Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts hang an AFC Finalist banner

12isthenew18

i didn't say you weren't glad to be a Colts fan. You missed my point life as a Colt fan could be and has been worse than a ridiculous debate about if they should raise a banner or not.

Yeah, yeah, yeah....I know about the bad years, I started rooting for them well before ROBERT Irsay became their owner.

This banner doesn't rise to the level of a debate for me...and one final quick comment is where I'm leaving it.

....Jimmy can do what he wants and fans can agree or disagree about what he does. Sometimes I agree and sometimes I don't.

Finito.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like this is the year we are going to whip the Patriots to be honest.  I thought our little rut against the Patriots was bad until I watched the story of the 1999(I think) St Louis Rams(Greatest Show On Turf).  As the story was breaking down I didn't realize the Rams previously had been taken to the woodshed by the 49ers an incredible 17 straight games in a row!  I thought our losing streak against New England was bad, but that's terrible. 

The 49ers had gotten to the point where they believed they would win that game 100 percent every single year.  Each time they would beat them they would say "Same ole sorry a_ _ Rams!"  New England hasn't beaten us near as many times as the niners did the Rams, but sometimes you get the feeling they look at us the same way.  Anyways that Greatest Show On Turf Rams team turned the tables on the Niners and started whipping them.  I think the Greatest Shoe On Earth Colts will be turning the table in 2015 as well.  The time eventually comes for the script to get flipped.

Yeah....it was just a good old fashioned country whippin'.

I think we've closed the gap a lot....and hopefully we return the favor going forward.

Yep, it sure was. I like it when people don't deny the obvious & you're right PAC56, I think we addressed some of our holes/weaknesses. 

I would just hang a giant banner that says

"Second place during AFC deflate gate."

Love the sarcasm Jules! haha  You're good at that. It's a gift. I appreciate women born with a piercing satire gene. It's pretty rare. I like people who say directly what everybody else is really thinking. 

I feel like this is the year we are going to whip the Patriots to be honest... Anyways that Greatest Show On Turf Rams team turned the tables on the Niners and started whipping them...I think the Greatest Shoe On Earth Colts will be turning the table in 2015 as well.  The time eventually comes for the script to get flipped.

I appreciate your optimism krunk. Luck's got show me he can cut down on interceptions though, our offensive line must allow Andrew to throw from inside the pocket not scrabbling outside of it...Gore is vital to our success this year, & NE is still an exceptionally well coached team. What am I driving at? The Patriots are the King of the Mountain right now & Indy has never been able to beat the Pats in the Chewbacca regime. 

You can say the script will be flipped this season, but I can't because everytime I say it the Colts get annihilated on the field. In other words, you go ahead & display your confidence my friend while I will wait & see what happens. I have learned not to boast until we make it a competitive rival again. Right now, it's not. Hopefully early in the regular season we will give NE a run for their money. That's all I really want: Mutual respect & fear on both sides. 

I appreciate your optimism krunk. Luck's got show me he can cut down on interceptions though, our offensive line must allow Andrew to throw from inside the pocket not scrabbling outside of it...Gore is vital to our success this year, & NE is still an exceptionally well coached team. What am I driving at? The Patriots are the King of the Mountain right now & Indy has never been able to beat the Pats in the Chewbacca regime. 

You can say the script will be flipped this season, but I can't because everytime I say it the Colts get annihilated on the field. In other words, you go ahead & display your confidence my friend while I will wait & see what happens. I have learned not to boast until we make it a competitive rival again. Right now, it's not. Hopefully early in the regular season we will give NE a run for their money. That's all I really want: Mutual respect & fear on both sides. 

SW1 you go ahead and be reserved. You have every right to do so!  I'm going to display some optimism and confidence. We are talking about 4 games they've handed it to us during the Luck Pagano era.  If we were talking about that 17 from the Rams/49ers match up I'd probably be hiding in the corner too!  I'm not making any guarantees, but I feel this team is veteran, more than talented, and experienced enough now to step in the ring with the champ.  At some point you gotta learn from your mistakes and I think we are ready.  It's just a gut feel for me, and at the end of the day it's just a game so if I'm wrong I don't care! :D

Good lord, what has happened to the sports fan that he/she actually cares about what banners they hang from the rafters? They can hang a "almost made the playoffs 1994" banner for all I care. Don't we better things to worry about? Like how Jim's Twitter ramblings affect the player's psyche.

