Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts have agreed to terms with FA guard Todd Herremans

Dustin

Yep, Decent addition. Played well when HEALTHY in Philly not great last year. Hopefully it's a short term deal with a small amount of Money. He's a decent stop-gap and is a good acquisition because it lets us focus on C, or RT in the draft (Possibly FA too).

Hopefully it's less then Donald Thomas' 3.25M, so we can cut Thomas, and sign Herremans at no extra cost to even making money.

How many centers are we going to draft? We're like the Browns and jags with QB's.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't COUNT on Ballard.... You don't... Right?

no I don't I just find it interesting that so many people, not just you, are calling for Thomas to be released after two seasons of injuries yet no one seems to call for Ballard to be released after two seasons of injuries himself. If anything several people, again not you, seem excited to get him back. I just find that interesting.

I think this is a great singing for a versatile lineman that won't break the bank. Our line looked good in the playoffs and the bigging of the season a little tweak here and there and it will be where it should be. We need some depth at running back and the ground game should come along nicely. If we could get a solid RT I wouldnt be opposed to that.

But we've drafted, or signed rather, other players to play center. Harrison and Holmes in the past two years.

Every team needs depth at center. The Colts don't have a revolving door at center anyways.

2000's-Saturday

2012-2013-Satele

2014-Shipley, Harrison, Holmes.

Harrison hit a rookie wall as Grigson said. Our C position is nothing like the QB positions for the Browns/Jags.

Although it hasn't been too great recently, Holmes should be the C moving forward.

Every team needs depth at center. The Colts don't have a revolving door at center anyways.

2000's-Saturday

2012-2013-Satele

Harrison hit a rookie wall as Grigson said and should be the starter. Our C position is nothing like the QB positions for the Browns/Jags.

I didn't mean that it was now but that is starting to look like it.

2000's-Saturday

2012-2013-Satele

Harrison hit a rookie wall as Grigson said and should be the starter. Our C position is nothing like the QB positions for the Browns/Jags.

Although it hasn't been too great recently, Holmes should be the C moving forward.

Harrison's a joke IMO. I agree Holmes needs to be the starter.

no I don't I just find it interesting that so many people, not just you, are calling for Thomas to be released after two seasons of injuries yet no one seems to call for Ballard to be released after two seasons of injuries himself. If anything several people, again not you, seem excited to get him back. I just find that interesting.

well there is a difference in pay that may be a reason why Ballard is very cheap compared to Thomas who will save millions

2000's-Saturday

2012-2013-Satele

Harrison hit a rookie wall as Grigson said. Our C position is nothing like the QB positions for the Browns/Jags.

Ummm

Since 2008 I think we have had the following:

Jeff Saturday

Mike Pollak

Steve Justice

Kyle DeVan

Jamey Richard

Mike McGlynn

Samson Satele

Zane Taylor

A.Q. Shipley

Khaled Holmes     

Jonotthan Harrison  

Plus probably several other O-lineman that have had some C experience.

Like I said I know we can't get most of the FAs yet, and while I don't hate the signing it's a typical Grigson "bargain bin", "ehhh" signing.

It is a RG that will help the Oline while we short out what we have in Thorton Heenan Harrison Holmes a draft pick etc It was a good signing. We have a lot of young guys capable of maning that spot. We need to sort it out , Iputia was never happening

$731 k is the cap hit. Only way to get someone cheaper is a lower round pick in the draft.

I don't think that's right.  It's not a vet min contract which can get a discount on cap hit.  And it is one year, so it is all against the cap , no prorating anything to future years.  you must have looked at somebody elses number by accident.

He is not the pile driving RG I was looking for, but he is a solid improvement over what we have and have had last year

It's a positive step

We were playing with a '3' last year at RG

We now have a '7' at RG

Not a HOF...... But a big strong guy

But we were THAT bad last year at the spot

We just got a factor better

If our RT goes back to his prior, uninjured year, and our center and left guard marginally improve ...... We will have a chance at a running game

Also....... I have a hunch ..... Just a hunch, that we didn't spend a great deal of cash on this, because Grigs is readying the checkbook for some higher impact players at other spots.......

Herremans was an elite guard, one of the best run blockers in the league, during Chip's first season in Philly.

Last year he was playing injured.  He also tore his biceps in November.

Over his career, he has usually been very healthy and reliable.

Yep, Decent addition. Played well when HEALTHY in Philly not great last year. Hopefully it's a short term deal with a small amount of Money. He's a decent stop-gap and is a good acquisition because it lets us focus on C, or RT in the draft (Possibly FA too).

Hopefully it's less then Donald Thomas' 3.25M, so we can cut Thomas, and sign Herremans at no extra cost to even making money.

Depth is a good thing.

I'm not entirely sure that the Colts intend on cutting Donald Thomas. With the signing of Herremans, there is no rush for Donald Thomas to return back so soon from injury. The Colts can let him fully heal and have depth later in the season. Even without cutting Thomas, the Colts have 40+ million to spend which is plenty.

I'm fine with the signing. Seems like he will make nice competition for our guys. My question though is what happens when philly runs out of lineman that grigson knows or Baltimore runs out of guys that pagano knows. Eventually we have to go out and look at other guys lol. Ok ok kind of a joke but sometimes it feels that way. Again can't complain with the signing but I'm hoping we hit in our draft because I'm not sure about our free agencies....although this one is just beginning.

It is a RG that will help the Oline while we short out what we have in Thorton Heenan Harrison Holmes a draft pick etc It was a good signing. We have a lot of young guys capable of maning that spot. We need to sort it out , Iputia was never happening

It was an "OK" signing.  Thornton and Heenan are the "young guys capable of manning the spot"?  Thornton hasn't shown me much of anything that says he is capable of manning the spot and Heenan hasn't even played in the NFL.  Grigson has had plenty of time to "sort it out", he just needs to step up and spend the money to fix it. "Band-Aid Herreman" isn't the answer. 

On a side note I never said anything about Iupati, and not necessarily in favor of going after him .... you are assuming too much; both about Thornton and Heenan and about what I wanted.