one seemed to make a stink when we hung our other AFC Finalist banners either.  

Not only is this really old, but it's a complete non-story.  

It's definitely the offseason.

How is hanging an AFC Finalist banner akin to an Elite 8 banner and not a Final Four banner? Playing in the AFC Championship game means the team was one of FOUR teams left.

The ncaa tourney has four regions, i.e. conferences...so when a team reaches the final four, they've essentially won their conference. If you make it to the elite 8...you are one of the final two teams playing to represent your conference. If you win, you are the region/conference's champion, if you lose you were simply a participant-or 'finalist' if you will.

So if a team wins in the Elite 8 round and hangs a Final Four banner, it means they were the regional champions...if they lose in the Elite 8 round and choose to commemorate that with a banner, it would read 'Regional Finalist'

The ncaa tourney has four regions, i.e. conferences...so when a team reaches the final four, they've essentially won their conference. If you make it to the elite 8...you are one of the final two teams playing to represent your conference. If you win, you are the region/conference's champion, if you lose you were simply a participant-or 'finalist' if you will.

So if a team wins in the Elite 8 round and hangs a Final Four banner, it means they were the regional champions...if they lose in the Elite 8 round and choose to commemorate that with a banner, it would read 'Regional Finalist'

You are reaching here to make a point that doesn't matter.

When I said I was at a loss for words earlier, it wasn't because I cared one way or the other about the banner. I was at a loss for words over the scuttlebutt about it.

You are reaching here to make a point that doesn't matter.

When I said I was at a loss for words earlier, it wasn't because I cared one way or the other about the banner. I was at a loss for words over the scuttlebutt about it.

It's just playful banter, of course it's not a big deal. For what it's worth, I've been making fun of your AFC Finalist banners for years, so this isn't just ol' dynasty13 hating on the Colts for no reason ;)

The 1995 and 2003 banners have been up but that was from a time when the Colts were mediocre and you can understand why a team that had a tough history would put up finalist and wildcard banners. But the expectations have changed there after raising both a Super Bowl and AFC Championship banner the last few years...and I honestly thought the participation banners would be left as a relic from a time long past.

Banners are meant to commemorate championships, whether that's a division, conference, or league title...so it just struck me as odd that fans that consider their team as a perennial contender would look up and feel pride when they see a blue participation banner hanging up there with the big white meaningful ones.

I see what you are saying, but still believe it to be flawed logic.  I am not going to debate it though because the whole banner thing is really silly by those that are expressing embarrassment by it and those that are trying to make fun of it.

This is a non-story. The Colts have always done this when making it to the AFC Championship game.

The only reason this is being talked about is because the Boston media/fans are grasping at everything to take the attention away from them cheating to begin with.

It's also hypocritical IMO, for Pats fans to poke fun at it when they themselves have a "16-0 regular season" banner hanging in their stadium.... Only to lose in the Super Bowl that year.

lol. I remember those shirts. Or how about the Texans letterman jerseys when they came to Gillette at 11-1 a few years back? http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Entire-Texans-team-gets-letterman-jackets/1cec546c-cd0d-4c0a-8d19-9f86d4d3d203

Pretty sure they burned those in the trash barrels after the game. haha

If it helps them sleep better at night then that's fine by me, lets go actually hang up a meaningful banner. Other then that then whatever floats there boat, I personally hope this is just one of Paganos motivational tactics and this don't become this norm

It has nothing to do with Pagano what so ever

It has nothing to do with Pagano what so ever

yeah I got that after I realized the Colts have done this a couple times now, Nothing to do with Pagano obviously. No big deal one way or the other, Im just not a fan of it.

haha  Good point. I realize that no player on the Colts roster gave up intentionally or mailed in a lackluster performance on purpose. I know that. Sometimes, you just run into a buzz saw & get outgunned or overmatched for 1 game. 

If there is a silver lining to being humiliated, it is this: It forces coaches & players to get on the same page & take nothing for granted anymore both weaknesses & strengths. 

For those INDY fans, it doesn't bother [45-7] more power to ya. It disturbs me immensely & I don't wanna see an encore presentation next December. I wanna win or at least make sure the loss is within 3 points & a legendary battle/soon to be NFL Classic. 