Not sure if there really is a true answer one way or the other.  More often than not if a team is proud of their accomplishments the team will celebrate it with a banner.   Regardless of what level its represents (seasons (16-0, Division Title), Playoffs (SB title or CG title or respective finalists).

And also a team will want to celebrate a season for as far as they got, and more teams than not, do not have opportunity to hoist a championship title banner, only one team gets to do that in a given year.   Some may not hoist a banner at all others will. 

The Boston Bruins used to hoist Adams Division Title banners, which by the way got the ire of some fans and sports writers here in Boston.   Now that we won a Cup recently I am not sure if they plan to do that in the future, we may consolidate the banner.  But regardless some like to hoist banners and if the team is not as successful to win championships then you hoist the next best thing.

Perhaps down the road of the Colts win another ring, they may consolidate the finalist/division title banners into two respective banners

I have never really seen a finalist banner outside of Indy, but if the team like it so be it.   Its not a banner that is typically raised, but if the colts want to do it, so be it. 

I wish we hadn't hung the banner.   They already made fun of it on ESPN's Around the Horn.

It's small-time.    It's small market.   I'm not saying it's never been done,  but I think it's rarely done.   Off the top of my head,  I can't even recall any pro team doing this....

I don't think it reflects well on the franchise that I'm a fan of.

But in the grand scheme of things,  it will make no difference to the players and coaches. 

Just wish we hadn't done it...........

NCF, anything the Colts do from now on (favorite to win the Super Bowl) is going to be micromanaged to death. Count on it. I too, really don't care one way or the other about the banner. Indianapolis is trending down the same road as it was with Peyton & Co. 2003-2010.

Everything will be put into the national spotlight no matter how minuscule. Is that fair? That depends upon the scrutiny and where it originates. Eye of the beholder? You betcha.

NCF, anything the Colts do from now on (favorite to win the Super Bowl) is going to be micromanaged to death. Count on it. I too, really don't care one way or the other about the banner. Indianapolis is trending down the same road as it was with Peyton & Co. 2003-2010.

Everything will be put into the national spotlight no matter how minuscule. Is that fair? That depends upon the scrutiny and where it originates. Eye of the beholder? You betcha.

It just speaks to the Colts happy go lucky loser mentality

Not sure if there really is a true answer one way or the other.  More often than not if a team is proud of their accomplishments the team will celebrate it with a banner.   Regardless of what level its represents (seasons (16-0, Division Title), Playoffs (SB title or CG title or respective finalists).

And also a team will want to celebrate a season for as far as they got, and more teams than not, do not have opportunity to hoist a championship title banner, only one team gets to do that in a given year.   Some may not hoist a banner at all others will. 

The Boston Bruins used to hoist Adams Division Title banners, which by the way got the ire of some fans and sports writers here in Boston.   Now that we won a Cup recently I am not sure if they plan to do that in the future, we may consolidate the banner.  But regardless some like to hoist banners and if the team is not as successful to win championships then you hoist the next best thing.

Perhaps down the road of the Colts win another ring, they may consolidate the finalist/division title banners into two respective banners

I have never really seen a finalist banner outside of Indy, but if the team like it so be it.   Its not a banner that is typically raised, but if the colts want to do it, so be it. 

This is most likely.  

Let's face it banners look awesome. The more the better. Once you run out of room you have to consolidate.   

Just look at Joe Louis Arena.  

94207645_slide.jpg

It looks sweet. And I hate the Red Wings.  

This is most likely.  

Let's face it banners look awesome. The more the better. Once you run out of room you have to consolidate.   

Just look at Joe Louis Arena.  

94207645_slide.jpg

It looks sweet. And I hate the Red Wings.  

That is pretty cool.

And you just reminded me of one of my favorite names in sports history.

Alex Delvecchio (#10).  I love how his name rolls of the tongue. 

The difference is that this one commemorates a loss...a big one.

depends on how you look at it.  it could also commemorate an 11 win season, taking the divison, and two playoff victories to get to that game.

i personally would not have hung that banner but it doesnt bother me either. 

as for the score of the game, who cares?  we could have lost by a single point or 100,  it makes no difference now.

When did the Jaguars last win a wild card game? I don't remember these shirts, or the discussion, but I bet the fun making was about the fact that the Jaguars are historically bad, and that was probably the last time for awhile that they'd be able to celebrate anything... that's not the case with the Colts.

You're asking me to defend something that I wouldn't have chosen to do. I'm not interested.

My point is that I don't understand all the angst from Colts fans regarding this. There's an inferiority complex with some around here where they can't appreciate the good because it wasn't the ultimate good. I'm over all that.

It's not embarrassing to me that the Colts lost to the Patriots by 38 points, and it's not painful for me to remember it, nor am I ashamed of the fact that we came up short and the team still chose to hang a banner. The only thing that kind of bothers me is that it invites all these snide remarks from other fan bases, but I don't care what other fan bases say, either, so really, it doesn't bother me.

Like I said I wouldn't hang it but I agree with the fact that a season that doesn't end in a championship isn't a failed season. I enjoy watching them every week....especially the wins. Winning a championship is special....but even if they don't I don't look back and discount all the enjoyment I had. It isn't an all or nothing thing like you said. Its refreshing to hear that from others too. Sometimes I get the feeling that those with that attitude are looked down on for not being "FAN" enough. While I don't need to celebrate 2nd...I also don't have to win it all to appreciate a wonderful season.

That must be why the rest of the country is making fun of the Colts right now.

Have some pride! It was one thing back in 1995, and I guess again in 2003 when 'getting to the game' was an achievement. But christ, you have a Superbowl banner and AFC Champions  banner up there now! The expectations have changed and the team shouldn't be permanently commemorating their NFL semifinalist appearance.

Wow I didn't reallize new england was the rest of the country??  Color me shocked  lmao

The only reason the rest of the country is laughing is because of the debacle of cheating by the pats !!!

I don't care much for the banner, but I don't get how it embarrasses people either.

I peruse ESPN, SI, CNN and other sporting sites/blogs pretty regularly and you know what.....they have about as many (if not more) stories about the Pats and deflategate on the Colts pages as Colts stories. Add on all the weeks/months they were writing about Irsay's arrest and now this banner thing and it's like why do I even bother looking for Colts stuff?

This site (and Stampede Blue) are about the only places you can find primarily Colts info but they're heavily moderated and have a very pro Colts/NFL.Inc flavor.

It really looks like we do some foolish things at the most inopportune time.

yes the Colts do this all the time. I personally think it's a tax right off.. Ha!!

however I will say this, I'm fine with this one as I think every single time they go out there all of them should look up and be reminded of how God awful we played that day, especially coming off a huge win and Denver and rolling with momentum.

whatever motivation Irsay thinks this team needs I'm good with

It just speaks to the Colts happy go lucky loser mentality

Who says the Colts have a loser mentality??  No one that I have talked to says that !!!  I'd much rather have a happy go lucky personality than a cheating mentality !!!

The organization has chosen to celebrate losing by having finalist banners

Oh please !!!  :::smh::::   You don't like it, don't look at it then !!!  So that gives us a losing mentality???  Not in my book it doesn't !!!  Other banners have been hanging there for 30 years?  Are we celebrating 30 years of losing??  I think NOT !!!

NewBanner3_zpsudhu6pxb.png

See that would be funny, but you know then some would get offended, because that's what people do now, get offended at anything.  I would fully support that banner though, it would take a * attitude to do, which at this point is what the Colts should tell everyone that is whining about the Finalist banner.

The Colts were terrible for their first 10 years in Indianapolis so when they finally had a deep playoff run in 1995 and lost to Pittsburgh they decided that they better put a loser banner up. When Manning got here and started having success if was either keep putting loser banners up or take the 1995 finalist banner down. So now we have a stadium full of loser banners.

The Colts were terrible for their first 10 years in Indianapolis so when they finally had a deep playoff run in 1995 and lost to Pittsburgh they decided that they better put a loser banner up. When Manning got here and started having success if was either keep putting loser banners up or take the 1995 finalist banner down. So now we have a stadium full of loser banners.

We?  Don't act like you're a fan of the Colts.

I am a fan of the Colts, but I'm not a blind homer, when they do something stupid I don't give them a pass

"Stupid", is in the eye of the beholder, IMO. I'm sure the organization put the banner up for that very reason. "Blind homer"? So, this banner decides that definition if liked? "I don't give them a pass"? Huh? Give them a pass on what? Trying to instill wreckless fandom?