When the Colts lose, it ruins my whole week until we suit up & play again.  Okay, I'll shut up now.

Yeah....it was just a good old fashioned country whippin'.

I think we've closed the gap a lot....and hopefully we return the favor going forward.

Explain to me again how the final FOUR in the NFL is exactly like the elite EIGHT in NCAA Basketball.  

It's a story, alright. Paying attention to future Super Bowl winners attracks like bees to honey.

It's definitely on the dumb side regardless if it's our team or not.

Especially considering how bad the beating was. I'd understand it way more (but still not approve) if it was a game for the ages where the team lost in a heartbreak.

Just a bad reminder of how 14'ended honestly.

Love the colts, but I 150% disagree with this. And it's really embarrassing, IMO.

No it's not.  I can promise you the Colts hanging a banner in the stadium is not embarrassing you.  Again, this is something that has no one here has a direct personal connection to other than being a fan of a team.  If another team's fanbase making fun of the Colts for it truly bothers you I'd say don't give them the rise they are looking for. 

There is a banner from the year they blown out 41-0 in the wildcard game to the Jets.  It's not about the game it's about the season and showing off that the team has a pedigree of winning.  If fans don't like fine.  Clearly Irsay does and his is the only one's whose vote counts on this one.  I know people are entitled to their opinions and that's fine but the Colts aren't going to start selectively hanging banners based on how the last game of the season went.  They are either going to put them up or not.  The Colts have elected to do it for better or worse.  My advice would be to be just glad you are a fan of a team that has that many banners hanging in the stadium for going to the playoffs because I remember the seasons you were just hoping they would find away to win a game. 

There is a banner from the year they blown out 41-0 in the wildcard game to the Jets.  It's not about the game it's about the season and showing off that the team has a pedigree of winning.  If fans don't like fine.  Clearly Irsay does and his is the only one's whose vote counts on this one.  I know people are entitled to their opinions and that's fine but the Colts aren't going to start selectively hanging banners based on how the last game of the season went.  They are either going to put them up or not.  The Colts have elected to do it for better or worse.  My advice would be to be just glad you are a fan of a team that has that many banners hanging in the stadium for going to the playoffs because I remember the seasons you were just hoping they would find away to win a game. 

Gee, thanks for the advice.

But refresh my memory....when at any time have I posted here or discussed with you that I'm NOT glad to be a Colts fan....regardless of their record?

Gee, thanks for the advice.

But refresh my memory....when at any time have I posted here or discussed with you that I'm NOT glad to be a Colts fan....regardless of their record?

i didn't say you weren't glad to be a Colts fan. You missed my point life as a Colt fan could be and has been worse than a ridiculous debate about if they should raise a banner or not. They are so good they have a reason to raise one, at the end of the day that's much more important than if they should or not.

I wish we hadn't hung the banner.   They already made fun of it on ESPN's Around the Horn.

It's small-time.    It's small market.   I'm not saying it's never been done,  but I think it's rarely done.   Off the top of my head,  I can't even recall any pro team doing this....

I don't think it reflects well on the franchise that I'm a fan of.

But in the grand scheme of things,  it will make no difference to the players and coaches. 

Just wish we hadn't done it...........

I wish we hadn't hung the banner.   They already made fun of it on ESPN's Around the Horn.

It's small-time.    It's small market.   I'm not saying it's never been done,  but I think it's rarely done.   Off the top of my head,  I can't even recall any pro team doing this....

I don't think it reflects well on the franchise that I'm a fan of.

But in the grand scheme of things,  it will make no difference to the players and coaches. 

Just wish we hadn't done it...........

I wonder if there is enough ground swell from Colts fans if they will take it down. Banners are the fans anyways, right? If it is upsetting the fanbase than just take it down.

I do not have a problem with this banner.  We are under a new regime, with all new G.M., coaches, and players.  Getting to the afc championship game with this completely new team for the first time IS an accomplishment.  Yes, it is also a reminder that we got the smoke knocked out of our stacks, but that is good also.  When the team plays there they can look up at it and remember that...and use it as a driving force to get better.