"I am a fan of the Colts"? Then start displaying it. Pasting these kind of posts on the forum, IMO, is just looking for trouble in far too many ways. Why not state you don't like it and be done with it? Burning the team you root for (judging from past posts) in effigistic argument is exactly what "band-wagoners" do, IMO.

Maybe you are ColtsFan, peytonmanning18. Just don't understand why so glum about it.

"Stupid", is in the eye of the beholder, IMO. I'm sure the organization put the banner up for that very reason. "Blind homer"? So, this banner decides that definition if liked? "I don't give them a pass"? Huh? Give them a pass on what? Trying to instill wreckless fandom?

"I am a fan of the Colts"? Then start displaying it. Pasting these kind of posts on the forum, IMO, is just looking for trouble in far too many ways. Why not state you don't like it and be done with it? Burning the team you root for (judging from past posts) in effigistic argument is exactly what "band-wagoners" do, IMO.

Maybe you are ColtsFan, peytonmanning18. Just don't understand why so glum about it.

Put down the blue kool-aid. Um sure you have never disagreed with a move that Grigson or Polian ever made, or a decision that Andrew Luck made, or any number of other things.

I am a fan of the Colts, but I'm not a blind homer, when they do something stupid I don't give them a pass

IMO you are a fan of Manning much more-so than the Colts.  As far as it being a stupid move, are you the arbiter of what is stupid and what is not?

Who cares?

That goes for the Colts fans whining (how are you embarrassed by something like this?) and double for the Patriots fans gloating. 

Thanks for saying that.

I was just scratching my head at the people who say we should be embarrassed by a banner

Put down the blue kool-aid. Um sure you have never disagreed with a move that Grigson or Polian ever made, or a decision that Andrew Luck made, or any number of other things.

Let's see. Concerning this thread so far you've stated ...

Post #16 - "it's embarrassing"

Post # 128 - "hang a banner commemorating the "Suck for Luck" campaign"

Post # 130 - "it just speaks to the Colts happy go lucky loser mentality"

Post # 145 - "The organization has chosen to celebrate losing by having finalist banners"

Post #150 - "So now we have a stadium full of loser banners"

Post #152 - "I am a fan of the Colts, but I'm not a blind homer, when they do something stupid I don't give them a pass"

Post # 154 - "Put down the blue kool-aid"

And finally, the coup-de-gras, and my favorite ...

Post # 20 - "Nothing posted on a message board or done on a football field means anything Its entertainment"

This is far more than disagreeing with Irsay, Grigson, Polian, Pagano, et.al It's quite obvious how you stand where being a fan of the Colts is concerned. And you're telling me to, "Put down the blue kool-aid"? Yeah, okay. Right.

Unwarranted criticism can be blind too. I have read a ton of really dumb, merit-less criticism on this forum over the years, where the authors defend themselves with claims of "keeping it real"...

So maybe you can put down the hate-erade.

My opinion: DON'T CARE. Put up a banner. Don't put up a banner. Doesn't change who I am, what team I root for, how I feel about the team, or anything else. It's just a silly piece of fabric.

Let's see. Concerning this thread so far you've stated ...

Post #16 - "it's embarrassing"

Post # 128 - "hang a banner commemorating the "Suck for Luck" campaign"

Post # 130 - "it just speaks to the Colts happy go lucky loser mentality"

Post # 145 - "The organization has chosen to celebrate losing by having finalist banners"

Post #150 - "So now we have a stadium full of loser banners"

Post #152 - "I am a fan of the Colts, but I'm not a blind homer, when they do something stupid I don't give them a pass"

Post # 154 - "Put down the blue kool-aid"

And finally, the coup-de-gras, and my favorite ...

Post # 20 - "Nothing posted on a message board or done on a football field means anything Its entertainment"

This is far more than disagreeing with Irsay, Grigson, Polian, Pagano, et.al It's quite obvious how you stand where being a fan of the Colts is concerned. And you're telling me to, "Put down the blue kool-aid"? Yeah, okay. Right.

And I will stand by everything I have said in this thread. The banner is embarrassing.

And I will stand by everything I have said in this thread. The banner is embarrassing.

To you.  

Question, why would you be a fan of a team that apparently embarrasses you on a consistent basis?  That seems rather illogical.